Saturday, May 11, 2013

Princeton




Back at Ashdown Arkansas High School there was a class by Mr. Finley on history and as I best recall the name of the class was Advanced American History.

The class was optional for 10th graders and so I personally decided to procrastinate my attendance of that class and because it was optional for 10th graders I did not attend the class until my senior year. I recall my sister attended the class with me because she selected it while in the tenth grade and I recall she boasted to me several times she had better grades in that class than I.

I recall sitting there in Mr. Finley's class my senior year because sitting in front of me was Janyne Clark. I sure did like her.

She invited me over to watch "The Day After" when it broadcast new on television. As best I recall that was a Sunday night. I remember I was excited that she invited me over to her house.

One other time she was riding in my blue 1967 Chevrolet pickup that was a junker and always made me regret not keeping the red 1967 Ford F-100 pickup I had first. I recall I thought the brakes were failing in that Chevrolet when she was riding with me. Another time I showed her a pair of ignition keys and I remember she guessed that my parents had bought me a new car. Nope, I said, I was referring to how I had to use a short screwdriver to turn the ignition because that was how it was when I bought the truck and I was showing her the keys because I had replaced the ignition switch.

Anyway the premiere date of "The Day After" is listed as 20 November 1983 so that must have been when she was in the 10th grade attending history class with me. I probably mentioned that I was already in the United States Navy Delayed Entry Program and that I would be leaving for US Navy basic training after I graduated in May 1984. I think Janyne Clark and I wrote a few letters to each other after I graduated and went on active duty in the US Navy.

The Ashdown Arkansas High School Class of 1984 graduated on Friday 11 May 1984 and I can still recall that evening. The following Monday 14 May 1984 I traveled by airplane to Orlando Florida and I spent the night there at the basic training facility in Orlando and the next day, the 15th, they marched us out to begin formal induction into the United States Navy and to get uniforms and to cut off all our hair.

A few days later the US Navy petty officer first class who was our company commander told us we could make telephone calls home. They marched us over to some building with a lot of telephone booths in it. After I was on the line for few minutes, phoning back to Hicks Road in Ashdown our company commander came over fairly close to where I was sitting inside a phone booth and he yelled out that he was taking us all over to some other building next for pizza. Everyone cheered. Sometime later, perhaps during that phone call or in a letter or in a conversation in person sometime later, my mother seemed annoyed about that occurrence. I was puzzled over why that bothered her. I had been talking to her on the phone or maybe that was when I was talking to her husband, and who ever it was probably heard it through the phone line. I also explained what had just happened and the reason everyone had cheered or yelled or whatever was the source of all the noise over the telephone line.





http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41362

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Local High School Honor Students

May 23, 1983

The President. Barbara, thank you for those very kind words. And if you'll forgive me, though, there were times when I was more concerned with just remaining eligible for the football team— [laughter] —than the scholastic achievement.

But I'm delighted to be here and to welcome you, the best of the classes of '83. And you are that. Now, it makes me remember back to my own graduation, which wasn't too long ago. [Laughter] As a matter of fact, it was exactly—[inaudible]—years ago. [Laughter]

But your parents are proud of you. Obviously, General Motors and the television stations are proud of you, and that's why they're sponsoring these events. But you might be interested to know, I think, that the Nation is proud of you.

You know we've had a commission studying the educational system, and they have just come in with their report. And it's an alarming report about overall education.

One of the figures in this report indicates that, compared to the students of other nations, on the average, we are way below the students of those other nations. But applying directly to you here, who are the leaders, the top 9 percent of American students rank equal to or above the top 9 percent in all those other countries. It is only the overall average that reflects what we think has been a decline in education. And you're in that top 9 percent.

So, one of these days, you're going to be the leaders that we'll turn the country over to. And anytime I've had an opportunity to meet students like yourselves, I find myself coming home reassured that the country's going to be in good hands when it is turned over to you for your leadership.

Now, rather than my going on with a monolog that'll sound like a graduation speech—and you have to listen to one of those—I think that we could have a dialog rather than a monolog—and with the limited time that we have. And I see that there's already a lineup, and since there's more on the right than there are on the left, I'll start with on the right and then exchange microphones here.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/releaseinfo

IMDb


Release dates for

The Day After (1983) (TV)

Country Date

USA 20 November 1983










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


Radio Announcer: Warsaw Pact forces are close to announcing a cease-fire along the German border. There are still no eyewitness accounts to substantiate the rumor that low-kiloton range nuclear weapons were detonated this morning during the conflict, resulting in the reported destruction of Wiesbaden and the outskirts of Frankfurt...

[electronic alarm cuts in]

EBS Announcer: This is the Emergency Broadcast System. All persons currently in transit in the Kansas City metropolitan area are advised to proceed immediately to the municipal shelter facility in the community or township closest to your current location. While there is no immediate danger to the Kansas City area, the Federal Emergency Management Agency urges you to learn the steps to be taken in the event of a probable attack.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


First Air Force Officer: Confidence is high. I repeat, confidence is high. Roger, we've got 32 targets in track and 10 impacting points. I want it confirmed... is this an exercise? Roger, copy. This is not an exercise!

