Tuesday, August 07, 2018

"Bring on the bloggers", Mary Mapes.




https://archives.cjr.org/blog_report/its_mary_mapes_day_in_the_blog.php

Columbia Journalism Review

It’s Mary Mapes Day in the Blogosphere

By Felix Gillette

NOVEMBER 9, 2005










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/71.htm

Whom Gods Destroy [ Star Trek: The Original Series ]

Original Airdate: 3 Jan, 1969


SPOCK: Captain Garth

GARTH: Lord Garth!










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137363/taglines

IMDb

Arlington Road (1999)

Taglines

How well do you know your neighbour?










https://www.facebook.com/kerry.burgess.790/posts/2150778875197370

Facebook

Kerry Burgess

Tuesday, August 07, 2018 at 6:56 pm Pacific Time USA

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/08/AR2005110801843.html

The Washington Post

Ousted CBS Producer Comes Out Swinging

By Howard Kurtz

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 9, 2005

After a year of silence about the biggest scandal in CBS News history, Mary Mapes has plenty to say -- about George W. Bush, Karl Rove, Les Moonves, her father, bloggers, the mainstream press and others who she believes contributed to her downfall.

What took her so long?

"I was extremely battered," she said in an interview yesterday. "I'd had months and months of having my head kicked around a soccer stadium by much of the Western world.










https://archives.cjr.org/blog_report/its_mary_mapes_day_in_the_blog.php

Columbia Journalism Review

It’s Mary Mapes Day in the Blogosphere

By Felix Gillette

NOVEMBER 9, 2005

Mary Mapes, the erstwhile CBS News producer who was fired earlier this year for her role in the botched “60 Minutes II” story on President Bush’s National Guard service, is back in the news this week promoting her new book, Truth and Duty: The Press, the President, and the Privilege of Power. During interviews with ABC’s “Good Morning America” and Washington Post, Mapes has defended her own reporting while criticizing (a) her former employers and (b) the various bloggers who had previously criticized her former employers.

“Perhaps her greatest fury is reserved for the ‘vicious’ bloggers who pounced on the ‘60 Minutes II’ report within hours — and who she believes provided the map that major news organizations, including the Washington Post, essentially followed,” noted Howard Kurtz in an article today in the Post.

“I was attacked, Dan was attacked, CBS was attacked 24 hours a day by people who hid behind screen names,” Mapes told Kurtz. “I may be a flawed journalist, but I put my name on things.”

“Some of the key bloggers, however, posted criticism under their own names,” added Kurtz.

Today, bloggers with and without screen names were jumping at the opportunity to bash Mapes for bashing bloggers for bashing CBS for … okay, enough.

Bring on the bloggers.










From 5/4/2005 ( the incident at the police department City of Kent Washington State after my voluntary approach to report material criminal activity directed against my person and I am secretly drugged against my consent ) To 11/9/2005 is 189 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/10/1966 ( Lyndon Johnson - Remarks Upon Presenting the Big Brother of the Year Award to the Reverend William F. Graham ) is 189 days



From 12/20/1994 ( in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) To 11/9/2005 is 3977 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/22/1976 ( premiere US TV series "Charlie's Angels" ) is 3977 days



From 8/11/1933 ( Jerry Falwell ) To 8/18/1973 ( The Killian Document ) is 14617 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/9/2005 is 14617 days



From 1/10/1951 ( premiere US film "The Steel Helment" ) To 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) is 14617 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/9/2005 is 14617 days



From 1/10/1951 ( premiere US film "The Steel Helmet" ) To 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) is 14617 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/9/2005 is 14617 days



From 6/9/1955 ( premiere US film "Adventures of Captain Africa, Mighty Jungle Avenger!" ) To 11/9/2005 is 18416 days

18416 = 9208 + 9208

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/18/1991 ( premiere US film "Flight of the Intruder" ) is 9208 days



From 10/3/1993 ( the Battle of Mogadishu Somalia begins with my personal participation United States of America Delta Force operation and as Kerry Burgess the US Marine Corps captain this day is my US Silver Star date of record ) To 11/9/2005 is 4420 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/9/1977 ( Jimmy Carter - Interview With the President Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With a Group of Editors and News Directors ) is 4420 days



