Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Star Trek: Voyager




Night of the Comet

Channel 700 MGMHD

3:30 - 5:25a [ Tuesday 12 June 2018 Pacific Time USA ]

Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelli Maroney, Robert Beltran

comcast.com

(1984) Valley girls (Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelli Maroney) and a trucker (Robert Beltran) run into cannibal zombies










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


Regina: Are you sure this is the radio station?

Samantha: Yeah. Just go on in.

Regina: Well, don't push.

Samantha: Do you think whatever happened, happened everywhere? Like in Burbank or places like that?

Regina: We'll ask the DJ. He does the news, doesn't he?

Samantha: Search me. I always change the channel when the news comes on.












night-of-the-comet_00h27m11s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m14s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m20s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m21s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m27s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m28s.jpg







night-of-the-comet_00h27m37s.jpg










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


DJ voice recording tape: Well, it's time to reach into the old mailbag here. Got a letter from -

Samantha: Beam me up, Scotty.










From 4/21/1947 ( Heitor da Silva Costa dead ) To 7/4/1976 ( at extreme personal risk to himself my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship successfully intercepts the Comet Lucifer in the outer solar system and diverts it away from the planet Earth ) is 10667 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1995 is 10667 days



From 7/19/1989 ( the United Airlines Flight 232 crash in Sioux City Iowa and the end of Kerry Burgess the natural human being cloned from another human being ) To 1/16/1995 is 2007 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/2/1971 ( Richard Nixon - Radio Address: "A Salute to Agriculture." ) is 2007 days



From 5/5/1960 ( the Soviet Union Premier Khrushchev announces that an American military plane had been shot down on 1 May 1960 over Soviet Union territory ) To 7/19/1989 ( the United Airlines Flight 232 crash in Sioux City Iowa and the end of Kerry Burgess the natural human being cloned from another human being ) is 10667 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1995 is 10667 days



From 5/22/1965 ( Lyndon Johnson - Executive Order 11225—Designating the International Coffee Organization as a Public International Organization Entitled to Enjoy Certain Privileges, Exemptions, and Immunities ) To 1/16/1995 is 10831 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/29/1995 ( the Mir space station docking of the United States space shuttle Atlantis orbiter vehicle mission STS-71 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-71 pilot astronaut and my 3rd official United States National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) is 10831 days



From 9/27/1984 ( as Kerry Burgess my official United States Navy documents includes: "UA from class from 0600-0800" - absent from class from 6 AM to 8 AM - Service School Command, Orlando Florida - Basic Electricity & Electronics School, US Navy Electronics Technical (ET) formal course of instruction ) To 1/16/1995 is 3763 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/21/1976 ( Gerald Ford - Remarks at a Meeting With the Intelligence Oversight Board ) is 3763 days



From 5/7/1992 ( the first launch of the United States space shuttle Endeavour orbiter vehicle mission STS-49 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-49 pilot astronaut and my 1st official United States National Aeronautics and Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) To 1/16/1995 is 984 days

984 = 492 + 492

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/9/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The Devil in the Dark" ) is 492 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate ) To 1/16/1995 is 1402 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/4/1969 ( Richard Nixon - Statement on the Construction Industry ) is 1402 days



From 11/3/1961 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Twilight Zone"::"It's a Good Life" ) To 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) is 10667 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1995 is 10667 days



From 10/11/1962 ( premiere US TV series "McHale's Navy" ) To 12/25/1991 ( as United States Marine Corps chief warrant officer Kerry Wayne Burgess I was prisoner of war in Croatia ) is 10667 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1995 is 10667 days



http://www.tv.com/shows/star-trek-voyager/caretaker-1-6758/

tv.com


Star Trek: Voyager Season 1 Episode 1

Caretaker (1)

Aired Jan 16, 1995 on UPN

Epsiode Summary

Stardate: 48315.6

While in pursuit of a Maquis ship in a region of space known as the Badlands, the starship Voyager, under the command of Captain Kathryn Janeway, is transported 70,000 light years from home into the uncharted region of the galaxy known as the Delta Quadrant.

