Saturday, August 08, 2015

"They're not Swedish, Mac. They're Norwegian."




http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/71211/Clancy_-_Rainbow_Six.html


Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six


CHAPTER 4


Popov, too, was settled into his bed, having knocked back four stiff vodkas while watching the local television news, followed by an editorial panegyric to the efficiency of the local police. As yet they weren't giving out the identity of the robbers-that was how the crime was being reported, somewhat to Popov's disappointment, though on reflection he didn't know why. He'd established his bona fides for his employer… and pocketed a considerable sum of money in the bargain. A few more performances like this one and he could live like a king in Russia, or a prince in many other countries. He could know for himself the comfort he'd so often seen and envied while he was a field intelligence officer with the former KGB, wondering then how the hell his country could ever defeat nations which spent billions on amusement in addition to billions more on military hardware, all of which was better than anything his nation had produced-else why would he have so often been tasked to discovering their technical secrets? That was how he'd worked during the last few years of the Cold War, knowing even then who would win and who would lose.

But defection had never been an option. What was the point in selling out his country for a minor stipend and an ordinary job in the West? Freedom? That was the word the West still pretended to worship. What was the good of being able to wander around at liberty when you didn't have a proper automobile in which to do it? Or a good hotel in which to sleep when one got there? Or the money to buy the food and drink one needed to enjoy life properly? No, his first trip to the West as an "illegal" field officer without a diplomatic cover had been to London, where he'd spent much of his time counting the expensive cars, and the efficient black taxis one took when too lazy to walk-his important movement had been in the "tube," which was convenient, anonymous, and cheap. But "cheap" was a virtue for which he had little affection. No, capitalism had the singular virtue of rewarding people who had chosen the correct parents, or had been lucky in business. Rewarding them with luxury, convenience, and comfort undreamed of by the czars themselves. And that was what Popov had instantly craved, and wondered even then how he might get it. A nice expensive car-a Mercedes was the one he'd always desired-and a proper large flat close to good restaurants, and money to travel to places where the sand was warm and the sky blue, the better to attract women to his side, as Henry Ford must have done, he was sure. What was the point of having that sort of power without the will to use it?

Well, Popov told himself, he was closer than ever to realizing it. All he had to do was set up a few more jobs like this one in Bern. If his employer was willing to pay that much money for fools-well, a fool and his money were soon parted; a Western aphorism he found delightfully appropriate. -And Dmitriy Arkadeyevich was no fool. With that satisfied thought, he lifted his remote and turned his TV off. Tomorrow, wake up, breakfast, make his bank deposit, and then take a cab to the airport for the Swissair flight to New York. First class. Of course.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: posted by H.V.O.M at 8:28 PM Thursday, September 15, 2005


Behavior control

Had some weird dreams lately. I think they are in my head again. How they are doing it I do not know. I have searched the internet for a long time to get more clues on it, primarily to find other instances of something like this happening. As I documented earlier, it is known that external noises can influence a person's dreams. What I have been trying to do is determine whether someone is trying to control my mind. I don't think they are controlling my mind and that everything I do is my own free-will, but it just all really agitates me. I have actually found U.S. Patents for devices and methods to control behavior, but whether this stuff really works, I don't know. Most of it sounds like a bunch of X-Files-nonsense to me. Here's one I found with a short description for U.S. Patent 6,258,022:

[ internet hyperlink lost: ] Behavior modification of a human subject takes place under hypnosis, when the subject is in a relaxed state. [ internet hyperlink ]

The complete description includes a device which isn't present in my situation, but there is a lot of other similarity to make me wonder. Last year, I read about a device that can channel sound like a spotlight does to light. It creates a narrow beam of sound that can be projected to a specific location. I suspect they are using something like that in my situation. Or maybe I am psychic, hell I don't know, I would pretty much believe anything at this point, even though I don't believe in supernatural stuff like that.

I am going to describe a dream I had earlier today, because as strange as it seems, I think I am supposed to. I think someone is testing me and they want me to relay to them what they sent to my sleeping mind. I guess they want to see how much detail I remember when I am awake or something like that. It has happened a couple times lately but I have resisted writing about it. Mainly because it agitates me so to be manipulated like this.

I had that dream again about the house I bought in South Carolina back in the early '90s. I loved that place, it was quiet and relaxing. That house is always the central element in dreams I have sometime. There are usually variations to the situation, but the house is always there. And there is usually another element to the dream. In the dream, I discover that I still own the house and I can go back there any time I want, even at the very moment I realize it is still there. It is a great feeling to know I can sleep there that very night if I want to.

