Saturday, January 20, 2024

Today is 01/20/2024





by me, Kerry Burgess, 12/08/2023 ~ 03:24 AM

I wrote once somewhere long ago that anything never alive can not ever be considered as 'dead'









by me, Kerry Burgess, 01/19/2024 3:43 PM

Turned on the tv before the local news broadcast begins at 4 PM

Annndddd sonuvabitch!

Damn thing isn't working

Can just barely make out the broadcast video

All the menu systems are clear

But not the tv reception, on all channels

Moved around the antenna. Nothing. Leaving it on for a while to see if it improves

Wondered how long before the damn thing broke. I've owned only two of these large, flat-screen tv's and the first one broke before the batteries in the remote-control depleted. Same thing here. Never buying another one. I will just live without a regular tv. There are subscriptions for internet-streams of broadcast-channels but that's a waste of money to me

I knew already before today about Japan's uncrewed lunar lander. I knew before I tried my tv today that they landed it successfully but that it is failing to work properly.

My first thought was of an original episode of TWZ. Looking around *after-the-fact* I was reminded of an episode of The Simpsons

I was extremely pleased with that tv performance when I first received it. The colors so rich and vibrant. The price was right. The smell was horrendous, though. Had to leave it on the patio a few days before it finally dissipated. Burning PCBs? I don't know. Concerning one could develop lung-cancer from something like that. Also suspect that Amazon is the dumping ground for slightly defective products from any manufacturer. Amazon is the only source I use for such products so I don't know if the others, such as Walmart, are equally affected by defective products.










2024-01-19_1









IMDb

The Shining

Quotes

Jack Torrance: Wendy, let me explain something to you. Whenever you come in here and interrupt me, you're breaking my concentration. You're distracting me, and it will then take me time to get back to where I was. Understand?

Wendy Torrance: Yeah.

Jack Torrance: Fine. Then we're going to make a new rule. Whenever I'm in here and you hear me typing

[types]

Jack Torrance: or whether you don't hear me typing, whatever the fuck you hear me doing, when I'm in here, that means that I am working, that means don't come in. Now, do you think you can handle that?

Wendy Torrance: Yeah.

Jack Torrance: Good. Now why don't you start right now and get the fuck out of here? Hm?









by me, Kerry Burgess, 01/19/2024 4:15 PM

I could stream-video for Channel 2 KREM at 4 PM but don't feel like it. Dopey Norah and CBS Evening News don't have a free source of streaming-video that I know of so I won't be watching that again anytime soon. Should not even be important to document anything after that critical report I delivered yesterday. You fat-ass slobs and other lameoids should be complaining right now to your congress-people with your OCD demands of answers

Just remembered that yesterday I discovered that Amazon Prime Video has available the 1994 tv-miniseries "Stephen King's The Stand" in high-definition video

I already have it on DVD and streaming in standard-definition. They have HD priced at only $9.99 so I had to purchase yesterday a copy of the streaming-video. Amazon now convienently allows downloads









by me, Kerry Burgess, 01/19/2024 4:30 PM

Didn't check audio. Video is dimly lit on all channels

Antenna-broadcast programming I cannot receive

Today's the first time I have ever seen this sort of failure with this television









by me, Kerry Burgess, 01/19/2024 7:35 PM

Plugged in, operating normally

From outside somewhere, deliberate EM interference perhaps?

Probably the only reason I'm making this note is because of my tv today

The Japan lander is interesting but I wasn't planning to look closely at it

If it hasn't happened already, this blog is certainly going to make *me* become someones - those with Present Ability - Useful Fool and deliver the messages here they want me to deliver

Well, I am more than aware of that possibility. And if you think that outcome means anything then you truly Do. Not. Get. It.

And that makes *you* the Useful Fool.









by me, Kerry Burgess, 01/19/2024 11:36 PM

Turned tv on again before 11 PM news and now a rebroadcast of Perry Mason I've seen several times on MeTV at this same time of night, tv still working perfectly

Soooooo, the only point of this note is that the minor problem today with this tv, which has turned out to be a bargain, is that it's caused me to look closer at that uncrewed lunar-lander from Japan

Caused me to examine Friday the 19th and Saturday the 20th










movie01_0363 .jpg, from internet - Stargate (1994)










DSCN3954 foti
DSCN3950 foti
DSCN3948 foti
10800_DSC00497 foti
flight-of-the-intruder_00h05m14s
flight-of-the-intruder_00h05m27s
flight-of-the-intruder_00h05m08s









Flight Of The Intruder (1991)

Black Eagle, Devil 5-0-5. Feet dry.

