Wednesday, December 04, 2013

"Those signs!!!!"




http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 4

It was an hour past nightfall.

Starkey sat alone at a long table, sifting through sheets of yellow flimsy. Their contents dismayed him. He had been serving his country for thirty-six years, beginning as a scared West Point plebe. He had won medals. He had spoken with Presidents, had offered them advice, and on occasion his advice had been taken. He had been through dark moments before, plenty of them, but this…

He was scared, so deeply scared he hardly dared admit it to himself. It was the kind of fear that could drive you mad.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 22


“Private Bruce,” Starkey said softly, “at ease.”










"Space: Above And Beyond"

"Toy Soldiers"

18 February 1996

Episode 16 DVD:

00:02:25


US Marine Corps 1LT Shane Vansen: Look at the way they're looking at us.

US Marine Corps 1LT Cooper Hawkes: Like we know something.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:16:08 -0800 (PST)

From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Re: Sleep journal 3/6/06

To: "Kerry Burgess"


Kerry Burgess wrote:
I walked down to a lake, but the lake was fenced off. There was a chain link fence surrounding the lake and I could only look at it. The lake looked familar, Greason maybe, but I also recognized some CDA features. Some other stuff happened around the lake I can't quite remember. There were a few people there I didn't know, the people I think of as familiar strangers, they look like they know me but I don't know them.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 6 March 2006 excerpt ends]





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_State_Park


Daisy State Park


Daisy State Park is a state park in southwestern Arkansas administered by the Arkansas Department of Parks. Daisy State Park is located in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains at the northern end of Lake Greeson










http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr/20/nation/na-sanborn20

Los Angeles Times


'Master of Their Skies'

In 1991, Marine pilot Russell Sanborn was a POW in Iraq. Beaten and starved then, he returned last year for combat and 'closure.'

April 20, 2004 Kevin Sack Times Staff Writer

CHERRY POINT, N.C. — Flying 20,000 feet over Baghdad last year, Marine Corps pilot Lt. Col. Russell A.C. Sanborn spotted the landmark he had been imagining for more than 12 years.

Using coordinates he had jotted on a scrap of paper and stored in a flight suit pocket, Sanborn guided his AV-8B Harrier attack jet over the Rashid prison in the heart of the smoldering city. With the help of a high-powered targeting scope, he was able to identify the contours of the compound on a screen in his cockpit.

"There is home, sweet home," he radioed to his wingman.

In the 1991 Persian Gulf War, as a newly promoted captain, Sanborn had been shot down in his single-seat plane over the Iraqi-occupied Kuwaiti desert. With the uncontrollable jet hurtling inverted toward the sand, he ejected safely but was quickly captured by Iraqi troops. For 26 days, he was held in a small, dank and unsanitary cell and tortured viciously by his captors.

After his liberation, his body withered from dysentery, his eardrums burst from the beatings, Sanborn could have retired to nurse his wounds and accept the gratitude of his country.

Instead, he returned to flying the Harrier -- statistically the military's most dangerous plane -- six weeks after he walked out of Rashid. He hasn't stopped since.

When U.S. troops were sent to Iraq last year, Sanborn went without hesitation. He had risen to become the second in command of his squadron, managing 16 planes and 250 Marines. His squadron is scheduled to return to Iraq early next year for a one-year rotation, with Sanborn as commanding officer. "Looks like I'll get a third try to get it right," he said.

Before Sanborn left for Iraq last year, his 10-year-old son, Jacob, one of five towheaded children he fathered between wars, offered parting advice: "Dad," he said, "this time, fly higher, fly faster."

Sanborn did just that and completed 19 missions without incident, primarily bombing Iraqi tanks and artillery positions. He did not fulfill his quiet wish to destroy the prison where he had been beaten and starved. But just streaking over the site, free from any Iraqi threat, provided a certain satisfaction.

"I was in charge again, flying at will over the country that imprisoned me and thumped me for 26 days," Sanborn, 41, said in an interview at the Marine Corps Air Station here, his first since the end of the air war. "Now I was the master of their skies, free to come and go as I pleased and return to my ship when I wanted. After that flight, I felt like I had some closure on the whole event."