In this dream last night though, there is something about my nieces. One of them has bought the house and will live there now. This is one of ten houses that one of ten nieces is getting. Not sure what that means, I only have two nieces. So anyway, I have two cars parked outside. One is that Mazda RX-7, and just like re-discovering the house in the prior dreams, this car is suddenly mine again and I am very happy to see it. I faced a dilemma though about how to get two cars back to my place, whereever that was. There is a lot of food in one car and I am transferring it from one to the RX-7. It was dark. Then I found myself at what seemed to be my own place in the country, the grass was very high. Never seen this place before, but there seems to be something slightly familiar about it. Next image I remember is my Jeep blocking the entrace of my driveway. But the postman has driven around it and is delivering the mail. He has a lot to deliver. At one point, he walks up to the house, or the garage, but I do not talk with him. Before this, I had been walking around the property and there are a lot of other buildings with purposes I don't know but they have a lot of objects, tools and such, cluttered around. I am standing on the porch about to go in and a woman throws open a hatch on the porch and starts climbing up from under the porch. She is carrying a fishing tackle box and something else I don't recognize. She is a scientist or something. She is on some kind of expedition to go out and cause frogs, I think it was, to contract the "mumps." I don't know why she was doing it, but she said they weren't doing it themselves. I woke up at this point and I could hear some loud-mouth in another room on this floor talking loudly next to his window about how he never contracted the mumps when he was a kid even though he had actually tried to contract it by getting into bed with someone that had the mumps.

I'm not sure if this dream happened after I went back to sleep or it had occured earlier, but I was in that unfamilar house there in the country and I was trying to get ready. I was meeting some family members in town for lunch but I kept getting interrupted. At one point, the clock read 1:38 pm but I had to be there at 2pm and I had not even showered or shaved yet. I didn't know how to get in touch with them to let them know I would be late.

The other dream I had was about fighting some kind of aliens. I'm not sure if this dream happened before the one I wrote about above or if it happened later. In this dream, I am still in the Navy, but I am wearing some kind of camoflauge uniform, maybe army or marines. These aliens have invaded a subway and there are a lot of travelers around in danger. I am about to drop from exhaustion after 36 hours of fighting, we have been retreating and I am separated from the other soldiers. I am carrying two heavy packs, trying to find another unit to group up with, with passengers stream through the facility, they are even getting on the trains as some of them are still coming through. I have lost my rifle somewhere. I still have plenty of ammo, but I can't find a rifle. A woman at a coffee kisok says something to me that I don't remember, she has dried blood on her hands as she is preparing coffee. Then I am outside and I have found an armory where I get another rifle. I start heading back to the subway. A woman drives up in a car and asks me if I am who she thinks I am. But I can't remember seeing her actually in the car, all I can remember is seeing her buried in the dirt with only her talking face exposed. That is all I remember.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 15 September 2005 excerpt ends]










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/71211/Clancy_-_Rainbow_Six.html


Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six


CHAPTER 37

DYING FLAME


The race started on time. The fans cheered the marathon runners as they took their first lap around the stadium, then disappeared out the tunnel onto the streets of Sydney, to return in two and a half hours or so. In the meantime, their progress would be followed on the Jumbotron for those who sat in the stadium seats, or on the numerous televisions that hung in the ramp and concourse areas. Trucks with remote TV transmitters rolled in front of the lead runners, and the Kenyan, Jomo Nyreiry, held the lead, closely followed by Edward Fulmer, the American, and Willem terHoost, the Dutchman, the leading trio not two steps apart, and a good ten meters ahead of the next group of runners as they passed the first milepost.

Like most people, Wil Gearing saw this on his hotel room TV as he packed. He'd be renting diving gear tomorrow, the former Army colonel told himself, and he'd treat himself to the best diving area in the world, in the knowledge that the oceanic pollution that was harming that most lovely of environments would soon be ending. He got all of his clothing organized in a pair of Tumi wheeled suitcases and set them by the door of the room. He'd be diving while all the ignorant plague victims flew off to their homes across the world, not knowing what they had and what they'd be spreading. He wondered how many would be lost to Phase One of the Project. Computer projections predicted anywhere from six to thirty million, but Gearing thought those numbers conservative. The higher the better, obviously, because the "A" vaccine had to be something that people all over the globe would cry out for, thus hastening their own deaths. The real cleverness of it was that if medical tests on the vaccine recipients showed Shiva antibodies, they'd be explained away by the vaccine-"A" was a live virus vaccine, as everyone would know. Just a little more live than anyone would realize until it was a little too late.

It was ten hours later in New York, and there in the safe house Clark, Popov, Sullivan, and Chatham sat, watching network coverage of the Olympic games, like millions of other Americans. There was nothing else for them to do. It was boring for them all, as none were marathoners, and the steps of the leading runners were endlessly the same.

