Monday, July 11, 2016

"Mr. Atwood, isn't it terrible?"




https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-07-11-my-white-boss-talked-about-race-in-america-and-this-is-what-happened


By Mandela Schumacher-Hodge Jul 11, 2016


No one at my job said anything. Through all those senseless and horrific deaths of Black men and children at the hands of White police officers, not one person at my job said anything about it. Not one person at my job was Black either.

A few years have passed since I’ve been at that company, but I have never forgotten that feeling; the feeling of being utterly distraught, yet so completely alone in my sadness.

Last night, I couldn’t sleep. I stayed up writing a piece about the first time a White person at work actually acknowledged our long-standing American tragedy of racism, bigotry, and injustice. That first time was this week.

I am a Black woman.

Not only that, I am a Black woman working in tech, one of the most homogeneous industries ever birthed. As a woman in tech, I account for 30% of the tech workforce. As a Black person in tech, I account for 5% of the tech workforce.

But as a Black woman in tech, I account for only 2% of the tech workforce.










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/some-enchanted-evening-1298/trivia/

tv.com


The Simpsons Season 1 Episode 13

Some Enchanted Evening

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 13, 1990 on FOX

Quotes


(Marge calls in to Dr. Marvin Monroe's radio show.)

Marge: Hello. I'd like to talk to Dr. Monroe

Radio Show Producer: (Apathetic) First name, age, problem?

Marge: I'm Marge, 34, and my problem's my husband. He doesn't listen to me. He doesn't appreciate me, I don't know how much more of this I can--

Radio Show Producer: Hey, lady, save your whining for when you're on the air, okay?



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 10:52 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 11 July 2016