Monday, March 14, 2022

Today is Monday, 03/14/2022, Post #3





"He has always thought that one learned only from books - that to read and to study were synonymous. Picture his delight when he finds that he can learn from things"










DSC03057_image-by-me-kerry-burgess_









Stargate Atlantis - "Rising" - tv series premiere 07/16/2004

(from internet transcript)

TEYLA: but still they return, in smaller numbers, to remind us of their power.









https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/584736main_Wings-ch5a-pgs319-343.pdf

We promised the press we would fix it by December 1993, and nobody believed us. Then, on December 20, 1993, we saw the first image come back. It was spectacular. It was fixed. And the rest is history. We went from the bottom of the Dead Sea back to the top of Mount Everest and beyond…we were elated!”









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: April 7, 2020

12j9/

After that moment of nearly intense deliberation in my mind, I did not stop to capture a digital-image that would have so perfectly well illustrated this note

Just has to be left to the imagination.

No way in hell I'm riding bicycle out there again this week

No car










DSC02751


DSC02752


DSC02754


DSC03058


DSC03061


DSC03062


DSC03063


DSC03067


DSC03070


DSC03071


DSC03074


DSC03075


DSC03081









by me, Kerry Burgess: October 6, 2020

Feels more like late August than October freaking 5th out there yesterday, and today, with this warm streak continues

Yesterday, stopping again to sit at a bench, completely exhausted already hours ago, as the evening approached, hoping I would get back before dark because I didn't even bring a light, I had to pull off the heavy outer-layer I started with

I didn't really want to pack it away so I tried to knot the sleeves around my neck

I'm standing there with those cumbersome heavy-sleeves wrapped around my neck and I knew I that wasn't going to work but there was no way I was putting it back on before daylight









by me, Kerry Burgess: October 6, 2020

I cannot think of a single person I would want to spend *eternity* with

If such thing were possible, and not the ridiculous fairy-tales invented and perpetuated by you cowards, in your desperate terror of mortality.









Posted by me, Kerry Burgess

http://hvom.blogspot.com/2016/11/central.html

November 01, 2016

Central

I can recall some details about working for that company in Memphis during that six week period of time. We mostly went to a hospital there in downtown Memphis. St. Jude's I think that was.

I know I've written about it before in my journal. I have also had the unmistakable sense of certainly that Phoebe worked there at some point and that was why I was there.









Battlestar Galactica: Razor (2007 TV Movie)

Quotes

Admiral Helena Cain: Yesterday, you showed me that you were capable of setting aside your fears, setting aside your hesitation, and even your revulsion. Every natural inhibition that, during battle, can mean the difference between life and death. When you can be this for as long as you have to be, then you're a razor.










DSC03561


DSC03566


DSC03578


DSC03580


DSCN3990


DSCN3993


DSCN3994










2018-02-06_1









by me, Kerry Burgess: October 6, 2020

The Time Machine (1960)

(from internet transcript)

H.G. Wells: The years rolled by, everything unfamiliar. Except the smile of my never-aging friend.









by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal: 06/22/08 8:30 PM

but I was noticing when I was in the VA that there is some medical equipment they manufacture that monitors body functions.

She said before that she had wanted to be a doctor and I cannot now remember what was the other aspiration she listed after doctor but I began to wonder if that has something to do with my wife, who is also a medical doctor.









Posted by me, Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 9:24 AM Thursday, November 20, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroenterologist

Gastroenterology

Gastroenterology (MeSH heading) is the branch of medicine whereby the digestive system and its disorders are studied. Etymologically, the name is a combination of three Ancient Greek words gastros (stomach), enteron (intestine), and logos (reason).

Physicians practicing in this field of medicine are called gastroenterologists.









by me, Kerry Burgess: October 5, 2020

Today was the first time I've been out there since my genius-documented-by-me excursion of 04/06/2020.

I went out there today with one and only one objective in my mind.

I haven't yet made the slightest attempt to check the day 10/05/2020 for anything compelling to me.

Transact my lunch across the wire with my credit-card

Listen for the banter of the zombies who soon show up near me at the same place, and along the way









by me, Kerry Burgess: October 5, 2020

Apr 7

12j10/

Catchy title.

https://tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g35418-d6980063-i303168126-McEuen_Park-Coeur_d_Alene_Idaho.html

Photo: "The Great Escape Blue Heron" sculpture by Jerold Sheraton at McEuen Park

5d/

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

4X01 - RAZOR

ORIGINAL AIRDATE (SciFi): 24-NOV-2007

Admiral Cain: I say let's make these murdering things understand that as long as this crew and this ship survive that this war that they started will not be over.