From 5/26/1938 ( John Jacob Abel dead ) To 6/2/1978 ( premiere US film "Capricorn One" ) is 14617 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/9/2005 is 14617 days



From 1/21/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut bound for deep space in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the planet Mars and his documented and lawful exclusive claim to the territory of the planet Mars ) To 11/9/2005 is 10885 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/22/1995 ( Bill Clinton - Memorandum on Assistance to Mongolia ) is 10885 days



From 4/6/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The City on the Edge of Forever" ) To 11/9/2005 is 14097 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/7/2004 ( premiere US TV series episode "Modern Marvels"::"A-10 Tankbuster" ) is 14097 days



From 12/7/1944 ( the Convention on International Civil Aviation ) To 12/14/1984 ( premiere US film "Starman" & premiere US film "Nineteen Eighty-Four" ) is 14617 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/9/2005 is 14617 days



From 6/29/1995 ( the Mir space station docking of the United States space shuttle Atlantis orbiter vehicle mission STS-71 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-71 pilot astronaut and my 3rd official United States of America National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) To 11/9/2005 is 3786 days

3786 = 1893 + 1893

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/8/1971 ( Richard Nixon - Executive Order 11577—Adjusting the Rates of Monthly Basic Pay for Members of the Uniformed Services ) is 1893 days



From 7/8/1999 ( premiere US film "Arlington Road" ) To 11/9/2005 is 2316 days

2316 = 1158 + 1158

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/3/1969 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Whom Gods Destroy" ) is 1158 days



https://nypost.com/2005/11/09/sticking-to-her-story-ousted-60-min-producer-wont-give-up-no-one-has-proved-that-the-documents-were-not-authentic-mary-mapes/

New York Post

STICKING TO HER STORY ; OUSTED ‘60 MIN’ PRODUCER WON’T GIVE UP ; “NO ONE HAS PROVED THAT THE DOCUMENTS WERE NOT AUTHENTIC” ; – MARY MAPES

By Michael Starr November 9, 2005 5:00am

EX-CBS producer Mary Mapes, fired over a controversial “60 Minutes II” story on President Bush’s National Guard service, says she still believes the report was “true” – and accurate.

“No one has proved that the documents were not authentic,” Mapes says on this morning’s “Good Morning America.”

Mapes is breaking her silence to promote her new book, “Truth and Duty: The Press, the President, and the Privilege of Power.”

Mapes and several others, including “60 II” executive producer Josh Howard, were fired after CBS launched an internal investigation into the story – which used unsubstantiated documents pertaining to President Bush’s service in the Texas Air National Guard in the early ’70s.

Dan Rather, who anchored the Sept. ’04 report, retired from his “CBS Evening News” anchor chair last March – while “60 Minutes II” was eventually canned.

Andrew Heyward left as president of CBS News last month.

Mapes tells Brian Ross that CBS chief Les Moonves used the internal investigation as an excuse to get rid of Rather.

“Les Moonves viewed the news department as being kind of an uppity group of folks who thought they worked in news rather than [in] television news,” she says.

“And he wanted them to work in television.”

She says she “did not have it in for George Bush” and says she doesn’t feel responsible for what happened to her colleagues in the scandal’s aftermath.

“If you’re talking about an investigation that basically gutted a news organization, and turned people one against another and made people afraid of each other and really scooted the country’s most experienced anchor out of his chair . . . I didn’t do that,” she says.

“I had absolutely nothing to do with any of that.”

What Mapes doesn’t dispute is the fact that she called a member of John Kerry’s presidential campaign before the “60 II” report aired.

“I wish to God I hadn’t done it, because I think it was so wildly misinterpreted,” she says – adding that she only made the call to curry favor with the source who gave her the disputed documents.

“I don’t think I committed bad journalism. I really don’t,” she says.

Mapes says she’s continuing to investigate the source of the documents.










