Friday, January 07, 2022

Midway (2019)





I've been aware for a while of the newest version of "Midway" but I've never tried to watch it before. Today, I noticed it's on IMDb TV with Amazon Prime with ad's.

I've lost interest in those types of movies, not that I really ever had an aviation- or aviator-specific interest. Now, I'm most interested in specific, very specific types of sci-fi stories. That I cannot find enough of.

The previews from Midway (2019) I've seen in the past couple years didn't make me too enthusiastic to watch it. Mainly, I just wanted to see it because of past work I've associated with the 1976 version.

I've got it paused after the first at-sea scene and I have to say, I did like that part.

I'm sitting here at this same desk and I can almost feel the wind in my (lost) hair. The fakery of the aviation scenes was quite absorbing to me.





Midway (2019)

(from internet transcript)

Prepare to brace!

Why aren't you using the flaps, sir?

Because someday we might have to land with our flaps shot away.

So we might as well practice now.

This isn't how Ensign Hunt used to fly.

Which is why Ensign Hunt is now counting seagulls in San Diego and you're here with me.

Looks like we got hit in our fuel tank, too.

Please don't, sir.

This might save your life one day, Murray.

Engine's about to die.

(ENGINE TURNS OFF)

MAN ON SPEAKERS: Stand by to recover aircraft.

McCLUSKY: What the hell is Best doing?

He's out of the groove.

It looks like his engine cut out.

Is it a stunt, or is he in trouble?

I don't know.

But he's going to hit the first wire like always.

Not with that angle.

Why are we sideways?

DICK: To shave speed so we don't put a hole in the deck.

Better not crash that damn plane.

DICK: Hey, hang in there, kid.

We're almost home.

Brace!

Are you trying to get court marshalled?

I had electrical issue.

Could have happened to anyone.

Hey!

Good job.

Well, it's not me you have to convince.

McClusky's about ready to have your ass.

Then I'll take it upstairs to the old man. He knows what's coming. That's why we've been flying double scouting missions this whole trip.





From 2/19/1997 ( as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-82 pilot astronaut and my 4th official United States of America National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall I begin repairing the US Hubble Telescope while in space and orbit of the planet Earth - the Hubble Space Telescope placed back into its own orbit of the planet Earth ) To 11/8/2019 ( ) is 8297 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 7/21/1988 ( as Kerry Burgess my official enlisted United States Navy documents includes: Small Arms Operator, USS Wainwright CG-28, United States Navy, primary-duty: CF-division, Missile Plot - guided-missiles Fire Control Computer Complex (UNIVAC digital-computers Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance), while enlisted paygrade E-5, designated Petty Officer Second Class Fire Controlman (FC2) ) is 8297 days



From 6/11/1969 ( premiere US film "True Grit" ) To 11/8/2019 ( ) is 18412 days

18412 = 9206 + 9206

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) is 9206 days



From 3/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate and possibly the date of the secret, doctorate-degree credential from Princeton University, I can only theorize, struggling to understand ) To 11/8/2019 ( ) is 10464 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/27/1994 ( the US NASA Stargazer Pegasus rocket failure ) is 10464 days



From 5/22/1956 ( premiere US film "The Man Who Knew Too Much" ) To 11/8/2019 ( ) is 23180 days

23180 = 11590 + 11590

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 7/27/1997 ( premiere US TV series "Stargate SG-1"::series premiere episode "Children of the Gods" ) is 11590 days



From 9/7/1974 ( premiere US TV series "Valley of the Dinosaurs" ) To 11/8/2019 ( ) is 16498 days

16498 = 8249 + 8249

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/3/1988 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, while enlisted paygrade E-5, designated Petty Officer Second Class Fire Controlman (FC2), with my personal participation and commendation my official enlisted United States Navy documents includes: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal 88Feb13 88Jun03, CF-division, Missile Plot - guided-missiles Fire Control Computer Complex (UNIVAC Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance), USS Wainwright CG-28, United States Navy, Operation Earnest Will, Middle East Force, including Operation Praying Mantis ) is 8249 days



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6924650/releaseinfo

IMDb

Midway (2019)

Release Info

USA 8 November 2019





posted by me, Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M 7:56 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Saturday 13 June 2015 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2015/06/safety-bored.html

