Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Today is Wednesday, 03/23/2022, Post #5





This is so much better the second time around.

I watched it first time in the weekly installments when it broadcast new a few years ago.

The story has a lot of variations from the book it is based on

One of the characters in the tv-series that is especially different is the Anthony Carter character

I like the variation a lot more in the tv-series and he seems to be a much more sympathetic character

Instead of the gutter-garbage guy from the book

Horace Guilder is really annoying in the tv-series. But I can guess where that is supposed to go if they went on to a season 2, with him becoming a vampire-companion and losing his eyeglasses and that moustache.

I can't remember enough detail about the Martinez character from the book in order to compare with the character in the tv-series. Seems to me he was more prominent of a figure in the book than his minor role in the tv-series. Cannot recall if his minor role in the tv-series - which seems very clever to me - is the same as in the book.

Brad Wolgast was probably what killed that tv-series, I assert, with that poor choice of actor for that role.

They could probably still bring back the tv-series, after all these years. I haven't started watching that final episode yet just now, episode 10, but from what I remember, the ending was well-suited for a second season.

That adorable little kid really steals the show with her portrayal of Amy Bellafonte. Too bad there is not another tv-series of the type I like and that features her. She really did a great job in that role.

I don't know what it is about this story.

I've read all three books.

The three books, listed with Justin Cronin as the author, are actually fairly mediocre.

And really, is just a kids story.

But when I think about it, I still cannot accurately explain an underlying feeling about it for me.

I like that sort of story, but there is a lot about it I don't like.

I don't care for stories about vampires. I don't care about zombies.

An End of the World story such as this is very dystopian, for people such as me who find it a momentary escape from this reality

In that sort of environment, if something similar were to ever happen, then there is no real escape.

For people such as me, who escape reality in stories by placing myself in such conditions

We are never the victims of the calamity itself. But there are secondary problems. Since it doesn't happen all in one day, the other survivors are just going to be shooting guns at anything that moves

In Stephen King's The Stand, the world becomes one big graveyard and the rotting corpses will be a continual danger for a long time

Being an old man now, life would be just more dangerous all the time as one of the survivors.

But yet, through it all, there is just something captivating about "The Passage" that I cannot explain

A feeling that I cannot explain and that the closest sense I have is something similar to hope.

WHY I would find "hope" there is baffling

Something about their escape is what gets to me everytime I think about this.

The vampire creatures are probably also probably what killed that tv-series and doomed it to only the first season. They're really not that scary. Their makeup isn't really that artistic. The guy portraying Tim Fanning is especially not very scary. He's a good actor and he has his moments, though, at least one time I found myself admiring the guy as he portrayed the normal-looking Dr. Tim Fanning.

I just don't know what it is about that moment they escape

I find myself thinking I'm going to go back and read the first book again after I finish "Cibola Burn" in the next few weeks, with my compulsion to proceed slowly on it, thinking about how the code-pattern of my original work, reveals details that seem to echo what I read in the text on any given day, which is a factor that seems to compell my subconscious mind to send signalling to my conscious brain.

I wrote a while back about how the anticipation of Saturday is almost always better than when Saturday actually arrives (thinking back to when that actually mattered to me, and back when a weekend with a local triathlon did not happen very often)

I still feel certain there will be The Day When It All Finally Makes Sense

If you don't understand the context here then you're really not paying attention.









https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/569055/s01-e10-last-lesson?autoplay=true

tubi

The Passage

S01:E10 - Last Lesson (2019)









The Passage (2019) s01e09

Stay in the Light

(from internet transcript)

Amy Bellafonte: In the end, it was quick. The moment the cell doors opened, one world died and another was born.



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 7:43 PM Pacific-time USA Wednesday 03/23/2022