Monday, January 03, 2022

The Farthest Man From Home




space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h01m04s


space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h01m17s


space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h02m41s


space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h02m44s





https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/01/02/deployment-timeline-adjusted-as-team-focuses-on-observatory-operations/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=NASAWebb&utm_campaign=NASASocial&linkId=146558444

NASA official

James Webb Space Telescope

Deployment Timeline Adjusted as Team Focuses on Observatory Operations

Posted on January 2, 2022

James Webb Space Telescope

Taking advantage of its flexible commissioning schedule, the Webb team has decided to focus today on optimizing Webb’s power systems while learning more about how the observatory behaves in space. As a result, the Webb mission operations team has moved the beginning of sunshield tensioning activities to no earlier than tomorrow, Monday, Jan. 3. This will ensure Webb is in prime condition to begin the next major deployment step in its unfolding process.





https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasas-space-telescope-hunky-dory-192925841.html

Yahoo! News

NASA's new space telescope 'hunky-dory' after problems fixed

Mon, January 3, 2022, 11:29 AM

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA’s new space telescope is on the verge of completing the riskiest part of its mission — unfolding and tightening a huge sunshade — after ground controllers fixed a pair of problems, officials said Monday.

The tennis court-size sunshield on the James Webb Space Telescope is now fully open and in the process of being stretched tight. The operation should be complete by Wednesday.

The $10 billion telescope — the largest and most powerful astronomical observatory ever launched — rocketed away Christmas Day from French Guiana. Its sunshield and primary mirror had to be folded to fit into the European Ariane rocket.





https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/01/03/webb-team-moving-forward-with-sunshield-tensioning/

NASA

James Webb Space Telescope

Webb Team Moving Forward With Sunshield Tensioning

Posted on January 3, 2022

The Webb mission operations team began the first steps in the process of tensioning the first layer of Webb’s sunshield this morning around 10 a.m. EST.

It will take the team two to three days to tension the five-layer sunshield. The plan for today is to focus on the first layer, the largest and the one closest to the Sun.

This critical step in the observatory’s complex sequence of deployments resumed after Webb mission managers paused deployment operations on Saturday to allow for team rest





The City on the Edge of Forever [ Star Trek ]

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967

(from internet transcript)

KIRK: Time we faced the unpleasant facts.

SPOCK: First, I believe we have about a week before McCoy arrives, but we can't be certain.

KIRK: Arrives where? Honolulu, Boise, San Diego? Why not Outer Mongolia, for that matter?

SPOCK: There is a theory. There could be some logic to the belief that time is fluid, like a river, with currents, eddies, backwash.

KIRK: And the same currents that swept McCoy to a certain time and place might sweep us there, too.

SPOCK: Unless that is true, Captain, we have no hope. Frustrating. Locked in here is the place and moment of his arrival, even the images of what he did. If only I could tie this tricorder in with the ship's computers for just a few moments.

KIRK: Couldn't you build some form of computer aid here?

SPOCK: In this zinc-plated vacuum-tubed culture?

KIRK: Yes, well, it would pose an extremely complex problem in logic, Mister Spock. Excuse me. I sometimes expect too much of you.






Navy-Good-Conduct .jpg

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/ALNAVS/ALN2014/ALN14025.txt

United States Navy official website

RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0025 1071433-UUUU--RUCRNAV.

ZNR UUUUU

R 171433Z APR 14

FM SECNAV WASHINGTON DC TO ALNAV INFO SECNAV WASHINGTON DC CNO WASHINGTON DC CMC WASHINGTON DC BT

UNCLAS

ALNAV 025/14

MSGID/GENADMIN/SECNAV WASHINGTON DC/-/APR//

SUBJ/CHANGES TO NAVY GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL//

REF/A/DOC/SECNAV/22AUG2006// AMPN/REF A IS SECNAVINST 1650.1H, NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AWARDS MANUAL.// POC/CDR C. MCKEE/N0951C1/LOC: WASH DC

RMKS/1. Effective 1 January 2014, Navy Reserve members are eligible for the Navy Good Conduct Medal (NGCM) as set forth in the amended award criteria in paragraph (2) below. Additionally, the Naval Reserve Meritorious Service Medal will no longer be awarded. Reserve service prior to 1 January 2014 earned towards the Naval Reserve Meritorious Service Medal may be applied towards award of the Navy Good Conduct Medal. These changes will be incorporated in the next revision of Ref (a).