Apr 7

12j9/

After that moment of nearly intense deliberation in my mind, I did not stop to capture a digital-image that would have so perfectly well illustrated this note

Just has to be left to the imagination.

No way in hell I'm riding bicycle out there again this week

No car










2020-04-06_6


2020-04-06_11









From 1/17/1939 ( from The Daily Princetonian publication: The Oblique Approach ) To 12/20/1993 ( NASA's Hubble Space Telescope returns the first corrected images ) is 20061 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 20061 days



From 7/16/2004 ( premiere US TV series "Stargate: Atlantis" ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 5925 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/22/1982 ( premiere US film "A Stranger Is Watching" ) is 5925 days



From 7/2/1962 ( the first Walmart store opens ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 21280 days

21280 = 10640 + 10640

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/20/1994 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: in non-aviator related duties boots on the ground in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) is 10640 days



From 12/8/2003 ( premiere US TV miniseries "Battlestar Galactica" ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 6146 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/31/1982 ( Ronald Reagan, 40th President of USA: Letter to President Aristides Pereira of Cape Verde on United States Acceptance of the Gift of the Schooner Ernestina ) is 6146 days



From 12/6/1979 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 14914 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/2/2006 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal ) is 14914 days



From 2/11/1996 ( premiere US TV series episode "Space: Above and Beyond"::"The Angriest Angel" ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 9003 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/27/1990 ( premiere US film "Days of Thunder" ) is 9003 days



From 11/18/1996 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: First Contact" ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 8722 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/19/1989 ( premiere US TV series "Doogie Howser, M.D." ) is 8722 days



From 5/21/1969 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: the Princeton University doctor of medicine degree graduation of my biological brother Dr Thomas Reagan MD and in 1973 the law-doctorate graduate of University of Oxford, England ) To 10/5/2020 ( ) is 18765 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/19/2017 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Walking Dead"::"The Other Side" ) is 18765 days










DSC02758


DSC02764









by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal: 9/2/2006 12:02 PM

Maybe there is a reason I remember wanting to move to Montana back when I was in Charlotte. I was looking at a job with the Forestry Service in Missoula. But I really wanted to move to Bozeman. Bozeman is a well-known town in Star Trek:TNG so maybe I have more of a connection to that town than I remember. Maybe that is where my home that I have forgotten is.

I was thinking of moving to Missoula or Bozeman back when I was working by myself back in 1998. I am thinking most of those details from that year are real. Most of the time was blanked from my memory though because I was undergoing the memory replacement around then. That company, Sediver, was part of the program. I laughed a few minutes ago when I thought again that it is a French company that produced high-voltage insulators for power lines.



by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal: 9/2/2006 1:56 PM

Goddamnit these places creep me out. It is like having to live with zombies. If I listen closely, I’ll probably hear them all mumbling quietly over and over, “brains……brains……brains…..”









https://www.washingtonian.com/2007/05/01/eye-on-the-heavens/

Wasingtonian

Eye on the Heavens

The Hubble Space Telescope has probed deep into the universe, far back in time and space. One man has guided it through its ups and downs—and has the white hair to prove it.

WRITTEN BY KATHY SAWYER PUBLISHED ON MAY 1, 2007

Ed Weiler has fought for Hubble’s survival for nearly 30 years. Now he’s looking to a 2008 shuttle mission that again will extend the telescope’s life. Photograph by Matthew Worden. Astrophysicist Edward Weiler introduces a lot of his stories about the Hubble Space Telescope with the phrase “little did I know . . . .” Then he might point to a pretty picture. Arrayed on his office wall are some of the cosmic portraits that have made the orbiting telescope a symbol of scientific excellence, a calendar icon, a celebrity among schoolkids.

Weiler also has more down-to-earth mementos—clippings and videos from policy battles and humiliations, times when the Hubble was nearly killed in its cradle, denounced as a “techno-turkey,” compared with Mr. Magoo.

At age 58, Weiler has lived through almost 30 years of “little did I know” Hubble moments, many of them emotional stunners of agony or joy. He first got involved with the project as a $12,000-a-year research associate at Princeton in 1976. He proved his mettle as a Big Science manager at NASA thanks to Hubble.

