Sunday, May 08, 2022

Today is 05/08/2022, Post #1





Another title I'd never heard of before.

Noticed it tonight, 05/07/2022, because of that Xfinity Watchathon that got me hooked a few days ago on "From" by the EPIX channel

This title, "Station Eleven" is from HBO Max and described as a miniseries, which I guess means the entirety is only 10 episodes, which I may or may not watch in full

Didn't seem that interesting when I read about it.

But Jeevan Chaudhary seemed an interesting character from the very beginning.

I still find interesting the post-apocalyptic genre because for much of my adult life I have enjoyed that sort of story and it was good escapist-fantasy

Now, I'm an old man and should not seem so entertaining, in that my escapist-fantasy always featured me as one of the survivors. The rotting, dead bodies, and the diseases they would cause beyond the original calamity, would make survival a lot more difficult. The canned food I've consumed in recent years was distressing and left in place would become lethal, seems to me. Roads would quickly become unpassable. The infrastructure in the USA is already crumbling and in need of improvements because of government mismanagement and crooks and incompetence and bumbling idiots such as George W. Bush.

A world with a few people and no rules would be especially bad. And there wouldn't be medical-doctors. I've never known personally a medical-doctor but in that post-apocalypse world, I just cannot see the sense of revealing their skills to other people because they would become simply a commodity, seems to me.

I've paused the video to make some notes because I know I have to make a report about this

At this point, he's run up an eye-boggling grocery bill of almost $10,000 - presumably of some urban, Chicago grocery - and that scene reminds me and the vaguely presented views of the loaded shopping carts reminds me of a couple of people when I was last in the grocery-store

Of course, I have to check my notes about '9659'

It has a remainder of 0.03 and I think about how to convoluate this notion into my original-work code-pattern

The 0.03 is more unassuming than 0.00

I also find myself thinking about how he seems to assimilate the warning so quickly

I wonder if his sister, from the hospital, is older and that is some sort of psychological effect of being a younger-sibling, which I never was.

I mean, I've going on here for DECADES! and there has got to be some real psychological-denial going on out there in the world.

But what I think it is mostly of the human tendency of Don't Give A Shit

Because doesn't affect any one else personally.

Still don't know the 'why' of this pattern.

In recent weeks and months, I started to appreciate the accomplishment of my discoveries this past 15 years or so.

So, maybe that's the only point.

Resuming the video so I can finish it do something else before I put more thought into making this note, which I may or may post before watching beyond the first episode, seems really neat how the production includes that Christmas music as background. I also like Chicago, having ventured out there a few times when I stationed at Great Lakes for most of the year. I remember many Saturday nights driving around the suburbs in my 1978 Ford Explorer pickup truck, before I started driving to a dance-club in Wisconsin, where, as a 20-year-old, I could legally drink beer, back when there was inconsistences in the USA, such was Florida where I temporarily stationed for a few months earlier and the drinking age was still 18 back then, when it would really have been better to simply avoid all together. Would like to live there in Chicago if I could afford it, which I never will. Would be a great place to practice my night-photography.

Damn, it's cold outside here again tonight. I had to turn on the heat again tonight. There might even be snowfall tonight and in days ahead here.

Watching episode 2, the level of interest is vastly lower now. Is there any more wasted entertainment than anything by Shakespeare? I don't think so. What a load of crap. You can't appreciate any of that gibberish unless you studied it and I never saw any point to giving it much attention. I don't need to seem snooty to other people, in their desperate hope of feeling superior over other people, that those people must be so desperate for in their own pathetic life.

For the actor's aspiring for that nonsense, must be a form of escapism in itself.

Episode 2 is going to have to work up to something interesting or I'm probably not going to watch more of it.

Episode 3 redeems the progress of the serial story by starting off with a flashback to The Before. The post-apocalyptic stories I like most feature great details about before, during, and, to some extent, after.

