Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Unheeded warnings.














http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/090723-N-1255R-032.jpg

090723-N-1255R-032 ATLANTIC OCEAN (July 23, 2009) An aft view of the guided-missile submarine USS Georgia (SSGN 729) underway in the Atlantic Ocean. Georgia is homeported in Kings Bay, Ga., and is preparing for its maiden deployment since converting from a ballistic missile submarine to a guided-missile submarine. (U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Rebecca Rebarich/Released)


http://www.navy.mil/view_photos_top.asp

090723-N-1255R-032










"Space: Above And Beyond"

"Level of Necessity"

January 14, 1996

Episode 13 DVD:

00:13:37


1LT Vanessa Damphousse: What the hell does any of this have to do with my actions in the tunnel? I'm happy to answer any official questions -

Colonel Matthew Burke: There's only one more thing that I'd like to ask you to do and then we're finished.

1LT Vanessa Damphousse: I don't feel comfortable.

Colonel Matthew Burke: It doesn't matter. Focus on the target.

1LT Vanessa Damphousse: What target?

Colonel Matthew Burke: Just tell me what you see.

1LT Vanessa Damphousse: I see two ping pong balls and some cotton over my eyes. What do you mean?










http://www.lyricsondemand.com/p/pinkfloydlyrics/learningtoflylyrics.html

Pink Floyd Lyrics

Learning To Fly Lyrics


Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction holding me fast, how
Can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to guide my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air,
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=38605&st=&st1=

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Address Before the Assembly of the Republic of Portugal in Lisbon

May 9, 1985

I'm sorry that some of the chairs on the left seem to be uncomfortable. [Laughter]

[The President was referring to a walkout by Communist Party Assembly members prior to his address. ]

I'm deeply honored to be with you distinguished ladies and gentlemen here in this assembly that is so rich in history, where the voice of the Portuguese people is heard.

For us, a long journey is ending now, but one fruitful in results and rich in memory. World leaders in summit conference, the youth of modern Germany, warm welcomes at the European Parliament and in Spain-all these things we have seen and been grateful for. We have seen, too, memorials to the devastation of the past, to the memory of war, and to the cruelty of totalitarian rule. Yet we have also seen the prospering cities and nations of the modern Europe and experienced the warmth of her free people. Let there be no doubt that these things too are monuments, monuments to the future and to the human spirit—its capacity for hope and change, its passion for peace and freedom.

And now, at last, we have the honor of coming here to Portugal, a particularly fitting place for an American to make farewells as well as bring greetings. For as the history books of America's schoolchildren teach them, it was from these shores that the first maritime explorers departed, the scientists and adventurers whose skill and courage would lead someday to the discovery of a new world and a new nation.










http://www.lyricsondemand.com/p/pinkfloydlyrics/learningtoflylyrics.html

Pink Floyd Lyrics

Learning To Fly Lyrics


Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to guide my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try










http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pinkfloyd/twosunsinthesunset.html

PINK FLOYD LYRICS

"Two Suns In The Sunset"


in my rear view mirror the sun is going down
sinking behind bridges in the road
and i think of all the good things
that we have left undone
and i suffer premonitions
confirm suspicions
of the holocaust to come
the rusty wire that holds the cork
that keeps the anger in
gives way
and suddenly it's day again
the sun is in the east
even though the day is done
two suns in the sunset


could be the human race is run
like the moment when your brakes lock
and you slide toward the big truck
and stretch the frozen moments with your fear
and you'll never hear their voices
and you'll never see their faces
you have no recourse to the law anymore
and as the windshield melts
my tears evaporate
leaving only charcoal to defend
finally i understand
the feelings of the few
ashes and diamonds
foe and friend
we were all equal in the end










http://www.tv.com/the-twilight-zone/the-rip-van-winkle-caper/episode/12644/trivia.html

tv.com

The Twilight Zone

Season 2, Episode 24

The Rip Van Winkle Caper

Air Date

April 21, 1961

Quotes

(Closing Narration)

Narrator: The last of four Rip Van Winkles who all died precisely the way they lived, chasing an idol across the sand to wind up bleached dry in the hot sun as so much desert flotsam, worthless as the gold bullion they built a shrine to. Tonight's lesson... in the Twilight Zone.