Sunday, November 16, 2014

"Watched by empty silhouettes"




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: July 26, 2006

I was thinking last night about a memory featured prominently in my symbolic memory.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 26 July 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: July 31, 2006


So then I started thinking that my real memories are locked into my symbolic memories of the same time. In other words, what happened to Kerry Burgess in 1981, for instance, has clues to what really happened to me in 1981.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 31 July 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: August 2, 2006


There has got to be other memories that are symbolic of my last few minutes on the Columbia during STS-1, I know they are there, they just won't surface........it's driving me crazy to not know. To know there is something there but can't see it.....


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 02 August 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: August 31, 2006


I was thinking again last night about that American Legion award from my symbolic memory. I received it towards the end of my Junior year at Ashdown. I allegedly went to Iraq in my Junior year at the Academy in 1981. I wonder if it represents the Medal of Honor.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 31 August 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/quotes

IMDb


Falling Down (1993)

Quotes


Bill Foster: I'm goin' home! Clear a path you motherfucker!... Clear a path!










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/1/2006 8:03 PM


This has got to mean something to me the more I think about it. There are just too many details here that are also in my symbolic memory. They encoded these details in my symbolic memory


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 01 September 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 10/29/2006 11:44 PM
The dirt road is symbolic of how no human had ever been out that far before into space.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 29 October 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 12/29/06 7:52 PM
In my "memory," which is symbolic, of 1990


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 29 December 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 04/19/07 1:47 AM
I wonder why I "remember" this group so well. I "remember" they were my favorite group for a long time. I have a lot of "memories" associated with their music and my artificial life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cars_%28album%29

The Cars is the first studio album by American new wave band The Cars, released in 1978.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 April 2007 excerpt ends]










http://besser.tsoa.nyu.edu/impact/f01/Papers/Zeidman/Visual_literacy_and_maps.htm

War is how Americans learn geography:

Visual literacy in a media savvy world

Annie Zeidman

IS 209 (formerly 246)

Fall 2001

Introduction

Most of us have spent quite a lot of time learning to be critical thinkers and readers of text. We need to apply these skills to visual information as well.


Boundary lines

Drawing boundary lines is one of the most powerful aspects of any map. Geography professor Bernard Nietschmann is states that more indigenous territory has been claimed by maps than by guns










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 04:02 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Saturday 28 December 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/12/see-its-this-kind-of-stuff-that-really.html


http://gateworld.net/atlantis/s5/transcripts/510.shtml

GateWorld


FIRST CONTACT

EPISODE NUMBER - 510

DVD DISC - Season 5, Disc 3

ORIGINAL U.S. AIR DATE - 09.26.08


JACKSON: There. That's the hallway. Can you, uh, can you zoom in there?

(Glaring at him for a moment, Rodney types and the image zooms in on three round objects lying on the floor.)

McKAY: There. There are your light fixtures.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 28 December 2013 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 8:34 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Sunday 24 March 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/03/cletus-whats-that-tree-say.html


That's not even a new episode. It's a rebroadcast. First time I have watched it though. I've never watched it until just now a few minutes ago on Seattle air broadcast television.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2013 excerpt ends]










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-simpsons&episode=s24e06

Springfield! Springfield!


The Simpsons

A Tree Grows in Springfield


But come outside and see the miracle.
Has the myPad risen? No, it's still where you buried it.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 09/23/08 9:36 PM
I was steering a boat along a river that looked kind of green and then I came to a point where I had to drag the pontoon boat onto the ground because the river seemed to end. I could see a large lake off to the right but I could not figure out how to get there with the boat. The river seemed to have stopped very near to a cliff as I could see the cliff I was standing at and that lake was at a much lower elevation than I was at. I don't know where the water was going. I didn't see a waterfall. I guess the river channel had just stopped and it was some kind back-channel that was not flowing.




http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091763/quotes

Memorable quotes for

Platoon (1986)


Chris Taylor: [narrating] Well, here I am, anonymous all right. With guys nobody really cares about. They come from the end of the line, most of 'em. Small towns you never heard of: Pulaski, Tennessee; Brandon, Mississippi; Pork Van, Utah; Wampum, Pennsylvania. Two years' high school's about it, maybe if they're lucky a job waiting for them back at a factory, but most of 'em got nothing. They're poor, they're the unwanted, yet they're fighting for our society and our freedom. It's weird, isn't it? They're the bottom of the barrel and they know it. Maybe that's why they call themselves grunts, cause a grunt can take it, can take anything. They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 23 September 2008 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/trivia