"The heat must be terrible to run in," Sullivan observed.

"It's not fun," Clark agreed.

"Ever run in a race like this?"

"No." John shook his head. "But I've had to run away from things in my time, mainly Vietnam. It was pretty hot there, too."

"You were there?" Popov asked.

"A year and a half's worth. Third SOG-Special Operations Group."

"Doing what?"

"Mainly looking and reporting. Some real operations, raids, assassinations, that sort of thing, taking out people we really didn't like." Thirty years ago, John thought. Thirtyyears. He'd given his youth to one conflict, and his manhood to another, and now, in his approaching golden years, what would he be doing? Was it really possible, what Popov had told him? It seemed so unreal, but the Ebola scare had been real as hell. He remembered flying all over the world about that one, and he remembered the news coverage that had shaken his country to its very foundations-and he remembered the terrible revenge that America had taken as a result.










From 12/17/2013 To 9/30/2014 ( the United States Centers for Disease Control announces confirmation of the first known case of Ebola in the United States and everybody knows the disease was distributed by Microsoft Corbis Bill Gates ) is 287 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/16/1966 ( the United States Congress House Un-American Activities Committee begins investigating Americans who have given aid to the Viet Cong ) is 287 days



From 5/1/1992 ( Rodney King "can we all get along?" ) To 12/17/2013 is 7900 days

7900 = 3950 + 3950

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/26/1976 ( the first known human case of Ebola ) is 3950 days



From 12/20/2006 ( the US Stolen Valor Act ) To 12/17/2013 is 2554 days

2554 = 1277 + 1277

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/2/1969 ( Thomas Eric Duncan ) is 1277 days



From 8/3/1998 ( Tom Clancy "Rainbow Six" ) To 12/17/2013 is 5615 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/18/1981 ( premiere US TV series "The Greatest American Hero" ) is 5615 days



From 4/29/1957 ( premiere US film "The Ride Back" ) To 6/13/2005 is 17577 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/17/2013 is 17577 days



From 9/27/1934 ( Wilford Brimley ) To 12/17/2013 is 28936 days

28936 = 14468 + 14468

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/13/2005 is 14468 days



From 9/3/1980 ( premiere US TV movie "Alone at Last" ) To 12/17/2013 is 12158 days

12158 = 6079 + 6079

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/25/1982 ( premiere US film "The Thing" ) is 6079 days



From 11/10/1943 ( premiere US film "Minesweeper" ) To 12/25/1991 ( as United States Marine Corps chief warrant officer Kerry Wayne Burgess I was prisoner of war in Croatia ) is 17577 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/17/2013 is 17577 days



From 12/3/1942 ( premiere US film "Underground Agent" ) To 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 also known as Matthew Kline for official duty and also known as Wayne Newman for official duty ) is 17577 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/17/2013 is 17577 days



From 12/3/1942 ( premiere US film "Underground Agent" ) To 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) is 17577 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/17/2013 is 17577 days



From 3/19/1969 ( Richard Nixon - Remarks on Presenting the Boy of the Year Award ) To 12/17/2013 is 16344 days

16344 = 8172 + 8172

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/18/1988 ( premiere US film "D.O.A." ) is 8172 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate Columbia South Carolina ) To 12/17/2013 is 8312 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/5/1988 ( Ronald Reagan - Letter Accepting the Resignation of James A. Baker III as Secretary of the Treasury ) is 8312 days



From 6/21/1985 ( premiere US film "Cocoon" ) To 12/17/2013 is 10406 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/30/1994 ( premiere US film "The Color of Fear" ) is 10406 days



From 9/11/1974 ( premiere US TV series "Manhunter" ) To 12/17/2013 is 14342 days

14342 = 7171 + 7171

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/21/1985 ( premiere US film "Cocoon" ) is 7171 days



From 9/3/2001 ( premiere US TV series "The Legend of Tarzan" ) To 12/17/2013 is 4488 days

4488 = 2244 + 2244

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/25/1971 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States confined to federal prison in Mexico for illegally smuggling narcotics in Mexico ) is 2244 days





http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022479579_gatesceoxml.html

The Seattle Times


Originally published Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

New Gates Foundation CEO is expert in drug development [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s new CEO is an academic, a physician, a biotech star and the organization’s first leader from outside Microsoft.

By Sandi Doughton

Seattle Times science reporter

Dr. Susan Desmond-Hellmann says she had a “perfectly good job” when Bill and Melinda Gates came calling.

As chancellor of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Desmond-Hellmann had piloted the school through both budget cuts and expansion, and she still loved the work.

But the Gates Foundation co-founders dangled a better offer: CEO of the world’s richest philanthropy.