Episode 4 is really dragging and that's possibly, depending on the ending, the last one I watch for a while today. They're developing a mildly interesting antagonist with a vaguely looming threat from "The Prophet" so I'll probably watch more, unless it gets too boring.

Episode 5 is a flashback so I think I'll try to sit through it, making this post before starting to watch

When I think again today, as I do everyday, that there must be a reason for the way things are for me now and have been since 2005, I try to look at it from the perspective of some person other than myself and it seems that I am trying to get help, but I am just as certain now that I am not trying to get help from any of you. I can't help but think there will be a time when you suddenly look to me for help. From what, for what reason, I don't know. Nothing I cause or am responsible for. Just something that my decades of work at this has helped myself and given me a certain sort of power against what I can only assume - because I'm not a dim-wit dullard such as you - will become obvious in the future from now.









From 2/28/2019 ( debut of "Space Engineers" by Keen Software House ) To 5/8/2022 ( Today, Sunday ) is 1165 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/10/1969 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" ) is 1165 days









From 3/16/1991 ( ) To 8/25/2017 ( ) is 9659 days









"King Lear" by William Shakespeare

(from internet transcript)

ALBANY
Wisdom and goodness to the vile seem vile:
Filths savour but themselves. What have you done?
Tigers, not daughters, what have you perform'd?
A father, and a gracious aged man,
Whose reverence even the head-lugg'd bear would lick,
Most barbarous, most degenerate! have you madded.
Could my good brother suffer you to do it?
A man, a prince, by him so benefited!
If that the heavens do not their visible spirits
Send quickly down to tame these vile offences,
It will come,
Humanity must perforce prey on itself,









From 8/3/1998 ( "Rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 8536 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/17/1989 ( premiere US film "Leviathan" ) is 8536 days



From 5/2/1955 ( from The Daily Princetonian publication, Princeton University: Speaks At Oak Ridge - Smyth Points Out Need For Controlling Secrecy ) To 6/15/2011 ( "Leviathan Wakes" by James Corey, "The Expanse" series of novels, book 1 ) is 20498 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 20498 days



From 6/8/1993 ( commencement, Princeton University Class of 1993 ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 10418 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 5/12/1994 ( premiere US TV miniseries episode "Stephen King's The Stand"::miniseries finale episode "The Stand" ) is 10418 days



From 11/4/1986 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, my official enlisted United States Navy documents includes: Date Completed - United States Navy Fire Control Technician Class "A", Service School Command, Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, Illinois, - leading to permanent assignment until 1990 to CF-division, Missile Plot - guided-missiles Fire Control Computer Complex (UNIVAC digital-computers Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance), USS Wainwright CG-28, United States Navy, while enlisted paygrade E-5, designated Petty Officer Second Class Fire Controlman (FC2) ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 12826 days

12826 = 6413 + 6413

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 5/25/1983 ( premiere US film "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi" ) is 6413 days



From 11/18/1996 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: First Contact" ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 9159 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 11/30/1990 ( premiere US film "Misery" ) is 9159 days



From 9/27/1911 ( from The Daily Princetonian publication, Princeton University: Museum Gets First Wright Machine ) To 11/10/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Metamorphosis" ) is 20498 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 20498 days



From 2/9/2007 ( ) To 12/16/2021 ( ) is 5424 days

5424 = 2712 + 2712

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/6/1973 ( premiere US film "High Plains Drifter" ) is 2712 days



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10579918/

IMDb

Station Eleven

Wheel of Fire

Episode aired Dec 16, 2021

S1 E1

After renowned actor Arthur Leander tragically collapses onstage, Jeevan Chaudhary and young Kirsten Raymonde have a chance meeting - and soon face an important decision that could save their lives.