AIRED: 1/16/95










Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1


http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/101.htm

Caretaker

Stardate: 48315.6

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


[Barn]

(Owls hoot and dogs bark.)

TUVOK: The data processing system is behind this wall, Captain.

(A plaintive banjo starts up.)

Captain JANEWAY: You know what to do.

(Tuvok leaves.)

CARETAKER: Well, you're nothing if not persistent.

JANEWAY: We need you to send us back where we came from.

CARETAKER: That isn't possible. I've barely enough strength to complete my work.

JANEWAY: You're sealing the conduits before you die.

CARETAKER: If I don't, the Kazon will steal the water. But in a few years, when the Ocampa's energy runs out, it won't matter. They'll be forced to come to the surface and they won't be able to survive.

JANEWAY: Something you did turned their planet into a desert, didn't it? That was the debt that could never be repaid.

CARETAKER: We're explorers from another galaxy. We had no idea that our technology would be so destructive to their atmosphere. Two of us were chosen to stay behind and care for them.

JANEWAY: There's another like you here?

CARETAKER: Not anymore. No, no. She went off to look for more interesting places.

JANEWAY: Why were you bringing ships here, infecting people with a fatal illness?

CARETAKER: Oh, they didn't die of an illness. They died because they were incompatible.

JANEWAY: Incompatible?

CARETAKER: I've been searching the galaxy for a compatible biomolecular pattern. Now, in some individuals I found cellular structures that were similar, but I

JANEWAY: You've been trying to procreate?

CARETAKER: I needed someone to replace me. Someone who'd understand the enormous responsibility of caring for the Ocampa. Only my offspring could do that.

JANEWAY: Did you ever consider allowing the Ocampa to care for themselves?

CARETAKER: They're children.

JANEWAY: Children have to grow up. We're explorers too. Most of the species we've encountered have overcome all kinds of adversity without a Caretaker. It's the challenge of surviving on their own that helps them to evolve. Maybe your children will do better than you think.

KIM: Voyager to Janeway.

JANEWAY: Go ahead.

KIM: We've got problems here.










https://www.wonders-of-the-world.net/Christ-the-Redeemer/Heitor-da-Silva-Costa.php

Wonders of the World


Heitor da Silva Costa

Biographie

Heitor da Silva Costa was a civil engineer at the beginning of the 20th century. He is best known for the statue of Christ the Redeemer raised on the Corcovado, in Rio.


He died on April 21, 1947 in Rio de Janeiro.










http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths_10.html

Go backward to An Instruction, a Sin and the Consequence

Go up to Top

Go forward to Gods Creating Suffering

Night, Fear, Fire and Sin

In the creation myths of many cultures darkness represented fear. After everything was created the animals and people did not expect the sun to set. When it did fear reigned. Sometimes this fear resulted in sin, which was sometimes represented as fire.

The Aborigines of Australia believed that after the Sun Mother created all the plants and animals on Earth, she rose to the sky. As the animals watched her sink beneath the horizon they encountered incredible fear. They thought their mother had deserted them. She rose again the next morning and relieved them of their fear.

In the creation myth of the African Bushmen the Great Master and Lord of All Life, Kaang (Käng), gave the people and animals the earth he had created with the order never to build a fire. If they followed his advice they would continue to live together happily. Otherwise evil would befall them. The people vowed not to. However when darkness fell they became frightened and cold. Finally one man suggested that they build a fire. Forgetting Kaang's advice the people built a fire. Their fear eased. They could see each other again and get warm. However the animals feared the fire. They left and the evil Kaang had warned against came true; people and animals no longer live together peacefully. In this myth the fear of darkness drove the humans to commit the sin of fire.