“The more I spoke with Bill and Melinda, and the more I learned about the foundation and its mission, I found it very compelling,” Desmond-Hellmann said in an interview Tuesday. “I frankly felt like I couldn’t say no.”

When she takes the reins in May from current CEO Jeff Raikes, Desmond-Hellmann will be the first physician to lead the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation — and the foundation’s first leader with no ties to Microsoft.

But her résumé, which includes a stellar track record in drug development and a stint doing HIV research in Africa, seems well-suited to the foundation’s efforts to improve health in the developing world.

“Sue’s background in public-health policy, research and development, and higher education make her an exceptional fit for this role,” Bill Gates said in a statement.

Before joining UCSF in 2009, Desmond-Hellmann earned a fortune and a reputation as a biotech innovator at Genentech, the San Francisco company that pioneered genetically targeted drugs. During her tenure as chief of product development, Genentech became the country’s leading producer of cancer treatments, with blockbusters like Avastin, for colon cancer, and Herceptin, used against some types of breast cancer.

That background in moving drugs from the laboratory to the marketplace could serve Desmond-Hellmann well as she takes on one of the foundation’s biggest challenges in the coming years: Ensuring that new vaccines, drugs and technologies actually reach some of the world’s poorest people.

“I can’t imagine someone who has more relevant experience,” said Dr. Robert Wachter , professor and chief of the Division of Hospital Medicine at UCSF. “She understands drug development ... and how to get drugs to the people who need them.”

At UCSF, Desmond-Hellmann also helped forge collaborations with the pharmaceutical industry, which has been a key — though sometimes reluctant — ally in Gates’ push for new and inexpensive medications.

“What I find frustrating is that when people innovate in the IT world, every innovation seems better and cheaper,” she said. “But our history in the health world is that every innovation seems better, but is almost never cheaper.”

Desmond-Hellmann, 56, got to know Bill and Melinda Gates by serving on the foundation’s science advisory board. Her husband, Dr.? Nicholas Hellmann, formerly served as director of the foundation’s HIV programs.

After finishing their medical training at UCSF, the couple spent two years in Uganda studying transmission of the virus that causes AIDS.

“I learned an enormous amount from that experience, not least of which is great humility about what I know and don’t know,” Desmond-Hellmann said.

With an endowment of $40?billion and more than 1,100 employees, the Gates Foundation has just weathered a period of rapid growth and reorganization overseen by Raikes, a former Microsoft executive known for his charm and management skill.

Under his leadership, the foundation narrowed its health focus to several key diseases, like malaria and HIV, but also broadened its emphasis on agriculture, family planning and other efforts to fight poverty.

Desmond-Hellmann will bring a winning personality to the job, along with the hard-nosed business perspective that ruffled some feathers in academia, Wachter predicted.

“She’s charismatic, she’s a very good listener, she’s a very broad thinker,” he said. She’s also not afraid of controversy, he added.

The Gates Foundation has come under fire for its support of genetically engineered crops and for the outsized influence it wields in education and global health.

Critics are also pushing the foundation to purge its investment portfolio of stock in companies like Coca-Cola and ExxonMobil, whose products and practices are seen by some as antithetical to goals such as improving nutrition and helping farmers cope with climate change.

As UCSF chancellor, Desmond-Hellmann found herself in a similar quandary when The New York Times revealed that her personal portfolio included a significant amount of stock in Altria, the parent company of cigarette-maker Philip Morris. She sold the stock and donated the proceeds to the university’s tobacco-control center.










http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4153011/

NCBI

PMC

US National Library of Medicine

National Institutes of Health


Epidemiol Health. 2014; 36: e2014014.

Published online Aug 18, 2014. doi: 10.4178/epih/e2014014

PMCID: PMC4153011

What do we really fear? The epidemiological characteristics of Ebola and our preparedness

Moran Ki

Abstract.

Ebola virus disease (hereafter Ebola) has a high fatality rate; currently lacks a treatment or vaccine with proven safety and efficacy, and thus many people fear this infection. As of August 13, 2014, 2,127 patients across four West African countries have been infected with the Ebola virus over the past nine months. Among these patients, approximately 1 in 2 has subsequently died from the disease. In response, the World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in West Africa to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. However, Ebola is only transmitted by patients who already present symptoms of the disease, and infection only occurs upon direct contact with the blood or body fluids of an Ebola patient. Consequently, transmission of the outbreak can be contained through careful monitoring for fever among persons who have visited, or come into contact with persons from, the site of the outbreak. Thus, patients suspected of presenting symptoms characteristic of Ebola should be quarantined. To date, South Korea is not equipped with the special containment clinical units and biosafety level 4 facilities required to contain the outbreak of a fatal virus disease, such as Ebola. Therefore, it is necessary for South Korea to make strategies to the outbreak by using present facilities as quickly as possible. It is also imperative that the government establish suitable communication with its citizens to prevent the spread of uninformed fear and anxiety regarding the Ebola outbreak.

