This Is What I Think.

Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Today is 10/08/2024, Post #1






2023-11-17_3-1
2023-11-17_3-2









The Simpsons

"Krusty Gets Busted"

Quotes

(Homer is brought down to the police station to identify Krusty the Clown in a lineup.)

Chief Wiggum: Send in the clowns!

Chief Wiggum: So, Simpson, which one is it?

Homer: Well, if the crime is making me laugh, they're all guilty!










2024-10-08_2

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nobel-prize-physics-being-awarded-075044191.html









Event Date variable (my original-work code-pattern): 10/08/2024

Target Date variable: 04/29/1990 ( "Krusty Gets Busted" )









From 4/29/1990 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Simpsons"::"Krusty Gets Busted" ) To 10/8/2024 ( Today - Tuesday ) is 12581 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/13/2000 ( ) is 12581 days



From 12/25/1957 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Millionaire"::"The Regina Wainwright Story" ) To 10/8/2024 ( ) is 24394 days

24394 = 12197 + 12197

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/26/1999 ( the "Melissa" computer virus appears ) is 12197 days



From 3/8/1988 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, while enlisted paygrade E-5, designated Fire Controlman Petty Officer Second Class (FC2), my official enlisted US Navy documents includes: Terrier MK 152 guided-missiles Fire Control Computers Complex Operator (UNIVAC digital-computers Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance) - CF-division, Missile Plot, USS Wainwright CG-28, US Navy, following my graduation Naval Missiles School, Dam Neck, Virginia ) To 10/8/2024 ( ) is 13363 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/4/2002 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Modern Marvels"::"The Manhattan Project" ) is 13363 days



From 10/28/1994 ( premiere USA film "Stargate" ) To 10/8/2024 ( ) is 10938 days

10938 = 5469 + 5469

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/23/1980 ( referenced here, regarding Ronald Reagan - from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my biological maternal genetic grandfather, along with Jane Wyman ) is 5469 days










2024-10-08_3

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/2024/press-release/

The Nobel Prize

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2024

Press release

8 October 2024

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Physics 2024 to

John J. Hopfield

Princeton University, NJ, USA

Geoffrey E. Hinton

University of Toronto, Canada

“for foundational discoveries and inventions that enable machine learning with artificial neural networks”










stargate-1994_00h-05m-54s










2024-10-08_1

https://papersofprinceton.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/?a=d&d=Princetonian20000413-01.1.9&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------










stargate 24_16 PDVD
stargate 00_20_15_PDVD
stargate-1994_00h06m11s
stargate-1994_00h11m01s
stargate-1994_00h11m12s
stargate-1994_00h11m13s
USS_Wainwright_(CG-28) .jpg, from internet
1994-10-28_0-e
1994-10-28_3










stripes-1981_00h-25m-12s
stripes-1981_00h-25m-13s









http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428055/paving-way-reagan

National Review

Reagan and His Favorite Magazine

by LAURENCE R. JURDEM December 5, 2015 4:00 AM

The impact of WFB and NR on America s 40th president.

On October 23, 1980, William F. Buckley Jr. wrote a confidential note to the Republican presidential nominee, Ronald Reagan. It was twelve days before the election that Buckley and other conservatives believed would result in Reagan s becoming the 40th president of the United States. Buckley, who was scheduled to be in Brazil on November 4, instructed his office to post the letter only on the condition that Reagan was elected.

In the note, Buckley reminded Reagan that back in 1964 he had teased him by introducing him to an audience as governor, unaware that just two years later the fictional title would become a reality. Obviously you didn t know when to stop, Buckley mused to his friend









http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990329&slug=2952170

Monday, March 29, 1999

`Melissa' Crashes, Swamps E-Mails -- An Estimated 100,000 Computers Infected By Virus

The AP

PITTSBURGH - E-mail systems crashed or were swamped at hundreds of companies of all sizes by the "Melissa" computer virus, a computer expert estimated today.