That's a roger, 5-0-5.

Look at that small-arms fire down there, Morg.

Every peasant with a rifle, huh?

Jesus, you call that a rifle?

I lost them.

Yeah, you hope.

You got that riverbend ahead?

Just picked it up.

One more minute on this heading to the turn point.

23 Mike, Mike-- I see them.

Go active on ECM. Jam 'em up.

ECM active. We're jammin'.










flight-of-the-intruder_00h32m24s
flight-of-the-intruder-1991_00h-28m-07s









https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734622/

IMDb

The Twilight Zone

S2.E20

Static

Episode aired Mar 10, 1961

An old radio is taking bitter bachelor Ed Lindsay back to a happier time before what he considers worthless tripe on television when he starts picking up radio programs from the 1930's and 1940's.









The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 29

Stuart Redman was waiting for Elder. He had been waiting for three days and this evening Elder did not disappoint him.

At just past noon on the twenty-fourth, Elder and two male nurses had come and taken away the television. The nurses had removed it while Elder stood by, holding his revolver (neatly wrapped in a Baggie) on Stu. But by then Stu hadn't wanted or needed the TV - it was just putting out a lot of confused shit anyway. All he had to do was stand at his barred window and look out at the town on the river below. Like the man on the record said, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."









IMDb

The Twilight Zone

Static

Quotes

[opening narration]

Narrator: No one ever saw one quite like that, because that's a very special sort of radio. In its day, circa 1935, its type was one of the most elegant consoles on the market. Now, with its fabric-covered speakers, its peculiar yellow dial, its serrated knobs, it looks quaint and a little strange. Mr. Ed Lindsay is going to find out how strange very soon - when he tunes in to The Twilight Zone.









IMDb

The Twilight Zone

Static

Quotes

The Boy: [who just helped him carry a huge, heavy 1935 console radio upstairs] Think it still works?

Ed Lindsay: [starts to turn on radio] Sure. Of course, it works. They made things to last in those days, boy.










174cm b-cup 3_1 .jpg, from internet - unknown ; WM174B

https://reallovesexdolls.com/5ft9-174cm-b-cup-rlsd/









"Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy" [ The Simpsons ]

Original airdate in N.A.: 17-Feb-94

(from internet transcript)

Abe, meanwhile, inspects some of the other merchandise.

Abe: When I was young, toys were built to last. Look at this junk! [holds a toy rocket] It breaks the first time you take it out of the box. [He strains, then manages to break it in half] And look at these toy soldiers - they'll break the second I step on 'em. [stomps on em] Arg! Stupid! Toy! Soldiers! Break, you stupid --

[Two security guards grab him]

Guard: All right, come on, Pops. Soldiers won't bother you any more.









From 8/1/1980 ( premiere USA film "The Final Countdown" ) To 1/19/2024 ( Friday ) is 15876 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/21/2009 ( premiere USA TV series "Life After People"::series premiere "The Bodies Left Behind" ) is 15876 days



From 2/17/1994 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Simpsons"::"Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy" ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 10928 days

10928 = 5464 + 5464

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/18/1980 ( premiere USA TV series episode "In Search of..."::"Life After Life" ) is 5464 days



From 1/29/1966 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Get Smart"::"Back to the Old Drawing Board" ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 21174 days

21174 = 10587 + 10587

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/28/1994 ( premiere USA film "Stargate" ) is 10587 days



From 3/10/1961 ( premiere USA TV series episode "The Twilight Zone"::"Static" ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 22960 days

22960 = 11480 + 11480

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/8/1997 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Nova"::"Cut to the Heart" ) is 11480 days



From 12/8/1976 ( "Hotel California" by Eagles ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 17208 days

17208 = 8604 + 8604

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 5/24/1989 ( premiere USA film "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" ) is 8604 days



From 10/1/1962 ( premiere USA TV series "The Lucy Show" ) To 12/17/2020 ( premiere CBS adaption of Stephen King's "The Stand" ) is 21262 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 21262 days



From 10/1/1962 ( premiere USA TV series "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" ) To 12/17/2020 ( premiere CBS adaption of Stephen King's "The Stand" ) is 21262 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 21262 days



From 5/23/1980 ( premiere USA film "The Shining" ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 15946 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/30/2009 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Nova"::"Musical Minds" ) is 15946 days