He has served as a Hubble sherpa as he has risen through job titles—including six years, beginning in 1998, as NASA’s chief of space science. In that job, he was responsible for the agency’s space observatories, the planetary exploration program, and the Origins program, an effort to discover the cosmic origins and evolution of life.

As he negotiates the tricky terrain of technopolitics and science, he shows a toughness born of his childhood in inner-city Chicago. Science magazine once called him “NASA’s street fighter.” Along the way, his sandy hair has turned almost white, and he gave up smoking in favor of nicotine gum.

In his current post as director of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Weiler is presiding over another cliffhanger chapter in the Hubble story, the on-off-on-again preparations for a fifth and final visit by shuttle astronauts to rescue the telescope.

These are good times for the Hubble. It has helped revolutionize human understanding of the universe, as documented in almost 6,800 research papers. Its explorations, revealed in tens of thousands of images distinguished by their detail, have ranged from Earth’s nearest neighbors to remote galaxies close to the beginning of time and space. It has probed further into the cosmos than any other instrument. And astronomers around the world still request much more observing time on the telescope than it can deliver.

Its achievements include helping to determine the age of the universe (about 13.8 billion years); confirming the existence and ubiquity of black holes (collapsed objects with masses up to billions of times that of our sun, so compact that not even light can escape their gravity); providing visual evidence that the material to form planets—possible platforms for life—is found around almost all young stars; and facilitating the discovery of a “dark energy” that is counteracting gravity and accelerating the expansion of the universe.

Weiler says of Hubble: “It’s one of the ‘pyramids’ our generation will leave behind, something that will be remembered in 100 years.”

But when he visits classrooms, Weiler notes, he goes beyond extolling Hubble’s successes. He speaks about the human drama behind the achievements, the importance of trying hard things and persevering through spectacular failure.

“You’ve got to understand what it’s like to be on top of Mount Everest to really understand what it means to be at the bottom, in the valley,” Weiler says of his ride with Hubble.

By age 13, Ed Weiler had built his own six-inch, 100-pound reflecting telescope. Before he was 15, he knew he wanted to be an astronomer. “Growing up in inner-city Chicago,” he says, “the only freedom I had was the sky.”

In 1976, with a PhD in astrophysics from Northwestern, Weiler landed an astronomy job at Princeton in the fledgling field of space-based astronomy, turning down a chance to earn almost twice as much as a computer programmer.

He was assigned to work with a research satellite nicknamed Copernicus, which would help sell scientists on the value of space-based research. Princeton’s Lyman Spitzer Jr. led the Copernicus project. As far back as 1946, he had proposed a large “space telescope” to look at the universe from above the layers of Earth’s atmosphere. “Little did I know it then,” Weiler grins, “but my first boss was the father of the Hubble Space Telescope.”

During three years at Princeton, Weiler got to know the New Jersey Turnpike as he spent most of every month at Goddard, the site of the control room for Copernicus. By age 28, Weiler was managing 20 engineers and scientists. He watched as Spitzer struggled to get Hubble approved by Congress.

In 1978, Weiler accepted a job offer from NASA. One year later, he was chief astronomer at agency headquarters, which meant he was the lead Hubble scientist, working with people he regarded as “the kings and queens of astronomy.”

But the project was already troubled. Through the early 1980s, Weiler’s team grappled with technical problems and cost overruns as they fended off congressional efforts to kill the project.

He also helped supervise the creation of the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore to coordinate research demands that would pour in from scientists around the world. This was the first effort to place such a large observatory in orbit to be run by astronomers on the ground and available to researchers on a time-share basis, as ground telescopes are.

During these turbulent times, Weiler met his future wife, a mathematician who was helping design Hubble’s data-archiving system. They would be married 18 years and have two children before their divorce. “Two type A’s. Two protons! I should have known,” Weiler says, throwing his hands in the air.

By 1983, the combination of pork-barrel politics, technical hurdles, and cost surprises led to a shakeup in Hubble’s management. NASA had developed a tendency to oversell and underfund projects, a dysfunction that would be exposed in January 1986 when the space shuttle Challenger blew apart after liftoff, killing seven astronauts.

Despite a trail of setbacks, Hubble’s launch day arrived in April 1990. NASA was churning out gee-whiz facts about the 12½-ton, 43-foot-long telescope named for Edwin P. Hubble, the Missouri-born astronomer who in the early 20th century established that the universe is expanding.