Jeff Carpenter, a team leader for the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, estimated that more than 100,000 computers and hundreds of companies had been infected by the virus.

CERT first learned of the virus Friday afternoon, and its members worked through the night to analyze it, Katherine Fithen, CERT manager, said. She said the full reach of the virus might become clear today when millions of people sit down at their computer terminals for the first time since Melissa emerged.

Fithen declined to say if any government's security was breached and wouldn't name anyone whose files had been damaged. The New York Times reported today that files at Charles Schwab, Lucent Technologies and Intel had been affected.

The Melissa virus spreads via infected e-mail and attacks computers loaded with Microsoft's widely used Word 97 or Word 2000 programs, according to CERT.



http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/melissa.shtml

F-Secure Virus Descriptions : Melissa

NAME: Melissa

ALIAS: Simpsons, Kwyjibo, Kwejeebo, Mailissa

For more information on Melissa, see Global Melissa Information Center at http://www.F-Secure.com/melissa/

A virulent and widespread computer virus was found on Friday, March 26, 1999. This virus has spread all over the globe within just hours of the initial discovery, apparently spreading faster than any other virus before.

The virus, known as W97M/Melissa









https://www.yahoo.com/news/nobel-prize-physics-being-awarded-075044191.html

Yahoo! News

Pioneers in artificial intelligence win the Nobel Prize in physics

DANIEL NIEMANN and MIKE CORDER

Updated Tue, October 8, 2024 at 5:13 AM PDT

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Two pioneers of artificial intelligence – John Hopfield and Geoffrey Hinton – won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for helping create the building blocks of machine learning that is revolutionizing the way we work and live but also creates new threats to humanity, one of the winners said.

Hinton, who is known as the Godfather of artificial intelligence, is a citizen of Canada and Britain who works at the University of Toronto and Hopfield is an American working at Princeton.

“This year’s two Nobel Laureates in physics have used tools from physics to develop methods that are the foundation of today’s powerful machine learning,” the Nobel committee said in a press release.

Ellen Moons, a member of the Nobel committee at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, said the two laureates “used fundamental concepts from statistical physics to design artificial neural networks that function as associative memories and find patterns in large data sets.”

She said that such networks have been used to advance research in physics and “have also become part of our daily lives, for instance in facial recognition and language translation.”

Hinton predicted that AI will end up having a “huge influence” on civilization, bringing improvements in productivity and health care.

“It would be comparable with the Industrial Revolution,” he said in the open call with reporters and the officials from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

“Instead of exceeding people in physical strength, it’s going to exceed people in intellectual ability. We have no experience of what it’s like to have things smarter than us. And it’s going to be wonderful in many respects,” Hinton said. “But we also have to worry about a number of possible bad consequences, particularly the threat of these things getting out of control.”

The Nobel committee that honored the science behind machine learning and AI also mentioned fears about its possible flipside. Moon said that while it has "enormous benefits, its rapid development has also raised concerns about our future. Collectively, humans carry the responsibility for using this new technology in a safe and ethical way for the greatest benefit of humankind.”

Hinton shares those concerns. He quit a role at Google so he could more freely speak about the dangers of the technology he helped create.

On Tuesday, he said he was shocked at the honor.

“I’m flabbergasted. I had, no idea this would happen,” he said when reached by the Nobel committee on the phone.

There was no immediate reaction from Hopfield.

Hinton, now 76, in the 1980s helped develop a technique known as backpropagation that has been instrumental in training machines how to “learn.”

His team at the University of Toronto later wowed peers by using a neural network to win the prestigious ImageNet computer vision competition in 2012. That win spawned a flurry of copycats, giving birth to the rise of modern AI.

Hinton and fellow AI scientists Yoshua Bengio and Yann LeCun won computer science’s top prize, the Turing Award, in 2019.