2. Article 420.2 of Ref (a) shall now read as follows:

"2. Navy Good Conduct Medal

a. Authorization. The NGCM was established by SECNAV on 26 April 1869 to recognize the "all-around" good Navy enlisted person, well qualified in all phases of conduct and performance. Effective 1 February 1971, commanding officers were delegated authority to award the NGCM. Effective 1 January 2014, Navy Reserve personnel who meet the Reserve eligibility requirements are authorized the NGCM. The CNO has review authority over the NGCM and designates specific criteria for the award.

b. Eligibility Requirements

(1) Period of Service. In accordance with NAVADMIN 305/95, subsequent to 1 January 1996, any three years of continuous active or Reserve service as an enlisted person in the Navy or Navy Reserve. For the period 1 November 1963 through 31 December 1995, inclusive, the qualifying eligibility period is four years.





Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

(from internet transcript)

[Surface of Vulcan]

FEMALE MASTER: (in Vulcan) Our ancestors cast out their animal passions on these very sands, ...saving our race through the attainment of Kolinahr.

MALE MASTER: (in Vulcan) Kolinahr, through which all emotion is renounced and shed.

FEMALE MASTER: (in Vulcan) You have laboured for many seasons, Spock ...and you have proved yourself worthy ...to receive this symbol of pure logic.

FEMALE MASTER: (in Vulcan) Your thoughts, give them to me. Our minds are joined, Spock, ...together, and as one. I sense the consciousness calling to you from space. ...Your human blood is touched by it





from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 11/30/07 6:05 AM

I had an odd dream, last night I think, that I associate with that programmed roll the space shuttle stack makes just after lift off.

In the dream, though, I had jumped off a bridge and the water was a very long ways down. I was absolutely certain I would survive the fall though and I was thinking to myself that I needed to take a large gulp of air just before I hit the surface because I was going to go far below the surface. But I was also preparing myself to pull my legs up to my chest after I went under the surface so that I would not go as far below the surface than if my body remained in a shape similar to an arrow. There was also something about someone waterskiing nearby behind a jet ski. It seemed that water skiier said something to me but I don't know how that was possible because he was so far off.

11/30/07 6:10 AM

So anyway, as I was falling towards the water, my body rolled around in the vertical axis not unlike the shuttle stack does shortly after liftoff.

11/30/07 7:01 AM

Was that a dream about true memories of falling out of the space shuttle on 4/14/1981?

I remember what I wrote a while back that I told people that my injuries, from falling out of the space shuttle, was from a water skiing accident.

11/30/07 12:44 PM

That detail I wrote of earlier about taking a large gulp of air before I hit the water.

That might actually be a notion about a parachute.

In the dream, which I can't remember now the full detail, I was thinking that I would rise to the surface faster if I had my lungs as full of air as possible.

I can think of how that notion could apply to the parachute fully expanding after I fell out of the space shuttle.





Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

(from internet transcript)

[Outside Enterprise - Spock in a thruster suit]

SPOCK: Computer. Commence recording. Captain Kirk, these messages will detail my attempt to contact the aliens. ...I intend to calculate thruster ignition and acceleration rates to coincide with the opening of the V'Ger orifice. This should facilitate a better view of the interior of the alien spacecraft.

[Enterprise bridge]

UHURA: Captain, Starfleet signals growing in strength, sir. ...They still have the intruder on their monitors. It's decelerating!

SULU: Confirmed. Lunar beacons indicate intruder on a course into Earth orbit.

