This Is What I Think.

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Today is 06/18/2024, Post #1





by me, Kerry Burgess, 06/18/2024 06:20 AM









Stargate Atlantis - "Rising" - tv series premiere 07/16/2004

(from internet transcript)

SHEPPARD: I told Doctor Weir that ... I'd think about it.

O'NEILL: And? So? Well? What?!

(The helicopter's engines start to fire up.)

SHEPPARD: All due respect, sir, we were just attacked by an alien missile. Then I found out I have some mutant gene.









SHEPPARD: Then there's this Stargate thing and these expeditions to other galaxies.

O'NEILL: You know, this isn't about you, Sheppard. It's a lot bigger than that.

SHEPPARD: Right now, at this very second, whether I decide to go on this mission or not seems to be about me. (He puts his helmet on.)

O'NEILL: Let me ask you something. (He realises that Sheppard can't hear him, so takes down a headset, puts it on and speaks into the microphone.) Why d'you become a pilot?

SHEPPARD: I think people who don't want to fly are crazy.

O'NEILL: And I think people who don't want to go through the Stargate are equally as whacked. Now if you can't give me a yes by the time we reach McMurdo, I don't even want you.

HOUSE.

In someone's house, Elizabeth Weir appears on the television screen. She has recorded a video message for someone.

WEIR (on the TV): Simon, if you're watching this, it means the President has been kind enough to grant you security clearance. (We see a man, obviously Simon, sitting in the living room of the house and watching the video.) I'm not going on a diplomatic mission to another country. I'm going to another planet in another galaxy by means of a device called the Stargate. Millions of years ago there was a race of beings we call the Ancients.

(As Weir continues to speak, we see various members of the expedition as they spend their last day on Earth. Lieutenant Ford is kissed goodbye by his grandmother, and she and his grandfather make a big fuss of him as he gets into a taxi.)

WEIR: They created a network of these Stargates throughout our galaxy in order to travel freely among their worlds.

(Doctor Beckett is having a last meal with his mother. It looks like she's bringing him a dish of haggis. She puts the dish down as he smiles delightedly, and kisses him on the cheek.)

WEIR: We don't know why, but they left for another galaxy somewhere between five and ten million years ago, taking their entire city along with them.

(Doctor McKay is giving his cat to a neighbour to look after. She is already holding the cat's bowl and a large bag of cat food. McKay strokes the cat one last time, then picks up his bag and walks away.)

WEIR: That city was called Atlantis.

(In a park somewhere, Sheppard is sitting on the grass. He flips a coin into the air, catches it with one hand, slaps it onto the back of his other hand, hesitates for several seconds, then reluctantly looks at the result.)

WEIR: I have been assembling an expedition team in order to try to find Atlantis, and hopefully the Ancients who left Earth all those years ago.

(The scene returns to Simon's house and the television screen.)

WEIR: I wanna do this, Simon, with all my heart. You know me well enough to know I could never turn down an opportunity like this but I wanted the chance to tell you ...









Stargate Atlantis - "Rising" - tv series premiere 07/16/2004

(from internet transcript)

HELICOPTER. O'Neill and Sheppard are looking around for the drone.

SHEPPARD: I can't see it.

O'NEILL: Pull up! Pull up!

(He has seen the drone heading towards them from the front. Sheppard sees it and put the helicopter into a steep dive. The drone shoots over the top of them.)

ANCIENT OUTPOST. Beckett, his eyes screwed tight shut, continues to concentrate while the others watch him anxiously.

HELICOPTER.

O'NEILL: What about now?

SHEPPARD: Now's good.

(As the drone shoots underneath them, Sheppard brings the helicopter down and lands.)

O'NEILL: Shut it down!

(Sheppard yanks on a handle to shut the engines down.)

SHEPPARD: Sir? What the hell was that?

O'NEILL (holding up a finger): Wait for it.










2024-06-18_3

https://www.aaa.si.edu/collection-features/diaries/jervis-mcentee/1886/September-6



- by me, Kerry Wayne Burgess, posted by me: 06:23 AM Pacific-time USA Tuesday 06/18/2024