“For a long time, people thought what the three of us were doing was nonsense,” Hinton told The Associated Press in 2019. “They thought we were very misguided and what we were doing was a very surprising thing for apparently intelligent people to waste their time on. My message to young researchers is, don’t be put off if everyone tells you what are doing is silly.”

Hopfield, 91, created an associative memory that can store and reconstruct images and other types of patterns in data, the Nobel committee said.

“What fascinates me most is still this question of how mind comes from machine,” Hopkins said in a video posted online by The Franklin Institute after it awarded him a physics prize in 2019.

Hinton used Hopfield's network as the foundation for a new network that uses a different method, known as the Boltzmann machine, that the committee said can learn to recognise characteristic elements in a given type of data.

Six days of Nobel announcements opened Monday with Americans Victor Ambros and Gary Ruvkun winning the medicine prize for their discovery of tiny bits of genetic material that serve as on and off switches inside cells that help control what the cells do and when they do it. If scientists can better understand how they work and how to manipulate them, it could one day lead to powerful treatments for diseases like cancer.

The physics prize carries a cash award of 11 million Swedish kronor ($1 million) from a bequest left by the award's creator, Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel. The laureates are invited to receive their awards at ceremonies on Dec. 10, the anniversary of Nobel’s death.

Nobel announcements continue with the chemistry physics prize on Wednesday and literature on Thursday. The Nobel Peace Prize will be announced Friday and the economics award on Oct. 14.









https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petty_officer_second_class

Petty officer second class

From Wikipedia

Petty officer second class is the fifth enlisted rank in the U.S. Navy, just above petty officer third class and below petty officer first class, and is a non-commissioned officer. It is equivalent to the rank of sergeant in the Army and Marine Corps, and staff sergeant in the Air Force.









https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039799/releaseinfo

IMDb

Sarge Goes to College (1947)

Release Info

USA 13 May 1947









from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

From: Kerry Burgess {me}

Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:04 AM

To: Kerry Burgess {me}

Subject: Re: Journal May 21, 2006

Kerry Burgess wrote:

I think it was my first thought after waking up this morning that I used to date Julia Roberts a long time ago.

I also have these unexplained thoughts that I was a fighter pilot in the U.S. military, although I'm not sure which service, but I may have been in two different branches over time. I am also confused about thoughts that I may have been a helicopter pilot. What's next? A space shuttle pilot? Seems like a lot for someone that is only 40. And, while I am not sure when this divergence happened, I am reasonably certain it was before I turned 33. So I must have been a pretty busy guy. Especially because I have thoughts that I was some kind of mathmetician too. I have these thoughts too that I was captured by enemy forces at some point and tortured while in captivity.



by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal: 9/26/2006 3:06 PM

As I was trying to go to sleep last night, I had a thought that I have a doctorate in computer science from Princeton.

and I had thoughts that I studied music as well at Princeton.



from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journals: 9/28/2006 7:13 PM

This sounds very interesting. In my memory of taking Physics my Senior year at Ashdown, I remember being very interested in the class, but we didn’t cover such an interesting topic.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/about/present/

Ayan Chatterjee (left) and Mark Daly measure piano strings as part of a lab project for professor Pierre Piroué's freshman seminar on "Sound, Music and ... Physics."

9/28/2006 7:37 PM

I think I even have memories of the graduate degree process. I am not sure of the terms to describe the process.

9/28/2006 7:47 PM

I actually do remember... something... I can’t explain it. It feels that I am holding an unmarked, undistinguishable book that I don’t know the name of or the contents but I know I have read it already.