Second Air Force Officer: Roger, understand. Major Reinhardt, we have a massive attack against the U.S. at this time. ICBMs... numerous ICBMs... Roger, understand. Over 300 missiles are inbound now.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [an alarm goes off in the Launch Control Center of the Minuteman III ICBM "Oscar Wing" at Whiteman AFB ] Standby to copy the message.

DMCCC Lt. Krause: Standing by.

Intercom: Flashing, flashing, flashing. Message follows: Alpha, seven, eight, November, Foxtrot, one, five, two, two... Delta X-Ray.

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: That's a J.C.S. execution from the President.

DMCCC Lt. Krause: I agree, the message is valid, also.

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Step One: Launch Keys inserted.

DMCCC Lt. Krause: Roger.

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [both officers retrieve the Launch Keys and insert them into the console] Let's enable the missiles! Program Flight Switch enable?

DMCCC Lt. Krause: Roger.

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Flight: All. L.F.: All. Unlock Codes inserted?

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Standby...

[proceeds to enter the Unlock Codes]

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: ... Unlock Codes inserted!

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Enable Switch enable?

DMCCC Lt. Krause: [turns a knob on the console] Enabled.

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Coordinate enable command?

DMCCC Lt. Krause: [phone on the DMCCC's console beeps; he picks it up] Yes, this is Oscar. All are enabled. Thank you.

[hangs up phone]

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [puts his hand on the MCCC Launch Key] Key Turn on my mark!

DMCCC Lt. Krause: [puts his hand on the DMCCC Launch Key] Standing by!

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Five... four...










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


Airman: [missiles from both sides are still en route] You know what that means, don't you? Either we fired first and they're going to try to hit what's left, or they fired first and we just got our missiles out of the ground in time. Either way, we're going to get hit.

Airman Billy McCoy: So what are we still standing around here for?

Sergeant: Where do you want to go?

Airman Billy McCoy: Well, how about out of here for starters? I've got to get my wife and my kid!

Sergeant: We're still on alert, Billy! No one leaves this facility. Not until the choppers get here to take us back to Whiteman and to the shelters...

Airman Billy McCoy: [cutting him off] Are you kidding me, man? The bombs will be here before the choppers will! Listen to me.

Airman: Damn!

Airman Billy McCoy: Listen to me, man. The war is over! It's over. We've done our job. So what are you still guarding? Huh? Some cotton-pickin' hole in the ground all dressed up and nowhere to go?

Airman: He's right!

Airman Tommy: What about Starr and Boyle?

Sergeant: What about them?

Airman Tommy: What are they doing?

Airman Billy McCoy: Yeah, they're 60 feet down, sipping on some cold beer and whistling "Misty"!

Airman Tommy: I'm going down there!

Sergeant: You can't go down there! That elevator is secure!

Airman Billy McCoy: Do you hear yourself talking, bozo? 'Cause I hear you saying that we've got direct orders to be sitting ducks!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


Stephen Klein: [to Denise] You can't see it... you can't feel it... and you can't taste it. But it's here, right now, all around us! It's goin' through you like an X-ray! Right into your cells! What do you think killed all these animals?










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/quotes

IMDb


The Day After (1983)

Quotes


Denise Dahlberg: They gave me this ribbon to wear... but I haven't got any damn hair to put it in to.

[Stephen takes off his baseball cap to reveal that he has no hair left at all]

Stephen Klein: You look beautiful.










http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1985_49722

chron Houston Chronicle Archives


Soviet warships being watched in Gulf

Houston Chronicle News Services

TUE 11/05/1985 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

A U.S. Navy vessel is closely monitoring the movements of two Soviet warships that entered the Gulf of Mexico and came within 40 miles of the Texas coast, the U.S. Navy said.

The USS Taylor, American guidedmissile frigate, has been tracking the Soviet ships - a guided-missile destroyer and a guided-missile frigate - since they left Havana Thursday, said Lt. Cmdr. Craig Quigley, a Navy spokesman in Norfolk, Va.

The Taylor is always "within visual range" of the Soviet vessels that were last reported about 100 miles southwest of Tampa, Fla., and moving in a southeasterly direction, possibly toward Cuba, said Quigley.

However, there was no way to determine whether the Soviet warships were preparing to leave the Gulf and return to Havana. "They can always change rudder at a moment's notice," he said.

The destroyer and frigate - part of a larger group of four Soviet ships that entered the Caribbean in September - entered the Gulf Thursday, Quigley said. The vessels always remained within international waters, he said.

The Navy took pictures of the two Soviet ships Saturday when a P-3 maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft flew over the ships about 40 miles southeast of the Houston-Galveston area.

"That's international waters," Quigley said. "They've never come closer than 20 miles to our shore."