From 8/18/1973 ( The Killian Document ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 18416 days

18416 = 9208 + 9208

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/18/1991 ( premiere USA film "Flight of the Intruder" ) is 9208 days



From 8/20/1973 ( from Wikipedia: U.S. President Nixon grabbed and shoved his White House Press Secretary, Ron Ziegler, into a crowd of reporters after getting angry at being followed. Nixon shouted, "I don't want any press with me!," spun Ziegler around and shoved him, and yelled "Take care of it!" The incident was captured on film by a CBS News crew that had been covering Nixon's visit to a Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in New Orleans. ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 18414 days

18414 = 9207 + 9207

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/17/1991 ( from the thoughts in my conscious mind, coinciding with United States of America Veterans Affairs hospital psychiatric doctor medical drugs: the date of record of my US Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) is 9207 days



From 1/10/1967 ( premiere USA TV series pilot "The Invaders"::"Beachhead" ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 20828 days

20828 = 10414 + 10414

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 5/8/1994 ( premiere USA TV miniseries "Stephen King's The Stand"::miniseries premiere episode "The Plague" ) is 10414 days



From 6/24/2017 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, referenced here ) To 1/19/2024 ( ) is 2400 days

2400 = 1200 + 1200

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 2/14/1969 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Requiem for Methuselah" ) is 1200 days









by me, Kerry Burgess: June 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Kerry Burgess updated his status.

This morning I again saw a clock in a dream while sleeping.

That's happened before.

What has also happened before is that this morning I could clearly see the time on the clock in that sleeping dream.

Also happened before, as did happen this morning in this occurrence is that the time on the clock in my sleeping dream precisely matched the time on the clock when I got out of bed.

I can't read the clock when I am in bed. Also in the sleeping dream today was a very loud and persistent alarm blaring just before I woke. The alarm was not set here in the real world.

Those are the sort of prescient observations I always take notice. I just never can figure out why I cannot reproduce that ability. I cannot always make predictions. Seems to be just happening to me. Could be because I am somehow aware of other stuff happening in the real world and I am selective about when I choose to unmask my power.









IMDb

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Quotes

Professor Henry Jones: [Examining the broken vase] Late 14th Ming Dynasty. Oh it breaks the heart.

Indiana Jones: And the head. You hit me dad.

Professor Henry Jones: I'll never forgive myself.

Indiana Jones: Don't worry I'm all right.

Professor Henry Jones: Thank God... it's fake. See you can tell with the cross sections.









album: "Hotel California" (1976)

Eagles

"Hotel California"

(from internet transcript, unverified)

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain
"Please bring me my wine."
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine."
And still those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check-out any time you like
But you can never leave!"









https://news.yahoo.com/japans-first-moon-lander-aiming-113530361.html

Yahoo! News

Japan becomes the fifth country to land a spacecraft on the moon

MARI YAMAGUCHI

Updated Fri, January 19, 2024 at 12:02 PM PST

TOKYO (AP) — Japan became the fifth country in history to reach the moon when one of its spacecrafts without astronauts successfully made a soft landing on the lunar surface early Saturday.

However, space officials said they need more time to analyze whether the Smart Lander for Investigating Moon, or SLIM, achieved its mission priority of making a pinpoint landing.

SLIM landed on the moon at about 12:20 a.m. Tokyo time on Saturday (1520 GMT Friday).









From 8/18/2022 ( by me, Kerry Burgess, referenced here ) To 1/20/2024 ( Saturday ) is 520 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/6/1967 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The City on the Edge of Forever" ) is 520 days



From 3/16/2021 ( ordered by me: "Hope" - named by me {precisely 1200 days after "Evelyn" - named by vendor} - previously illustrated and referenced ) To 1/20/2024 ( ) is 1040 days

1040 = 520 + 520

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 4/6/1967 ( premiere USA TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The City on the Edge of Forever" ) is 520 days









"The City on the Edge of Forever" [ Star Trek ]

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967

(from internet transcript)

SPOCK: There is a theory. There could be some logic to the belief that time is fluid, like a river, with currents, eddies, backwash.

KIRK: And the same currents that swept McCoy to a certain time and place might sweep us there, too.

SPOCK: Unless that is true, Captain, we have no hope. Frustrating. Locked in here is the place and moment of his arrival, even the images of what he did. If only I could tie this tricorder in with the ship's computers for just a few moments.

