Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tiger




She definitely lived in Arlington Heights and I know that because after we started dating I traveled to their condo several times while I was attending the United States Navy Fire Controlman "A" school near North Chicago in Great Lakes Illinois.

I "remember" one time, and that much have been my 2 November 1986 birthday because I never went back there after I left soon after in November 1986 for thirty days leave in Arkansas, she and her mother presented a birthday cake to me at their condo in Arlington Heights.

I don't recall if I told them what my favorite brand of cake was although I did like strawberry cake but I am not certain if I told her that was my favorite. Maybe I did. I can't recall. I'm not certain if I ever would have said that strawberry cake was my favorite type of birthday cake or any type of cake and I cannot recall if she even asked me about that. If I did tell her that then I was not expecting the cake they had for me. The cake, which might have been white cake, contained full strawberries within the cake. I liked it but the full strawberries was unusual and I don't think I had ever seen that before so I "remember" it now.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: dated 2006


I was remembering a time before I left Great Lakes, that would have been 1986, and I was sad because it was my last day with Diane


I was thinking again about how she was exactly two months older than I.


Oh, and there's a scar on my left hand that I have been wondering about but I don't feel like writing about. I remember it was after having to walk home through a bad neighborhood. I remember it was a nasty wound, bled a lot, something about nasty bandages. At first I thought it might be a bullet scar, but then I thought maybe someone had jammed a philips screwdriver between my knuckles. But there is no exit scar so I'm not sure what it means. Perhaps what ever did it didn't go down through my hand, rather went into my hand, towards my wrist and didn't exit. The oblong nature of the scar would support that possibility. It doesn't hurt though.

I was thinking about this time my clothes were filthy with salt. I remember that as a time on the Taylor but I am now wondering if it was dust, as in some kind of desert.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/2/2006 12:19 PM
Today is the day I remember as Diane


birthday. She was born in 1965 and was exactly 2 months older than me.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 2 September 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 7:35 AM Sunday, April 10, 2011


That just caught up with me. Along the girl named Phoebe that Kerry Burgess picked out randomly on a dance floor in 1981, he also asked a girl to dance in 1986 one night in Wisconsin and that he knew long enough for me to now remember details about.

In the context of my artificial memory, I was stationed at the United States Navy base in Great Lakes Illinois and as a United States Navy Fire Controlman 3rd Class Petty Officer I was attending the Class A school for the Fire Controlman occupational rating and which teaches the fundamentals of the computer equipment that rating maintains for the weapons systems of United States Navy warships and other ships that have defensive weapons systems.

I do not recall the day I met her. That must have been the summer of 1986 and I think was about four to six weeks after I had arrived in Illinois after I had left an earlier school in Orlando Florida.

I just caught the association. Her birthday was 2 September 1965. I always remember that because it was exactly two months before my birthdate.

I don't recall the name of the bar but I remember it was a popular place and it was a fairly long drive from the US Navy base in North Chicago to that dance club in Wisconsin. There were a lot of women in that bar that night. I walked up and asked her to dance and we dated for a long time after that. I was thinking of a her again recently when I watched the 1986 film "Short Circuit" on television.

She was from Arlington Heights. I stayed there several times in that condo in Arlington Heights.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 3 September 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.cswap.com/1954/The_Caine_Mutiny/cap/en/25fps/a/02_10

The Caine Mutiny


2:11:02
Captain DeVriess,
this is Ensign Keith.

2:11:12
May I see your orders,
or are they a military secret?

2:11:17
I'm sorry, sir.

2:11:25
Princeton, 1941...

2:11:28
Top five percent
in midshipman's school...

2:11:33
Pretty good background,
pretty good record.

2:11:38
- Disappointed it's a minesweeper?
- To be honest, yes, sir.

2:11:45
- You saw yourself on a battleship?
- I had hoped that...

2:11:50
I only hope that
you're good enough for the Caine.

2:11:55
- I'll try to be worthy of the job.
- The Caine is a beaten-up tub.

2:12:02
After 18 months of combat, it takes
24 hours a day to keep her together.

2:12:08
I don't think you understand.
You're in the junkyard navy.