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41352

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Statement on the Swearing in of Joseph Sherick as Inspector General of the Department of Defense

May 20, 1983

When I promised the American people to "follow every lead, root out every incompetent, and prosecute any crook who's cheating the American People", I did not grant the Department of Defense an exemption.

Today Joseph Sherick, who has been heading the Office of Review and Oversight, was sworn in as the first statutory Inspector General for the Department of Defense. He is a 33-year government veteran of financial and budget management, and this experience, combined with the proven integrity and conviction of purpose, earns him my complete support.

In April 1981 the Secretary of Defense established, administratively, the first department-wide Office of Review and Oversight. When creation of a statutorily required, Presidentially appointed Inspector General position was introduced in Congress, I gave my complete support.

Under Mr. Sherick's stewardship over the past 2 years, about $12.7 billion has been saved or put to better use as a result of work done by DOD's 17,500 auditors, inspectors, and investigators. Over the same period, DOD auditors issued over 160,000 reports. Questioned costs of over $10.5 billion were sustained as a result of audits of DOD contracts, and $13.8 million was recovered by restitution or other means. Over 20,000 investigations were closed, and 18,700 new ones were opened. Establishment of a Defense Hot line on fraud, waste, and abuse resulted in over 6,000 calls and letters over the past 2 years.

As an example of the valuable contribution Mr. Sherick's office is making, a 1982 audit found that $361.1 million could be saved through consolidation of two defense satellite programs. Management agreed that the entire amount is achievable savings.

To further illustrate the trend toward more aggressive pursuit of fraud, waste, and abuse, Mr. Sherick, in 1982, established the Defense Criminal Investigative Service as a separate investigative unit concentrating on white-collar crime. It currently has 355 open investigations, of which 152 are contract fraud cases. Before that time, only limited and uncoordinated efforts were made to detect white-collar crime.

Mr. Sherick has a proven record of achievement in both detecting and preventing fraud, waste, and abuse, and I am pleased to have him join my team of Inspectors General, our first line of defense in attacking fraud, waste, and abuse.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088170/releaseinfo

IMDb


Release dates for

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

Country Date

USA 1 June 1984





http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie3.html

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock


[Enterprise bridge]

KIRK: Mister Sulu, take the con. I'll be in my quarters.

SULU: Aye sir.

TRAINEE FOSTER: Sir, ...I was wondering. ...Are they planning a ceremony when we get in? ...I mean, a reception?

KIRK: A hero's welcome, son? Is that what you'd like? ...Well, God knows, there should be. This time we paid for the party with our dearest blood.










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie3.html

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock


[Enterprise bridge]

UHURA: Would you look at that?

(U.S.S. Excelsior on viewscreen)

KIRK: My friends, the great experiment. The Excelsior, ready for trial runs.

SULU: She's supposed to have transwarp drive.

SCOTT: Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

KIRK: Tut tut, Mister Scott. Young minds. Fresh ideas. ...Be tolerant.

(Commander Rand watches nostalgically from the Spacedock cafeteria)










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie2.html

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan


DAVID: Well, don't have kittens. Genesis is going to work. They'll remember you in one breath with Newton, Einstein, Surak.

CAROL: Thanks a lot. No respect from my offspring.










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie3.html

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock


[Bird-of-Prey bridge]

KRUGE: (in Klingonese) Then you have seen [ it ]?

[Merchantman bridge]

VALKRIS: (in Klingonese) I have, my lord.










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie2.html

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan


CAROL (on viewscreen): What exactly is Genesis? Well, put simply, Genesis is life from lifelessness. It is a process whereby molecular structure is reorganised at he subatomic level into life-generating matter of equal mass. Stage One of our experiments was conducted in the laboratory. Stage Two of the series will be attempted in a lifeless underground. Stage Three will involve the process on a planetary scale. It is our intention to introduce the Genesis device into the pre-selected area of a lifeless space body, such a moon or other dead form. The device is delivered, instantaneously causing what we call the Genesis Effect. Matter is reorganised with life-generating results.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41359

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Radio Address to the Nation on the Observance of Armed Forces Day

May 21, 1983

My fellow Americans:


I know that the paradox of peace through a credible military posture may be difficult for some people to accept. Some even argue that if we really wanted to reduce nuclear weapons we should simply stop building them ourselves. That argument makes about as much sense as saying that the way to prevent fires is to close down the fire department. It ignores one of the most basic lessons of history, a lesson that was learned by bitter experience and passed down to us by previous generations.










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie4.html

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home


SAREK: As I recall, I opposed your enlistment in Starfleet. ...It is possible that judgment was incorrect. ...Your associates are people of good character.

SPOCK: They are my friends.

SAREK: Yes, of course. ...Do you have a message for your mother?

SPOCK: Yes. Tell her ...I feel fine. Live long and prosper, father.

SAREK: Live long and prosper, my son.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 2:58 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Saturday 11 May 2013