The telescope would provide at least a tenfold improvement in resolution, equal to the change when Galileo first looked through his “eyeglass” almost 400 years earlier. At the Hubble’s heart was the most optically precise mirror ever built. The telescope would see with such resolution that it could distinguish the two headlights on a car 3,000 miles away. To steady the telescope’s aim, engineers had developed a pointing system so precise that if it were a laser mounted on the US Capitol and fired at New York City, it could “hit a dime on the top of the World Trade Center.” And so on.

Astronomers suddenly found themselves in the spotlight. The land around the launch complex at Cape Canaveral was festive with tents and parties. Reporters from around the world lined up to talk to scientists who had never done interviews before. The morning before the launch, Weiler was on NBC’s Today show, standing on the network’s rooftop with a fragile model of Hubble that threatened to fly apart in the breeze as he was quizzed by Bryant Gumbel.

Little did he know that engineers had sent into space the smoothest, most precisely formed mirror ever ground by humans—but ground with the wrong shape, the equivalent of the wrong eyeglass prescription. A mistake in testing had left the concave curve of the main mirror, at its outer rim, too shallow by about one-fiftieth the diameter of a human hair.

After the launch, the team was unable to focus the telescope but for weeks couldn’t figure out why. Finally, in late spring, Weiler joined project leaders including a top optical expert at Goddard in anticipation of “the latest and greatest solution,” he recalls.

They huddled around the TV screen waiting for what had been billed as the first image with good focus. “The image came down, and it was the same old garbage,” says Weiler. He was struck by the look on the focusing engineer’s face: “That look said it all. It was the total abandonment of all hope.”

They had to tell the world. While polling the science team about what capabilities the Hubble had left, Weiler misunderstood Jim Westphal, the lead camera scientist. As a result, Weiler passed on erroneous information at the news conference—that all the camera’s scientific capability was lost. The situation was not that dire, but Weiler’s miscue inspired headlines such as one in the New York Post: pix nixed as hubble sees double.

“That was a day I’ll never forget,” Weiler says. “I still remember the suit I wore. I gave it to Goodwill.”

In hindsight, Weiler came to believe that NASA’s prelaunch hype represented one of the lessons of the Hubble experience: “Don’t assume success before success. Don’t open the Champagne too early.”

After the Hubble flaw was announced, Weiler’s briefings attracted dozens of reporters. There were congressional hearings where Maryland senator Barbara Mikulski pronounced the telescope a “techno-turkey.” And there was the cartoon in which Mr. Magoo was portrayed as the telescope’s inventor. “I had neighbors coming up to me in that period of 1990 to 1993 saying, ‘We’re really, really sorry you have to work on that disaster,’ ” Weiler remembers.

Once again there were moves to kill the project. The space agency was still staggering from the Challenger accident and a host of troubles afflicting its keystone project, the proposed space station. Money was scarce for other worthy projects. Now this. There were those who questioned whether NASA would survive.

Weiler found a silver lining. “The fact that we were a joke was a great service to the team,” Weiler says. The usually competing NASA fiefdoms pulled together: “Now we were on a mission to save not just the telescope but all of space science. It was all on the line.”

And there was a seed of salvation that Weiler had helped plant years earlier. In 1983, more than six years before the discovery of Hubble’s blurry vision, Weiler had sat at his headquarters desk to write a report chiding the telescope project managers, then based at Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama, for sacrificing long-term capabilities in favor of short-term economies.

In particular, he wrote, the team had neglected to set aside sufficient and timely funds for the concept that had helped sell the telescope in the first place—that shuttle astronauts would periodically refurbish it in orbit.

Weiler urged scientists to start building backup instruments and acquire parts that might be needed to solve problems that could occur in orbit. His paper concluded that one of the Hubble’s most important instruments would be its workhorse camera, and if there were money for only one replacement, it should be that.

“I feel uneasy saying this,” he had written, “but no matter how much good physics comes out of the [instruments], the general public will consider the [telescope] a loss if it does not produce early and continuing unique views of the universe”—what he described at one point as “pretty pictures.”

At a meeting about six weeks later, the telescope’s key scientists—the Space Telescope Science Working Group—approved Weiler’s proposal. There was dissent from higher NASA officials who didn’t think there was enough money. But, Weiler says, Princeton astrophysicist John Bahcall, a leading Hubble champion, sold the idea to Congress. And the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California started work on a second camera.

