Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The person in the mirror

I’m not sure what all this is about though. I assume that Watergate was somehow connected to me but I’m not sure what it was all about. Probably the same thing happening to me these past few years. The number of days from 3/3/59 to 7/24/74 was 5623 days. Divided by 2 equals 2811.5. The number of days from 3/3/59 to 11/11/66 was 2811. That means the launch of Gemini 12 was at the mid-point of 3/3/59 and 7/24/74. I have been thinking that Gemini 12 was my first launch into space at the age of 7.69 years.

Supreme Court

The issue of access to the tapes went all the way to the Supreme Court. On July 24, 1974, in United States v. Nixon, the Court (which did not include the recused Justice Rehnquist) ruled unanimously that claims of executive privilege over the tapes were void, and they further ordered him to surrender them to Jaworski. On July 30, he complied with the order and released the subpoenaed tapes.


I have been thinking for a while that I was on the USS Roberts as well when it was damaged in the Persian Gulf. I recall dreaming about that one night 4 or 5 years ago. I had thoughts and the dream that I was on the Roberts when it hit an anti-ship mine and if I am interpreting my symbolic “memories” correctly, I towed away the remaining mines that were floating nearby because another hit probably would have sunk the ship. I have “memories” of being in a boat and being thrown against the bulkhead when I hit a large, round metallic object floating in the water. Also in that “memory” I was towing that large round, metallic object with my boat. But I have thoughts that in reality, I was swimming in the Persian Gulf with a rope tied to me and the mines and I towed them away like that to be detonated at a safe distance with rifle fire. I have also had thoughts that a shark took a couple of bites on my ankle when I was swimming to tow away the mines. After I finished with that exercise, I transferred over to the USS Wainwright. I think in reality I was at the time the Commanding Officer of a SEAL Platoon and I reportedly directly to the Commanding Officer of the Wainwright during the military engagement with the forces opposing us. In my symbolic “memory,” I was the phone-talker for the CO of Wainwright during Special Sea and Anchor Detail. I think I was on the USS Roberts because my girlfriends last name was Roberts.

There was that one dream about three years ago that was terrifying. I woke up and it seemed like forever that I had been standing out of bed and I just couldn’t shake that feeling of pure terror. There was something about the alarm clock. Something about the red numbers. Time had stopped and that was terrifying to me. And when I first jumped out of bed, it was as though there was a red glow on the open door to my bedroom as though there was a fire in the living room. I would later write in my journal that the image of that red glow reminded me of the missile strike on the USS Stark but that made no sense to me at the time.

This incident with the USS Roberts is the basis for that “April 16” theory I have written about. The Roberts was struck by anti-ship mines on April 14, 1988, and then U.S. forces retaliated against the opposing force on April 18, 1988. The day April 16 was in the middle of those two events.


I believe I was in the Persian Gulf at the time because it was my first deployment after completing my escape less than a year earlier from being a POW in Africa. I returned home back in 1987 to find that my wife had remarried just a few days before they found out I was still alive. I had been shot down on 2/14/86, they learned I was alive but POW, I escaped on 4/14/86 and went into the desert and they didn’t hear from me again until about 5/13/87 and they had a funeral for me on 11/25/86. I mistakenly wrote that funeral date as 11/26/86 the other day. I believe I reported to the U.S. embassy on 5/13/87 and later found out that my now ex-wife had remarried on 5/9/87. I was kind beat up after all those months living off the land in Africa and eating wild animals I caught and snakes and fending off wild animals. There is a lot more to it all and I have a hard time trying to express my thoughts about that time, especially because I can’t actually remember any of it in the conventional sense. Life was much improved after a few months back home though, after my leg was healed and I started dating Julia Roberts. Or so my theory goes. But after that attack on the USS Roberts…..I don’t know how to finish that sentence.


I think before the First Gulf War started, I was the commanding officer of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. I had flown with the Blue Angels a few years earlier, probably when I was a Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I assume I was still going into space with the space shuttle during all that time although I can’t figure out which ones I flew on. There was also that incident with the Pegasus rocket that I think exploded and caused the aircraft I was piloting to crash and I was the only survivor of the crash after it fell over 40,000 feet from the sky. I don’t know if any of that is true and I am assuming it is true because I found something on the internet. I found a reference to a Pegasus launch from an L-1011 aircraft that was nicknamed “Stargazer” and all the page reported was an ominous “failure on launch.”


I think I was also assigned to several of the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers over the years. The lead ship was assigned hull number 51 - I believe - because I had first flown a jet on 5/1/67. I have been thinking that I was eventually assigned Commanding Officer of the USS Cole DDG-67 when it was commissioned into active service with the U.S. Navy fleet, although I don’t actually remember any of that.