IMDb


The Final Countdown (1980)

Quotes


Pearl Harbor Radio Operator: Alright, whoever the hell you are. Use of military frequencies by unauthorized personnel is a felony.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 2:58 PM Saturday, March 24, 2012


I was thinking about a dream I had just before waking up this morning and I decided to go for it and see if that dream was relevant to associations with today's date. The associations are compelling and the details I describe about the dream this morning are details really from a dream when I was asleep this morning. I had not checked on any of the associating details until I had been up and after I thought about it while taking a shower. I didn't make the association in my mind with the symbols I saw in the dream to my United States Navy Cross medal until after I got out of the shower and sat down at my desk to think more about it.

The dream I awoke from had me in some kind of residential building. I was sitting in a hallway outside a door of an apartment or condo and I was waiting for other people to join me. We were there to visit my grandmother. Earlier, I had seen myself as a passenger in a car and I had a guitar and I forget the precise dialog I had with the woman who was driving, while other passengers sat in the backseat, but I was trying to match the radio signal on the radio inside my guitar with the radio broadcast from the radio in the dashboard of the car we were riding in. So the sequence of the dream seemed to go from that car, where I recall details about the traffic on the highway, to me sitting in that hallway in that building. At some point, when I was in that hallway, I noticed something unusual about the bottom of my hallux toe on one of my feet. There was indentations on it and I was studying that detail. I noted that the indications formed a perfect 'plus sign.' My first thought was that it was something to do with ions, the negatively charged atoms or molecules. As I was sitting there in that hallway, I said something about those symbols on my toe and I saw "Oscar Goldman" in the only appearance in the dream, ask me "What does that mean?" or "What does that matter?" I forget his precise question. I thought also that looking at the plus signs from an angle, and there was more than one, then it resembled the lowercase letter 'x.' I looked in my shoe to see if something in there had caused it but there was nothing. That seemed to be the point where the people I had been traveling with earlier then arrived in the hallway, and I think they came up via elevator or stairwell, which is a detail I cannot recall, and we were going to then go into my grandmother's home to visit with her. So when I saw the other people arriving, I got up and went the other direction in the hallway and to a door that was close by and that was open and I saw my first knocking on the door and I heard myself calling out words similar to, "Grandma, are you home?" Then I saw a woman come around the corner in her apartment and to the door and I knew right away I was knocking on the wrong door because she wasn't my grandmother and in the dream she was a woman I had never seen before.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2012 excerpt ends]










http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/talkingheads/onceinalifetime.html


TALKING HEADS


"Once In A Lifetime"

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!
Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground.

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground.

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...










http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/spokane-county/2014/11/11/winds-snap-trees-and-knock-out-power-in-north-spokane/18847467/

KREM2


Winds snap trees and knock out power in North Spokane

Hayley Guenthner and KREM Staff, KREM.com 8:08 a.m. PST November 11, 2014

SPOKANE, Wash. - High winds Tuesday morning caused damage, leaving more than a hundred people without power in a North Spokane neighborhood.

Avista Utilities said 137 people near North Downriver Drive and North Columbia Circle lost power due to a downed power line.

Cold temperatures and strong winds caused trees to snap,leaving debris all over the street, according to Avista.

Crews said the down trees took out a power line, knocking out power to those in the area.

Avista crews said they know they are in for a busy day because of the winds.



































DSC06223.JPG










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas


Arkansas

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arkansas is a state located in the Southern region of the United States.


Etymology

The name Arkansas derives from the same root as the name for the state of Kansas. The Kansa tribe of Native Americans are closely associated with the Sioux tribes of the Great Plains. The word "Arkansas" itself is a French pronunciation ("Arcansas") of a Quapaw (a related "Kaw" tribe) word, akakaze, meaning "land of downriver people" or the Sioux word akakaze meaning "people of the south wind".