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 6:33 PM

I have been thinking a lot about that scene recently in "Battlestar Galactica." I imagine or remember that I did something similar as I was about to land on an aircraft carrier. It was a highly crazy maneuver but I had a reason. I am thinking that I had just shot down two Libyan fighters and I did it for that reason. I wasn't showing off but I had a suspicion that at least one person on the carrier was reporting my movements and the Libyans, possibly even Soviet fighters, were sent up specifically to shoot me down. I got both of them though and I wanted to do something to cause some chatter. That was one reason. Another is that I was hoping to de-motivate them from attacking me again by showing them just how capable a pilot I was. Everything I read suggests that landing on an aircraft carrier is stressful enough on a good day. So I wanted to do something stunning that would show I was good enough to make such a maneuver even after the intense stress of that combat engagement where they sent up their best to get me. My thoughts are that just as I about to land on the carrier, I pulled what I think is called a barrel-roll. That's not the same as Claire describes as the over-turn performed by Raz over Osirak. Rather, it is similar to that scene recently when "Starbuck" rolled over the top of "Apollo's" ship. I did that and still made a perfect 3-wire landing on the deck. The Captain flipped out over that and my thoughts are conflicted over whether I explained why I did it. I might not have told him because I trusted no one. They were going to pull my wings but somehow I told President Reagan about it, or I didn't have to tell him anything and he had it figured out too and he did his part to keep me flying. So that one objective was to de-motivate them with that stunt. But another objective was to generate chatter that we could use to track down the people reporting my movements to the enemy.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 6:53 PM

There are people now though that I do trust.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 7:09 PM
I have had a lot of thoughts about something I might have been part of in Vietnam. A lot of thoughts I can't articulate. Something about refugees. Thoughts about flying air cover for refugees that were being transported out. I might have flown out some of those refugees too.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 7:19 PM

chatter chatter chatter chatter

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 7:24 PM

blah blah blah blah

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/14/07 7:30 PM

The CAG probably called me a maniac for pulling that stunt on approach to the carrier.





by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 05/14/07 9:12 AM

but I think what this all represents is me flying into Iraq, running out of fuel because I engaged enemy fighters, and then having to land and find fuel. I also found myself reading that book by Claire and having a hard time to believe we didn't get swarmed by enemy fighters.





http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Flying+the+first+mission+of+dessert+storm.-a0286971012

THE FREE LIBRARY

The Free Library > Science and Technology > Military and naval science > Air Power History > March 22, 2012

The combination of the Pave Lows and Apaches had worked as hoped. All of the planning, calculating, and training had paid off. As Capt. Martin was leading his formation back to the south, he could see in the clear night air above the massive formations of allied aircraft heading for the radar gap. He remembered:

You could look off to the south and there were blinkers lined up. You could see a long way on goggles. And it's also desert, so it's clear. There were anti-collision lights lined up; it looked like an LA freeway.... And they were all chasing these big blinkers ... [the]tankers. Then all of a sudden, there was a point where there were no more lights. So they would get gas, drop off, turn lights off, and head north. (11)

One F-15E fighter pilot who was in that massive gaggle of firepower wrote a thank you letter to the men of Task Force Normandy which said, "During our [flight intelligence] brief, we noticed our route of flight took us right over an active [radar] site.... We were told not to worry about it! We saw the explosions and your helicopters in our FLIR as we flew over you.





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065126/releaseinfo

IMDb

True Grit (1969)

Release Info

USA 11 June 1969

Full Cast & Crew

John Wayne ... Rooster Cogburn





https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6924650/quotes?ref_=ttrel_ql_trv_4

IMDb

Midway (2019)

Quotes

Wade McClusky: Men like Dick Best are the reason we're going to win this war.





album: "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" (2007)

MODEST MOUSE

"Dashboard"

Well, it would've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Oh, the dashboard melted, but we still have the radio.

Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.

Oh, it could've been, should've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, the windshield was broken but I love the fresh air you know.
(The dashboard melted but we still have the radio)

Oh, it would've been, could've been worse than you would ever know, oh!
(The dashboard melted but we still have the radio)
Oh, we talked about nothing which was more than I wanted you to know-oh-oh-oh-oh.
Now here we go!

Oh! It would've been, could've been worse than it had even gone
Well, the car was on blocks, but I was already where I want.
(It was impossible, we ran it good, we ran it good)

Why should we ever even ever really even get to know?
(It was impossible, we ran it good, we ran it good)
Oh if the world don't like us it'll shake us just like we were a co-oh-oh-oh-old.
Now here we go!

Well we scheme and we scheme but we always blow it
We've yet to crash, but we still might as well tow it
Standing at a light switch to each east and west horizon,
Every dawn when you're surprising,
and in the evening one's consoling
Saying "See it wasn't quite as bad as"
Well, it would've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.

I was patiently erasing and recording the wrong episodes
After you had proved my point wrong,
It wasn't like I'd let it go, oh-oh-oh. Oh-oh-oh.
I just wanted to catch the last laugh of this show.