KIRK: Couldn't you build some form of computer aid here?

SPOCK: In this zinc-plated vacuum-tubed culture?

KIRK: Yes, well, it would pose an extremely complex problem in logic, Mister Spock. Excuse me. I sometimes expect too much of you.









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: 08:07 AM August 18, 2022

1/

by me, Kerry Burgess

In the past half-hour this morning, as I was in the shower, I glimpsed in the bathroom mirror a partial image of my tv-screen in the living room



2/

CDC

OVERH

What the hell does that mean, I wondered. Minutes later, I could still see that same image and it began to annoy me, finishing my shower, because I couldn't imagine what "OVERH" could mean, other than "overheard" and that made no sense



3/

Couple minutes more, still don't get it.

Drying off, starting to wonder if Today It Finally All Makes Sense



4/

See, this is how I imagine an Apocalypse would seem, to those lucky or unlucky enough to survive it.



5/

The debut is next month of the Epix channel video-serial "War of the Worlds" season 3

Perhaps they introduce characters survived the initial attack from season 1 BECAUSE they were standing under the shower at the time of the attack



6/

I'm writing this line at 07:54 AM and all I know right now is the internet is still available to me.

Haven't checked yet for normal activity of other people.

FM radio is still broadcasting and just this moment BOB-FM said "That sounds promising", from recording probably



7/

My tv reception is from a small antenna. The image has locked up on my tv-screen BEFORE today but never the way I've seen it today. And those previous instances, it resumed normal operation as I moved closer to the antenna. That's not happening today. I powered it off



8/

The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

(from internet transcript)

Chapter 25

At dusk he walked down Main Street to Paulie's Radio & TV and committed another of his apologetic break-ins. He left a note by the cash register and lugged a Sony portable back to the jail.



9/

The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

He turned it on and flipped through the channels. The CBS affiliate was broadcasting a sign which read MICROWAVE RELAY DIFFICULTY PLEASE STAY TUNED. The ABC station was showing "I Love Lucy," and the NBC feed was a rerun episode



10/

The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

Chapter 25

in a current series about a perky young girl trying to be a mechanic on the stock-car circuit.



11/

The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

Chapter 25

The Texarkana station, an independent specializing mostly in old movies, game shows, and religious zanies of the Jack Van Impe stripe, was off the air.



12/

DSC06690 , DSC06691 , DSC06692 , .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess, 08/18/2022









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: 10:21 AM August 18, 2022

The advantage of something similar to this - ever optimistically - is that the people surviving the Apocalypse wave of horror won't waste as much time trying to understand *why* it happened

For those of us not superstitious, we can relax in the graveyard of 8 billion and countless billions and billions and billions of non-human animals and know the answer is beyond our comprehension and not even the best scientists will ever figure it out










2022-08-18_11









https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Astronaut_Group_13









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: 8:10 AM August 18, 2022

Time here now: 08:08 AM

Powered tv on

Nope, normal broadcasting returns at this moment

Nicole Hernandez has the "live" tv tag on the screen right now









Star Trek Generations (1994)

(from internet transcript)

[Veridian III mountaintop]

PICARD: You don't need to do this, Soran. ...I'm sure we could find another way of getting you into this Nexus.

SORAN: I've spent eighty years looking for another way. Believe me, this is the only one.

(Soran presses some buttons on a keypad and a rocket reveals itself on the launcher)

PICARD: What you're about to do Soran, is no different from when the Borg destroyed your world. They killed millions too, ...including your wife ...and children.

SORAN: Nice try. ...You know, there was a time when I wouldn't hurt a fly. Then the Borg came. And they showed me that if there is one constant in this whole universe. ...It's death. ...Afterwards I began to realise it didn't really matter. We're all going to die sometime. It's just a question of how and when. You will too, Captain. Aren't you beginning to feel time gaining on you? ...It's like a predator. It's stalking you. ...Oh, you can try and outrun it with doctors, medicines, new technologies, but in the end time is going to hunt you down, ...and make the kill.

PICARD: It's our mortality that defines us, Soran. It's part of the truth of our existence.

SORAN: What if I told you I've found a new truth.

PICARD: The Nexus?

SORAN: Time has no meaning there. The predator has no teeth.

[Bird-of-Prey bridge]

LURSA: Where is he now?

