Saturday, October 23, 2010

I'm still here.




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_House

Clarence House

Clarence House is a royal home in London, situated in Pall Mall. It is attached to St. James's Palace and shares the palace's garden. For nearly 50 years from 1953 to 2002 it was home to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, but is now the official residence of The Prince of Wales, his second wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, and his sons by his marriage to Diana, Princess of Wales, William and Harry of Wales. It is open to visitors for approximately two months each summer, but tickets must be booked in advance.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_%28name%29

Thomas (name)

Thomas is a common given name for males. The meaning of the name is "twin"










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Home

I've written several times of this experience in terms of that Star Trek:TNG episode where Capt. Picard is assimilated by the Borg. While I do not consider myself a "Trekkie", I like the Star Trek series because I am a fan in general of science fiction, and because I like any good story that captures my imagination. There was a follow-on episode to those episodes of where Picard is captured and it was titled "Family." While I typically like the episodes with more action, I always get a kick out this episode because Picard's brother reminded me so much of my sister, in terms of obvious sibling rivalry. I also found myself envying Picard's character for being able to go back to a home like that, where he has roots. I was watching a movie a few months ago based on John McCain's POW experiences and I was thinking of how a lot of it seemed similar. I was most interested in what it was like for him to come back home after his 6 years in captivity but the movie seemed kind of light there. I also found myself envying McCain for his family, especially not only being third-generation Navy but a family of notable service to the Navy.

The original air date of this episode was October 1990, and my formal discharge from the Navy was May 1990. I'm not sure when I actually watched this episode though; probably around the 1994 time-frame. It reminds me of a pivotal point back in 1990. I was leaving the Navy and I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do. I had spent the last 6 months overseas so there had been no way to even do any interviews until I was actually out of the service. As luck would have it, a buddy of mine, who I had worked with on the USS Wainwright, recommended me to a company he was interviewing with and I got that job. I got out of the Navy on a Friday and I was working there that next Monday. Coincidentally, the same thing had happened six years earlier where I graduated high school on Friday and was in Navy boot camp the next Monday.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 14 September 2005 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)


Peachy Carnehan: Home to what? A porters uniform outside a restaurant and six penny tips from belching civilians for closing cab doors on their blowzy women?

Daniel Dravot: Not for us thank you. Not after watching afghans come howling down out of the hills and taking battlefield command when all the officers copped it.










2007 film "28 Weeks Later" DVD movie:

01:05:06


United States military jet pilot: This is Red Fox One pouring whiskey.