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044072/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Steel Helmet (1951)

Release Info

USA 10 January 1951 (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044072/plotsummary

IMDb

The Steel Helmet (1951)

Plot

A ragtag group of American stragglers battles against superior Communist troops in an abandoned Buddhist temple during the Korean War.










http://www.tv.com/shows/modern-marvels/a-10-tankbuster-342833/

tv.com

Modern Marvels Season 11 Episode 21

A-10 Tankbuster

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 07, 2004 on The History Channel

AIRED: 6/7/04












apache-helicopter.jpg










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/quotes

IMDb

Capricorn One (1977)

Quotes

Robert Caulfield: You wouldn't know sincerity if it ran over you.

Judy Drinkwater: Not if you were driving it.










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/quotes

IMDb

Capricorn One (1977)

Quotes

Robert Caulfield: Look, when a reporter tells his assignment editor that he thinks he may be on to something that could be really big, the assignment editor is supposed to say: "You've got forty eight hours, kids, and you better come up with something good or it's going to be your neck!" That's what he's supposed to say, I saw it in a movie.










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever [ Star Trek: The Original Series ]

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967

(But McCoy has woken up, and dashes towards the Guardian.)

SCOTT: Doctor McCoy!

KIRK: Bones, no!

(McCoy leaps through the doughnut and the pictures stop. He's gone.)

KIRK: Where is he?

GUARDIAN: He has passed into... what was.

UHURA: Captain, I've lost contact with the ship. I was talking to them. Suddenly, it went dead. No static, just nothing.

KIRK: Kirk to Enterprise. Scotty.

SCOTT: Nothing wrong with the communicator, sir.

GUARDIAN: Your vessel, your beginning, all that you knew is gone.

KIRK: McCoy has somehow changed history.

SCOTT: You mean we're stranded down here?

SPOCK: With no past, no future.

UHURA: Captain, I'm frightened.

KIRK: Earth's not there. At least, not the Earth we know. We're totally alone.

Captain's log, no stardate. For us, time does not exist. McCoy, back somewhere in the past, has effected a change in the course of time. All Earth history has been changed. There is no starship Enterprise. We have only one chance. We have asked the Guardian to show us Earth's history again. Spock and I will go back into time ourselves and attempt to set right what ever it was that McCoy changed.

SPOCK: I was recording images at the time McCoy left. A rather barbaric period in your American history. I believe I can approximate just when to jump. Perhaps within a month of the correct time. A week, if we're fortunate.

KIRK: Make sure we arrive before McCoy got there. It's vital we stop him before he does whatever it was that changed all history. Guardian, if we are successful

GUARDIAN: Then you will be returned. It will be as though none of you had gone.










From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:33 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Every one that flatters thee

I don't remember when I first read this. But it sure resonates with me. It is even ironic the part about May. If I'm not mistaken, it was May 31 when I gave up my apartment. I want to sit down and try to write out as much of a timeline after that as possible, but I can't remember a lot of the details, although I knew all along that my tormentors knew exactly what I was doing and where I was located every minute of every one of those days. And so in this message below, he is talking basically about how people can talk about being your friend, but it is when the world throws you down into some really dark place, it is your friends that are going to be there with you. And I remember those first 9 days I was starving










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever [ Star Trek: The Original Series ]

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


SPOCK: Theft, Captain?

KIRK: Well, we'll steal from the rich and give back to the poor later. I think I'm going to like this century. Simple, easier to manage. We're not going to have any difficulty explaining

(Then he sees the policeman.)

POLICEMAN: Well?

KIRK: You're a police officer. I recognise the traditional accoutrements.

SPOCK: You were saying you'll have no trouble explaining it.

KIRK: My friend is obviously Chinese. I see you've noticed the ears. They're actually easy to explain.

(A crowd is gathering.)

SPOCK: Perhaps the unfortunate accident I had as a child.

KIRK: The unfortunate accident he had as a child. He caught his head in a mechanical rice picker. But fortunately, there was an American missionary living close by who was actually a skilled plastic surgeon in civilian life.

