Sunday, June 03, 2018

Meteorology




http://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/06/skyline-2010.html

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

SUNDAY, JUNE 03, 2018

Skyline (2010)




https://www.facebook.com/kerry.burgess.790/posts/2089831931292065

Facebook

Kerry Burgess

Saturday, June 02, 2018 at 11:38 pm

I wonder when I actually watched for the first time that 2010 film?

If I recall correctly then I saw it the first time on hulu.com, back when they offered free movies.

Usually I will note in my journal when I watch for the first time a production, because there is something compelling about my personal activities, but sometimes I don't note the first time. But often I will make some note, just not that I'm watching it for the first time, but the first reference for the title is because I'm watching it for the first time.

I've thought about this title often in recent times.

Amazon.com had it listed for a price low enough I decided to purchase the video as well as its sequel, "Beyond Skyline", which I have never watched before and I am going to watch it and possibly soon in the early morning hours of Sunday or maybe not. I know that I am going to watch "Skyline" in the next hour or so.










http://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/06/beyond-skyline-2017.html

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

SUNDAY, JUNE 03, 2018

Beyond Skyline (2017)


Kerry Burgess

December 16, 2017 at 6:42 pm

For several days the past week I had decided to make another excursion to downtown Spokane.

I have to take 2 metro bus routes to get over there to downtown and then the same 2 to get back and I haven't been downtown Spokane very often, probably about a half-dozen times.

So I had a plan of what I was going to look for but I also wanted my trip to coincide with the day that new snowfall was possible.

The TV news had reported for several days that new snowfall was possible that day Friday so that was the objective of my plan, to travel over there if snowfall looked likely that day.

We've been in somewhat of a snowfall drought so far this season so traveling there made the day seem somewhat more random.

&&&
&&&

The whole point was to not check the numbers until I got back.

I still remember how suddenly the snowfall arrived yesterday. Perhaps my vantage point on the metro bus diminished that. I couldn't see outside in the direction ahead of the bus. But it was a sudden outburst of snow.

I got off the bus in the south-side of downtown Spokane and after a few steps, my right foot slipped on the sidewalk, looking down, seeming in slow motion to it all, to see a narrow corridor exposing under the snow a shiny gray metal plate.

I didn't fall but, in what seemed to be slow motion, my right-foot was sliding forward and my left-foot planted firmly behind me and I felt my left knee gently reach the pavement and then I reached out to a railing with my right hand and brought myself back up. A few hours later I discovered that astronaut statue.










https://www.facebook.com/kerry.burgess.790

Facebook

Kerry Burgess shared a post.

May 14, 2018 at 1:27pm

Kerry Burgess

January 27, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I didn't even notice that shop on that first day I walked along that sidewalk on Sprague Avenue in downtown Spokane.

I had never before walked along that area of the city until that day 15 December 2017.

I captured image 2017_Nk20_DSCN3356.jpg with my small camera just a few moments before I walked into that Spaceman Trap, as it were.

In the heavy snowfall, having got off the metro bus a few moments earlier, I was alert mainly to only the other pedestrians on the sidewalk near me and to the street signs pointing me to my destination, all new to me that day as I walked through the city.

I walked along there and suddenly, and in what seemed to be very slow motion, my foot skidded along the sidewalk, and I found myself in a kneeling position with one knee on the sidewalk. My right hand thrust out to a railing to help me return to an upright walking position.

A few hours later is when I first discovered the statue.

We've had a winter thaw around here this month and I've been meaning to go back there and capture images of that metal plate but I haven't got around to it.

I didn't even notice Spaceman Coffee that first day. That day 15 December 2017 I got back home and thinking about the statue I had first discovered that day I decided to look closer at that area of the city, several blocks away from the statue, and that was when I noticed the Google images of the photography shop and that photography studio had a spacesuit in the lobby. I traveled back there on 25 December 2017 and that was when I discovered Spaceman Coffee.












DSC02333.jpg







DSC02336.jpg







DSC02338.jpg










From 4/14/1958 ( the Soviet Union satellite Sputnik 2 burns up during reentry to Earth's atmosphere ) To 11/12/2010 ( premiere US film "Skyline" ) is 19205 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Burgess ) To 6/2/2018 is 19205 days



From 3/8/1914 ( Yakov Borisovich Zel'dovich ) To 6/2/2018 is 38072 days

38072 = 19036 + 19036

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/15/2017 ( premiere US film "Beyond Skyline" ) is 19036 days



https://www.facebook.com/MichelleBossKREMWeather/photos/a.171381783022808.1073741828.168698613291125/952338624927116/?type=3&theater

Facebook


Meteorologist Michelle Boss KREM

Sunday, June 03, 2018 at 11:00 am

I got to talk about weather yesterday....and then talk about bugs...and even brought my pet spider to work! Fun times! I'll be doing a bug feature every week now (probably will be on Sundays at 6pm). So if there is an insect/spider you're really curious about, let me know and I'll talk about it! Next one will be Sunday June 10th.










http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1988Ap%26SS.148....1M

SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS)

Title: Obituary: Yakov Borisovich Zel'dovich (1914 - 1987).

Authors: Massevich, A. G.

Journal: Astrophysics and Space Science, Volume 148, Issue 1, pp.1-2

Bibliographic Code: 1988Ap&SS.148....1M

page 1

Yakov Borisovich Zel'dovich

(1914 - 1987)

Born on 8 March, 1914










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_2


Sputnik 2

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sputnik 2 (Russian: Satellite 2), or Prosteyshiy Sputnik 2 (PS-2, Russian: Elementary Satellite 2) was the second spacecraft launched into Earth orbit, on 3 November 1957, and the first to carry a living animal, a Soviet space dog named Laika, who died a few hours after the launch.