The Greeks have one of these two elements in their creation myths. The people Prometheus creates never become afraid of darkness because he gives them the sin which bestows Zeus' anger upon them. In giving the people fire to which only the gods were supposed to have access he had caused Zeus' wrath to fall on both him and them.










from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: August 22, 2006


As I was riding the bus to the VA, I remembered something else that happened at Microsoft.










posted by Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 1:19 PM Saturday, June 02, 2007


There is that part where the woman tells "Sarah" she will get to live forever with Santa Claus, which I think is important because that has something to do with my relationship to Phoebe. I can't remember if Phoebe and I were already married in 1984 or if we were engaged to be married, where I think it was the latter still in 1984. I have those artificial and symbolic memories of dressing up as Santa Claus when I worked at Mills Store, the general hardware store in the town we lived nearby on Hicks Road.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087799/quotes

Memorable quotes for
Night of the Comet (1984)
...
Davenport: [coaxing the children for a shot] You'll just fall asleep and then you'll see Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Brian, Survivor Child: I don't believe in Santa Claus.

Dr. Carter, Project Chief: What? You don't believe in Santa?




http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000121/

Phoebe Cates
...
Gremlins (1984) .... Kate Beringer


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/quotes

Memorable quotes for
Gremlins (1984)
...
Kate: Now I have another reason to hate Christmas.

Billy Peltzer: What are you talking about?

Kate: The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


[Federation Penal Settlement, New Zealand]

(Inmates are busy constructing something. They all wear ankle-tags. One young man is up a piece of scaffolding using a laser-like device.)

Captain JANEWAY: Tom Paris? Kathryn Janeway. I served with your father on the Al-Batani. I wonder if we could go somewhere and talk.

PARIS: About what?

JANEWAY: About a job we'd like you to do for us.

PARIS: I'm already doing a job for the Federation.

JANEWAY: I've been told the Rehab Commission is very pleased with your work. They've given me their approval to discuss this matter with you.

PARIS: Well then, I guess I'm yours.

(Walking through the trees.)

JANEWAY: Your father taught me a great deal. I was his science officer during the Orias expedition.

PARIS: You must be good. My father only accepts the best and the brightest.

JANEWAY: I'm leaving on a mission to find a Maquis ship that disappeared in the Badlands a week ago.

PARIS: I wouldn't if I were you.

JANEWAY: Really?

PARIS: I've never seen a Federation starship that could manoeuvre through the plasma storms.

JANEWAY: You've never seen Voyager. We'd like you to come along.

PARIS: You'd like me to lead you to my former colleagues. I was only with the Maquis a few weeks before I was captured, Captain. I don't know where most of their hiding places are.

JANEWAY: You know the territory better than anyone we've got.

PARIS: What's so important about this particular Maquis ship?

JANEWAY: My Chief of Security was on board, undercover. He was supposed to report in twice during the last six days. He didn't.

PARIS: Maybe it's just your Chief of Security who's disappeared.

JANEWAY: Maybe. That ship was under the command of another former Starfleet officer, named Chakotay. I understand you knew him.

PARIS: That's right.

JANEWAY: The two of you didn't get along too well, I'm told.

PARIS: Chakotay will tell you he left Starfleet on principle, to defend his home colony from the Cardassians. I, on the other hand, was forced to resign. He considered me a mercenary, willing to fight for anyone who'd pay my bar bill. Trouble is, he was right. I have no problem helping you track down my friends in the Maquis, Captain. All I need to know from you is what's in it for me.

JANEWAY: You help us find that ship, we help you at your next outmeet review.

PARIS: Ah ha.

JANEWAY: Officially, you'd be a Starfleet observer during the mission.

PARIS: Observer? Oh hell, I'm the best pilot you could have.

JANEWAY: You'll be an observer. When it's over, you're cut loose.

PARIS: The story of my life.










https://www.britannica.com/event/U-2-Affair

Encyclopaedia Britannica

U-2 Incident

UNITED STATES-SOVIET HISTORY

U-2 Incident, (1960), confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union that began with the shooting down of a U.S. U-2 reconnaissance plane over the Soviet Union and that caused the collapse of a summit conference in Paris between the United States, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and France.