9/28/2006 8:34 PM

A few minutes ago I started thinking that maybe I started at Princeton University in 1972. I would have been 13 at the time as Thomas Ray. I remember that Kerry Burgess started first grade in 1972. But then I decided that I probably started Princeton earlier than 1972 and maybe 1972 was the year I completed my first major degree. Or 1972 doesn’t really mean anything in particular to Thomas Ray; rather it is there for continuity sake for the life of Kerry Burgess.



by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: H.V.O.M at 3:06 AM Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Salesman

Also, "Salesman." I saw that in a dream while sleeping recently. I saw myself going through an induction process in the United States Marine Corps and I woke up understanding that I was dreaming of my actual experience in 1990. I saw a document that indicated I was being inducted to the United States Marine Corps with the officer grade of Chief Warrant Officer 2. I saw in the dream another document associated with my induction and that document indicated I had been assigned the informal name "Salesman."









Stargate SG-1

Season 2 Episode 15

The Fifth Race

This episode marks the first direct reference to the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates, on the series.









Stargate SG-1 - :The Fifth Race" - tv-eries Season 2 Episode 15 - 01/22/1999

(from internet transcript)

United States Air Force captain, Doctor Samantha CARTER
Who are the Ancients?

Doctor Daniel Jackson
Well, I think they could be the teachers of roads. See, the Romans were the first real road builders. They spoke Latin and they learned to build roads from the gods, known as the Ancient ones.

CARTER
I'm still not following you.

DANIEL
Roads. Stargates. The Gate builders. What if these Ancients were the alien race who invented the Stargate?

CARTER
You're still just speculating, right?

DANIEL
Well, that would certainly explain why Jack knew about Stargates that the Goa'uld haven't even discovered yet.

CARTER
I don't know, Daniel. Why would they invent a device that would do this?

DANIEL
'The place of our legacy'









Stargate SG-1 - The Fifth Race - tv series Season 2 Episode 15 - 01/22/1999

(from internet transcript)

O'NEILL
"Noo ani anqueetas. Hic qua videeum."

[Daniel goes over to the monitor and then looks back at O'Neill.]

DANIEL
Jack, are you reading this?

[He points to the monitor screen.]

O'NEILL
(irritably)
I don't know, you tell me.

DANIEL
Well, I…I don't know, I haven't even been able to associate sounds to the symbols. Do you know what this means?

O'NEILL
(rubbing his eyes)
No! I'm just looking at it and the words just pop right into my fron.

[Daniel just stares at him. O'Neill shakes his head wearily.]

O'NEILL
Does anybody think this is odd?

[Daniel, Teal'c and O'Neill exchange glances.]

INT—SGC—CORRIDOR

[Daniel and Carter are walking. Daniel has a very large, antique-looking book in his arm.]

DANIEL
The language he's speaking has similar sounds to Medieval Latin but it's still quite different.

CARTER
So he's in the infirmary now?

[They enter Daniel's office.]

DANIEL
Yes, but before we took him there, he picked up a chalk and did this in about thirty seconds flat.

[He shows Carter a blackboard full of numbers and unfamiliar symbols.]

DANIEL
Do you have any idea what this means?

[Carter stares at it.]

CARTER
No. I mean, even the simple equations don't make any sense. No, this is like no math I've every seen.










fire-control-fundamentals_d-1_1 .jpg, from internet
mk152 analysisofcomput00will_1 .jpg, from internet
google-books_gunners-mate-1-c_1 .jpg, from internet
univac-1219_programming-guide_pg-cover_1 .jpg, from internet
univac-1219_start-step_1 .jpg, from internet
univac-1219_programming-guide_pg-1-2-27_1 .jpg, from internet









The Final Countdown (1980)

US Navy chief petty officer: It's a code.

US Navy commander Dan Thurman - USS Nimitz CVN 68 executive officer: Can you break it, Chief?

CPO: I think someone's putting us on.

Dan Thurman: Why?

CPO: Because I learned this code at Great Lakes. It's ancient!