Launched by the U.S.S.R., Sputnik 2 was a 4-meter (13 foot) high cone-shaped capsule with a base diameter of 2 meters (6.6 feet) that weighed around 500 kg, though it was not designed to separate from the rocket core that brought it to orbit, bringing the total mass in orbit to 7.79 tons. It contained several compartments for radio transmitters, a telemetry system, a programming unit, a regeneration and temperature-control system for the cabin, and scientific instruments. A separate sealed cabin contained the dog Laika.


Passenger

Main article: Laika

The first living creature (larger than a microbe) to enter orbit was a female mongrel originally named Kudryavka (Little Curly), but later renamed Laika ("Barker"). Her true pedigree is unknown, although it is generally accepted that she was part husky or other Nordic breed, and possibly part terrier. NASA refers to Laika as a "part-Samoyed terrier". Laika was selected from ten candidates at the Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine, because of her even temperament. She weighed about 6 kg (13 lbs).

The pressurized cabin on Sputnik 2 was padded and allowed enough room for Laika to lie down or stand. An air regeneration system provided oxygen; food and water were dispensed in a gelatinized form. Laika was chained in place and fitted with a harness, a bag to collect waste, and electrodes to monitor vital signs.

Early telemetry indicated Laika was agitated but alive and well, although the cabin temperature had already reached 43 °C (109 °F) by the third orbit. Biometric telemetry failed sometime after the fourth orbit. It was initially claimed that Laika had survived in orbit for a week; decades later, Russian sources revealed that Laika likely had survived only a few hours in orbit before dying from overheating.


Impact

The time after Sputnik 2 was tense for the Americans and exciting for the Soviets. The day after Sputnik 2 went into orbit the Gaither committee met with President Eisenhower to brief him on the current situation. The committee, like much of the U.S., seemed to be in a panic, afraid that they were falling so far behind the Soviets technologically that it would put them in danger of a strike using nuclear weapons.

Unlike most of the U.S., President Eisenhower kept calm through the time afterward just as he did after Sputnik 1 was launched. According to one of the president’s aides, “The president's burning concern was to keep the country from going hog-wild and from embarking on foolish, costly schemes.” And by this he was referring to the push from the Gaither committee and others to invest in creating nuclear fallout shelters.


Sputnik 2 and the Van Allen radiation belt

The Van Allen radiation belt could have received the name "Vernov Belt" after S.N. Vernov (ru) from Moscow State University. Sputnik 2 detected the Earth's outer radiation belt in the far northern latitudes, but researchers did not immediately realize the significance of the elevated radiation because Sputnik 2 passed through the Van Allen belt too far out of range of the Soviet tracking stations.

In Australia, Professor Harry Messel intercepted the signals. Other stations in Australia and South America had also been in range and intercepted the signals. However, the Soviets would not release the code that would allow the stations in Australia and South America to read the signals, and without the code, the stations would not cooperate and send the data to the Soviets.

The disagreement cost the Soviets the opportunity to claim one of the most significant findings of the space race at that time, and only after the launch (31 January 1958) of the U.S. satellite Explorer 1 did James Van Allen demonstrate the existence of the radiation belts. In 1958, with Sputnik 3, they began to cooperate, and they confirmed the findings of the U.S. satellites Explorer 1, 3, and 4.

Reentry

Sputnik 2 reentered the Earth's atmosphere 14 April 1958, at approximately 0200 hrs, on a line that stretched from New York to the Amazon. Its track was plotted by British ships and 3 “Moon Watch Observations”, from New York. It was said to be glowing and did not develop a tail until it was at latitudes south of 20 degrees North. Estimates put the average length of the tail at about 50 nautical miles. The satellite burned up in the atmosphere.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology


Meteorology

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meteorology is a branch of the atmospheric sciences which includes atmospheric chemistry and atmospheric physics, with a major focus on weather forecasting. The study of meteorology dates back millennia, though significant progress in meteorology did not occur until the 18th century. The 19th century saw modest progress in the field after weather observation networks were formed across broad regions. Prior attempts at prediction of weather depended on historical data. It wasn't until after the elucidation of the laws of physics and, more particularly, the development of the computer, allowing for the automated solution of a great many equations that model the weather, in the latter half of the 20th century that significant breakthroughs in weather forecasting were achieved.

Meteorological phenomena are observable weather events that are explained by the science of meteorology. Meteorological phenomena are described and quantified by the variables of Earth's atmosphere: temperature, air pressure, water vapour, mass flow, and the variations and interactions of those variables, and how they change over time. Different spatial scales are used to describe and predict weather on local, regional, and global levels.

Meteorology, climatology, atmospheric physics, and atmospheric chemistry are sub-disciplines of the atmospheric sciences. Meteorology and hydrology compose the interdisciplinary field of hydrometeorology. The interactions between Earth's atmosphere and its oceans are part of a coupled ocean-atmosphere system. Meteorology has application in many diverse fields such as the military, energy production, transport, agriculture, and construction.

The word "meteorology" is from Greek "meteor" and -logia "-(o)logy", i.e. "the study of things in the air".












DSC02616.jpg







DSC02619.jpg



- posted by Kerry Burgess 8:17 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 03 June 2018