On May 5, 1960, the Soviet premier Nikita S. Khrushchev told the Supreme Soviet of the U.S.S.R. that an American spy plane had been shot down on May 1 over Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg), referring to the flight as an “aggressive act” by the United States.










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


TUVOK: Captain, you require sleep.

JANEWAY: Kim's mother called me just after he left her. Delightful woman. He's her only son. He'd left his clarinet behind. She wanted to know if she had time to send it. I had to tell her no. Did you know he played clarinet in the Julliard Youth Symphony?

TUVOK: I did not have the opportunity to meet Mister Kim.

JANEWAY: I barely knew him. I never seem to have the chance to get to know any of them. I have to, I have to take more time to do that. It's a fine crew and I've got to get them home.

TUVOK: The crew will not benefit from the leadership of an exhausted captain.

JANEWAY: You're right as usual. I've missed your counsel, Tuvok.

TUVOK: I am gratified that you came after me so I can offer it once again.

JANEWAY: I spoke to your family before I left.

TUVOK: Are they well?

JANEWAY: Well, but worried about you.

TUVOK: That would not be an accurate perception, Captain. Vulcans do not worry.

JANEWAY: They miss you.

TUVOK: As I do them.

JANEWAY: I'll get you back to them. That's a promise, Tuvok.

Captain's log, supplemental. The Maquis ship and Voyager have encountered a debris field where sensors have detected a small vessel. One humanoid life form is on board.










http://articles.latimes.com/1995-06-28/news/mn-18110_1_space-station

Los Angeles Times

As Spirits Fly With Atlantis, Delays a Mir Inconvenience : Space: The shuttle pierces a blue sky after Florida storms scratched two launch dates. Linkup with Russian station is on track for Thursday.

June 28, 1995 K.C. COLE TIMES SCIENCE WRITER

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — The space shuttle Atlantis cracked open a robin's-egg-blue Florida sky with a deafening roar Tuesday afternoon as hundreds of spectators and NASA officials cheered and sighed with collective relief.

Pounding rain with lightning had been soaking the area for days, preventing two scheduled launches last week and threatening to keep the five U.S. and two Russian crew members indefinitely on the ground. But the storms held off Tuesday.

Atlantis had to begin its journey during a 10-minute window beginning at 3:32 p.m. EDT in order to make its planned docking with the Russian Mir space station, now set for Thursday morning. Mir passed over Kennedy Space Center just minutes before Atlantis took off. By the time the shuttle left the ground, Mir was over Iraq.

"Liftoff of the space shuttle Atlantis on a mission that will herald a new day of international cooperation in space," launch commentator Bruce Buckingham announced as the shuttle, looking like a toy plane attached to a mile-high flamethrower, rode into orbit. The blastoff marked America's 100th manned trip into space.


Soon after launch, Atlantis began a series of rocket firings designed to put it in roughly the same orbit as Mir. Today crew members will continue to line up their orbit and will activate Spacelab, where experiments are stowed. They will also check out equipment and cameras for the docking.

On Thursday, they will drift up toward Mir. The docking itself, Gibson said, will be a "long, slow, laborious process."










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


Tom PARIS: Tom Paris, reporting on board.

DOCTOR: Oh yes. The observer.

PARIS: That's me. As a matter of fact, I seem to be observing some kind of problem right now, Doctor.

DOCTOR: I was a surgeon at the hospital on Caldic Prime at the same time you were stationed there. We never actually met. Your medical records have arrived from your last posting, Mister Paris. Everything seems to be in order. The
Captain asked if you were on board. You should check in with her.

Ensign Harry KIM: Er, I haven't paid my respects to the Captain yet either.

DOCTOR: Well, Mister Kim, that would be a good thing for a new operations officer to do.

[Corridor]

KIM: What was that all about?