That is an interesting observation for Sanborn, because he and those who know him say his imprisonment left remarkably few psychological scars -- a single nightmare, an occasional moment of reflection, but little more. It was only one month of his life, he said, ultimately no more traumatic than a few bad weeks at the office.










At some point I wrote about how I could still visualize seeing Tracie sitting on the trunk of my her car as she waited for me to return to my apartment at Hunter's Glen on Issaqueena in Central South Carolina which is a small town bordering the other small town of Clemson South Carolina. I can still visualize that detail. That must have been the year 1992. The way I remember it I had just moved back to South Carolina after I had lived a few weeks in Memphis. I thought I had written before about that memory but I couldn't find anything after a quick search and I don't feel like spending another few hours searching for it as I have to for just about any other blog post I make especially considering no one reads this compelling stuff.










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spoiler

Dictionary.com


spoiler

Sports. a team out of final contention that defeats a potential or favored contender and thereby thwarts its chances of winning a championship.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/01/07 7:33 AM
I moved out to Central, SC, even though that was a long drive into the office in Greenville, but I was close to where Tracie lived with her parents and I got to see her everyday from then on. I was living there at Hunter's Glen off Issaqueena Trail.

I called Thedia and she wondered where I had been for a long time as I had not talked to any of them.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/01/07 7:45 AM
But I always hoped to see Rachel again. I still "remember" her with.....something and I can't figure out how to finish that sentence.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/01/07 7:47 AM
Last time I "remember," she was living with a guy that had the unusal last name of Corn. I wanted her back.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/01/07 8:18 AM
I can still visualize that last time I saw Rachel. She was leaving my apartment one morning after we spent the night together. I was feeling incredible. I look back at it as a feeling that everything was right in the world. I "remember" thinking later over the years of just how wrong I was. That would be the last day I saw her.

It was the morning of Halloween. She had called me the day before and I was very happy to hear from her. Other thoughts suggest she was disappointed that I was so eager to have sex with her while she just wanted to spend some time with me; probably something about forming an emotional foundation between us. But that morning of Halloween, I was on top of the world and I couldn't wait to see her again. The next thoughts I have are of a few days later, on my birth day, which was November 2nd. I was wanting to see her and my memories about what was supposed to happen are vague. There is something about her going out of town to see a relative; her aunt maybe. The next thoughts I have are of coming home that night of 11/2 to find she had left a voice message for me and I was very excited to hear from her because I wanted to see her again. I can't explain where the next thoughts come from. It is as though someone told me this part but I can't "remember" ever having such a conversation. Plus, I don't recall that we had common friends that would even relay such information to me. So anyway, I didn't hear from her again after that voice message because she was angry that I wasn't home that night. She thought I was out on a date with some other woman and I wasn't at home on my birth day to wait for her to call. And I have thought about those details that I don't understand how I knew what she was feeling because it seemed unfair. I wasn't out on a date that night. I was on-call for First Federal that week and I had been called out to repair an ATM machine. The person from the bank that let me in the bank was Maria Coleman and around the time Rachel left that message, I was sitting in a nearby Hardee's after I had fixed the machine and I was talking with Maria about how much I cared about Rachel and that I couldn't wait to see her again.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 01 May 2007 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/10/07 2:59 AM
Those signs!!!!

I have these elaborate "memories" of a time I created some signs to put up along the road that Tracie would see as she was driving to work. I can't remember the message; basically signs that I loved her. I asked her later if she had seen them and she told me she had seen them. She was happy and she said that she had wished they were for her but I guess she didn't know. She drove back and picked them and I can still visualize seeing them in the trunk of her car.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/10/07 3:15 AM
I don't know what the hell these goddamned paparazzi bastards are doing but it probably reflects an attempt to make me think I am going home soon. The POW guards always do that. "You're going home today, Ray." "Tomorrow, Ray, you'll be at home." Stinking bastards.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/10/07 10:14 AM
What was that Tom Clancy title I was reading in the Pioneer Square gulag? It was the one about "Ryan's" wife finding out about the family "Ryan" was supporting that she didn't know about and she was surprised to find out about it.