POLICEMAN: All right, all right. Drop those bundles and put your hands on that wall there! Come on!

KIRK: Oh, how careless of your wife to let you go out that way.

POLICEMAN: What? Where?

SPOCK: Oh, yes, it's quite untidy. Here, let me help you.

(And a quick neck pinch in front of witnesses, then they grab the clothes and run off. With whistles blowing, they duck down the alley beside the 21st Street Mission and down the stairs to the cellar.)

[Cellar]

KIRK: You were actually enjoying my predicament back there. At times, you seem quite human.

SPOCK: Captain, I hardly believe that insults are within your prerogative as my commanding officer.

KIRK: Sorry.

(They get changed into jeans and shirts.)

KIRK: Time we faced the unpleasant facts.

SPOCK: First, I believe we have about a week before McCoy arrives, but we can't be certain.

KIRK: Arrives where? Honolulu, Boise, San Diego? Why not Outer Mongolia, for that matter?










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever [ Star Trek: The Original Series ]

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


[Mission back room]

(McCoy stirs, dislodging the moist towel from his forehead.)

EDITH: Hey, now, come on. You're not ready to take on any tigers just yet. Lie down.

MCCOY: The most common question to ask would be, where am I? I don't think I'll ask it.

EDITH: Why not?

MCCOY: The only possible answer would conclusively prove that I'm either unconscious or demented. This looks like old Earth around 1920 or 25.

EDITH: Would you care to try for 30?

MCCOY: I am unconscious, or demented.

EDITH: I have a friend that talks about Earth the same way that you do. Would you like to meet him?

MCCOY: I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist. I am Leonard McCoy, Senior Medical Officer aboard the USS Enterprise.

EDITH: I don't mean to disbelieve you, but that's hardly a Navy uniform.










posted by Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 7:29 PM Friday, September 02, 2005

On the road again

Well, they are kicking me out this place in a couple weeks so I guess that settles that. Something about me not having the kind of problems a typical resident would have and I have to have the kind of problems they know how to find solutions for.

Maybe tomorrow is the day I get some answers. I still can't understand why no one has responded to me. I always tell people what I know and what I don't know when they ask me a question. With all the weird stuff going on around me these past few years, I can only conclude that they will not respond because they have something to hide.










http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/gwbush/bushang4.html

FindLaw


Lt. George W. Bush 1972-'73 Texas Air National Guard flight status and physical exam memos

Another memo to the file from Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian titled "CYA", expressing concerning about "having trouble running interference and doing my job" concerning Bush's status, and that his superior officer, Col. Walter B. Staudt, was "pushing to sugar coat" Bush's officer evaluation.

August 18, 1973










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_1933

August 1933

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following events occurred in August 1933:


August 11, 1933 (Friday)

The Simele massacre was carried out by the Iraqi Army against the unarmed Assyrian Christians living in the town of Simele, on orders of General Bakr Sidqi. The unarmed men of the town, including teenaged boys, were sought out and shot by soldiers with machine guns. According to the army report later, the bodies of 305 men, 4 women and 6 children were disposed of the next day. General Sidqi was celebrated as a national hero after his return to Baghdad.

Born: Jerry Falwell, American evangelist and conservative political activist, in Lynchburg, Virginia (d. 2007)



https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0266566/bio

IMDb


Jerry Falwell

Biography

Born August 11, 1933 in Lynchburg, Virginia, USA

Died May 15, 2007 in Lynchburg, Virginia, USA (congestive heart failure)

Birth Name Jerry Lamon Falwell










https://www.facebook.com/kerry.burgess.790/posts/2107863259488932

Facebook

Kerry Burgess

June 26, 2018 at 3:47 pm

https://www.facebook.com/kerry.burgess.790/posts/2106930579582200

Facebook

Kerry Burgess

June 25, 2018 at 3:41 PM

You only care about that Jesus bible-thumper crap because you're SCARED.

You're scared because scam-artists convinced you the Bogey Man is real.

Now you're terrified of mortality and you NEED to do anything you can to kiss the ass of your imaginary God.