PARIS: It's a long story, Harry, and I'm tired of telling it. I'm sure someone around here will tell you before long.










from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 02/10/07 3:04 PM
I awoke with thoughts of the Pink Floyd album "Animals" that I was reading about yesterday. The first interesting detail was that it released in the UK, before the US, on 1/23/77, which would have been the one year anniversary of when I left Mars. I couldn't think of a precise reason for that connection, but I don't think I have ever listended to that album and I'm not sure if I've heard any of the tracks without looking at a listing. But this morning, I awoke with a general sense that it represents that I found life on Callisto. That contradicts what I have written though about being in complete isolation for all those months because how would they have know about that until after I returned a few months after that album released? I don't know. But those thoughts this morning reinforces a theory that the name for that space shuttle that seems to connect with Callisto was given the name Atlantis because I found life on that moon.










from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 02/22/08 10:56 AM
From 5/1/1973 ( my graduation from University of Oxford includes law degree ) to 10/18/1989 ( Galileo spacecraft launched for Jupiter by STS-34 and I was onboard that space shuttle Atlantis ) is 6014 days

6014 = 3007 + 3007

From 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) to 10/9/1971 ( I am board-certified surgeon ) is: 3007 days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-34

STS-34 was a space shuttle mission by NASA using the Space Shuttle Atlantis. It was the 31st shuttle mission, and the 5th flight for Atlantis. It carried the Galileo probe bound for Jupiter.


The Space Shuttle Atlantis lifted off from Pad B, Launch Complex 39, KSC, at 12:53 p.m. EDT on Oct. 18, 1989. It carried the Jupiter-bound Galileo spacecraft in its cargo bay.


The first major task in orbit was deployment of the Galileo spacecraft with its attached IUS booster. Deployment occurred on schedule at 7:15 EDT, slightly more than six hours after launch, and the IUS performed flawlessly to send the spacecraft toward Venus on the first leg of its six-year journey to Jupiter.










from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: July 25, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-71
The primary objectives of this flight were to rendezvous and perform the first docking between the Space Shuttle and the Russian Space Station Mir on June 29.


I just realized that the Jeep Grand Cherokee I used to have could represent the space shuttle. Something about that lift gate on the back makes me think about the cargo hold on the shuttle. And that J.G.C. was white too. Could 1995 be the first time I was the commander of a shuttle mission?










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


Ensign Harry KIM: It must have been especially tough for you, being the son of an admiral.

PARIS: Frankly, I think it was tougher on my father than it was on me. Look, I know those guys told you to stay away from me. And you know what? You ought to listen to them. I'm not exactly a good luck charm.

KIM: I don't need anyone to choose my friends for me.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=51586

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993-2001

Telephone Conversation with Space Shuttle Atlantis Astronauts

July 7, 1995

The President. Hello? Captain Gibson?

Commander Robert L. Gibson. Hello, Mr. President. This is Captain Gibson. We're online.

The President. Welcome home, and congratulations. We are very proud of you.

Commander Gibson. [Inaudible]—Mr. President. It's a pleasure for us to be back, back on the ground again, and to have had the opportunity to take part in this flight.

The President. Well, the pictures were wonderful, and we all watched you with absolute fascination and incredible support and enthusiasm. This is truly the beginning of a new era of cooperation in space between the United States and Russia. We've built a new relationship between our two countries. We're doing things together. And I think that what you and your team and what the Russians did together symbolizes that more than anything that I could ever say. And I think because of your mission now, the United States and Russia, with our partners in Canada and Japan and Europe, are going to be able to meet the challenge of building the international space station. And I hope you and all of your team members will take an enormous amount of pride in that.

Commander Gibson. Well, thank you, Mr. President, for those extremely kind words. We certainly will. And I can tell you very honestly that at least all of us on the crew have a lot of very good friends in Russia and among the Russian Cosmonaut Corps and elsewhere in Russia. And I look forward very much to all of us continuing this.

The President. So do I. Before I sign off—I know you're tired and I know you're glad to be home—I want to offer a special congratulations to Norm Thagard on his record-breaking stay on orbit. We're all very proud of that. And I want to invite the entire crew to the White House as soon as you can come, because I want to hear some more about the mission and we need to talk about where we're going from here to keep the United States commitment to space exploration, travel, and to keep our whole program strong and alive.