The current Ebola epidemic has garnered wide media attention throughout the world. As a result, many people fear that the disease, which is generally limited to the African continent, may cause an outbreak in their local community at any given moment.

The present paper will examine the epidemiological characteristics of Ebola, our level of preparedness, and discuss what we fear.

Ebola is a viral disease. Although it has previously been referred to as “Ebola hemorrhagic fever,” some Ebola patients did not present hemorrhage, and thus, it is now referred to as Ebola virus disease. The first known Ebola patient was a 44-year old man who had managed the construction of a school in northern Zaire (currently the Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC). On August 26, 1976, the patient presented at a hospital with a high fever. He received an injection of chloroquine for presumptive malaria and had a clinical remission of his symptoms the next four days. On the sixth day, the patient had a fever of 39.2°C and began to hemorrhage. On September 8 (the 14th day), the patient died with severe hemorrhage. For the following months, until late-October, there was an outbreak of Ebola, with 280 of the 318 patients subsequently dying from the disease










http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media-Center/Press-Releases/2013/12/Susan-Desmond-Hellmann-Named-Chief-Executive-Officer-of-the-Bill-and-Melinda-Gates-Foundation

Bill & Melinda Gates foundation [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Press Room

Press Releases and Statements

Susan Desmond-Hellmann Named Chief Executive Officer of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

SEATTLE (December 17, 2013) -- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has selected Susan Desmond-Hellmann, M.D., M.P.H., as its next chief executive officer. Currently the chancellor of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Desmond-Hellmann will assume her role on May 1, 2014.

"We chose Sue because of her scientific knowledge and deep technical expertise on the foundation’s issues, as well as the organizational and leadership skills required to lead a large, growing and dynamic global organization. Sue shares our commitment and passion to create a more equitable world," said Melinda Gates, co-chair of the foundation.

“I am honored by the opportunity that Bill and Melinda have extended to me. I’m excited to join such a dynamic and ambitious organization, with such a clear and focused mission—improving the lives of the world’s most vulnerable,” said Desmond-Hellmann.

"Sue’s background in public health policy, research and development, and higher education, make her an exceptional fit for this role. She impressed us as an innovator and an outstanding leader and manager," said Bill Gates, co-chair of the foundation.

An oncologist by training, Desmond-Hellmann is a recognized leader on issues of higher education, public health, drug development, regulatory innovation and health policy. She has led UCSF since August 2009, when she became the first woman to serve as the university’s chancellor, overseeing all aspects of the university and medical center’s strategy, academic programs and operations. She has extensive experience in product development, and a deep understanding of how to bridge applied research to delivery of product. Prior to her tenure at UCSF, she was President of Product Development at Genentech, where she led the development and introduction of two of the first gene-targeted therapies for cancer, Avastin and Herceptin.

Desmond-Hellmann also served as a member of Genentech’s executive committee, beginning in 1996. She sits on the boards of directors of Procter and Gamble and Facebook, and was previously a member of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco’s Economic Advisory Council.

Desmond-Hellmann will take over from Jeff Raikes, who announced his retirement from the foundation in September 2013 after five years at the helm. He was the foundation's second CEO, and served after a long and successful career as a senior executive at Microsoft.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people—especially those with the fewest resources—have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, Washington, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and Co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.










http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-investigates-antiwar-demonstrators/print

HISTORY


AUGUST 16, 1966 : CONGRESS INVESTIGATES ANTIWAR DEMONSTRATORS

The House Un-American Activities Committee investigates Americans who have given aid to the Viet Cong with a view toward introducing legislation to make such activities illegal. Demonstrators disrupted the hearings and before it was over, more than 50 people were arrested for disorderly conduct. The Chairman of the subcommittee, Representative J. R. Pool (D-Texas) announced that the hearings had revealed that key leadership of groups supporting the Viet Cong were comprised of revolutionary, hard-core Communists.










http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN01998:@@@L&summ2=m&

The LIBRARY of CONGRESS THOMAS

Bill Summary & Status

109th Congress (2005 - 2006)

S.1998

All Information


S.1998

Title: Stolen Valor Act of 2005

Sponsor: Sen Conrad, Kent [ND] (introduced 11/10/2005) Cosponsors (27)

Related Bills: H.R.3352

Latest Major Action: Became Public Law No: 109-437

SUMMARY AS OF:

12/20/2006--Public Law.