Pathetic.












https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross










http://www.tv.com/shows/charlies-angels/hellride-21649/

tv.com

Charlie's Angels Season 1 Episode 1

Hellride

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 22, 1976 on ABC

AIRED: 9/22/76










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047802/releaseinfo

IMDb

Adventures of Captain Africa, Mighty Jungle Avenger! (1955)

Release Info

USA 9 June 1955



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047802/fullcredits

IMDb

Adventures of Captain Africa, Mighty Jungle Avenger! (1955)

Full Cast & Crew

John Hart ... Captain Africa












https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Silver_Star_medal.png










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/releaseinfo

IMDb

Flight of the Intruder (1991)

Release Info

USA 18 January 1991










1991 film "Flight of the Intruder" DVD video:

00:19:59


United States Navy Captain - Judge Advocate General's Corps: I hope you realize that now is the time to come to Jesus.



"Flight of the Intruder"

Stephen Coonts

St. Martin's Paperbacks


Pocket Books edition / October 1987

St. Martin's Paperbacks edition / July 2006


Page 362


"Have you ever attacked an unfragged target?"

Jake said, "Yessir, I have."

"When and what was it?"

"About a week ago Lieutenant Cole and I hit the fragged target, saved eight bombs, and then took a shot at the National Assembly building in Hanoi. That's it."

"Just one mission?"

"Yessir. Just that one."

"You're damn sure about that?" Copeland's mouth puckered into an O, then relaxed.

"Yessir."

"Lieutenant, I certainly hope that you realize that now is the time to come to Jesus. You're in a helluva lot of trouble, and if you don't come clean you're going to have every captain in the U.S. Navy fighting to be the president of your court-martial.










http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0511/09/lkl.01.html

CNN

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Mary Mapes Speaks

Aired November 9, 2005 - 21:00 ET


MARY MAPES, FIRED BY CBS NEWS OVER DAN RATHER REPORT: The story?

KING: Yes.

MAPES: I feel that probably what people think they know about this story is wrong, most of what they think they know, and I spent the last year really soul searching what I should do because I guess the easy thing to do would be just to crawl into a cave and say I'm sorry and never mind and not come out and open a small cafe in a little Texas town.

But I don't cook that well and I had to think of something else to do. And I also -- I think there were good lessons in this story for journalists and for Americans.

KING: Are you suing CBS?

MAPES: No, I'm not.

KING: I thought you were going to. I thought I read somewhere that you...

MAPES: Well, I just -- I've been very busy and I haven't done that.

KING: Did they give you proper, I mean were you properly paid?

MAPES: No, I got not one penny after 15 years. I got nothing.

KING: You were just dismissed that day after? Was it after the investigation?

MAPES: It was. I believe it was January 10th. Andrew Hayward called me on a speaker phone and fired me.

KING: In retrospect what would you change?

MAPES: I would speak out during the process because I trusted CBS. I had been with them for 15 years, loved CBS News, still do, love the people there very much, some of whom I know you know. I trusted the corporation to care about me as much as I cared about them and I wanted to do exactly what they wanted me to do and I did and it was dumb.

KING: What would you change about the story?

MAPES: I wouldn't have been so agreeable to put it on, on September 8th, which was too soon but I had never said no before to my bosses.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/quotes

IMDb


Flight of the Intruder (1991)

Quotes


Court-Martial Captain: You took an oath, Mr. Cole. You, too, Mr. Grafton. You took an oath to defend the constitution and obey the orders of the officers appointed over you. It's the same oath that every officer in the navy has taken for damn near 200 years. And during all that time, the military has obeyed the civilian elected government. Now, they might not have always been right, or wise... or even smart, but they were elected. Any other way and the United States would be nothing more than another two-bit military dictatorship.

Admiral: Why did you do this, Cole? An officer with your fine record? Did you think you were going to win the war?

Cole: Frankly, sir, I think we're going to lose this one. But I do love the work.