Astronaut Norman E. Thagard. Mr. President, thanks for the words. This is Norm Thagard. The Russians took good care of me. We're great friends, so I think if what we did on a personal level is any indication, there won't be any problem with us on an intergovernmental level as well. And I'm sitting here looking at my two Russian crewmates, and I couldn't be more pleased with a crew that I've ever had.

The President. The next time we have any problems between American and Russian officials, I'm going to send them into space. I think I now know how to solve all international problems. [Laughter]

I thank you very much, and I look forward to seeing all of you. Welcome home.

Commander Gibson. Thank you, Mr. President. We really appreciate your time and your support.

The President. Thank you. Goodbye.

NOTE: The President spoke at 11:27 a.m. from the Oval Office at the White House.










http://www.tv.com/shows/star-trek/the-devil-in-the-dark-24910/

tv.com


Star Trek Season 1 Episode 25

The Devil in the Dark

Aired Mar 09, 1967 on NBC

Episode Summary

Kirk investigates a series of grisly murders on a mining planet that are the work of a seemingly hostile alien creature.

AIRED: 3/9/67










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


[Engineering]

JANEWAY: Unlock the magnetic constrictors.

CAREY: Constrictors online.

JANEWAY: Pressure?

CAREY: It's working. Twenty five hundred kilopascals and holding.

ROLLINS: Bridge to Janeway. We're being scanned by the array, Captain. It's penetrated our shields.

JANEWAY: What kind of scan? Bridge? Janeway to Bridge, respond.

(Carey vanishes.)

JANEWAY: Initiate emergency lock-off.

(Janeway vanishes.)

[Sickbay]

(Kim and Paris help a man onto a biobed as the EMH examines a woman on the next one.)

EMH: You're not seriously hurt. You can return to your station.

(She starts to sit up and vanishes. Then everyone else vanishes too.)

EMH: This is the Emergency Holographic Doctor speaking. I gave no permission for anyone to be transported out of Sickbay. Hello? Sickbay to Bridge. I believe someone has failed to terminate my programme. Please respond.

[Farm]

(The corn is as high as Kim's eye. Palomino ponies graze. A middle-aged woman comes off the verandah of a big white clapperboard house carrying a tray.)

AUNT ADAH: Come up here. Come on, now. I have a pitcher of lemonade and some sugar cookies.

(Every crew person has a tricorder.)

PARIS: Captain?

JANEWAY: Don't believe your eyes, Mister Paris. We've only transported a hundred kilometres. We're inside the array.

KIM: There's no indication of stable matter. All this must be some kind of holographic projection.

AUNT ADAH: Oh, you poor things. You must be tired out. Come on and sit down and rest awhile. Have a cold drink, hmm?

JANEWAY: No, thank you. My name is Kathryn Janeway, captain of the Federation Starship Voyager.

AUNT ADAH: Now, just make yourselves right at home. The neighbours should be here any minute. Oh! Why, here they are!

(A group of people arrive.)

CARETAKER: (old man with banjo) Well, good to see you. Welcome.

DAUGHTER: We're real glad you dropped by.

AUNT ADAH: Now we can get started. You're all invited to the welcoming bee!

CARETAKER: Let's have some music!

(The old man starts playing and the farm folk dance. After a while -)

PARIS: The crew's scattered around this farm, Captain, but they're all accounted for.

JANEWAY: Move around. Scan the area. See if you can find anything that might be a holographic generator.

AUNT ADAH: Have some nice fresh corn on the cob. Fresh corn on the cob. Corn on the cob. Corn on the cob.

JANEWAY: Can you tell me why we're here?

AUNT ADAH: Oh, we don't mean you any harm. I'm sorry if we put you out. Why don't you just put your feet up and get comfortable while you wait?

JANEWAY: Wait for what?

AUNT ADAH: Isn't anybody hungry? Come on now, make yourselves at home. I'm sorry if we put you out.

(Kim and Paris walk around the house. A dog follows them.)