CHEKOV: Sir! Airlock four has been opened. A thruster suit is reported missing!

KIRK: A thruster suit? That's Spock! Damn him! Bring him back here. ...No wait, ...get a fix on his position.

CHEKOV: Aye sir.

[Outside Enterprise]

(Spock fires the thruster suit





From 2/28/2019 ( debut of "Space Engineers" by Keen Software House ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 1040 days

1040 = 520 + 520

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/6/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The City on the Edge of Forever" ) is 520 days



From 1/21/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut bound for deep space in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the planet Mars and his documented and lawful exclusive claim to the territory of the planet Mars ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 16784 days

16784 = 8392 + 8392

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/24/1988 ( as Kerry Burgess my official United States Navy documents includes: Date Earned - First Good Conduct Award {first and only due to end of active obligated service} ) is 8392 days



From 3/8/1988 ( as me, Kerry Burgess, while enlisted paygrade E-5, designated Petty Officer Second Class Fire Controlman (FC2), my official enlisted United States Navy documents includes: Terrier MK 152 guided-missiles Fire Control Computer Complex Operator (UNIVAC digital-computers Mk152 Terrier System for, primarily, SM2-ER {Extended Range} Standard Missiles ordnance) - CF-division, Missile Plot, USS Wainwright CG-28, United States Navy, following my graduation Naval Missiles School, Dam Neck, Virginia ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 12354 days

12354 = 6177 + 6177

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/1/1982 ( the Walt Disney Company EPCOT Center opens in Florida & premiere US film "Spaceship Earth" at Walt Disney World ) is 6177 days



From 12/7/1979 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 15368 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 11/30/2007 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal ) is 15368 days



From 5/29/1883 ( the USA patent awarded to John Costello ) To 10/1/1995 ( premiere US TV series episode "Space: Above and Beyond"::"The Farthest Man from Home" ) is 41032 days

41032 = 20516 + 20516

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 20516 days



From 5/11/1983 ( premiere US TV series episode "Quincy M.E."::"The Cutting Edge" ) To 1/3/2022 ( ) is 14117 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/27/2004 ( as Kerry Burgess the amateur-competitor nummber 878 I successfully completed the Ironman Coeur d'Alene triathlon ) is 14117 days



https://twitter.com/NASAWebb/status/1478045927621410823

Twitter

NASA Webb Telescope

@NASAWebb

Launched: Dec. 25, 2021. First images: Expected in June 2022. Follow along as the world's most powerful space telescope gets ready to #UnfoldTheUniverse!

Today we start tensioning the most Sun-facing layer of #NASAWebb's 5-layer, tennis court-sized sunshield.

Read in depth how our sunshield works https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/observatory/sunshield.html

More about tensioning activities: https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb #UnfoldTheUniverse

8:49 AM Jan 3, 2022





album: "Foreigner" (1977)

Foreigner

"Long, Long Way From Home"

(from internet transcript)

It was a Monday
A day like any other day
I left a small town
For the Apple in decay

It was my destiny
It's what we needed to do
They were telling me
I'm telling you

I was inside looking outside
The millions of faces
But still I'm alone
Waiting, hours of waiting
Paying a penance
I was longing for home

I'm looking out for the two of us
I hope we'll be here when they're through with us

I was inside looking outside
Oh the millions of faces
But still I'm alone
Waiting, hours of waiting
I could feel the tension
I was longing for home

I'm looking out for the two of us
And I hope we'll be here when they're through with us
I'm a long way from home

Monday, sad, sad Monday
She's waiting for me
But I'm a long, long way from home

Sad, sad Monday
She's waiting for me But I'm a long, long way from home

Sad, sad Monday
Oh she's waiting for me
But I'm a long, long way from home






2022-01-03_1


2022-01-03_2


2022-01-03_3


2021-12-28_2


2021-12-29_1


2021-12-31_1


2022-01-02_1


space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h03m00s


space-above-and-beyond_season1-ep2_00h03m08s

- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 7:29 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 01/03/2022