2:12:16
Steve, put in with Keefer
in Communications. -

2:12:19
- And have Tom show this Princeton
Tiger and the other ensign the ship.

2:12:28
And Keith...

2:12:30
Don't take it so hard.
War is hell.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Caine Mutiny (1954)


Whittaker: Mr. Maryk, Mr. Kieth. The captain wants a meeting with all officers, right away.

Lt. Maryk: Now? At one o'clock in the morning?

Whittaker: Yes, sir.

Lt. Maryk: Do you know what it's about?

Whittaker: Yes, sir - strawberries.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Caine Mutiny (1954)


Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Caine Mutiny (1954)


[Greenwald staggers into the Caine crew's party, inebriated]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: Well, well, well! The officers of the Caine in happy celebration!

Lt. Steve Maryk: What are you, Barney, kind of tight?

Lt. Barney Greenwald: Sure. I got a guilty conscience. I defended you, Steve, because I found the wrong man was on trial.

[pours himself a glass of wine]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: So, I torpedoed Queeg for you. I *had* to torpedo him. And I feel sick about it.

[drinks wine]

Lt. Steve Maryk: Okay, Barney, take it easy.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: You know something... When I was studying law, and Mr. Keefer here was writing his stories, and you, Willie, were tearing up the playing fields of dear old Princeton, who was standing guard over this fat, dumb, happy country of ours, eh? Not us. Oh, no, we knew you couldn't make any money in the service. So who did the dirty work for us? Queeg did! And a lot of other guys. Tough, sharp guys who didn't crack up like Queeg.

Ensign Willie Keith: But no matter what, Captain Queeg endangered the ship and the lives of the men.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: He didn't endanger anybody's life, you did, *all* of you! You're a fine bunch of officers.

Lt. JG H. Paynter Jr.: You said yourself he cracked.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: I'm glad you brought that up, Mr. Paynter, because that's a very pretty point. You know, I left out one detail in the court martial. It wouldn't have helped our case any.

[to Maryk]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: Tell me, Steve, after the Yellowstain business, Queeg came to you guys for help and you turned him down, didn't you?

Lt. Steve Maryk: [hesitant] Yes, we did.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: [to Paynter] You didn't approve of his conduct as an officer. He wasn't worthy of your loyalty. So you turned on him. You ragged him. You made up songs about him. If you'd given Queeg the loyalty he needed, do you suppose the whole issue would have come up in the typhoon?

[to Maryk]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: You're an honest man, Steve, I'm asking you. You think it would've been necessary for you to take over?

Lt. Steve Maryk: [hesitant] It probably wouldn't have been necessary.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: [muttering slightly] Yeah.

Ensign Willie Keith: If that's true, then we *were* guilty.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: Ah, you're learning, Willie! You're learning that you don't work with a captain because you like the way he parts his hair. You work with him because he's got the job or you're no good! Well, the case is over. You're all safe. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

[long pause; strides toward Keefer]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: And now we come to the man who *should've* stood trial. The Caine's favorite author. The Shakespeare whose testimony nearly sunk us all. Tell 'em, Keefer!

Lieutenant Tom Keefer: [stiff and overcome with guilt] No, you go ahead. You're telling it better.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: You ought to read his testimony. He never even heard of Captain Queeg!

Lt. Steve Maryk: Let's forget it, Barney!

Lt. Barney Greenwald: Queeg was sick, he couldn't help himself. But you, you're *real* healthy. Only you didn't have one tenth the guts that he had.

Lieutenant Tom Keefer: Except I never fooled myself, Mr. Greenwald.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: I'm gonna drink a toast to you, Mr. Keefer.

[pours wine in a glass]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: From the beginning you hated the Navy. And then you thought up this whole idea. And you managed to keep your skirts nice, and starched, and clean, even in the court martial. Steve Maryk will always be remembered as a mutineer. But you, you'll publish your novel, you'll make a million bucks, you'll marry a big movie star, and for the rest of your life you'll live with your conscience, if you have any. Now here's to the *real* author of "The Caine Mutiny." Here's to you, Mr. Keefer.

[splashes wine in Keefer's face]

Lt. Barney Greenwald: If you wanna do anything about it, I'll be outside. I'm a lot drunker than you are, so it'll be a fair fight.