Sunday, February 13, 2022

Today in Sunday, 02/13/2022, Post #2





Seems to me impossible to understand why the Western-genre is so popular and has been for so many decades. There's a new antenna broadcast channel I discovered a while back called Grit that I had on a couple hours yesterday, after tuning in, had to find out how The Doolins of Oklahoma (1949) turned out.

Seems impossible now

But many years ago, I did understand

I can remember being 18, 19 years old and I had discovered Louis L'Amour novels, set in the distant past of the west USA. Many hours at night in my bunk while at sea, I would lose myself in one of his novels, which I later started to think were basically all the same. Soon after, I found similar interest and focus on writing my own binary-code software for the Univac digital-computers on my next ship. Where I also discovered Tom Clancy and Stephen King novels.

Presumbaly, escapist-fiction works for other people the same as it has always worked for me: to imagine oneself as one of the characters in the book or video

What gets me now is how impractical is the genre, for many, many reasons

But the most glaring reason is because of their appearances

In recent weeks, I have scoured my notes trying to find a post I may have or may not have made. I still cannot find it and most times when that happens I do usually find it. And that's no small feat because the amount of content I have compiled in my notes is staggering

In the note I cannot find now, I made some comment about the covered-wagon settlers that ventured into the West didn't have clothes washing machines, also something about solar-power

Watching the first few minutes of the first episode of "1883", from that Paramount internet-video website, what strikes me most is her appearance.

I mean, her teeth are whiter than probably more than 90% of the population today of this rich country USA. The toothbrush didn't start mass-production until year 1885 and the nylon-toothbrush didn't come out until the late 1930s. Not that would give anyone such brilliantly white teeth as hers.

Not that I mind seeing her face on my computer-monitor. As opposed to some moldy old hag. But that would be realistic. And definitely not something I would want to escape to.

As in so many other instances I've documented, I wrote all the content above this line *before* I started searching in my original work code-pattern for content to post here in this note, before I resume watching the video beyond the opening scenes of this first episode, of which I had already decided to reference her narration at the beginning of the first episode. The rest of the content was created and was compiled by me *after* I wrote all the lines here above this line.









1883

TV-series season 1 episode 1

(from internet transcript)

Elsa Dutton: [narration] I remember the first time I saw it. Tried to find words to describe it... but I couldn't. Nothing had prepared me... no books, no teachers, not even my parents. I heard a thousand stories but none could describe this place. It must be witnessed to be understood. And yet... I've seen it, and understand it even less than before I first cast eyes on this place. Some call it the American Desert, others, the Great Plains. But those phrases were invented by professors at universities surrounded by the illusion of order and the fantasy of right and wrong. To know it, you must walk it. Bleed into its dirt. Drown in its rivers. Then its name becomes clear It is hell, and there are demons everywhere.









From 3/14/1893 ( ) To 5/1/1949 ( the discovery of the planet Neptune moon Nereid by Gerard Kuiper ) is 20501 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/19/2021 ( ) is 20501 days



From 3/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate and possibly the date of the secret, doctorate-degree credential from Princeton University, I can only theorize, struggling to understand ) To 12/19/2021 ( ) is 11236 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/7/1996 ( premiere US TV series episode "Biography"::"Sir Isaac Newton: The Gravity of Genius" ) is 11236 days



From 3/16/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate and possibly the date of the secret, doctorate-degree credential from Princeton University, I can only theorize, struggling to understand ) To 12/19/2021 ( ) is 11236 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/7/1996 ( Puppet-in-chief Bill Clinton, the 42nd President of USA: Remarks on the Possible Discovery of Life on Mars and an Exchange With Reporters ) is 11236 days



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14103574/

IMDb

1883

Episode aired Dec 19, 2021

S1 E1

The Dutton family embarks westward through the last bastion of untamed America. James arrives in Texas, where he and his family prepare to make their way through The Great Plains in search of a new home and the promise of opportunity.

Top Cast

Isabel May as Elsa Dutton










2021-12-19_1



- posted by me, Kerry Burgess 08:43 AM Pacific-time USA Sunday 02/13/2022