Yeah, it would've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Oh, the dashboard melted, but we still have the radio.
(The dashboard melted, but we ran it good, we ran it good)

Hard-wired to conceive, so much we'd have to stow it
Even needs have needs, tiny giants made of tinier giants.
Don't wear eyelids so I don't miss the last laugh of this show.
(The dashboard melted but we still have the radio)

Well, we could've been, should've been worse than you would ever know.
(The dashboard melted but we still have the radio)
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go-oh-oh-oh-oh.
Now here we go!

Well we scheme and we scheme but we always blow it
We've yet to crash, but we still might as well tow it
Standing at a light switch to each east and west horizon,
Every dawn when you're surprising,
and in the evening one's consoling
Saying "See it wasn't quite as bad as"

Oh it would've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.





by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 9/26/2006 3:06 PM

As I was trying to go to sleep last night, I had a thought that I have a doctorate in computer science from Princeton.

and I had thoughts that I studied music as well at Princeton.





by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 9/12/2006 3:28 PM

I like these photos of the F-14s the most because of the rough weather conditions. Most of the photos are during sunny, calm weather. I must have enjoyed the challenge of carrier aviation during rough weather.





by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 11/12/08 7:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobraking

Aerobraking

Aerobraking is a spaceflight maneuver that reduces the high point of an elliptical orbit (apoapsis) by flying the vehicle through the atmosphere at the low point of the orbit (periapsis), using drag to slow the spacecraft. Aerobraking saves fuel, compared to the direct use of a rocket engine, when the spacecraft requires a low orbit after arriving at a body with an atmosphere.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn

Saturn

Saturn is the sixth planet from the Sun and the second largest planet in the Solar System, after Jupiter.

Escape velocity 35.5 km/s



http://www.cswap.com/1980/Mad_Max/cap/en/25fps/a/00_08

Mad Max

:08:32 Hey, Max?

:08:34 Can you hear me, Max?

:08:36 Go ahead.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_planning

Flight planning

Flight planning is the process of producing a flight plan to describe a proposed aircraft flight. It involves two safety-critical aspects: fuel calculation, to ensure that the aircraft can safely reach the destination, and compliance with air traffic control requirements, to minimise the risk of mid-air collision. In addition, planners normally wish to minimise flight cost by appropriate choice of route, height, and speed, and by loading the minimum necessary fuel on board.

Flight planning requires accurate weather forecasts so that fuel consumption calculations can account for the fuel consumption effects of head or tail winds and air temperature. Safety regulations require aircraft to carry fuel beyond the minimum needed to fly from origin to destination, allowing for unforeseen circumstances or for diversion to another airport if the planned destination becomes unavailable. Furthermore, under the supervision of air traffic control, aircraft flying in controlled airspace must follow predetermined routes known as airways, even if such routes are not as economical as a more direct flight. Within these airways, aircraft must maintain flight levels, specified altitudes usually separated vertically by 1000 or 2000 feet (305 or 610 m), depending on the route being flown and the direction of travel. When aircraft with only two engines are flying across oceans, they have to satisfy extra safety rules to ensure that such aircraft can reach some emergency airport if one engine fails





by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 10/1/2006 6:48 PM

I’m guessing I didn’t have anymore Sea Service time, which reflects, as I recall, the time a Sailor is assigned to a ship of the fleet, because I was assigned to a SEAL team from the time I returned in 1987 to 1990. I guess further my Sea Service, although interspersed with temporary duty assignments such as shuttle missions, resumed when I was assigned to the Arleigh Burke in 1991. My DD-214 doesn’t reflect that because, first of all, it is about Kerry Burgess, but also because it only reflects the period ending 5/14/90. I may have still flown as a fighter and bomber pilot after 1987, but I don’t think that was ever my primary role again after returning. I am not sure what to think about the thoughts I have had about flying the Apache gunship. Maybe that is something else I did occasionally.





https://twitter.com/judah47/status/1479133948601159687

Twitter

Judah Cohen

@judah47

Love snow & skiing. Always trying to push the boundaries what we can forecast about the weather on seasonal to sub-seasonal time-scales. My personal account.

We're all #snow sweatered up here in the Cohen household in anticipation of our first significant #Snowfall of the season here in #Boston. And you can see the next generation of Cohens are eager to carry on the legacy. My son is trying his hand at evoking the power of the sweater

8:53 AM Jan 6, 2022








DSC05942 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC05943 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC05976 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04438 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04449 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04451 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04453 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04461 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC04462 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess


DSC06013 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 01:34 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 01/07/2022