“Little did anybody know that what we were doing, and what John Bahcall did in Congress, would be so damn important,” Weiler says.

In June 1990, scientists figured out that they would be able to correct Hubble’s vision—in essence, give it new eyeglasses—using small relay mirrors built into the backup camera and into a separate apparatus known as CoStar.

In December 1993, during an 11-day mission with a global TV audience watching, astronauts performed a high-wire act featuring five choreographed spacewalks that accomplished the scientists’ wish list and then some. As the crew in space wrapped up its tour de force, a contractor at Goddard brought in some Champagne. Having learned his lesson, Weiler refused to drink any.

Just after midnight on December 20, 1993, the first picture from the refurbished telescope came back. Weiler and others once again huddled around a screen, this time at the institute in Baltimore. “Everybody was scared,” Weiler says. “We were almost 99 percent convinced that we had gotten the prescription right, but until you put on those new glasses, you never know.









Space: Above And Beyond

"The Angriest Angel"

Sunday 11 February 1996

tv series Episode 15 Season 1 DVD video:

US Marine Corps first-lieutenant Paul Wang: Get out of here. I'm trading you. Hey, Colonel, come on. I need a new guy on my team.

US Marine Corps lieutenant colonel T.C. McQueen: Guy?! What do you think, we're back on the blocks smoking and joking? Hear this loud and clear, Marine. I am not your guy. I am not your joe. I am not your damn drinking buddy. And I sure as hell am not a mark in a singles bar. You hear this, C.F.B. I am not here to make friends! When this war ends and you go back to raising money for charity and you're eating dogs at Wrigley - and you go back to Mayberry - I'm still going to be out here - waiting for the next one. That's why I'm here. [ dejectedly ] That's what I'm good for.









Stargate Atlantis - "Rising" - television series premiere episode part 1 and 2 - Friday 16 July 2004 (DVD extended version)

Episode Summary

The discovery of an outpost, left behind by the Ancients in the most unlikely of places, leads a new Stargate team to the distant Pegasus galaxy. Once there, they discover a planet of humans being decimated by a terrible alien race know as the Wraith.

(from internet transcript of incomplete dialog)

Dr. Elizabeth WEIR: We've only found a handful of people who are genetically compatible with the Ancient technology and despite your heroic efforts to interface ours with theirs, we need every one of them to sit in this Chair, including Doctor Beckett.

Dr. Rodney McKAY: What am I supposed to do? He's afraid of that thing.

Dr. Elizabeth WEIR: This Chair controls the most powerful weapons known to humankind. I'm afraid of the thing. But every time someone sits in it we learn something new about the Ancients who built this outpost.










DSC03058_crop-1










battlestar-galactica-2003_02h37m01s









https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/letter-president-aristides-pereira-cape-verde-united-states-acceptance-the-gift-the

The American Presidency Project

RONALD REAGAN

40th President of the United States: 1981 ‐ 1989

Letter to President Aristides Pereira of Cape Verde on United States Acceptance of the Gift of the Schooner Ernestina

August 31, 1982

Dear Mr. President:

The gift of the schooner "Ernestina," restored so carefully by your Government and the ship's many friends, is deeply appreciated. Its presence in New England will be a reminder of the seafaring traditions and special ties that our peoples share.

On behalf of my fellow Americans, to whom you have so thoughtfully given the "Ernestina," let me thank you for an enduring symbol of private endeavor and of effective cooperation between our governments.

As you thoughtfully suggest, let it also be an example for larger cooperation and understanding among the peoples of the world.

Sincerely,

RONALD REAGAN

[His Excellency Aristides Pereira, President of the Republic of Cape Verde, Praia]

Note: The Ernestina, which carried thousands of Cape Verdians to the United States as immigrants in the early part of this century, was purchased and rehabilitated by the Cape Verde Government with help from private U.S. citizens of Cape Verde descent. It was being sailed to Providence, R.I., and New Bedford, Mass., for presentation to the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effie_M._Morrissey

Effie M. Morrissey

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Effie M. Morrissey (now Ernestina-Morrissey) is a schooner skippered by Robert Bartlett that made many scientific expeditions to the Arctic

currently designated by the United States Department of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark

In 1977 the people of Cape Verde agreed to give Ernestina to the people of the United States. The Foreign Minister, speaking on behalf of President Aristides Pereira said:

The Government of Cape Verde offers the Ernestina as a gift to the United States of America as an expression of the high regard of the people of Cape Verde for the people of the United States and we deliver the vessel to the State of Massachusetts as a representative of the people of the United States.