I have also been thinking about those 11/2/2000 news articles where George W. Bush was saying that not even his daughters knew about his 1976 DUI's.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 10 May 2007 excerpt ends]










1990 film "The Hunt for Red October" DVD video:

01:49:18


Bill Steiner - DSRV: Hit the lights. Jesus, that's a big sucker, huh?










From 5/10/1979 ( premiere US TV series episode "Time Express"::"Rodeo/Cop" ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 4488 days

4488 = 2244 + 2244

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/25/1971 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States confined to federal prison in Mexico for illegally smuggling narcotics in Mexico ) is 2244 days



From 6/12/1924 ( George Herbert Walker Bush the Severely Treasonous agent of Communist China and the Soviet Union and the International War Criminal violently against the United States of America ) To 1/21/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut bound for deep space in his privately financed nuclear-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the planet Mars and his documented and lawful exclusive claim to the territory of the planet Mars ) is 18850 days

18850 = 9425 + 9425

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 9425 days



From 9/29/1963 ( premiere US TV series "My Favorite Martian" ) To 7/19/1989 ( Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush kills 111 passengers and crew of United Airlines Flight 232 and destroys the United Airlines Flight 232 aircraft because I was a passenger of United Airlines Flight 232 as United States Navy Petty Officer Second Class Kerry Wayne Burgess and I was assigned to maintain custody of a non-violent offender military prisoner of the United States ) is 9425 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 9425 days



From 12/23/1926 ( premiere US film "Tell It to the Marines" ) To 8/2/1978 ( premiere US film "Eyes of Laura Mars" ) is 18850 days

18850 = 9425 + 9425

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 9425 days



From 2/22/1948 ( premiere US film "Oklahoma Badlands" ) To 12/12/1973 ( premiere US film "The Last Detail" ) is 9425 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 9425 days



From 12/18/1969 ( premiere US film "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" ) To 8/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" ) is 7918 days

7918 = 3959 + 3959

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/4/1976 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States arrested again by police in the United States ) is 3959 days



[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2012/06/harley-davidson-and-marlboro-man-1991.html ]


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102005/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991)

Country Date

USA 23 August 1991










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0723646/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

"Time Express"

Rodeo/Cop (1979)

Country Date

USA 10 May 1979


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0723646/

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Time Express (TV series 1979)

Rodeo/Cop (#1.3)


Vincent Price ... Jason Winters


Release Date: 10 May 1979 (USA)










http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1990_702920


chron Houston Chronicle Archives


Bush sets 30-year Mars goal/`It's time to open the final frontier'

GREG McDONALD, Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau Staff

SAT 05/12/1990 HOUSTON CHRONICLE


KINGSVILLE - President Bush called Friday for Americans to land on Mars within 30 years, heralding a "new age of exploration.' He called for an expanded manned exploration of space in the interest of "regaining and maintaining America's high-tech competitive edge.' His comments in a commencement address at Texas A&I University were reminiscent of President Kennedy's call for a manned mission to the moon by 1970. But Bush's timetable for a Mars landing was considerably less ambitious.

"Thirty years from now I believe man will stand on another planet," he said, announcing his desire to put American astronauts on Mars by the year 2019, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo landing on the moon.

"It's time to open up the final frontier," the president told the 407 A&I graduates. "America's space program is what civilization needs to begin this journey and to perfect the commitment to go beyond.' Bush's speech was mostly a restatement of the goals he spelled out July 20, 1989, when he first called for a manned Mars mission and the establishment of a permanent space station and a base on the moon.

But, the A&I speech marked the first time he had set a timetable and reflected increased concern that America's leadership role in science and technology has been eclipsed by Japan and some European countries. Privately, some government officials are already warning that a unified Germany could pose the most serious threat to the U.S. standing.

Bush's remarks drew quick praise from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and the Planetary Society, an influential public interest group headed by astronomer Carl Sagan that advocates joint exploration of Mars with the Soviets.