Top cast

Himesh Patel as Jeevan Chaudhary









https://theprince.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/?a=d&d=Princetonian19550502-01.2.2&e=-------en-20--81-byDA-txt-txIN-------

Daily Princetonian, Volume 79, Number 62, 2 May 1955

Speaks at Oak Ridge

Smyth Points Out Need For Controlling Secrecy

Dr. Henry DeWolf Smyth '18, chairman of the board of scientific research here and former member of the Atomic Energy Commission, stated his belief that America is learning to recognize more clearly the "evils of undue secrecy" in an address delivered at Oak Ridge, Term., last Saturday morning.

Speaking before a gathering of scientists from 21 foreign countries who are at Oak Ridge taking a training course as part of 'President Eisenhower's "Atoms for Peace" plan, Dr. Smyth pointed out that while strict secrecy about our military technology is necessary, we must also avoid intrusions on our freedom.

"The balance between freedom and secrecy is a hard one to maintain," he said. "In this new world situation it is perhaps not surprising that our first efforts to meet it have been somewhat clumsy and often unwise."

Endangered Freedoms

"I believe that we are learning to clarify our view of the evils of undue secrecy and the grave importance of the freedoms which are endangered by foolish or reckless efforts to impose it," Dr. Smyth declared.

After praising the idea behind the Oak Ridge development, Dr. Smyth cited President Eisenhower's proposal that the nations of the world should co-operate to share the peacetime uses of atomic energy for the benefit of all men as an example of the type of attitude to be fostered in America today.

"But," he warned, "Americans will have to adjust reasonably to the national life we shall have to expect in the foreseeable future: a life of intermittent or possibly continuous international tension under the shadow of the destructive weapons we will all know how to make."

Investigations Necessary

"Of course we shall have to' investigate the character and associations of the men who are given access to the secrets of our military technology," Dr. Smyth remarked.

"I hope we can limit the areas of secrecy and of the necessary accompanying investigations to those men and women concerned with our defense effort, thus leaving our other citizens free to enrich their minds and our common life by the free exchange of ideas which has civilized us in the past," he concluded.









https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100157/releaseinfo

IMDb

Misery (1990)

Release Info

USA 30 November 1990









Station Eleven (2021) s01e01

"Wheel of Fire"

Tell them to keep their masks on as much as they can.

Who did you call?

My ex-husband. You?

One of my brothers won a Pulitzer when he was 23. I picked the one who owes me 18 grand and eats cereal for dinner.









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: H.V.O.M at 9:52 AM Saturday, May 26, 2007

"You do climb up it now: look, how we labour."

That blouse makes me think of that comforter I used to have on my bed a few years ago.









by me, Kerry Burgess: 05/30/07 4:30 PM

That is what I think of when I see those current photos of her from the opening for "King Lear" in that blouse that is similar to the comforter I slept under for all those years.









Star Trek - "Metamorphosis" - television series Season 2 Episode 9 - Aired Nov 10, 1967 on NBC

Episode Summary

When their shuttle is diverted to a planetoid, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy encounter Earth's Warp Drive pioneer, Zefram Cochrane, who appears to have survived there alone for 150 years.

(from internet transcript)

COCHRANE: There's some sort of damping field down here. Power systems don't work. Take my word for it.

SPOCK: You don't mind if we continue to try?

COCHRANE: Go right ahead. You've got plenty of time.

KIRK: What about you, Cochrane? How did you get here?

COCHRANE: Marooned, I told you. Look, we'll have lots of time to learn about each other. I have a small place over that way. All the comforts of home. I can even offer you a hot bath.

NANCY: How perceptive of you to notice I needed one.










48454005 .jpg, from internet, of Phoebe Cates, circa 2007


70466003 .jpg, from internet, of Phoebe Cates, circa 2007









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: H.V.O.M at 7:10 PM Friday, October 19, 2007

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/106767.html

Exit the King: Kevin Kline's Lear Closes March 25

The Public Theater's production of William Shakespeare's King Lear, starring Kevin Kline, closes March 25.

James Lapine directed the production, which began previews Feb. 9 and opened March 7.



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 03:54 AM Pacific-time USA Sunday 05/08/2022