Stolen Valor Act of 2005 - Amends the federal criminal code to expand the prohibition against wearing, manufacturing, or selling military decorations or medals without legal authorization to prohibit purchasing, soliciting, mailing, shipping, importing, exporting, producing blank certificates of receipt for, advertising, trading, bartering, or exchanging such decorations or medals without authorization.

Prohibits falsely representing oneself as having been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces or any of the service medals or badges.

Increases penalties for violations if the offense involves a distinguished service cross, an Air Force Cross, a Navy Cross, a silver star, or a Purple Heart.










http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/school-the-story-of-american-public-education/390249/

TV GUIDE


School: The Story of American Public Education

2001 TV SHOW

Examining the nation's 'most significant and still-unfinished achievement' in four one-hour segments tracing the history of public education back to the 18th century, when 'the vast majority of Americans were educated just enough to read the newspaper and the Bible---and figure out their taxes,' says narrator Meryl Streep.

Premiered: September 3, 2001










http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/texas-ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan-may-have-had-contact-with-up-to-100-people/2014/10/02/1a36f7aa-4a37-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html

The Washington Post


Texas Ebola patient, Thomas Eric Duncan, may have had contact with up to 100 people

By Mark Berman October 2, 2014

Public health officials in Texas said Thursday that as many as 100 people may have had contact with the Liberian man diagnosed with Ebola. Four of those people, at least two of whom are family members, have been ordered to remain at home in an attempt to prevent the spread of the disease.

Still, authorities continued to stress that only Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, had exhibited any symptoms of the disease.

“The only person who’s had symptoms is Mr. Duncan, who’s in the hospital,” Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said during
a news conference Thursday, where county officials provided an update on their response. Jenkins is the top elected official in Dallas County.

“And no one who has been around Mr. Duncan in the time he has been symptomatic has shown any indication of having contracted Ebola,” Jenkins said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the list of 100 people being assessed includes “potential, possible contacts.” Many, but not all, of these people had been interviewed by Thursday, Thomas Frieden, director of the CDC, said in a conference call with reporters.

It is unclear how many people had direct contact with Duncan. Authorities say the number of people who require monitoring will be much lower once that has been determined.

Some students have not returned to the schools attended by five students who are believed to have had contact with Duncan, the school district reported. Those five students are staying at home, and attendance is down at the campuses, even as nurses have begun regularly visiting classrooms and counselors have been made available.

A law enforcement officer was stationed at the apartment complex Duncan was visiting to make sure the quarantined individuals do not go out.

The quarantine order, which was delivered by local health officials Wednesday night, says those inside cannot have visitors without approval, have to provide blood samples and must agree to any testing.

While authorities were reluctant to go into detail about why these four people without any symptoms were quarantined, they said it had to do with making sure they remained at home and accessible for monitoring.

“They were noncompliant with the request to stay home,” Jenkins said. “I don’t want to go too far beyond that.”

There are also issues of hygiene at the apartment, including properly disposing of Duncan’s belongings and the sheets on which he slept. The home had not been cleaned by Thursday afternoon because there has “been a little bit of hesitancy” in finding someone willing to do it, said David Lakey, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The sheets and Duncan’s belongings have been placed in a sealed plastic bag, and they will be disposed of by a contractor who has previously worked with hospitals on medical cleanups and agreed to clean the home, Jenkins said.

Three other people who came into contact with Duncan are the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department crew members who took him to the hospital. They are going to remain at home and will be checked for symptoms over the same three-week period.

People who have come into direct contact with an Ebola patient who has symptoms must be watched for three weeks, beginning on the last day they had that contact.

This process, which is called contact tracing, involves observing them for symptoms such as a high fever. If a contact exhibits a high fever, that person will be isolated.

Liberian authorities said Thursday they plan to prosecute Duncan for lying on an airport questionnaire when he said he had not cared for an Ebola patient or touched anyone who had died from the disease, according to the Associated Press. Neighbors in the Liberian capital said they thought he became infected after he helped transport a sick, pregnant neighbor, the AP said.

Before Duncan left Liberia, his temperature was taken at the airport in Monrovia by a person trained by the CDC. A thermometer approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration showed he did not have a fever.










http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s930-ebola-confirmed-case.html

CDC

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention


Press Release

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Contact: Media Relations


CDC and Texas Health Department Confirm First Ebola Case Diagnosed in the U.S.

Hospitalized patient had recently returned from West Africa; active contact tracing underway.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed today, through laboratory tests, the first case of Ebola to be diagnosed in the United States in a person who had traveled to Dallas, Texas from Liberia. The patient did not have symptoms when leaving West Africa, but developed symptoms approximately four days after arriving in the U.S. on Sept. 20.