From 5/13/1947 ( premiere USA film "Sarge Goes to College" ) To 8/1/1980 ( premiere USA film "The Final Countdown" ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 6/8/1993 ( commencement, Princeton University Class of 1993 ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 2054 days

From 11/2/1965 ( me ) To 6/18/1971 ( the Washington Post began publishing its own series of articles based on the so-called Pentagon Papers ) is 2054 days



From 12/29/1926 ( Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of USA: Address at the 150th Anniversary of the Battles of Trenton and Princeton, Trenton, N.J. ) To 6/8/1993 ( commencement, Princeton University Class of 1993 ) is 24268 days

24268 = 12134 + 12134

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 1/28/1955 ( premiere USA film "Carolina Cannonball" ) To 4/18/1988 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, while enlisted {non-commissioned officer} paygrade E-5, designated Fire Controlman Petty Officer Second Class (FC2), from my official enlisted US Navy records: during USA Armed Forces Expeditionary Operation Earnest Will with my personal participation and commendation - CF-division, Missile Plot - guided-missiles Fire Control Computers Complex (UNIVAC {base-8} digital-computers Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance) - aboard the USS Wainwright CG-28, {homeport: Charleston, South Carolina}, US Navy, the United States Operation Praying Mantis ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( me ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 1/28/1955 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Dear Phoebe"::"Out of My Mind" ) To 4/18/1988 ( see above ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 12/25/1957 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Millionaire"::"The Regina Wainwright Story" ) To 3/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate and possibly the date of the secret, doctorate-degree credential from Princeton University, I can theorize only ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 8/15/1972 ( Richard Nixon, 37th President of USA: Message to the Congress on Plans for an International Exposition on the Environment To Be Held in Spokane, Washington {Children of the Sun} ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 9656 days

9656 = 4828 + 4828

From 11/2/1965 ( me ) To 1/21/1979 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Battlestar Galactica"::"War of the Gods - Part 2" ) is 4828 days



From 2/17/1953 ( premiere USA film "Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe" ) To 5/9/1986 ( premiere USA film "Short Circuit" AND as Kerry Burgess my official US Navy documents includes: Fire Control Technician Class "A" - Great Lakes, Illinois - Date Enrolled - occupational rating for US Navy fleet warship weapons systems control ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 10/5/1958 ( premiere USA TV series "Lawman"::series premiere "The Deputy" ) To 12/25/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind: in non-aviator related duties on the ground as United States Marine Corps chief warrant officer Kerry Wayne Burgess I was prisoner of war in Croatia ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



From 9/17/1965 ( premiere USA TV series "Hogan's Heroes" ) To 12/7/1998 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, my first day as full-time employee of Microsoft Corporation in Seattle until 02/06/2004 ) is 12134 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1999 ( ) is 12134 days



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709187/

IMDb

Stargate SG-1

Season 2, Episode 15

The Fifth Race (22 Jan. 1999)

Richard Dean Anderson ... Colonel Jack O'Neill

SG1 travels to a Stargate where O'Neill looks into a strange device that downloads information into his brain. Back on Earth, he starts to speak using a strange language. Carter and Teal'c try to find a solution and become trapped on a burning hot planet, when the Stargate fails to dial out. O'Neill solves the problem by designing a solution, but then he designs a device. But for what purpose?

Release Date: 22 January 1999 (USA)










1993-06-08_5

https://theprince.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/?a=d&d=WeeklyBulletin19930614-01.2.3&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

Princeton Weekly Bulletin, Volume 82, Number 29, 14 June 1993









From 1/4/1941 ( Maureen Reagan ) To 11/21/1964 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Outer Limits"::"The Inheritors - Part 1" ) is 8722 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/19/1989 ( ) is 8722 days



from my public journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

Posted by me, Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 12:03 PM Tuesday, December 16, 2008

From 5/21/1969 ( I am Princeton University Medical Doctor degree graduate as Dr. Thomas Reagan M.D. ) to 7/21/1979 ( my wife Phoebe and I are married ) is: 3713 days

From 7/21/1979 ( my wife Phoebe and I are married ) to 9/19/1989 ( premiere US TV series "Doogie Howser, M.D." ) is: 3713 days



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doogie_Howser

Doogie Howser, M.D.