Court-Martial Captain: Mr. Cole, you may find that amusing, but we don't. Gentlemen, this is our country you're messing with. Well, Mr. Grafton, you have an attentive audience here. Perhaps you can explain to us why you thought a one-plane war was the way to go.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=7005

The American Presidency Project

Jimmy Carter

XXXIX President of the United States: 1977 - 1981

Interview With the President Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With a Group of Editors and News Directors.

December 9, 1977

THE PRESIDENT. Good afternoon, everybody. Have a seat, please. I apologize for interrupting your meeting. [Laughter]

First of all, I want to thank you for coming to the White House to interview our people and to let me see some old friends. Jody 1 began this program at the beginning of this year over some opposition of mine, because I thought it would be too time-consuming, and I was afraid we couldn't get enough benefit from it and understanding of what we are doing in the White House. This is the 16th meeting we've had so far, more than 450 editors and others from around the country.

1 Jody Powell, Press Secretary to the President.

Jody tells me every State except three-we haven't had anybody yet from Hawaii or Alaska or, just because of scheduling, Vermont--but 20 percent of the newspapers in the United States have had editors here at the White House this year to talk to me personally and to ask questions in an unrestricted way. It's been a very helpful thing for us in telling the American people accurately what we are doing










Flight Of The Intruder (1991)


News report tape: A Swiss camera crew in Hanoi, North Vietnam, took this footage of a celebration of sorts, commemorating the defeat of American air pirates. Here in People's Resistance Park, they've set up trophies of their victories: grim reminders of the losses taken in this seven-year-old war over the North.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/quotes

IMDb


Flight of the Intruder (1991)

Quotes


Cdr. Camparelli: This is a daylight raid, gentlemen. Air Force, Marines, Navy, everything we got. They've had three years to get ready for us. The most formidable air defenses in the history of warfare. Our job, the task of the Intruder, is to kill SAMs. Make no mistake about it, gentlemen, SAMs are where your ordnance goes. Otherwise, those B-52's will be dead meat. We can expect a forest of SAMs and flak you can lay down on. We've got to cut a path through for the Air Force. We'll be going in broad daylight with nothing to hide behind. We'll be easy targets up there, gentlemen, but they're counting on us.










1991 film "Flight of the Intruder" DVD video:


Title Card: The A-6 was the U.S. Navy's medium attack bomber during the Vietnam Conflict. It flew at tree-top level in any weather at night and alone. The aircraft had no defensive weapons. It was called - The Intruder.

Title dialog: Three Communist PT boats attacked an American destroyer off the coast of Vietnam yesterday, and today President Johnson's response was hard and tough. He has ordered the U.S. Navy to continue patrolling there, and if they are attacked, to destroy their attackers. [ Title dialog continues: ] President Johnson: I understand the feelings of those who regret that we must undertake air attacks. I share those feelings. [ Title dialog continues: ] Some nights, we're the only airplane going up - going up into the North and when you're thinking you're the only Americans over North Vietnam, it kind of makes you wonder just a little bit, you know. "What am I doing here?"










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/quotes

IMDb


Flight of the Intruder (1991)

Quotes


Court-Martial Captain: Mr. Cole, you may find that amusing, but we don't. Gentlemen, this is our country you're messing with. Well, Mr. Grafton, you have an attentive audience here. Perhaps you can explain to us why you thought a one-plane war was the way to go.

Lt. Jake Grafton: Well, sir, we bomb worthless targets night after night - I mean, three tents under a tree... sampan repair yards that have been hit ten times already. Sir, you know the list better than I do. My first bombardier and 50,000 other Americans are dead and... can anyone tell me why? I realize that I'm Lieutenant Nobody. I'm... I'm not really sure about anything anymore. This war's become very confusing. Nobody... nobody wants to fight in it. Nobody seems to want to win it. Maybe it never should have happened, but people do die in it. Maybe for me, it got personal, because I do know the difference between dying for something and dying for nothing. I know that's no excuse. I... I know that. And I broke the faith, and for that, I am truly wrong. Perhaps I should hang.

Court-Martial Captain: Hanging, Mr. Grafton, is no longer a punishment much in use. But a prison term in Leavenworth is, or a dishonorable discharge if a court-martial should so decide. But whatever happens,I think it's safe to say that your career in the navy is over. The only question's how.