The person fell ill on Sept. 24 and sought medical care at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas on Sept. 26. After developing symptoms consistent with Ebola, he was admitted to hospital on Sept. 28. Based on the person’s travel history and symptoms, CDC recommended testing for Ebola. The medical facility isolated the patient and sent specimens for testing at CDC and at a Texas lab participating in the CDC’s Laboratory Response Network. CDC and the Texas Health Department reported the laboratory test results to the medical center to inform the patient. A CDC team is being dispatched to Dallas to assist with the investigation.

“Ebola can be scary. But there’s all the difference in the world between the U.S. and parts of Africa where Ebola is spreading. The United States has a strong health care system and public health professionals who will make sure this case does not threaten our communities,” said CDC Director, Dr. Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “While it is not impossible that there could be additional cases associated with this patient in the coming weeks, I have no doubt that we will contain this.”










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/71211/Clancy_-_Rainbow_Six.html


Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six


CHAPTER 6

TRUE BELIEVERS


"Hi, Maggie," the head of that lab said in greeting. "(Jot something for me?"

"Hey, Steve." She handed the container over. "This is the one."

"What are we calling it?" Steve took the container and set it on a countertop.

"Shiva, I think."

"Sounds ominous," Steve observed with a smile.

"Oh, it is," Maggie promised him. Steve was another M.D., Ph.D., both of his degrees from Duke University, and the company's best man on vaccines. For this project he'd been pulled off AIDS work that had begun to show some promise.

"So, the colon cancer genes worked like you predicted?"

"Ten hours in the open, it shows good UV tolerance. Not too sure about direct sunlight, though."

"Two hours of that is all we need," Steve reminded her. And really one hour was plenty, as they both knew. "What about the atomization system?"

"Still have to try it," she admitted, "but it won't be a problem." Both knew that was the truth. The organism should easily tolerate passage through the spray nozzles for the fogging system-which would be checked in one of the big environmental chambers.










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-legend-of-tarzan/tarzan-and-the-race-against-time-76942/

tv.com


The Legend of Tarzan Season 1 Episode 1

Tarzan and the Race Against Time

Aired Daily 7:00 PM Sep 03, 2001 on Toon Disney

AIRED: 9/3/01










http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/local/me-1126_1_los-angeles

Los Angeles Times


The Open Wound That Los Angeles Must Now Work to Heal : As law enforcement's presence grows, appeals from the President and Rodney King set the tone

May 02, 1992

The smoke from thousands of fires began to lessen in the Los Angeles Basin Friday as the orgy of violence and looting that followed the Rodney King beating trial verdict seemed to be winding down. But the community's sense of unease--a sad, sick feeling that things may never be the same--hovers like an acrid smell.

Of course, if anything is learned from these awful days, some things will change, perhaps dramatically. They will change, if for no other reason than that no sane person in Los Angeles or anywhere else would want to repeat this terrible experience. Precisely what must change, and how, will be the topic of debate for months--or, for such a huge task, even years. And the challenge will be made no easier by the fact that some thugs and criminals--of all colors--remain unrepentant after so brutally taking advantage of the post-verdict protests to victimize individuals and entire neighborhoods.

THE UNKNOWN SAMARITANS

But the overwhelming majority of Angelenos, average law-abiding people who respect their neighbors and care about their community, can take hope and perhaps even find inspiration in the many actions by good Samaritans during Los Angeles' darkest hours. Most of these people will remain forever anonymous because there were no reporters or television cameras around to record their good deeds.

Indeed, even in one of the most widely reported acts of heroism--four African-Americans saved a white truck driver, Reginald Denny, as he was beaten by an angry mob--the names of only three of his rescuers are known. The fourth--known to his compatriots in courage only as a young man dressed in black--simply disappeared after driving Denny to a hospital emergency room.

As in the case of that young man, nobody recorded the names of the hundreds of men, women and even children who helped tired firefighters with heavy hoses or tried to put out blazes with garden hoses and volunteer bucket brigades.

THE HIDDEN PROTECTORS

And who knows how many local stores were protected from looting by groups of neighborhood people who came to the aid of the owners? In a few instances these good neighbors held would-be looters until police arrived, but in most they just chased them away. On a chaotic day when police resources were at the breaking point, such help was invaluable.

That same type of community spirit motivated hundreds of young people to heed calls from celebrities such as actor Edward James Olmos to start cleaning up the city on Friday. One of the first places Olmos took a group of volunteers from the Community Youth Gang Services Project was a burned-out strip of stores at Western Avenue and Jefferson Boulevard. Like almost everything associated with celebrities these days, Olmos' act of leadership was widely noted. But, at dozens of other places throughout Los Angeles and other cities, similar community cleanups were organized by ordinary people. It was the most visible example of the good people, the vast majority, pulling together. That community spirit must be nurtured and grow in the days to come.

