Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The end of the world




http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=38784&st=&st1=

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks Announcing the Establishment of the Blue Ribbon Commission on Defense Management

June 17, 1985

Ladies and gentlemen, during the past 4 years we have made great progress in rebuilding our national defense and in confronting the challenge of effective defense management. Credit rightly goes to our civilian defense leadership, particularly Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger. It also goes to our men and women in uniform and to the American people for their support in our efforts.

We've accomplished a great deal, and we have much to be proud of, but there's still a great deal left to do. When our administration began its activities, the problem of defense management we knew would be demanding and difficult, almost as difficult as I had getting that sentence out. [Laughter] There were various barriers to efficient management, including legislative barriers, that stubbornly defied our efforts to remove them. And that's why I appointed an individual with unmatched management credentials when I appointed Cap Weinberger. And while overseeing our much-needed buildup of our defensive strength, Cap has done a tremendous job at ferreting out waste and fraud. That's one of the reasons why you hear about it in the news.

But a public misconception has developed from all of this, a misconception born, at least in part, of a drumbeat of propaganda and demagoguery that denies the real accomplishment of these last 4 years. The situation reminds me of the old saying, "Don't clean the skeletons out of the closet. They'll accuse you of murder."










}}}}} JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Sleep journal 2/24/06

I remember only one scene from my dreams last night. It was of looking down into a paper bag that had a cat in it. I am confused about whether the dream was from the perspective of my eyes or whether I was the cat. Maybe both. I remember the cat was really pissed off. I remember seeing what would seem to be my arm reaching into the bag to pet the cat. I don't know if it occurred during the dream or after I woke up, but I remember thinking how that seemed like a bad idea. I remember a voice saying something about how it just wanted to pet the cat, but I am uncertain whether the voice was saying "I" or "We" to indicate whether it was me talking to the cat or whether the spectators were talking to me, respectively. I awoke with a relevant lyric fragment playing in my head, but I don't remember it now.

{{{{{










2008 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" DVD movie:

00:49:28


Jacob Benson: What do you think?

Klaatu: Of what?

Jacob Benson: Should people run, or should we stay and fight?

Klaatu: Neither.

Jacob Benson: What should we do then?

Klaatu: There's nothing you can do. This is it. Pull in here.

Dr. Helen Benson: McDonald's? Where are you going? Jacob, where are you going?

Jacob Benson: To the bathroom.


00:51:07

Klaatu: He's here.










http://www.cswap.com/1991/Flight_of_the_Intruder/cap/en/2_Parts/b/00_03

Flight of the Intruder


:03:02
If we just knew where that was.

:03:04
People's Resistance Park,
Park of the People.

:03:06
It's there somewhere.

:03:07
So that's the Land of Oz.

:03:57
Need some help?

:03:58
No.

:03:59
Red River, Paul Doumier Bridge.

:04:02
Then you follow the main
boulevard, you go right to it.

:04:06
People's Resistance Park.

:04:08
It's right across the square
from the national assembly.

:04:12
SAM City, man.

:04:15
You guys must be nuts.

:04:17
The air force won't give me
any pictures of downtown.

:04:20
I'd have to send for 'em.

:04:21
That would be like
robbing a bank

:04:23
and using your own car
for the getaway.





http://www.cswap.com/1991/Flight_of_the_Intruder/cap/en/2_Parts/b/00_05

Flight of the Intruder


:05:00
We're never going to get
another chance like this.

:05:03
You guys are crazy, man.

:05:04
You're never going
to frigging make it.

:05:07
Yeah!

:05:10
I get good vibes.

:05:26
Well, it looks like
we got Indian country ahead.

:05:30
We are coasting.

:05:31
Black Eagle,
Devil 5-0-5-- feet dry.

:05:35
Roger, 5-0-5.

:05:37
Good hunting, gentlemen.










http://www.cswap.com/1986/Heartbreak_Ridge/cap/en/25fps/a/01_27

Heartbreak Ridge


1:27:50
- I hate social functions.
- You're going to love it.

1:27:53
Your presence is requested
at the MAU Commander's open house.

1:27:56
- Full military dress.
- Piss on that.

1:27:59
You'll be there,
Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway.

1:28:01
Stand tall, look sharp,
and wear all your ribbons...

1:28:04
...so these people can see
a hero who isn't dead.

[ Stand tall and look sharp so they can see a hero who isn't bleeding to death ](DVD)

1:28:07
- Let's find the bar.
- Good idea.

1:28:11
How are you this evening? Thank you.

1:28:15
I'm privileged to greet
a Medal of Honor winner.

1:28:18
Thank you, sir.

1:28:20
Run into any cluster fucks lately?

1:28:25
No. Not lately, sir.

1:28:27
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the party.

1:28:32
I love to see the brass snap to attention
when they see that little ribbon.

1:28:36
What do you do at a party like this,
stick out your little pinkie?

1:28:40
Just don't unzip and stick Old Blue out.

1:28:43
Didn't J.J. Johnson do that at
a WAVE party in San Diego?

1:28:46
No! That was me. J.J. Mooned
the ARVN General at China Beach.

1:28:52
Let's drink a toast to J.J. And
all of the pieces of him we couldn't find.