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/releaseinfo

IMDb

Capricorn One (1977)

Release Info

USA 2 June 1978



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/fullcredits

IMDb

Capricorn One (1977)

Full Cast & Crew

James Brolin ... Charles Brubaker
Brenda Vaccaro ... Kay Brubaker










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Abel


John Jacob Abel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Jacob Abel (19 May 1857 – 26 May 1938) was an American biochemist and pharmacologist. He established the pharmacology department at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1893, and then became America's first full-time professor of pharmacology. During his time at Hopkins, he made several important medical advancements, especially in the field of hormone extraction. In addition to his laboratory work, he founded several significant scientific journals such as the Journal of Biological Chemistry and the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/quotes

IMDb

Capricorn One (1977)

Quotes

Lt. Col Peter Willis: [Delirious, crawling up a cliff] Guy travels to Europe for a vacation... it's his first time, he sees the sights, has a real good time... after a while he decides to call home... gets his brother on the phone and says 'so how are things back home?'

[pauses, panting]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: ... and the brother says 'your cat died!'... the guy says 'you shouldn't break bad news like that, you should...

[pauses, strains as he pulls himself upwards]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: ... break it to me gently... like, you should say, 'the cat crawled out on the roof... chasing a squirrel... and got stuck...

[pauses, panting heavily]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: we had to call the fire department... the fireman climbed up and got the cat, but on the way down he slipped... the cat fell to the ground...

[slips, yelps as he struggles to find footing - secures himself, wheezes with exhaustion]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: ... we had to take the cat to the vet... they tried to save the cat, they even operated... on the cat... but it was too late... they couldn't save the cat'... that's how you should break bad news like that'... so the guys says to his brother, 'anyway, how's mom?'... and the brother says

[pulls himself to the top of the cliff in a final effort]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: 'SHE'S ON THE ROOF!'...

[looks up and sees the two helicopters waiting for him]

Lt. Col Peter Willis: She's on the roof! Ha! Ha-ha! Get it...? She's on the roof...

[Lets off the flare]










http://www.tv.com/shows/star-trek/whom-gods-destroy-24952/

tv.com


Star Trek Season 3 Episode 14

Whom Gods Destroy

Aired Jan 03, 1969 on NBC

AIRED: 1/3/69










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137363/releaseinfo

IMDb

Arlington Road (1999)

Release Info

USA 8 July 1999 (Beverly Hills, California) (premiere)



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137363/fullcredits

IMDb

Arlington Road (1999)

Full Cast & Crew

Jeff Bridges ... Michael Faraday
Tim Robbins ... Oliver Lang










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1966


May 1966

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following events occurred in May 1966:

May 10, 1966 (Tuesday)


At a press conference in New York, Bob Hermann and William D. Cox announced the founding of the North American Professional Soccer League, with plans to play professional soccer during the autumn of 1967 in 11 cities. The league, renamed the National Professional Soccer League, would play in ten cities in 1967, and then merge half of its teams with a rival organization, the United Soccer Association to create the North American Soccer League.





http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=27586

The American Presidency Project

Lyndon B. Johnson

XXXVI President of the United States: 1963-1969

213 - Remarks Upon Presenting the Big Brother of the Year Award to the Reverend William F. Graham

May 10, 1966

DR. GRAHAM, when they told me you were going to receive the Big Brother of the Year Award, I recalled some lines from a hymn that I used to sing as a boy. I believe they are appropriate for the occasion today:

"Throw out the life-line across the dark wave,

There is a brother whom someone should save..."

I'm not going to ask you to sing it, but I'm sure you remember the rest of the words.

Few men have thrown out as many lifelines as Billy Graham. They are lifelines of hope, of faith, of guidance, and of spiritual strength. Today, one of those lifelines is coming back--with a word of thanks from a group of very dedicated Americans.

The Good Book tells us that, "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." In your case, Dr. Graham, it is a rich harvest of satisfaction--and gratitude.