Original run September 19, 1989 – March 24, 1993

Doogie Howser, M.D. (1989–1993), is a television comedy-drama starring Neil Patrick Harris as a brilliant teenage doctor who was also faced with the problems of being a normal teenager, despite having graduated from Princeton University at age 10.

excerpt ends Posted by me, Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 12:03 PM Tuesday, December 16, 2008









Red Storm Rising (1986) - Tom Clancy

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 40

The Russian plan of attack had anticipated that the American fighters would try to burn through the jamming aircraft to the north, then be caught off balance by the appearance of the Backfires to the east. But the jammers were gone, and the Backfires did not yet have the American carrier fleet on radar and could not launch their missiles on the basis of hours-old satellite photographs. Neither could they run away. The supersonic Russian bombers went to afterburner and activated their radars in a contest with time, distance, and American interceptors.

Again it was like watching a video game. The symbols designating the Backfires changed as the planes switched on their own protective jammers. The jamming reduced the effectiveness of the Phoenix missiles, but Russian losses were already serious. The Backfires were three hundred miles away. Their radars had an effective range of only half that, and already fighters swarmed over their formations. "Tallyho" calls cluttered the radio circuits as the Tomcats converged to engage the Russian bombers, and the ^ symbols started dropping off the radar screens. The Backfires closed at seventeen miles per minute, their radars searching desperately for the American fleet.

"Going to get some leakers," Toland said.

"Six or eight," Jacobsen agreed.

"Figure three missiles each."

By now the Tomcats had fired all of their missiles, and drew off for the Hornets to join the action with Sparrows and Sidewinders. It wasn't easy for the fighters to keep up with their targets. The Backfires, speed made for difficult pursuit curves, and the fighters were notoriously short on fuel. Their missiles continued to score, however, and no amount of jinking and jamming could defeat all of them. Finally one aircraft got a surface radar contact and radioed a position. The seven remaining Backfires fired their missiles and turned north at Mach 2. Three more fell to missiles before the fighters had to turn away.

Again the Vampire call came in, and again Toland cringed. Twenty incoming missiles were plotted. The formation activated jammers and SAM systems, with a pair of Aegis cruisers on the threat axis. In seconds they were launching missiles, and the other SM2-equipped SAM ships added their own missiles to the "basket," allowing their birds to be guided by the Aegis computer systems. The twenty incoming missiles had ninety SM2s targeted on them. Only three got through the SAM cloud, and only one of them headed for a carrier. America's three point-defense guns tracked the AS-6 and destroyed it a thousand feet from the ship. The other two missiles both found the cruiser Wainwright and exploded her four miles from Independence.

"Damn." Jacobsen's face took a hard set. "I thought we had that one beat.










chicago-tribune_10-02-1960_1









http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belknap_class_cruiser

Belknap class cruiser

The Belknap class cruiser was a class of single-ended guided missile cruisers

When commissioned, the main armament of the Belknap class was a 5 inch/54-caliber Mk. 42 gun on the quarterdeck and a twin-rail RIM-2 Terrier Mk 10 Missile Launcher on the foredeck. During the NTU program in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the class had its Terrier systems upgraded to utilize standard missiles










108-1 .jpg, USS Wainwright Veterans Association
107-1 .jpg, USS Wainwright Veterans Association










dsc00747_
dsc00743_
DSC00505









Chicago Tribune

Navy Rises To Occasion In Duel At Sea

April 19, 1988 By David Evans, Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON For the first time in more than 40 years, enemy warships have seriously challenged the U.S. Navy at sea. The Navy won - decisively.









excerpts

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/the-presidents-news-conference-991

The American Presidency Project

RONALD REAGAN

40th President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

The President's News Conference

October 01, 1981

Saudi Arabia and Iran

Q. Mr. President, you said a few minutes ago that you would not allow, you would not permit what happened in Iran several years ago to happen in Saudi Arabia. How would you prevent that? Would you take military intervention if that was necessary to prevent it?