DAUGHTER: Hey, let me show you around. The root cellar's right over there.

KIM: What's down there?

DAUGHTER: Potatoes, onions. But it's real private.

KIM: Paris, she's only a hologram.

PARIS: No reason to be rude.

KIM: Whoa.

PARIS: What?

KIM: Sporocystian life signs. What's in the barn?

DAUGHTER: Oh, nothing but a big old pile of hay. Hey, come on, let's go see the duck pond. There's nothing in there. It's just a dark, smelly barn. Hey, do y'all want some devilled eggs? Huh?










See also other post by me on this topic: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/05/first-contact.html


http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-08/news/mn-1910_1_space-station-assembly

Los Angeles Times


Shuttle Endeavour Blasts Off on Difficult Maiden Flight : Science: The mission includes three spacewalks, practice for space station assembly and rescue of a communications satellite.

May 08, 1992 ROBERT W. STEWART TIMES STAFF WRITER

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — Dodging gusty winds and threatening thunderstorms, the shuttle Endeavour, the nation's newest orbiter, found a hole in the clouds Thursday and blasted off on its maiden voyage.










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


Ensign Harry KIM: Is it true?

Tom PARIS: Was the accident my fault? Yes. Pilot error. But it took me a while to admit it. [ about the "food replicator" device: ] Oh, fourteen varieties and they can't even get plain tomato soup right.

KIM: They said you falsified reports.

PARIS: That's right.

KIM: Why?

PARIS: What's the difference? I lied.

KIM: But then you came forward and you admitted that it was your fault?

PARIS: I'll tell you the truth, Harry. All I had to do was keep my mouth shut and I was home free. But I couldn't. The ghosts of those three dead officers came to me in the middle of the night and taught me the true meaning of Christmas.










http://www.tv.com/shows/mchales-navy/an-ensign-for-mchale-80656/

tv.com


McHale's Navy Season 1 Episode 1

An Ensign for McHale

Aired Thursday 9:30 PM Oct 11, 1962 on ABC

Episode Summary

Ensign Charles Parker reports for duty as the new Executive Officer of the PT 73, to a not-so-warm welcome from McHale and The Crew. But McHale is soon impressed by the Ensign, and persuades the boys to shape up, so that Parker can stay on as XO.

AIRED: 10/11/62










Caretaker

Star Trek: Voyager

Television series Season 1 Episode 1

Original Airdate: January 16 1995


Tom Paris: So I confessed. Worst mistake I ever made but not my last. After they cashiered me out of Starfleet, I went out looking for a fight and found the Maquis. And on my first assignment, I was caught.

Ensign Harry KIM: It must have been especially tough for you, being the son of an admiral.

PARIS: Frankly, I think it was tougher on my father than it was on me. Look, I know those guys told you to stay away from me. And you know what? You ought to listen to them. I'm not exactly a good luck charm.

KIM: I don't need anyone to choose my friends for me.

JANEWAY: Janeway to Paris.

PARIS: Go ahead.

Captain JANEWAY: Report to the Bridge. We're approaching the Badlands.










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


Hector: Reggie! Merry Christmas. Reggie? Samantha! Hi.

White: Hi.

Hector: Did you happen to see two girls running around here? One is a cheerleader.

White: I'm not thinking straight. I wrote everything down, but I think I misspelled it.










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


White: That pad on the table. You need this?

Hector: No, thanks. I have one.










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


White: It seems to be the perfect Christmas gift this year. I'm going to miss Christmas. Permanently. I want you to know that I thought they were talking hypothetically, until they found the first survivors. Then they really did it. Some of those survivors were just kids.

Hector: Hey, wait a minute. What's all this about... blood?










Night of the Comet (1984)


Dr. White: They think they can generate a serum.

Hector: A serum?

Dr. White: We were exposed. Not a lot. Just enough. They left the ventilating ducts wide open. The fans going. Very scientific. Very stupid. In 36 hours, you will be able to vacuum up the last of them from the carpet.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 06:48 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 12 June 2018