Late 20th century: National Historic Landmark

In August 1982 her [ it's ] hull was completely rebuilt in Cape Verde and she sailed to the United States with a Cape Verdean and American crew.

In August 1988 the schooner made a return trip to Brigus, Newfoundland, home of Capt. Bob Bartlett on the 113th anniversary of his birth. Ernestina was designated by the United States Department of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark in 1990, with restoration being completed in 1994, and in 1996 became a part of the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park. She is owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Built in 1894, the schooner ERNESTINA is the oldest surviving Grand Banks fishing schooner









Stargate Atlantis - "Rising" - tv series premiere 07/16/2004

(from internet transcript)

SHEPPARD: He turns away and shines the light from his P-90 at drawings on the walls.) Someone's been busy, you know?

TEYLA: The drawings in the caves are extensive. Many must date back thousands of years -- or more.

(Sheppard makes his way around the walls, looking at the drawings. He points to one.)

SHEPPARD: Does this represent the destruction of your city?

TEYLA: This drawing far predates that.

SHEPPARD: So, what, someone knew it was going to happen?

TEYLA: I believe it happens again and again. The Wraith allow our kind to grow in numbers, and when that number reaches a certain point they return to cull their human herd. Sometimes a few hundred years will pass before they awaken again. We've visited many, many worlds -- I know of none untouched by the Wraith. The last great holocaust was five generations ago, but still they return, in smaller numbers, to remind us of their power.










2020-10-05_8



https://tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g35418-d6980063-i303168126-McEuen_Park-Coeur_d_Alene_Idaho.html

Photo: "The Great Escape Blue Heron" sculpture by Jerold Sheraton at McEuen Park

https://spokesman.com/blogs/hbo/2014/jul/02/blue-heron-art-lands-mceuen-park/

Wed., July 2, 2014

Blue Heron Art Lands At McEuen Park

City arts liaison Steve Anthony, left, and Arts Commission Chairman Joe Sharnetsky, look on as crews prepare to place The Great Escape Blue Heron









[excerpt begins:]

https://theprince.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/?a=d&d=Princetonian19390117-01.2.19&srpos=4&e=-------en-20--1-byDA-txt-txIN-interstellar------

Daily Princetonian, Volume 63, Number 171, 17 January 1939

Faculty Editorial

This is the second in a series of Faculty Editorials on "How to Get the Most Out of a Princeton Education."

THE OBLIQUE APPROACH

By Hoyt H. Hudson Chairman of the Department of English

"He's all right, he's a good fellow, but of course he doesn't know what it's all about." The Princetonian seems to be trying to make such a remark inapplicable to any of its readers. Though I am glad to say something upon the question set, I am not sure I can tell you what it's all about — certainly not in the thousand words allowed. That is only 20 nightletters, and I have already used up one of them.

Let us assume that we already know a number of oft-repeated maxims. To get the most out of a Princeton education, they say, make contacts. Take some part in extra-curricular activities. Keep physically fit. Take as many cultural courses as possible. Learn somehow to speak and write English. Try - to take some courses with the few really great teachers, whatever their subjects. Now these advices are not to be scorned. Yet knowing these seems not to be enough. Can we cut deeper?

Books . . . Friendship . . . Experience

First I should suggest the principle of the indirect attack, or the oblique approach. By that I mean that if a fellow faces you with the avowed purpose of getting the most out of you, and sets in train his sights to accomplish that end, he is likely to get very little. Getting the most from Princeton must be very much the same as getting the most from a book, a friendship or an experience. Consider the friendship. You don't take a person as your friend because you are scheming to get something out of him. Or if you do, ther you don't know what friendship means and will never get anything worth getting. Rather you discover, apparently by chance, that this person means something to you. There is a give and take between you. You find him. He finds you. You begin to feel that you know him, and you perceive that knowing him invigorates and enriches you.

The typical and staple pleasure on a college campus should be the pleasure of discovery. When you suddenly, or gradually find that a book is speaking to you — speaking your language, answering your deep questions — then you are truly acting the part of a student. The book has found you as much as you have found it.



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 11:44 PM Pacific-time USA Monday 03/14/2022