Tuesday, January 18, 2022

The Last Man on Earth



I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

Chapter 7

There it was. He jiggled one of the pink, leathery cloves in his right palm. For seven months now he'd strung them together into aromatic necklaces and hung them outside his house without the remotest idea of why they chased the vampires away. It was time he learned why.





I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

Chapter 7

The cross. He held one in his hand, gold and shiny in the morning sun. This, too, drove the vampires away.

Why? Was there a logical answer, something he could accept without slipping on banana skins of mysticism?

There was only one way to find out.





I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

Chapter 7

All right, what now? The past revealed nothing to help him; only talk of insect carriers and virus, and they weren't the causes. He was sure of it.

The past had brought something else, though; pain at remembering. Every recalled word had been like a knife blades twisting in him. Old wounds had been reopened with every thought of her. He'd finally had to stop, eyes closed, fists clenched, trying desperately to accept the present on its own terms and not yearn with his very flesh for the past.





I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

Chapter 7

At last, mercifully, night came. He locked the garage door, went back to the house, and locked the front door, putting the heavy bar across it. Then he made a drink and sat down on the couch across from the woman.

From the ceiling, right before her face, hung the cross.

At six-thirty her eyes opened. Suddenly, like the eyes of a sleeper who has a definite job to do upon awakening; who does not move into consciousness with a vague entry, but with a single, clearcut motion, knowing just what has to be done.

Then she saw the cross and she jerked her eyes from it with a sudden rattling gasp and her body twisted in the chair.

"Why are you afraid of it?" he asked, startled at the sound of his own voice after so long.

Her eyes, suddenly on him, made him shudder. The way they glowed, the way her tongue licked across her red lips as if it were a separate life in her mouth. The way she flexed her body as if trying to move it closer to him. A guttural rumbling filled her throat like the sound of a dog defending its bone.

"The cross," he said nervously. "Why are you afraid of it?"

She strained against her bonds, her hands raking across the sides of the chair. No words from her, only a harsh, gasping succession of breaths. Her body writhed on the chair, her eyes burned into him.

"The cross!" he snapped angrily.

He was on his feet, the glass falling and splashing across the rug. He grabbed the string with tense fingers and swung the cross before her eyes. She flung her head away with a frightened snarl and recoiled into the chair.

"Look at it!" he yelled at her.





From 12/20/1994 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: in non-aviator related duties boots on the ground in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 2098 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/1/1971 ( premiere US film "The Omega Man" ) is 2098 days



From 10/25/1994 ( Susan Smith kills her two children and dumps them in her car in the John D. Long Lake near Union South Carolina ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 2154 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/26/1971 ( Susan Smith ) is 2154 days



From 10/3/1993 ( the Battle of Mogadishu Somalia begins ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 2541 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/17/1972 ( Britain's Queen Elizabeth II visits Yugoslavia ) is 2541 days



From 9/2/1996 ( premiere US TV series "Adventures from the Book of Virtues" ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 1476 days

1476 = 738 + 738

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 11/10/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Metamorphosis" ) is 738 days



From 3/2/1956 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Man Called X"::"Afghanistan" ) To 1/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) is 12738 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 12738 days



From 3/7/1973 ( premiere US TV series pilot "The Six Million Dollar Man"::"The Moon and the Desert" ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 10056 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 5/15/1993 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation"::"Rightful Heir" ) is 10056 days



From 12/25/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: in non-aviator related duties boots on the ground as United States Marine Corps chief warrant officer Kerry Wayne Burgess I was prisoner of war in Croatia ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 3189 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 7/27/1974 ( from The American Presidency Project on the global-internetwork: U.S. Congress, Articles of Impeachment Adopted by the House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary ) is 3189 days



From 8/13/1960 ( from New York Times newspaper: U.S. Lawyers Give Powers a Defense; Send Outline on Four Points to U-2 Pilot's Counsel Chosen by Soviet ) To 6/29/1995 ( the Mir space station docking of the United States space shuttle Atlantis orbiter vehicle mission STS-71 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-71 pilot astronaut and my 3rd official United States of America National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) is 12738 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 12738 days



From 4/17/1953 ( Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of USA: Executive Order 10446 - Specification of Laws From Which the Escapee Program Administered by the Department of State Shall Be Exempt ) To 9/17/2000 ( ) is 17320 days