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?q=North+Columbia+Circle,+Spokane,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.6703,-117.448311&spn=0.027136,0.066047&sll=47.682205,-117.44153&sspn=0.054029,0.164795&oq=North+Columbia+Circle&hnear=N+Columbia+Cir,+Spokane,+Washington+99205&t=h&z=15

Google Maps


Spokane Washington State USA



































DSC06229.JPG



































DSC06232.JPG



































DSC06266.JPG










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 09/23/08 9:47 PM
I have been trying hard to remember the part of the dream that leads up to the point I remember dreaming about but as usual I cannot remember. The first part I remember is that I was steering the pontoon boat along the river and I seemed to be alone but details from later in the dream suggest I was not. On the bank to the right, I saw a group of people and there might have been another river channel leading off in that direction that they were on. I remember a woman saying "How dare you" but I don't know who she was referring to and I cannot actually remember seeing her. One person in the group started swimming in the river and crossed behind the boat towards the other side. Then there was something about a sign posted in the middle of the river channel that cautioned about a buried cable and then something about how people seldom used caution about that particular buried cable or about any other buried cable. I am not certain if the detail I heard from some unseen person was about that particular buried cable or about how people seldom use caution with buried cables in general. I might have cranked up the speed right about then but I am fuzzy on that part. The next part I remember was about dragging the boat out of the water and after being awake for a while I started to wonder if that has something to do with the portage area I was reviewing all those times at Allyn, Washington, but I do not think that is it although it could be some general reference to portage for boat. But I don't know. I don't think that is it.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 23 September 2008 excerpt ends]










1980 film "The Final Countdown" DVD movie:


Samuel S. Chapman: This is, uh, Senator Samuel S. Chapman of the United States Senate onboard the aircraft carrier Nimitz. Captain Yelland is here with me.

US Navy radio operator: You're on what?

Samuel S. Chapman: I am Senator Samuel S. Chapman onboard the USS Nimitz.

US Navy radio operator: All right, whoever the hell you are use of military frequencies by unauthorized personnel is a felony.

Samuel S. Chapman: Now just a minute here, sir.

US Navy radio operator: As we have no aircraft carrier Nimitz and no Captain Yelland I suggest asshole, that you stop impersonating some other asshole and get off the air. You're wasting our time.

Samuel S. Chapman: How dare you talk to me that way! Captain, tell him who you are. Speak to them!











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.661684,-117.414279&spn=0.004364,0.008256&t=h&z=18

Google Maps

Spokane Washington State USA










http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jun/21/senator-sam-guess-did-things-his-way-for-24-years/

The Spokesman-Review


June 21, 2014 in City

Senator Sam Guess did things his way for 24 years

Jim Camden The Spokesman-Review

Thousands of motorists crossing the Spokane River on Division Street each day probably pay scant attention to the sign that marks the span as the Senator Sam C. Guess Memorial Bridge. Among those who notice, many probably wonder, “Sam who?”

Senator Sam, as he was often called, was a tall, rangy man with close-cropped hair and a Mississippi drawl that made one think of grits for breakfast and sweet tea on the veranda in the afternoon. The drawl surprised some Spokane newcomers the first time they heard their legislator speak and made colleagues listen carefully when he talked about the Fast Flux Reactor at Hanford, fearful he might minimize the “l.”

When election time came around every four years, Sam and his wife, Dorothy, pedaled their bicycles around the district to campaign. They biked frequently between campaign cycles, too – so frequently that Guess once confided in a Senate colleague he was a bit embarrassed to admit he preferred Japanese bicycle tires to American-made because he got a couple thousand more miles out of the imports. The colleague was amazed, saying he’d never heard of anyone wearing out a bike tire, but Guess assured him he did.

The 6th was a good conservative Republican district, and Senator Sam was a good conservative Republican who represented his district for 24 years. He once was described as a “No” man for voting against most state budgets and increases in taxes – although he did eventually soften that to support some local projects like the Valley sewer, the county jail and some buildings at Eastern Washington University. A conservative’s conservative, said moderate Republican Dan Evans, who was governor for half of Guess’ tenure and clashed with him often.

But there came a day when Senator Sam wasn’t conservative enough. It was 1986, and conservative Christians – some of whom had gravitated to the Republican Party fresh from the anti-abortion picket lines – wanted to impose a “pro-life” orthodoxy on the party and its platform.

Guess faced re-election that year, and at 76 years old, some people said he was not up to it. Feeling fine, thank you, he said. Some said he couldn’t win a primary against former city councilman-turned-state representative Jim West, who was sounding out people about running for the Senate. Guess had a poll that said he could beat West, a former protégé he took to calling an “upstart.”

