Tuesday, October 21, 2008

So that explains that.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE:

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:51:02 -0800 (PST)
From: "Kerry Burgess"
Subject: Re: Sleep journal - 2/9/06
To: "Kerry Burgess"


Kerry Burgess wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=foreign

foreign

Situated in an abnormal or improper place in the body and typically introduced from outside: a foreign object in the eye

relating to or originating in or characteristic of another place

not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something

not belonging to that in which it is contained; introduced from an outside source


Kerry Burgess wrote:

Only remember a brief part of my dreams last night. It feels like there was more dreaming but I can only remember what seems like the last part. This felt like a normal dream and not one that was what I consider "suggested" or "manipulated." This recent dream was of me sitting in a room with three other guys. We were all wearing U.S. Navy uniforms and it seemed to be some kind of waiting room. I was enroute to a new assignment, a ship somewhere. One of the guys seemed to be a CPO, another was a LT. The third guy was a buddy of mine from the Wainwright, except that the uniform he was wearing was only similar to a U.S. Navy uniform but really wasn't. I walked out of the room with someone that I don't think was one of the first group. I was walking down some stairs.

My sleep pattern has changed over the past few days since I haven't experienced one of the foreign dreams. I am sleeping later. For the first time in a long time, I didn't get up to watch the 5 a.m. news, which is a bummer, but in all reality is a silly thing to feel bad about anyway.





JOURNAL ARCHIVE:

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:43:51 -0800 (PST)

From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Sleep journal 2/14/06

To: "Kerry Burgess"

Funny how I don't remember any dreams last night or this morning. I slept about 3 or 4 hours late in the evening and then a few hours later this morning. I don't remember anything. And then there is the way the few foreign dreams I've had lately seemed to be quieter, as if the manipulators were almost whispering or they were transmitting with a lower power setting. I do remember waking up at one point where it sounded like someone was telling Donald Pleasance that he had a taxi waiting for him downstairs to take him to the airport. Pleasance was the guy who was chasing that guy around in those Halloween movies. He also played a blind guy trying to escape from a WW2 German POW camp.





JOURNAL ARCHIVE:

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:28:21 -0800 (PST)
From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Sleep journal 3/19/06
To: "Kerry Burgess"

Yesterday was some kind of foreign dream that was more of an emotion than a visualization. I couldn't remember any of the details although I felt like I had been seeing details. All I remembered was feeling like it was something intense, there was some intensity to the communication, almost overwhelming like a very strong and clear signal on a radio. After I woke up, I could only characterize the message as positive.

Today the first foreign dream wasn't too clear either. It had something to do with me, someother characters, and something about the stars. We were under the stars, or we were talking to the stars. I can visualize the sky with the stars but they may have also been a metaphor for people. Then I left somewhere and there was something about a goose, not sure what that meant, maybe something to do with staying meant something about a cooked goose.

The second foreign dream had a lot of detail. I was sitting on a bus with someone that I knew but I don't know who it was. It may have been Britney Spears but that makes no sense. I was sitting next to her and she was someone that I had lived with before, someone I had a relationship with, like a girlfriend. I was getting off the bus to a place I was staying that I don't recognize from anyplace I've been in real life. She asked me if I was really staying there, she may have commented that it was amazing I was staying there, or someone else said that. Apparently, it was the same place she and I had lived during our relationship. It was some kind of little travel trailer. A young woman was letting me stay there. I was taking up a little open seat or bench in a hallway of the trailer. I had a little storage bin to put my stuff in.















http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.evaprep.html#1082835

EVA Preparations


108:28:35 Aldrin: Lean forward. (Red Apple) Locked. (Pause) Position mikes. (Long Pause) Sure wished I'd shaved last night. (Pause) Okay; we need the helmets. Got your mikes where you want them? (Long Pause)

