Thursday, January 15, 2015

Antlers




The way I remember it this scene is highly consistent with a story Thedia told me at least more than once.

I don't recall precisely when she told me that story. Sitting here at my desk trying to recall more details I can only guess she told me that story in the 1990s. If she told me before the 1990s then I don't know. I can only describe the thoughts in my mind. The details of facts and time can be difficult about anything with the 1990s I would think.

The story was about the day she and Joseph Burgess drove me home in a pickup truck from the hospital in Antlers Oklahoma where I was born. The Oklahoma Indian Turnpike was under construction, she told me. As I recall she and Joseph Burgess were driving to Homer Burgess's land outside Antlers, a place I remember vividly from my youth.

I sure do miss the green colors of the South. And the absence of green in the winter. That is something obvious from Google Streetview. But I sure do love the real winters of the North. I think that is something people from the South can appreciate more.

See, if Thedia had watched this movie when it premiered in the year 1978 then she might have thought about that. I did see it back in that timeframe but I don't recall precisely when I did see it for the first time. For instance, I can specifically recall she letting me go see the premiere of the 1980 film "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" at a theatre in Texarkana. Presumably that was the same time as the premiere in the year 1980. I can also recall the film "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and presumably I saw that around the 1979 premiere but I would guess when I saw it was in the year 1980 although I don't have actual memory of seeing it specifically and only have ancillary memory about it. The premiere of "Superman" was in 1978 and if I saw it in 1978 or 1979 then I would guess we all went to the drive-in theatre in our local town to see it. But I have no conscious memory of seeing it back then.

What I wonder now is if that task assigned to raising me was given to a group of hapless people with no real regard to certain refined features.



































DSC08342.JPG










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Nation_Turnpike


Indian Nation Turnpike

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Indian Nation Turnpike is a toll road in southeastern Oklahoma, USA, running between Hugo and Henryetta, Oklahoma, a distance of 105.2 miles (169.3 km). It is the longest tollway in the state.


History

The route is one continuous four-lane limited access highway, but consists of two separately constructed sections. The 41.1-mile (66.1 km) northern section, which opened in 1966











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.214978,-95.62993&spn=0.003979,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=34.214815,-95.631147&panoid=5RtWz2b8wLdtaj3sYYnEWA&cbp=12,290.13,,0,16.64

Google Maps


N Hall Rd, Antlers, Oklahoma, United States










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066769/quotes

IMDb


The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Quotes


Dr. Mark Hall: Tell us what happened, Mr. Jackson.

Jackson: I don't wanna think about it.

Dr. Mark Hall: You know what people will say: "Piedmont was bad. That's why it was punished." First the town went crazy and then was destroyed...

Jackson: YOU'RE crazy! Folks at Piedmont was good, decent, normal folks.

Dr. Mark Hall: The man we found all dressed up in his doughboy's uniform, you call that normal?










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=helix-2014&episode=s01e13

Springfield! Springfield!



Helix

Dans L'Ombre


Virus and cure.
They're yours now.
Dr. Farragut.
I was beginning to feel neglected.
Not a feeling you're used to, I'm sure.
You know very little about me, but I know a great deal about you: Second son to a second son, destined for mediocrity while your handsome brother scooped up all the accolades.










1978 film "Superman" DVD video:


Jonathan Kent: What was that? Now, wouldn't that beat all get-out? Will you - you...

Martha Kent: Pa...

Jonathan Kent: Oh, my.

Martha Kent: All these years, as happy as we've been how I've prayed and prayed the good Lord see fit to give us a child.

Jonathan Kent: Honey, will you hand me that rag up there.

Martha Kent: You take things easy now, Jonathan. Remember what Doc Frye said about that heart of yours.

Jonathan Kent: Now the first thing we've got to do when we get home is find out who that boy's proper family is.

Martha Kent: He hasn't got any. Not around here, anyway.

Jonathan Kent: Martha, are you thinking what I think you're thinking?

Martha Kent: We could say he's the child of my cousin in North Dakota. And just now orphaned.

Jonathan Kent: Oh, Martha.

Martha Kent: Jonathan, he's only a baby.

Jonathan Kent: Martha. Now, you saw how we found him.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 11:28 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Thursday 15 January 2015