Like all elected GOP officials, Senator Sam got invited to address the county convention one Saturday morning that May. For the first time in years he hadn’t been elected at the precinct caucus as a delegate, so he watched from the balcony as the convention started on the floor below. At past conventions he’d known just about everyone in the room; that morning he knew 15, maybe 20.

When his time came to speak, he dropped the bomb that he wouldn’t run for re-election. He wasn’t sticking around for the rest of the convention, he added, but didn’t want to read in the paper the next morning that they had a knock-down, drag-out fight over abortion. And he left.

“You could have heard a pin drop,” he said later with a satisfied chuckle.

The rock-ribbed Republican, the conservative’s conservative, later told the newspaper something that stunned many Spokane political cognoscenti: He was “pro-choice.” Maybe not Betty Freidan/Planned Parenthood pro-choice, but he thought there might be times when abortion was the best option, like in cases of rape or incest.

“It’s between a person and his God,” Senator Sam said. When that quote was in the paper, some more traditional abortion-rights supporters called to question Guess’ use of pronouns, insisting he should have said “between a person and her God.” But he wasn’t being sexist. He was just old-school with his grammar, like he was with everything else.

So Senator Sam quit without warning or regret. West won the election that fall, holding the seat until 2003, when he was elected mayor of Spokane. Guess died in 1989, and a year later the Legislature voted to name the Division Street Bridge for him when the state finished a $7.7 million reconstruction of the 73-year-old span.

The bridge is less imposing, some might say less pretentious, than the Monroe Street Bridge to the west; it’s a functional span of concrete and steel that an engineer like its namesake could appreciate.

It was said of Guess that he never met a stretch of highway he wouldn’t support. While that may be a bit of an overstatement, he did spend years on the transportation committee deciding which highways should be built or widened, and in his 60s developed a road surfacing compound while studying for his master’s degree. Naming a bridge in his honor seems appropriate, as long as Spokane remembers the man that goes with the name.











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.662605,-117.414156&spn=0.001091,0.002064&t=h&z=20

Google Maps

Spokane Washington State USA




















http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7593804206_70337ec022_z.jpg




















http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Upper_Spokane_Falls_20080524.jpg











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.661135,-117.410804&spn=0.001151,0.002064&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=47.661063,-117.41106&panoid=U6dv2kGu06_h9XypdYoJqg&cbp=12,338.09,,0,-4.2

Google Maps


378 US-395, Spokane, Washington, United States
Address is approximate










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Final_Countdown_The_1980_CD1.html


Final Countdown The


Eagle Control, Alert 1. They're making another run.
Jesus! They'll shoot that damn yacht to pieces!
Request permission to arm and fire.
- For God sakes, Skipper... - Negative.
- Charlie? Charlie! - No, Laurel! Not now!
Come on! Those planes are coming in! Come on!
Let's go! Come on, Harvey!
Eagle Control, they blew it to bits. They must've hit the fuel tank!
- Any survivors? - Stand by.
Affirmative. One, two, three Mae Wests!
Hey, wait a minute! Those bastards are turning back!
They're gonna strafe them in the water! Request permission to fire.
This is Eagle 1. You are cleared to arm, but do not fire.
Throw them off, play with them, but don't fire.
Affirmative.
- Sam! Sam. - All right. It's all right. I'm all right.
Look up!
Oh, no! They're coming again!
Harvey! Get that life preserver off and dive!
I can't swim!



































the_final_countdown_00_45_38 DSC06453.JPG










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Final_Countdown_The_1980_CD1.html


Final Countdown The


Boss, I told you. I tried and tried, and I can't get Carmichael to go to sleep.
Rochester, that polar bear's got to go to sleep.
- He's supposed to hibernate. - Jack Benny?
Where is he now?
Sittin'up in bed, readin' Esquire.
Esquire? Well, take it away from him.
Oh, come now, boss. He's been around.
Lloyd, tape and monitor all transmissions.
Ops, I want a closer look on all air, surface and subsurface contacts
within 250 miles of this ship.
Dick, put some tankers and a medium-sized strike force on a 30-minute alert.
- Aye, aye, sir. - Any questions?
Skipper, the ship is still at general quarters. Request permission to go to condition 3.
Granted. I'll be on the Bridge. I want answers.



































the_final_countdown_00_28_31 DSC06452.JPG



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 09:30 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 16 November 2014