We must not forget that everyone in the Los Angeles area was victimized by the rioting. No neighborhood or ethnic group was unaffected, directly or indirectly. "Can we all get along?" Rodney King said Friday.










http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/business/fi-1383_1_air-force

Los Angeles Times


Air Force Calls the B-2 Effective but Less Stealthy Than Expected

May 02, 1992 From Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Air Force told Congress on Friday that it expects to repair the B-2's radar-evading problems but that the bomber may still fall short of its original design.

The service's tactical air commander, Gen. John Loh, assured the House Armed Services Committee that the plane will fulfill its nuclear and conventional mission. But he said the plane may not be able to evade radar as well as it was designed to.

"The B-2 will be as operationally effective against the whole spectrum of threats that we expected," Loh said. "If we had to rewrite the specs today, we probably wouldn't make it as stringent as we did in 1980-something, when we wrote it."

Loh also said the cost of repairs probably would not cause the B-2 program to exceed its $45.3-billion budget.

Lawmakers have expressed concern over increases in the cost of the B-2, from $430 million per plane in January, 1987 to $2.3 billion last January.

The overall $45.3-billion cost includes money for research and development, purchasing 20 planes and building hangars for the aircraft.

"The pattern of cost growth in the program makes even this figure open to speculation," said Rep. Les Aspin (D-Wis.), the committee chairman.

Congress is weighing whether to stop the program at the 15 planes now in production or accept President Bush's proposal for the fiscal 1993 defense budget to buy 5 additional aircraft.

"The more serious problem is the Stealth problem," Aspin said after the hearing.

The Air Force discovered during a July flight test that the plane was as not as good at evading radar as had been expected. Loh, limited in his comments by the classified nature of the problem, said the Air Force is working on three approaches to a solution.










http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-05-02/news/9202080900_1_rodney-king-riot-federal-troops

Chicago Tribune


`Can We All Get Along?`

May 02, 1992

George Bush and Rodney King both went on television Friday to appeal for an end to violence in Los Angeles. And whether in response to their words, or the massing of National Guardsmen and federal troops, or simply because the riotous fury was spent, an uneasy calm began to descend.

The death and damage were enormous. By late Friday, the body count had risen to 37-three more than died in the Watts riot of 1965. The new L.A. riot thus became, after the 1967 Detroit disorder, the second deadliest ``race riot`` in American history.

The quantifiable damage approached $1 billion. The unquantifiable toll was less easily expressed.

It consisted of things like the anguish felt by employees of a burned-out drug store who wondered how they would now support their families; a Korean shopkeeper who stood mute amid the disarray of his looted store; a black male resident of south central L.A. who, pointing to empty lots left over from the Watts riots, lamented that it probably would be another two decades before a grocery chain felt confident enough to rebuild a newly demolished store.

But the most poignant and affecting moment of the day was provided by the man in whose name the riotous rage was vented. Speaking haltingly and with obvious emotion, Rodney King made clear that, as far as he was concerned, his name had been taken in vain.

``It`s not right,`` King said of the rioting at a news conference arranged by his lawyers. ``It`s not going to change anything.``

Referring to the people who had been killed, King lamented, ``Those people will never go home to their families.``

And he pleaded: ``Can we all get along?``

Bush`s appeal was less poignant but equally affecting. His first priority, the president said, paraphrasing the preamble to the Constitution, was to fulfill his oath ``to establish justice and ensure domestic

tranquility.``

To that end, he announced that he had ordered 4,500 federal troops onto the streets of L.A., along with 1,000 federal law enforcement agents that he had sent to the city, and had federalized the National Guardsmen already on duty there.

The president also announced that a federal grand jury already had begun sifting evidence in the Rodney King beating case, with a view toward possible federal indictments. Wednesday`s stunning verdicts of acquittal by a state court jury of the four Los Angeles policemen who beat King were ``not the end of the process,`` the president said.

Bush`s remarks-his first extended comment on the issue of race and urban policy-came at the end of a long day in which he held an extraordinary meeting with a group of civil-rights leaders.

This attention, and his assertion that ``after peace returns we must turn to the underlying causes`` of such disorders, give hope that something positive can be wrung out of the anguish and anger that have afflicted Los Angeles.

Maybe, just maybe, the nation can give a positive answer to Rodney King`s question: ``Can we all get along?``










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Eric_Duncan


Thomas Eric Duncan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Eric Duncan (May 2, 1969 – October 8, 2014) was a Liberian who became the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States on September 30, 2014.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 6:49 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Saturday 08 August 2015