Sunday, March 13, 2022

Today is Sunday, 03/13/2022, Post #1





"The book has found you as much as you have found it."









"and the method has found him."









[excerpt begins:]

https://theprince.princeton.edu/princetonperiodicals/?a=d&d=Princetonian19390117-01.2.19&srpos=4&e=-------en-20--1-byDA-txt-txIN-interstellar------

Daily Princetonian, Volume 63, Number 171, 17 January 1939

Faculty Editorial

This is the second in a series of Faculty Editorials on "How to Get the Most Out of a Princeton Education."

THE OBLIQUE APPROACH

By Hoyt H. Hudson Chairman of the Department of English

"He's all right, he's a good fellow, but of course he doesn't know what it's all about." The Princetonian seems to be trying to make such a remark inapplicable to any of its readers. Though I am glad to say something upon the question set, I am not sure I can tell you what it's all about — certainly not in the thousand words allowed. That is only 20 nightletters, and I have already used up one of them.

Let us assume that we already know a number of oft-repeated maxims. To get the most out of a Princeton education, they say, make contacts. Take some part in extra-curricular activities. Keep physically fit. Take as many cultural courses as possible. Learn somehow to speak and write English. Try to take some courses with the few really great teachers, whatever their subjects. Now these advices are not to be scorned. Yet knowing these seems not to be enough. Can we cut deeper?

Books . . . Friendship . . . Experience

First I should suggest the principle of the indirect attack, or the oblique approach. By that I mean that if a fellow faces you with the avowed purpose of getting the most out of you, and sets in train his sights to accomplish that end, he is likely to get very little. Getting the most from Princeton must be very much the same as getting the most from a book, a friendship or an experience. Consider the friendship. You don't take a person as your friend because you are scheming to get something out of him. Or if you do, then you don't know what friendship means and will never get anything worth getting. Rather you discover, apparently by chance, that this person means something to you. There is a give and take between you. You find him. He finds you. You begin to feel that you know him, and you perceive that knowing him invigorates and enriches you.

The typical and staple pleasure on a college campus should be the pleasure of discovery. When you suddenly, or gradually find that a book is speaking to you — speaking your language, answering your deep questions — then you are truly acting the part of a student. The book has found you as much as you have found it.










facebook_kerry-burgess_12-30-2017_2









From 1/17/1939 ( from The Daily Princetonian publication: The Oblique Approach ) To 3/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate and possibly - or something - the date of the secret, doctorate-degree credential from Princeton University, I can only theorize, struggling to understand ) is 19051 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/30/2017 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me ) is 19051 days



From 4/7/1961 ( premiere US TV series episode "Harrigan and Son"::"The Man Who Wouldn't Stay Dead" ) To 6/4/2013 ( "Abaddon's Gate" by James Corey, book 3 of "The Expanse" series of novels ) is 19051 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/30/2017 ( ) is 19051 days



From 5/16/2006 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal ) To 12/30/2017 ( ) is 4246 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/18/1977 ( the United States space shuttle Enterprise orbiter vehicle captive-active flight #1 ) is 4246 days



From 9/13/1915 ( premiere US film "The Regeneration" ) To 11/10/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Metamorphosis" ) is 19051 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/30/2017 ( ) is 19051 days









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: December 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Kerry Burgess updated his status.

(THE KILLERS "Spaceman")

But I hear those voices at night sometimes-
They justify my claim,
And the public don't dwell my transmission
Cause it wasn't televised









https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0005960/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Regeneration (1915)

Release Info

USA 13 September 1915









from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Tue, May 16, 2006 5:55:42 PM

Subject: Re: I don't know if I am winning or losing an effort by the Borg to assimilate my mind.

And what memories are real and what memories are manipulated? Did I ever live in a town named Greenville and work repairing cash machines? Did I ever live in a place named Lincoln on the Green? What a clever way to express the concept of "follow the money." And what about Central and Greer? And did I live next to that road named Royal Point before that ST:TNG episode where Troi was talking about dreams being the "royal road"? Is any of this true?









https://www.dictionary.com/browse/oblique

oblique

neither perpendicular nor parallel to a given line or surface; slanting; sloping.

(of a solid) not having the axis perpendicular to the plane of the base.

diverging from a given straight line or course.

not straight or direct, as a course.

Military. at an angle of 45°.

Military. to change direction obliquely.









Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, Book 3, by James Corey, Kindle Edition)

Chapter 52: Holden

And the Nauvoo had made it happen, in a way. Fred could tell the Mormons. Maybe they'd stop suing him now.

"Wow," he said.

"Yeah, well, let's not get too happy," Miller said.



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 01:32 AM Pacific-time USA Sunday 03/13/2022