Big Brothers of America are honoring you today for your leadership and influence among the youth of our Nation. I know something about that leadership--and I have seen some of the results of that influence. It is no small thing.

A man's character is molded in his youth. Or, as Wordsworth once wrote: "The child is father of the man."

I do not despair of our youth. I think our young men and women in the Peace Corps, in Vietnam, and in our community action poverty programs, have established themselves as the finest generation in the history of this Nation. But it's reassuring to know there are great men like you who have helped so many of them along the early part of their journey.












20161121-monkey-see-monkey-do.jpg





billy graham 1971.jpg





Chimp- .jpg





20-funny-fortune-cookie-sayings.jpg





50_million_cigarette_smokers_can_t_be_wrong_by_melotto-d6ym7pb.jpg










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/quotes

IMDb

1984 (1984)

Quotes

[Winston renders a war hero an "unperson"]

Winston Smith: [into his speaker phone] Rutherford unperson. Substitute Ogilvy. Ogilvy bio details as follows: war hero, recently killed, Malabar front. Today awarded posthumous secondary order of conspicuous merit second class.

[Winston tapes over Rutherford's face, consigning him to oblivion]










https://archives.cjr.org/blog_report/its_mary_mapes_day_in_the_blog.php

Columbia Journalism Review

It’s Mary Mapes Day in the Blogosphere

By Felix Gillette

NOVEMBER 9, 2005


“[I]t’s clear Mapes has decided that book sales are not well served by a simple admission of error or by the ‘fake but accurate’ line advanced by some of her peers,” noted Verum Serum. “No, Mary has decided to go the full monty with this. She still believes it’s all true.”

“That Mapes can still not be bothered to do basic research on this story is astonishing and sad, but also a little funny,” noted Jackie Danicki on jackiedanicki.com. “Or maybe she’s just as outrageously dishonest as so many have always contended.”

“What a difference a year makes, eh Mary Mapes?,” wrote Right Wing Nut House in a post entitled, “Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary.” “Just think … a year ago you were a big shot producer at the ‘Tiffany Network’ of CBS. You had gofers at your beck and call. A nice, fat, expense account. A couple of awards under your belt. The fawning admiration of your colleagues. Dan Rather even said hello to you in the CBS cafeteria. Now, you’re a wreck.”

Not that Mapes was without an occasional defender.

“Mary Mapes was right about what she reported and all she has to do is wait for vindication,” wrote Wylie Post. “Just like Michael Moore, Joe Wilson, Paul O’Neill, General Shinseki and others who have been vindicated, it will eventually be proven that Bush deserted his unit in Texas just like he no-showed in Alabama. It’ll all come out sooner or later.”

But Wylie is in the minority, as most bloggers hammer away at Mapes and the media outlets giving space to her claims — particularly Vanity Fair, which recently published an excerpt from Mapes’ book.

“That Mapes thinks that her own actions were even remotely comparable to the revelation of Watergate proves that she has absolutely no idea what she did wrong,” noted TigerHawk. “That Vanity Fair would print such trash proves that Graydon Carter remains deeply invested in discrediting George W. Bush, regardless of the cost to his own credibility.”

The Red Voice, on the other hand, offered Mapes a potential scoop. “I have, in my possession right now, documents that will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Saddam Hussein swallowed the evidence of WMD in little tiny balloons and that Osama bin Laden is, in actuality, Madeline Albright after in-patient Jenny Craig therapy,” wrote the Red Voice. “Seriously. They may or may not be authentic, but apparently that is not of great concern.”

Mapes is, however, inspiring the Red Voice to move ahead on one front: “I was under the mistaken impression that journalism was in trouble in this country,” he and/or she writes. “I wasn’t exactly ready to jump off the roof or anything, but I was concerned. Now I know that I can go ahead and jump off the roof.”










1978 film "Capricorn One" DVD video:

01:28:27


Dr. James Kelloway: [speaking into telephone] Yes? Which one? [listening] What direction was he going? [listening] Brubaker is going west. Put everybody west.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 11:24 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 07 August 2018