Thursday, July 07, 2016

La ArkLaTex





























2016_Nk20_DSCN3089.jpg










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=39932

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Proclamation 5194 - Missing Children Day, 1984

May 15, 1984

By the President of the United States of America

A Proclamation

Each year hundreds of thousands of American families face the stark terror of a unique tragedy—that of a missing child. Our children are our most precious resource—they are the bond that binds our past with the future. It is for them that we struggle to build a better world. They are the embodiment of our hopes and dreams. To have a child simply disappear strikes an incalculable blow against the spirit and soul of any family so afflicted.

In our efforts to address the nightmare of missing children, 1984 marks the year of a significant step forward. The Department of Justice has awarded a $3.3 million grant to establish a National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Its purpose is to aid parents and law enforcement agencies in locating missing youngsters and preventing the exploitation of children. By collecting and disseminating information regarding missing young people, the Center will lend major support to those searching for their children.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41353

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at La Esquina de Tejas Restaurant in Miami, Florida

May 20, 1983

Thank you all. Thank you all very much, and let me reassure you, I know that some of you will probably be present in a little while when I've got to make a speech, so I won't make two of them, or I won't make the one twice. [Laughter]

But I just want to say, again, this hospitality and the warmth of your greeting and all is a very heartfelt experience for me. I'm grateful to all of you. I'm also more full than I should be. [Laughter] But it was wonderful.

And I can't help but think, though, seriously, how much of the problem that's on all of our minds, how much of it is evident-there is a sermon or a speech in the menu, because is there anyplace in Cuba, outside of maybe the Presidential Palace, where that menu could still be served? [Applause]

Just before boarding the plane this morning I was handed a little report, and Cuba is not even able to meet its quota now for its customers in its principal crop, sugar. And I've been told since I've been here, they're importing that. And if ever there was an explanation of the difference between freedom and what they now have there, it's all told in what we've been eating here in the menu, because that's no longer available there.

And if I go on any longer, I will be making the speech that I'm going to make later. So, I better not do that. [Laughter] But thank you all very much. Thank you.

Note: The President spoke at 12:35 p.m. following lunch at the restaurant.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41358

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Address at Commencement Exercises at Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey

May 21, 1983

I've been sitting here as the protocol was recognized of acknowledging all those distinguished people who are here, and then, before I could think of anything proper to maybe avoid that, Pearl Bailey, as she has done to so many for so many years, topped anything that I could think of. Ditto. [Laughter]










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=an-officer-and-a-gentleman

Springfield! Springfield!


An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)


[ Byron Mayo: ] Bet you didn't get it on like that in that jerkwater college of yours. How long you going to hang around Seattle?

[ Zack Mayo: ] Get ready. This one will blow you away.

[ Byron Mayo: ] Nothing you do is ever going to surprise me.






























phoebe-bailey_2016July07.jpg










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41348

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Message on the Observance of Armed Forces Day

May 19, 1983

The 34th observance of Armed Forces Day on May 21, 1983, provides all Americans the opportunity to honor the dedicated men and women who serve in our nation's military services.

Over the years, those wearing the uniforms of our services have played a critical role in the preservation of America's security and freedom. They continue to do so. While enduring the hardships of family separation and service in faraway lands, they stand ready to ensure the security of our country and the preservation of freedom in peace. In observing this year's Armed Forces Day, we should make special note of our Armed Forces in the Middle East and elsewhere whose contributions and sacrifices give hope for a more peaceful tomorrow.

The pride in service to our country is expressed not only by dedication to military duties but also by service to fellow citizens. Wherever they are stationed, our military forces have earned respect and admiration for freely volunteering their time and energies to help their neighbors. They are loyal citizens of their nation, good neighbors in their communities, and courageous defenders of our way of life.

We are blessed to live in a society that fosters such unselfish service. On this special day, let us all join in expressing our gratitude and appreciation to our fellow countrymen and women who serve so nobly in the Armed Forces.

RONALD REAGAN










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=41358

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Address at Commencement Exercises at Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey

May 21, 1983


And I was fortunate. A man who had survived the Great Depression until then, and was doing well out in the business world, gave me some advice. He said, "Look, I could tell you that maybe I could speak to someone and they might give you a job. But," he said, "they'd only do it because of me." And then he said, "They wouldn't have a particular interest in you." He said, "May I tell you that even in the depths of this depression," and so I will say to you even in the depths of this recession, there are people out there who know that the future is going to depend on taking young people into whatever their undertaking is and starting them out so that—whether it's business, industry, or whatever it might be—it will continue on.

"Now," he said, "a salesman has to knock on a lot of doors before he makes a sale. So," he said, "if you will make up your mind what line of work you want to be in, what industry, what business, whatever it is, profession or other," he said, "and then start knocking on doors, eventually you'll come to one of those men or women who feels that way. And all you have to do-don't ask for the particular job you want; tell them you'll take any job in that industry or that business, whatever it may be, because you believe in it and its future and you'll take your chances on progressing from there."










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=37519

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at a Senate Campaign Fund-raising Dinner for Jim Santini in Las Vegas, Nevada

June 25, 1986


Earlier this month I visited some young marines going through boot camp in—well, I was first of all, before I say that I want to tell you that one of the most heartening trends, I think, are the young people. And God love them, they're with us. I've seen them all over the country, and just a few days ago I was at a high school in New Jersey. And the energy and optimism of this generation is infectious. And then, I tell you, earlier this month I visited some young marines going through boot camp in Parris Island, South Carolina. And they are really great. Their commanding officer, a general, will be retiring at the end of the month. And he told me that in all his years in the military, he has never seen young people of greater quality than those that are in the uniform today. And I found myself remembering-and if you'll permit me to use a bit of profanity, but I'm quoting accurately-back in World War II someone asked General George Marshall if we had a secret weapon, and he said, "Yes, the best damn kids in the world." Well, I can tell you, after what I've seen of today's youth and those in uniform today, the Commander in Chief can say the same thing that George Marshall said, and I do say it about those young people of ours. There's never been a higher quality in our military than we're seeing today.












https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KVj2vVxUs

You Tube



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 08:39 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Thursday 07 July 2016