17320 = 8660 + 8660

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 7/19/1989 ( the United Airlines Flight 232 crash in Sioux City Iowa and from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: the end of Kerry Burgess - *me* - the natural human being cloned from another human being {Thomas Reagan} ) is 8660 days



https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/remarks-the-groundbreaking-ceremony-for-the-national-constitution-center-philadelphia

The American Presidency Project

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

42nd President of the United States: 1993 ‐ 2001

Remarks at the Groundbreaking Ceremony for the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia

September 17, 2000

Thank you very much. The final sentence of the preamble: "We do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States." Today we come to ordain and establish this Constitution Center





https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708767/

IMDb

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Rightful Heir

Episode aired May 15, 1993

S6 E23





"Rightful Heir" [Star Trek: The Next Generation ]

(from internet transcript)

Starfleet Captain Jean-Luc PICARD: Mister Worf, your personal affairs are strictly your own concern until they interfere with the operation of this ship. You have now crossed that line. As your Captain, I want to know exactly what is going on.

WORF: It is difficult to explain.

PICARD: Try.

WORF: Ever since I returned from the Carraya system I have felt empty.

PICARD: Does this have something to do with the Klingons you rescued from Carraya Four?

WORF: They were young. They knew nothing of their heritage. So while I was there, I tried to teach them. Teach them about their people, their culture. I told them our ancient stories, instructed them in our customs, explained our beliefs. And then I told them about Kahless. How he united our people long ago. How he gave us strength and honour, and how he promised to return one day and lead us again.

PICARD: Is that what you're doing here? Trying to recapture those feelings?

WORF: Yes. I was trying to summon a vision of Kahless.

PICARD: It's a pity you didn't try using the holodeck instead of setting fire to your quarters.

WORF: Using the holodeck would not have been appropriate. Everything had to be real if Kahless were to appear. But all this was is nothing. He did not come to me. I gave Toq and the others a belief in Sto-Vo-Kor, the life which lies beyond this life where Kahless awaits us. When I saw the power of their beliefs I began to question the strength of my own. And I found it wanting.

PICARD: Have you lost your faith in Sto-Vo-Kor?

WORF: To lose something, one must first possess it. I am not sure I ever had a true belief. But I should not have allowed it to interfere with my duties. My behaviour has been

PICARD: Inexcusable. And understandable. It may be that what you are looking for cannot be found here on the Enterprise. Perhaps you need to immerse yourself in Klingon beliefs in order to discover whether they can hold any truths for you. Is there something you can do, is there somewhere you could go to explore your faith more fully?

WORF: Boreth. The Followers of Kahless await his return there. To Klingons, there is no more sacred place.

PICARD: Boreth is only twelve days from here by shuttle. As of this moment, Mister Worf, you are on leave.

WORF: Thank you, sir.

PICARD: But when you set foot on this ship again, I expect you to perform your duties like a Starfleet officer.

WORF: Yes, sir.

PICARD: And, Mister Worf? I hope you find what you're looking for.





Posted by me, Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 11:10 AM Saturday, May 21, 2011

I can still recall sitting out there in the parking lot and as people sometimes drove up to try to use the cash machine and I was sitting there in my car waiting for the bank employees to show up and I can recall hearing a woman in the passengers seat of the car of a bank customer leaving after trying to use the cash machine and she said "He's just sitting there." as they drove past me and out of the parking lot.

That bank branch was on a street named Wade Hampton and that is close to Greenville South Carolina. I looked it up and that street, as well as some other places, is named for Wade Hampton III, who was a Confederate general during the American Civil War. He was also a governor of South Carolina and a United States Senator.

That Wikipedia article goes on to mention his boyhood home was named Millwood and was in Columbia South Carolina but was burned during the war and probably by General Sherman. The ruins were put on the list of historic places in the United States and as best I can tell is that it is located very near the main entrance to the Fort Jackson military base in Columbia South Carolina.

One reason I thought more about all that is because I remember Millwood Lake that is near Ashdown Arkansas. We never did go there very often when I lived near Ashdown and I don't think I even went swimming in that lake until one time I was back there on leave from the United States Navy. My favorite memories of swimming in Arkansas lakes were Lake De Queen and Greeson Lake, with the latter being my favorite but that always seemed to be a long drive.

So anyway, I have found no reference to precisely where Susan Smith was reported to have been carjacked but studying Google Street maps, the best I can tell is the only street light on Highway 49 in Monarch Mill South Carolina is the one next to the Monarch Mill building. The map indicates that is the intersection of Lockhart Avenue-Highway 49 and Monarch Avenue.