[They each have a pair of mikes as part of the "Snoopy cap" or, more formally, the "Communications Carrier". "Snoopy" is Charlie Brown's beagle in the comic strip "Peanuts" drawn by Charles Schulz. Journal Contributor Ulli Lotzmann had discussions with Ernie Reyes in mid-2000 about Snoopy's association with Apollo. Reyes was Chief of the Pre-Flight Operations Branch at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston during Apollo; and Lotzmann reports that Reyes, Wayne Stallard and others drew little cartoons on the daily schedules to make them more interesting. The Reyes Snoopy, who looks a little bit different to the Schultz-Snoopy as can be seen from examples in the Apollo 12 cuff checklists, became popular with the Astronaut Corps. Because the cartoons were never intended for commercial publication, Reyes never asked Schultz for permission to use the character. After the Apollo 1 fire, Snoopy became the symbol of the revitalized NASA safety program.]

[Getting back to the subject of the "Snoopy cap", in the Schulz comic strip, Snoopy often fantasized that he was a World War I flying ace and, while in that fantasy, wore a leather flying helmet. This and the fact that the Apollo Snoopy caps were dark-brown & white may explain why they were named "Snoopy" caps. Post-EVA photo A11-37-5528 is an excellent picture of a very pleased Neil Armstrong in full Snoopy regalia after the EVA. Journal Contributor Markus Mehring notes that the names "Snoopy" and "Charlie Brown" where also used for the Apollo 10 Command Module and Lunar Module, respectively. The Apollo 17 crew named a large crater in Snoopy's honor.]

[Note that, in the following, they get Buzz into his helmet first, as per checklist.]





http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/

One Small Step


109:23:38 Armstrong: I'm at the foot of the ladder. The LM footpads are only depressed in the surface about 1 or 2 inches, although the surface appears to be very, very fine grained, as you get close to it. It's almost like a powder. (The) ground mass is very fine. (Pause)

[Just before Neil's next transmission, as a result of Buzz's changes to the 16-mm camera settings and Neil's position on the footpad, the film record shows the LEC attached to the front of Neil's suit. We can see reflections in the LMP's window of what appear to be parts of Buzz's suit as he changes the camera settings and monitors Neil's activities. Ken Glover has grabbed a frame from the 16-mm film.]

109:24:13 Armstrong: I'm going to step off the LM now. (Long Pause)

[Neil has his right hand on the ladder and will step down with his left foot, leaving his right foot on the footpad. As he reaches down with his foot, the 16-mm film indicates that there isn't much slack in the LEC. (See a full discussion linked here. ) In the TV record, the LEC is just barely visible against the black sky.]

109:24:48 Armstrong: That's one small step for (a) man; one giant leap for mankind.















JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 02/21/08 4:03 AM

I had a dream the other night where I heard someone that I could not see make a comment that I would make a good CAG.

I was on an aircraft carrier and I did not recognize any of the surrounding, as I pondered over the dream after waking up.

I do remember something about the USS Carl Vinson CVN-70, as I remember seeing those words on a cap someone was wearing, but something was wrong about that. The hull number might have been wrong on the cap or something else was wrong about those details in the dream.

In the dream, I told the Captain of the aircraft carrier that I had two A-6 Intruders holding near a ship that had navigated close to us and the Captain told me to bring them back. I can still almost hear the engine noises of those jets and I am not certain if maybe it is a noise I heard while in one of those jets during an experience relevant to the details in that dream.

I am not certain when I had that dream. A few days ago I guess. There were other details that I pondered over after waking up but that I do not remember now.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 02/21/08 4:10 AM
At the point in the dream after the Captain told me to recall the Intruders was when I heard the comment, as though from some external source to my sleeping mind, that I would make a good CAG.










http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.evaprep.html#1082835

EVA Preparations


108:28:35 Aldrin: Lean forward. (Red Apple) Locked. (Pause) Position mikes. (Long Pause) Sure wished I'd shaved last night. (Pause) Okay; we need the helmets. Got your mikes where you want them? (Long Pause)

[They each have a pair of mikes as part of the "Snoopy cap" or, more formally, the "Communications Carrier".










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 02/21/08 4:10 AM

At the point in the dream after the Captain told me to recall the Intruders was when I heard the comment, as though from some external source to my sleeping mind, that I would make a good CAG.