The President. I'm not going to talk about the specifics of how we would do it, except to say that in Iran, I think the United States has to take some responsibility for what happened there with some very shortsighted policies that let a situation come to a boiling point, that there was no need to do that.

But in Saudi Arabia, I just would call to your attention that it's not only the United States, it's the whole Western World. There is no way, as long as Saudi Arabia and the OPEC nations there in the East and Saudi Arabia's the most important provide the bulk of the energy that is needed to turn the wheels of industry in the Western World, there's no way that we could stand by and see that taken over by anyone that would shut off that oil.









Red Storm Rising (1986) - Tom Clancy

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 20 – The Dance of the Vampires

"Clipper Base, this is SAM Boss. We're going to have some leakers. Recommend we start lighting up SAM radars."

"Roger, SAM Boss. Permission granted," answered the group tactical warfare coordinator.

NORTH ATLANTIC

"I have air-search radars, bearing zero-three-seven," the Bear ESM officer noted. "They have detected us. Recommend we illuminate also." The Bear lit off its Big Bulge look-down radar.

USS NIMITZ

"New radar contact. Designate Raid-2-"

"What?" snapped Baker. Next came a call from the fighters.

"Clipper Base, this is Slugger Lead. I have a visual on my target." The squadron commander was trying to examine the target on his long-range TV camera. When he spoke, the anguish in his voice was manifest. "Warning, warning, this is not a Badger. We've been shooting at Kelt missiles!"

"Raid-2 is seventy-three aircraft, bearing two-one-seven, range one-three-zero miles. We have a Big Bulge radar tracking the formation," said the CIC talker.

Toland cringed as the new contacts were plotted. "Admiral, we've been had."

The group tactical warfare officer was pale as he toggled his microphone. "Air Warning Red. Weapons free! Threat axis is two-one-seven. All ships turn as necessary to unmask batteries."

The Tomcats had all been drawn off, leaving the formation practically naked. The only armed fighters over the formation were Foch's eight Crusaders, long since retired from the American inventory. On a terse command from their carrier, they went to afterburner and rocketed southwest toward the Backfires. Too late.

The Bear already had a clear picture of the American formations. The Russians could not determine ship type, but they could tell large from small, and identify the missile cruiser Ticonderoga by her distinctive radar emissions. The carriers would be close to her. The Bear relayed the information to her consorts. A minute later, the seventy Backfire bombers launched their hundred forty AS-6 Kingfish missiles and turned north at full military power. The Kingfish was nothing like the Kelt. Powered by a liquid-fuel rocket engine, it accelerated to nine hundred knots and began its descent, its radar-homing head tracking on a preprogrammed target area ten miles wide. Every ship in the center of the formation had several missiles assigned.

"Vampire, Vampire!" the CIC talker said aboard Ticonderoga. "We have numerous incoming missiles. Weapons free."

The group antiair warfare officer ordered the cruiser's Aegis weapons system into full automatic mode. Tico had been built with this exact situation in mind. Her powerful radar/computer system immediately identified the incoming missiles as hostile and assigned each a priority of destruction. The computer was completely on its own, free to fire on its electronic will at anything diagnosed as a threat. Numbers, symbols, and vectors paraded across the master tactical display. The fore and aft twin missile launchers trained out at the first targets and awaited the orders to fire. Aegis was state-of-the-art, the best SAM system yet devised, but it had one major weakness: Tico carried only ninety-six SM2 surface-to-air missiles; there were one hundred forty incoming Kingfish. The computer had not been programmed to think about that.









Red Storm Rising (1986) - Tom Clancy

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 20 – The Dance of the Vampires

Aboard Nimitz, Toland could feel the carrier heeling into a radical turn, her engines advanced to flank speed, driving the massive warship at over thirty-five knots. Her nuclear-powered escorts, Virginia and California, were also tracking the Kingfish, their own missiles trained out on their launchers.

