Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Excursion: Stargate




Time here now: 8:20 PM Tuesday 26 December 2017

from the private journal of Kerry Burgess: 04/24/08 12:40 AM
I was just dreaming about a television movie about the 9/11/2001 attacks that featured Hal Holbrook as one of the actors. I wish I could remember everything I was thinking about as I was watching that movie in my dream, although I do not actually remember a lot of detail about the movie. I remember there was a lot of scenes about the U.S. Navy. I also remember that a lot of the scenes were filmed in locations that I remember from my locations during that timeframe, such as the Burke-Gilman Trail, which were just trivial details, or so it would seem to the casual viewer. But to me, it meaned something else that was important. There was something else in that dream that I just remembered as I was writing this and I am not certain if it was related to that movie I was dreaming of, which by the way is strange because I just looked up the credits for Hal Holbrook and I do not see any credits for anything on 9/11. Anyway, I was the pilot of an F-14 Tomcat and I can visualize certain details about flying at night and I was searching for two other fighter jets that turned out to be hostile. I can visualize communicating with my RIO and of the tactics I was using to find the other fighter jets. There was something about how the Hawkeye radar aircraft was silent because the enemy fighters were after it so I had to use my own radar as something as a flashlight that I cast about through the rain-filled night time sky hoping to pick up the enemy fighters. I found them and I think I shot them down but the details from that dream are not too clear. There is also something vague and confusing about that part in that I found something and there was another person, as though two people talking outside of my dream, which is confusing, and that one person was saying to the other person about how he was supposed to contact him when I found what I had just found. I can visualize something about that scene but I cannot articulate enough details about it to describe it.










from the private journal of Kerry Burgess: 05/26/08 10:05 PM
I caught a glimpse of a video playing on a screen around the time of the reporter making a news video on the National Guard and it looked as though it was an F-14 Tomcat, judging by the width of the wings and something else about the nature of the wings, that was being catapulted from an aircraft carrier, probably U.S. Navy.



The Andromeda Strain (2008)

15 AETVP: Monday, May 26 9:00 PM

2008, NR, 03:12, Color, English, United States, Made for TV

A reporter uncovers a government conspiracy when a deadly pathogen from a U.S. satellite spreads through Utah.

Cast: Benjamin Bratt, Eric McCormack, Ricky Schroder Director(s): Mikael Salomon

05/26/08 10:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Earth_%28film%29

The Quiet Earth is a 1985 New Zealand science fiction Doomsday film directed by Geoff Murphy and starring Bruno Lawrence, Alison Routledge and Pete Smith as three survivors of a cataclysmic disaster. It was based on the 1981 science fiction novel of the same name by Craig Harrison.


July 5th begins as a normal winter morning near Auckland, New Zealand. At 6:12 a.m., the Sun momentarily darkens and a red light surrounded by darkness is briefly seen (as if through a tunnel). The Sun then returns to normal.

Zac Hobson (Bruno Lawrence) is a scientist working for Delenco, part of an international consortium working on "Project Flashlight", an ambitious energy experiment. He awakens abruptly in his bedroom, appearing somewhat surprised, gets dressed and drives into the city. On the way, he notices that everyone seems to have vanished. Investigating a fire, he discovers the wreckage of a jet, but there are no bodies inside, only empty seats with the seat belts still fastened.

He enters his underground laboratory workplace; a monitor displays the message "Project Flashlight Complete". The mass disappearance seems to coincide with the moment that Flashlight was activated. He notes on his tape recorder:

"Zac Hobson, July 5th. One: there has been a malfunction in Project Flashlight with devastating results. Two: it seems I am the only person left on Earth."
After several days without finding anyone, his mental state begins to deteriorate. He puts on a woman's slip and alternates between exhilaration and despair. Eventually he breaks down altogether. He places cardboard cutouts of famous people (such as Adolf Hitler, Richard Nixon, and Pope John Paul II) and addresses them from a balcony. He declares himself "President of this Quiet Earth", then goes on a destructive rampage. His insanity peaks when he bursts into a church wielding a shotgun and wearing his woman's attire, shoots the crucifix and announces that he is now God. Finally, totally despondent, he puts the barrel of a shotgun in his mouth, but then backs away from the brink of madness.

He establishes a more normal routine. Then one morning, he comes across a young woman named Joanne (Alison Routledge). They eventually become lovers. Later, they find a third survivor, a large Mâori man named Api (Pete Smith). The three determine why they survived the Effect: they were all on the verge of death when it happened. Api was being drowned in a fight with another man, Joanne was electrocuted by a faulty appliance, and Zac took an overdose of pills. He had figured out that there were serious dangers with the experiment and was guilt-ridden for not speaking out.

A love triangle develops, but Zac is more concerned about some very disturbing observations: several fundamental constants of the universe are changing, causing the Sun's output to fluctuate. Zac fears that the Effect will occur again and decides to destroy the still-running Delenco facility in an attempt to stop it.

The three put aside their mounting personal conflicts and drive a truckload of explosives to the installation, only to be stopped at the perimeter when Zac detects dangerously high levels of ionising radiation that could prematurely set off the explosives. He tells the two that he must return to town to retrieve a remote control for the truck. Once he is gone, Joanne and Api make love. Afterwards, Api tells Joanna that he is going to sacrifice himself by driving the truck; he doubts that Zac's device will be capable of controlling a big semi. Then they see that Zac has reached the same conclusion. He drives the truck onto the weakened roof of the underground laboratory, which collapses under the weight. Just as the Effect reaches a maximum, he sets off the explosives.

Once again, a red light is seen surrounded by the dark tunnel. Zac finds himself lying face down alone on a beach. There are strange cloud formations, resembling waterspouts. As he walks to the water's edge, an enormous ringed planet slowly rises over the horizon. The film closes on Zac's bewildered face. He holds up his personal tape recorder as if to speak, then lowers it. He has nothing left to say.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 8:23 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 26 December 2017