B'ETOR: He bathed. Now he's roaming the ship. ...He must be the only Engineer who doesn't go to engineering.









https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream

On 12 February 1994, two men broke into the National Gallery, Oslo, and stole its version of The Scream, leaving a note reading "Thanks for the poor security".









From 5/8/1994 ( premiere USA TV miniseries "Stephen King's The Stand"::miniseries premiere episode "The Plague" ) To 8/18/2022 ( ) is 10329 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 2/12/1994 ( ) is 10329 days



From 12/17/2020 ( premiere CBS adaption of Stephen King's "The Stand" ) To 8/18/2022 ( ) is 609 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 7/4/1967 ( effective date of the United States federal Freedom of Information Act ) is 609 days



From 2/1/1938 ( from the Nassau Lit publication, Princeton University: On Soap And Mr. Darwin ) To 11/17/1994 ( premiere USA film "Star Trek Generations" ) is 20743 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/18/2022 ( ) is 20743 days










2022-08-18_12
2022-08-18_13









The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 4

It was an hour past nightfall.

Starkey sat alone at a long table, sifting through sheets of yellow flimsy. Their contents dismayed him. He had been serving his country for thirty-six years, beginning as a scared West Point plebe. He had won medals. He had spoken with Presidents, had offered them advice, and on occasion his advice had been taken. He had been through dark moments before, plenty of them, but this

He was scared, so deeply scared he hardly dared admit it to himself. It was the kind of fear that could drive you mad.

On impulse he got up and went to the wall where the five blank TV monitors looked into the room. As he got up, his knee bumped the table, causing one of the sheets of flimsy to fall off the edge. It seesawed lazily down through the mechanically purified air and landed on the tile, half in the table's shadow and half out. Someone standing over it and looking down would have seen this:

OT CONFIRMED
SEEMS REASONABLY
STRAIN CODED 848-AB
CAMPION, (W.) SALLY
ANTIGEN SHIFT AND MUTATION.
HIGH RISK/EXCESS MORTALITY
AND COMMUNICABILITY ESTIMATED
REPEAT 99.4%. ATLANTA PLAGUE CENTER
UNDERSTANDS. TOP SECRET BLUE FOLDER.
ENDS
P-T-222312A

Starkey pushed a button under the middle screen and the picture flashed on with the unnerving suddenness of solid state components. It showed the western California desert, looking east. It was desolate, and the desolation was rendered eerie by the reddish-purple tinge of infrared photography.

It's out there, straight ahead, Starkey thought. Project Blue.

The fright tried to wash over him again. He reached into his pocket and brought out a blue pill. What his daughter would call a "downer." Names didn't matter; results did. He dry-swallowed it, his hard, unseamed face wrinkling for a moment as it went down.

Project Blue.

He looked at the other blank monitors, and then punched up pictures on all of them. 4 and 5 showed labs. 4 was physics, 5 was viral biology. The vi-bi lab was full of animal cages, mostly for guinea pigs, rhesus monkeys, and a few dogs. None of them appeared to be sleeping. In the physics lab a small centrifuge was still turning around and around. Starkey had complained about that. He had complained bitterly. There was something spooky about that centrifuge whirling gaily around and around and around while Dr. Ezwick lay dead on the floor nearby, sprawled out like a scarecrow that had tipped over in a high wind.










DSC06690 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess, 08/18/2022
DSC06691 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess, 08/18/2022
DSC06692 .jpg, by me, Kerry Burgess, 08/18/2022









Star Trek Generations (1994)

(from internet transcript)

[Veridian III mountaintop]

Dr. SORAN: Aren't you beginning to feel time gaining on you? ...It's like a predator. It's stalking you. ...Oh, you can try and outrun it with doctors, medicines, new technologies, but in the end time is going to hunt you down, ...and make the kill.









The Stand - complete edition, by Stephen King

(from internet transcript)

excerpts, Chapter 26

Some campus group, probably either Students for a Democratic Society or the Young Maoists, had been busy with a ditto machine during the night of June 25-26. In the morning, these posters were plastered all over the University of Kentucky at Louisville campus:

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

YOU ARE BEING LIED TO! THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU! THE PRESS, WHICH HAS BEEN CO-OPTED BY THE FORCES OF THE PIG PARAMILITARY, IS LYING TO YOU! THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS UNIVERSITY IS LYING TO YOU, AS ARE THE INFIRMARY DOCTORS UNDER THE ADMINISTRATION’S ORDERS!