"I think (Bush) is sending a signal this is for real and that he's going to fight for it," said Bruce Murray, vice president of the Planetary Society and a professor of planetary science at the California Institute of Technology.

Murray said the timing of Bush's remarks was particularly significant because they came just days before the administration's budget summit with Congress, where some lawmakers say the $500 billion dollar price tag for the Mars initiative is too high.

"The agency couldn't help but be happy. It was certainly an uplifting speech, and it's certainly nice to know that you have a president who is behind what you believe in," said NASA spokesman David Garrett in Washington.

In his speech, Bush said: "Together, these objectives form the cornerstone of my administration's far-reaching plan for investing in America's future.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/H/Harley_Davidson_and_the_Marlboro_Man.html

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man


Was that intense or what?
We gotta go back, Harley.
What the fuck you talkin' about?
We survived. It's over.
It ain't over.
Hey, man, it's definitely over. See this?
It's out of commission.
That means that them fuckers can't keep|comin' out of nowhere any more.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/E/Event_Horizon.html


Event Horizon [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


All right. Stations, people.
Crossing the horizon. Optimum|approach angle is 14 degrees.
Come around to 3-3-4.
3-3-4.
Make your approach|vector negative 14 degrees.
1-4 degrees.
Locked on Event Horizon's|navigation beacon.
She's in the upper ionosphere,
and it looks like|we're in for some heavy chop!
- Bring us in tight.|- Yes, sir.
- Mr Justin, how's my ship?|- Smooth sailing, sir.
Matching speed on my mark.
Three, two, one, mark!
- Range?|- 10,000 metres, sir.
Check radio.|See if anybody's listening.
This is the USAC Lewis & Clark|hailing Event Horizon.
Event Horizon, do you read?
Dr Weir!|I think you'll want to see this.
- Where is she?|- Dead ahead, 5,000 metres!
- Starck?|- Event Horizon, do you read?
3,000 metres and closing!
- Can't see anything!|- 1 ,500 metres, sir. Too close.
- Where is it?|- Right in front!
- 1 ,000 metres.|- Proximity warning!
900! 800!
700!
- We're gonna hit!










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/H/Harley_Davidson_and_the_Marlboro_Man.html


Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man


Sorry I'm late. I had a layover in Denver.
- (Harley) Are you and me friends?|- Sure, we're friends.
Then how come, with all this shit|that me and you have been through,
I've asked you the same question|a thousand times
and you ain't never answered me?
What question?
What's with you and those fuckin' boots?
My old man gave me these boots.
First time I rode in a professional rodeo.










http://www.cswap.com/1998/Armageddon/cap/en/25fps/a/01_15

Armageddon


1:17:14
Pretty intense, huh?

1:17:16
That's why I told you, "Touch nothing."

1:17:19
But you're bunch of cowboys.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/H/Hunt_For_Red_October_CD2.html


Hunt For Red October


Dallas, this is the Mystic.
Request clearance for launch.
Mystic, Dallas. You're cleared for launch.
Hatch is secured.
Life support, normal. Prelaunch checks complete.
We're ready to launch.
Aye.
Flood the skirt.
Flood the skirt. Aye.
Skirt's filled and equalized.
Soft seal. Ready to lift off.
OK. Let's do it.
We're off.
Thrusting port.
600 yards and closing.
Steer right to course 0-7-5.
400.
200 yards.
100 yards.
Hit the lights.
Jesus, that's a big sucker.
OK, we're in position.
You can open the hatch.
Hold it a second.
Jonesy.
Mr. Ryan.
He's defecting.
And he can't change his mind?
He's not going to change his mind.
You willing to bet your life on that?
Uh, sir, could you hand me that hammer?
Yeah.
Americans.
What's so funny?
Well, the captain seems to think
you're some sort of cowboy.
It is.
I doubt you'd remember,
but we met once at the consulate in Leningrad.
Along with your wife.
I'm very sorry.
What gives you the right to fire on my ship?
Your signal said nothing of a torpedo.










http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-11-07/news/9411080269_1_cane-coos-county-wonderful-life

Chicago Tribune


EVENING. People. QUOTES OF THE DAY.