Posted by me, H.V.O.M at 11:40 PM Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mustang

Earlier today during the afternoon I was thinking again that I used to own a 1990 Ford Mustang. The 1990 Mazda RX-7 was part of the double identity for me because every secret agent of the United States of America federal government needs a plausible civilian identity. What I was thinking of specifically this afternoon, and which I started thinking specifically starting this afternoon, was that the brand-new 1990 Ford Mustang I used to own, and perhaps still own, was a gift to me in 1990 from my brother.





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067525/quotes

IMDb

The Omega Man (1971)

Quotes

[first lines]

[the last man on earth wrecks his car]

Robert Neville: There's never a cop around when you need one.





from my online journal as me, Kerry Burgess

Oct 20, 2017 4:56pm

I can still remember so clearly that time I imagined myself driving to and then sitting there watching that stoplight.

There is just something that gnaws at my mind so much about that.

I want to so badly remember that day.

Why I would want to remember, I don't know.

Sitting here now I can only guess there was some other part of my life at that time I was happy about.

And they sort of conflict seriously and screw up my mind today.





from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 06/18/09 11:11 AM

As I noted earlier, that same murderer Susan Smith's age on 4/12/1981 has the 7/4/1976 date I successfully diverted Comet Lucifer in the outer solar system at the midpoint of her 9/26/1971 birthdate and 4/12/1981.





"Rightful Heir" [Star Trek: The Next Generation ]

(from internet transcript)

(on Boreth, in a cave, Worf and a bunch of Klingons are staring into a fire, chanting)

DIVOK: Kahless! I see Kahless! He is standing before me with a sword. He wants something. Me. He wants me! He wants me to go with him!

KOROTH: It is a powerful vision you have had, Divok. Kahless wants you to join him in Sto-Vo-Kor. You are only nineteen and yet your place among the honoured dead is already secure. Take him back to his chamber. Let him sleep.

[Worf's chamber]

KOROTH: You're leaving us?

WORF: It has been ten days, Koroth. I have had no visions. I have received no insight. There is nothing here for me.

KOROTH: What is the Story of the Promise, Worf?

WORF: When Kahless had united our people and gave them the laws of honour, he saw that his work was done. So one night he gathered his belongings and departed for the edge of the city to say goodbye.

KOROTH: The people wept. They did not want him to go.

WORF: Then Kahless said, 'You are Klingons. You need no one but yourselves. I will go now to Sto-Vo-Kor. But I promise one day I will return.' Then Kahless pointed to a star in the sky and said, 'Look for me there, on that point of light.'

KOROTH: So here we are, on a world circling that distant point of light. It has been fifteen centuries since he made that promise, and still we wait. What are ten days in the life of one Klingon compared to that? Is the son of Mogh really so easily discouraged? You came to us seeking answers but this is a place of questions. Open your heart to Kahless. Ask him your questions. Let him speak to you with your mind unclouded by doubt or hesitation. Only then can you find what you are looking for. If you cannot do that, then perhaps you should return to your starship.

[Lava cave]

(Divok is pouring something on the fire as Worf meditates)

WORF: Torva luk do shel. Torva luk

(a figure appears)

WORF: I see Kahless.

(Divok runs out. The figure walks forward and holds out his arms. Worf touches his hands.)

WORF: You are real.

(the other Klingons enter)

KAHLESS: I am Kahless, and I have returned.





from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 12/23/06 1:21 PM

I might have maintained a dual-status as an active member of the U.S. Marshals. That would make sense.





from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:04 AM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Journal May 21, 2006

Kerry Burgess wrote:

I think it was my first thought after waking up this morning that I used to date Julia Roberts a long time ago.

I also have these unexplained thoughts that I was a fighter pilot in the U.S. military, although I'm not sure which service, but I may have been in two different branches over time. I am also confused about thoughts that I may have been a helicopter pilot. What's next? A space shuttle pilot? Seems like a lot for someone that is only 40. And, while I am not sure when this divergence happened, I am reasonably certain it was before I turned 33. So I must have been a pretty busy guy. Especially because I have thoughts that I was some kind of mathmetician too. I have these thoughts too that I was captured by enemy forces at some point and tortured while in captivity.






2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00910 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00911 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00912 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00914 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00919 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00922 smdm


2017June25_Chloe55-200_DSC00921 smdm





"The Six Million Dollar Man" (1974)

Oscar Goldman: Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 1:50 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 01/18/2022