Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Charleston




For the past day or two or so I have been giving more thought into trying to remember what I was doing in July 1989. The closest I could come to is that I went to see the new "Batman" movie in the theatre and so that must have been the second half of June 1989. I could still find that theatre on the map if I looked and I have written about it before because I remember that I got back to my apartment and I noticed I had lost my wallet from my back pocket. I drove back to the theatre and asked them to let me look and try to find it and I felt lucky that I did find it in one of the seats, even though I was not really certain where I had been sitting. I thought about that again a few days ago because something similar happened, as I was reading the paperback, to one of the characters in the Stephen King "The Stand." I think that was the "Larry Underwood" character who helped a woman find her missing purse in a movie theatre and they started dating after that.

The reason I decided to make this report now is because several minutes I remembered how back in 1989 my roommate was going on for a while about how I had changed and he went on about it enough times for me to remember that. I also distinctly remember he compared my change, which wasn't much more than me listening to music other than country and western music, to those "pod people" from those two films "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

He and I were both in the US Navy back then but after we returned to Charleston SC from the Persian Gulf in July 1988 we were going to be in port for a while so he suggested we rent an apartment offbase. I was glad to have some privacy in the days when I did not have to stay on the ship for duty although we did have to go into work every day during the weekdays. So I remember going to see "Batman" in the theatre because his girlfriend was visiting from their hometown in Hollywood Florida and there was one time they suggested we go to see a movie and that was my suggestion on what to go see. They didn't really want to see it, I could tell, but they were polite and went to see it, too.

I was trying to remember when I stayed onshore when the ship left on a short deployment to sea but I don't recall when that was. I stayed back on shore because I had a doctor's appointment at the Navy hospital and that was scheduled for when the ship would be out to sea. The appointment was, I recall, a followup appointment for surgery I had on my leg at the Navy hospital. I seemed to be up and around fairly well by then although there was still a lot of pain in my leg. I remember thinking about how that surgery was scheduled close to April 18th in 1989 and I also remember later thinking about how that surgery might have been on the same day of that gun turret explosion on that one US Navy battleship. I think that was the USS Iowa. So that follow up appointment could have been in July 1989. I remember that since the ship was going to be gone for a while I was assigned to a temporary duty assignment in an office on the US Navy Charleston base, as I have written about before. I worked in there during the day and then went back to my offbase apartment in the evening. I remember talking with those other sailors in that office about how I was planning to not reenlist when my six-year enlistment ended in 1990 and they were quizzing me about what kind of job skills I had in order to find work after I got out of the US Navy. I can still see myself crumpling up those documents and dropping them into those burn bags.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/24/07 3:52 AM
I find myself thinking of some "memories" of when I was assigned to the USS Wainwright. The ship had left port for a short regional deployment and I stayed back because I had a medical appointment on base. Or something like that. Not really sure why I didn't leave with the ship but it was because of some appointment on base. After that appointment, there was a period before the ship was due back when I was assigned to work in an office there on base. I liked the assignment because I had to wear my dress uniform and I liked that because I got to wear all my ribbons. I didn't have any ribbons until we were in the Persian Gulf and so most of my ribbons were from that Operation Praying Mantis combat engagement. There were two other petty officers in the office; they might have been CPO's, but maybe Petty Officer First Class's. They didn't really have any work for me to do in there so they had me crumpling up pages of documents that were going into a burn bag because they were classified. They told me to take my time and pace myself because they didn't have any other work for me but I "remember" that I went through all the documents too soon and then didn't have anything to do. But then I was watching one of them typing up some regular report on a computer and he didn't know how to touch type so I volunteered to type it for him. I think the word processor was Gemstar. He told me I had saved him a lot of time. I had to leave and report back to the Wainwright the next day I think.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2007 excerpt ends ]










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/T/Timecop_1994.html

Timecop


- Good afternoon, gentlemen.|- George. Welcome.
Gene. Senator Nelson, this is|T.E.C. Director Matuzak.
Senator Nelson is the newest member|of the oversight committee.
Since he's gonna be voting|on your budget...
he'd like to see how it's spent.
Senator McComb,|our long-standing committee chairman...
agreed to take time out from his|presidential campaign to accompany us.
Senator.
Well. Be a pleasure|to show you around.
Are these all of your agents?
Most of 'em. Agent Monroe.|Agent Anderson.
Agents Burr, Bartolo and Shepherd.
- Agent Walker.|- Agent Walker.
I've heard a great deal about you.
- And I've heard a lot about you.|- Not all of it bad, I hope.
Agent Walker just returned|from a successful mission.
Well, congratulations,|Agent Walker.
Senator, now Director Matuzak|will show you the launch room.
Follow me.|I'll show you where we kick off.
You wouldn't mind|if Agent Walker accompanied us?
I'd love to hear about|his most recent mission.
- I have a report to file.|- Agent Walker would be delighted.
All units switch to TEC channel three.
All units switch|to TEC channel three.
As you can see,|we've spared every expense.
No comfort, no convenience,|no necessities. Watch your head.
So, Agent Walker,|who were you after?
A man named Atwood.|Ring a bell?
Atwood. No.|Should that name be familiar to me?