`If you take a car and drive 150 m.p.h. into a brick wall...


November 07, 1994


`If you take a car and drive 150 m.p.h. into a brick wall, I don't care how many seat belts and airbags you have, you're in trouble.'-Terrence Weisshaar, professor of aeronautical engineering at Purdue University, on the feasibility of designing airplanes that would leave survivors in crashes.


`Angels, boy, do I have angels.'

-Karolyn Grimes-Wilkerson, 54, who still gets fan mail and gifts for her role as James Stewart's daughter, ZuZu, in the 1946 holiday classic, "It's a Wonderful Life."

`Sometimes God takes from us the most precious jewels in life so he can give them back to us in eternity.'

-The Rev. Joe Bridges at the funeral Sunday for the two young brothers whose mother is charged with drowning in her car.

`. . . more beautiful than I could ever have imagined.'

-Jean-Francios Clervoy, Atlantis shuttle astronaut, describing space to his 11-year-old son during a call from Paris to the shuttle.

`Even if Michael does come back, this is really something to look at.'

-Larry Hill, a spectator admiring the detail in Chicago's hottest new tourist attraction, the Michael Jordan bronze statute at the United Center.

`I dropped to the lowest . . . .'

-Susan Smith, in her reported confession to police that she let her two sons go down a ramp into a lake without her.

`I don't know how she managed to stay under the darn thing, but she did.'










http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-07-16/news/9507160145_1_susan-smith-trial-mentally-insane

Chicago Tribune

Susan Smith Trial: Insanity And Mental Illness Are Not The Same

July 16, 1995 By Bill Hendrick. and Bill Hendrick writes for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

ATLANTA — Susan Smith's confession doesn't even hint she was psychotic when she strapped her two kids into her 1990 Mazda and rolled it into John D. Long Lake. She's never been diagnosed as schizophrenic or paranoid.

Yet she's expected to insist she killed her kids, Michael, 3, and Alex, 14 months, because she was mentally ill and couldn't control her actions or didn't know right from wrong.

It's certain she killed them. It's just as certain the arguments of defense and prosecution psychiatrists about her state of mind will make the mind-numbing DNA evidence presented at O.J. Simpson's trial seem as simple as the ABCs.

That's because the mind sciences are mostly theoretical-not based on physical evidence-and thus much more open to wildly varying opinions, even about the same person's sanity.

Jurors in the Smith trial, which started last week in Union, S.C., will face the daunting task not only of "getting inside" the defendant's mind at the time of the crime, but also of sorting out notions that most people find hard to fathom:

Mental illness and insanity are not synonymous. Millions of people suffer mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety and phobias, but aren't insane.

Insanity means a person is delusional, psychotic, schizophrenic or otherwise out of touch with reality and unable to distinguish right from wrong.

Experts foresee a "war between the shrinks," with Smith's attorneys arguing such a heinous crime, committed by a person who until then seemed normal, is ample evidence Smith wasn't in her right mind. They'll say she was too depressed to comprehend or control what she was doing, and that she needs psychiatric help the state could provide.

The prosecution will attempt to portray Smith as cold-blooded and calculating, insisting that she meets South Carolina's definition of sanity-that she knew right from wrong, knew what she was doing and could have stopped herself but didn't.

Both sides are likely to have psychiatric specialists backing these opposing claims.

"You hire enough shrinks, you get enough answers," said Richard Ault Jr., 53, who spent many of his 24 years in the FBI in its famed behavioral science unit at Quantico, Va., trying to figure out what makes killers tick.

It's probable that jurors will buy the argument that she was, and may still be, mentally ill, said law professor William McAninch of the University of South Carolina. The question is: Will the jury deem her legally insane?

The South Carolina Department of Mental Health, which examined Smith, diagnosed her as having severe depression. But defense experts will have a harder time proving she is insane.

Ault, for one, doesn't believe Smith is legally insane.

"Look," Ault said, "it's crazy to kill your kids, and people might think, `Therefore, she's crazy.' But I don't believe that. There are people out there I run across who simply are totally rational. They seem to have all their faculties. The only thing I can think (accounts) for what they do is evilness."