1. THERE IS NO SUPERFLU VACCINE.

2. SUPERFLU IS NOT A SERIOUS DISEASE, IT IS A DEADLY DISEASE.

3. SUSCEPTIBILITY MAY RUN AS HIGH AS 75%.

4. SUPERFLU WAS DEVELOPED BY THE FORCES OF THE U.S. PIG PARAMILITARY AND DISBURSED BY ACCIDENT.

5. THE U.S. PIG PARAMILITARY NOW MEANS TO COVER UP THEIR MURDEROUS BLUNDER EVEN IF IT MEANS 75% OF THE POPULATION WILL DIE!

ALL REVOLUTIONARY PEOPLE, GREETINGS! THE TIME OF OUR STRUGGLE IS NOW! UNITE, STRIVE, CONQUER!

MEETING IN GYM AT 7:00 PM!

STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

What happened at WBZ-TV in Boston had been planned the night before by three newscasters and six technicians, all operating in Studio 6. Five of these men played poker regularly, and six of the nine were already ill. They felt they had nothing to lose. They collected nearly a dozen handguns. Bob Palmer, who anchored the morning news, brought them upstairs inside a flight bag where he usually carried his notes, pencils, and several legal-sized notepads.

The entire broadcast facility was cordoned off by what they had been told were National Guardsmen, but as Palmer had told George Dickerson the night before, they were the only over-fifty Guardsmen he had ever seen.

At 9:01 A.M., just after Palmer had begun to read the soothing copy he had been handed ten minutes before by an army noncom, a coup took place. The nine of them effectively captured the television station. The soldiers, who hadn’t expected any real trouble from a soft bunch of civilians accustomed to reporting tragedy at long distance, were taken completely by surprise and disarmed. Other station personnel joined the small rebellion, and cleared the sixth floor quickly and locked all the doors. The elevators were brought to six before the soldiers on the lobby level quite knew what was happening. Three soldiers tried to come up the east fire stairs, and a janitor named Charles Yorkin, armed with an army-issue carbine, fired a shot over their heads. It was the only shot fired.

Viewers in the WBZ-TV broadcast area saw Bob Palmer stop his newscast in the middle of a sentence, and heard him say, “Okay, right now!” There were scuffling sounds off-camera. When it was over, thousands of bemused viewers saw that Bob Palmer was now holding a snub-nosed pistol in his hand.

A hoarse, off-mike voice yelled jubilantly: “We got em, Bob! We got the bastards! We got em all!”

“Okay, that’s good work,” Palmer said. He then faced into the camera again. “Fellow citizens of Boston, and Americans in our broadcast area. Something both grave and terribly important has just happened in this studio, and I am very glad it has happened here first, in Boston, the cradle of American independence. For the last seven days, this broadcast facility has been under guard by men purporting to be National Guardsmen. Men in army khaki, armed with guns, have been standing beside our cameramen, in our control rooms, beside our teletypes. Has the news been managed? I am sorry to say that this is the case. I have been given copy and forced to read it, almost literally with gun to my head. The copy I have been reading has to do with the so-called ‘superflu epidemic,’ and all of it is patently false.”

Lights began to flicker on the switchboard. Within fifteen seconds every light was on.

“Our cameramen have taken film that has either been confiscated or deliberately exposed. Our reporters’ stories have disappeared. Yet we do have film, ladies and gentlemen, and we have correspondents right here in the studio - professional reporters, but eyewitnesses to what may be the greatest disaster this country has ever faced… and I do not use those words lightly. We are going to run some of this film for you now. All of it was taken clandestinely, and some of it is of poor quality. Yet we here, who have just liberated our own television station, think you may see enough. More, indeed, than you might have wished.”

He looked up, took a handkerchief from his sport-coat pocket, and blew his nose. Those with good color TVs could see that he looked flushed and feverish.

“If it’s ready, George, go ahead and run it.”

Palmer’s face was replaced with shots of Boston General Hospital. Wards were crammed. Patients lay on the floors. The halls were full; nurses, many of them obviously sick themselves, wove in and out, some of them weeping hysterically. Others looked shocked to the point of coma.

Shots of guards standing on street corners with cradled rifles. Shots of buildings that had been broken into.

Bob Palmer appeared again. “If you have children, ladies and gentlemen,” he said quietly, “we would advise that you ask them to leave the room.”



- by me, Kerry Wayne Burgess, posted by me: 03:02 AM Pacific-time USA Saturday 01/20/2024