The Kingfish were at eight thousand feet, one hundred miles out, covering a mile every four seconds. Each had now selected a target, choosing the largest within their fields of view. Nimitz was the nearest large ship, with her missile-ship escorts to her north.

Tico launched her first quartet of missiles as the targets reached a range of ninety-nine miles. The rockets exploded into the air, leaving a trail of pale gray smoke. They had barely cleared the launch rails when the mounts went vertical and swiveled to receive their reloads. The load-and-fire time was under eight seconds. The cruiser would average one missile fired every two seconds. Just over three minutes later, her missile magazines were empty. The cruiser emerged from the base of an enormous gray arch of smoke. Her only remaining defenses were her gun systems.

The SAMs raced in at their targets with a closing speed of over two thousand miles per hour, directed in by the reflected waves of the ship's own fire-control radars. At a range of a hundred fifty yards from their targets, the warheads detonated. The Aegis system did quite well. Just over 60 percent of the targets were destroyed. There were now eighty-two incoming missiles targeted on a total of eight ships.

Other missile-equipped ships joined the fray. In several cases two or three missiles were sent for the same target, usually killing it. The number of incoming "vampires" dropped to seventy, then sixty, but the number was not dropping quickly enough. The identity of the targets was now known to everyone. Powerful active jamming equipment came on. Ships began a radical series of maneuvers like some stylized dance, with scant attention paid to station-keeping. Collision at sea was now the least of anyone's worries. When the Kingfish got to within twenty miles, every ship in the formation began to fire off chaff rockets, which filled the air with millions of aluminized Mylar fragments that fluttered on the air, creating dozens of new targets for the missiles to select from. Some of the Kingfish lost lock with their targets and started chasing Mylar ghosts. Two of them got lost, and selected new targets on the far side of the formation.

The radar picture on Nimitz suddenly was obscured. What had been discrete pips designating the positions of ships in the formation became shapeless clouds. Only the missiles stayed constant: inverted V-shapes, with line vectors to designate direction and speed. The last wave of SAMs killed three more. The vampire count was down to forty-one. Toland counted five heading for Nimitz Topside, the final defensive weapons were now tracking the targets. These were the CIWS, 20mm Gatling guns, radar-equipped to explode incoming missiles at a range of under two thousand yards. Designed to operate in a fully automatic mode, the two after gun mounts on the carrier angled up and began to track the first pair of incoming Kingfish. The portside mount fired first, the six-barrel cannon making a sound like that of an enormous zipper. Its radar system tracked the target, and tracked the outgoing slugs, adjusting fire to make the two meet.

The leading Kingfish exploded eight hundred yards from Nimitz's port quarter. The thousand kilograms of high explosive rocked the ship. Toland felt it, wondering if the ship had been hit. Around him, the CIC crewmen were concentrating frantically on their jobs. One target track vanished from the screen. Four left.

The next Kingfish approached the carrier's bow and was blasted out of the sky by the forward CIWS, too close aboard. Fragments ripped across the carrier's deck, killing a dozen exposed crewmen.

Number three was decoyed by a chaff cloud and ran straight into the sea half a mile behind the carrier. The warhead caused the carrier to vibrate and raised a column of water a thousand feet into the air.

The fourth and fifth missiles came in from aft, not a hundred yards apart. The after gun mount tracked on both, but couldn't decide which to engage first. It went into Reset mode and petulantly didn't engage any.










DSC00302
interstellar_01h22m08s
the-outer-limits_s4e23-1998_00h-34m-49s
war-of-the-worlds_season2-ep1-2021_00h-41m-19s
interstellar-2014_02h-26m-41s



- by me, Kerry Wayne Burgess, posted by me: 08:06 AM Pacific-timezone USA Tuesday 10/08/2024