Defense psychiatrists will contend otherwise, that Smith couldn't stop herself because of "mental defect," said Dr. Harold Morgan, a forensic psychiatrist at South Carolina Medical School.

That's what her confession seems to imply, McAninch said. She said she was so depressed she intended to kill herself and take her kids with her so they wouldn't have to grow up without a mother. But, for reasons she can't explain, she got out of the car before letting it roll into the lake.

Her confession will make her "sound crazy" to some jurors, said Dr. James Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston. Fox added that jurors also will be told that most people who try to kill themselves are legally sane.

To find her innocent by reason of insanity, the jury must decide not only that she was mentally ill, but that she couldn't distinguish right from wrong. Psychiatric testimony on that point is bound to differ and to baffle jurors.

Defense psychiatrists are likely to argue that Smith was so depressed she was delusional and couldn't tell right from wrong-and thus insane. If jurors believe that, she would face psychiatric treatment, but the promise of eventual freedom instead of death, said McAninch.

Jurors would have to believe that-had somebody stopped her before the crime and asked, "Is drowning two little children wrong?"-she would have answered "no" or wouldn't have known, said Dr. Peter Ash of Grady Memorial Hospital and a professor of forensic psychiatry at the Emory School of Medicine.

"It would be very hard for someone with depression to meet that test," he said. "You can quibble about how many mental problems you need to have to be insane, but if you talk to anybody charged with murder, you're going to find some emotional functioning that isn't normal."










http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19950709&slug=2130269

The Seattle Times


Sunday, July 9, 1995

Cosmonauts Blast U.S. Mate

AP

MOSCOW - Russian cosmonauts were shocked by U.S. astronaut Norman Thagard's "whining" about life aboard the Mir space station, a newspaper said yesterday.

In interviews from space during his nearly four-month voyage, Thagard said the food was dull and that it was bothersome to record every meal for doctors on the ground.

He also complained that he heard hardly any world news, was lonely without his family and, while fluent in Russian, was unable to talk to anyone in English.

"The cosmonauts regret Norman Thagard's scandalous interviews," said the newspaper Izvestia. "The common assessment was that he had been whining."

The newspaper said Russian space officials saw that the 115-day flight had become difficult for Thagard during televised interviews with the crew, when the astronaut appeared passive and reluctant to speak.

"However, it was hardly reasonable for Mission Control to switch into English," it said. "And it was impossible to set a separate table for the American."

Thagard blasted off into space on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan on March 14 with cosmonauts Vladimir Dezhurov and Gennady Strekalov. The three returned to Earth on Friday aboard the space shuttle Atlantis.










http://www.tv.com/shows/stephen-kings-the-stand/the-plague-1178981/trivia/

tv.com


Stephen King's The Stand Season 1 Episode 1

The Plague


Aired Sunday 12:00 AM May 08, 1994 on ABC

Quotes


Rae: (to another caller) Hi there, you're on the air.

Caller: Hey Rae, you alright?

Rae: Well to tell you the truth, honey, it doesn't look very good to the kid right now. Several soldiers have just broken into they studio, they're fully armed and dressed in some kind of protective clothing, they're wearing respirators on their faces.

(soldiers bust into the studio room)

Soldier: Shut it down!

Rae: Hey Bluto, you ever hear about a little thing called Freedom of Speeech? The Bill of Rights? Any of that ring a bell? Folks, I've just been ordered by my uninvited, facist guests to shut down, but I've refused.










http://www.tv.com/shows/stephen-kings-the-stand/the-plague-1178981/trivia/

tv.com


Stephen King's The Stand Season 1 Episode 1

The Plague


Aired Sunday 12:00 AM May 08, 1994 on ABC

Quotes


Rae Flowers: (to a caller) You say you saw these G.I.s gunning down unarmed civilians?

Soldier: Open up in the name of the United States army!

Rae: Tell you what, Portsman, it looks like the Marines have landed and they don't look too happy.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 04:59 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Wednesday 04 December 2013