Sunday, May 31, 2015

"You know, Abe Lincoln, the day after his election to the presidency, gathered in his office the newsmen who had been covering his campaign and he said to them"




http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=76115

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Election Night Victory Speech in Los Angeles

November 4, 1980

Let me just say first of all, this has been, well, there's never been a more humbling moment in my life, not only humbled by the extent of what has happened tonight. Even if it had been the cliffhanger that all of us, I think, were expecting, it would have been the same way. But just to have had the support of the people of this country. I consider the trust you have placed in me sacred and I give you my sacred oath that I will do my utmost to justify your faith.

Earlier this evening, I spoke on the phone with President Carter. The president pledged the utmost in cooperation in the transition that will take place in these coming months. I offered him my own cooperation. He graciously said that he wanted this to be the...

[interrupted by applause as someone showed him a map of the electoral vote].

When that began to slide, I thought the world was going out just as I was getting in.

As I say, the president was most gracious about this.










http://www.azlyrics.com/j/jimcroce.html

AZ

JIM CROCE

album: "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" (1972)



http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jimcroce/operatorthatsnotthewayitfeels.html

AZ

JIM CROCE

"Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)"

Operator, well could you help me place this call
See, the number on the match book is old and faded
She's living in L.A
With my best old ex-friend Ray
A guy she said she knew well and sometimes hated

But isn't that the way they say it goes
Well let's forget all that
And give me the number if you can find it
So I can call just to tell 'em I'm fine, and to show
I've overcome the blow
I've learned to take it well
I only wish my words
Could just convince myself
That it just wasn't real
But that's not the way it feels

Operator, well could you help me place this call
'Cause I can't read the number that you just gave me
There's something in my eyes
You know it happens every time
I think about the love that I thought would save me

But isn't that the way they say it goes
Well let's forget all that
And give me the number if you can find it
So I can call just to tell 'em I'm fine, and to show
I've overcome the blow
I've learned to take it well
I only wish my words
Could just convince myself
That it just wasn't real
But that's not the way it feels
No, no, no, no
That's not the way it feels

Operator, well let's forget about this call
There's no one there I really wanted to talk to
Thank you for your time
Ah, you've been so much more then kind
You can keep the dime

But isn't that the way they say it goes
Well let's forget all that
And give me the number if you can find it
So I can call just to tell 'em I'm fine, and to show
I've overcome the blow
I've learned to take it well
I only wish my words
Could just convince myself
That it just wasn't real
But that's not the way it feels










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/58.htm

The Paradise Syndrome [ Star Trek: The Original Series ]

Stardate: 4842.6

Original Airdate: Oct 4, 1968


KIRK: I am Kirok! I have come! I am Kirok!

(Salish smiles at his failure.)

[Spock's quarters]

(Spock is playing his lyre.)

MCCOY: I prescribed sleep.

SPOCK: You prescribed rest, Doctor. The symbols on the obelisk are not words. They are musical notes.

MCCOY: Musical notes? You mean it's nothing but a song?

SPOCK: In a way, yes. Other cultures, among them certain Vulcan offshoots, use musical notes as words. The tones correspond roughly to an alphabet.

MCCOY: Were you able to make sense our of the symbols?

SPOCK: Yes. The obelisk is a marker, just as I thought. It was left by a super-race known as the Preservers. They passed through the galaxy rescuing primitive cultures which were in danger of extinction and seeding them, so to speak, where they could live and grow.

MCCOY: I've always wondered why there were so many humanoids scattered through the galaxy.

SPOCK: So have I.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 5:54 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 31 May 2015