Wednesday, January 04, 2017

International Space Station




NASA has a website that tells you when the ISS will be visible over your location. After imaging an object in the sky, that moved slower than most aircraft I have before observed, I started to wonder if that was the ISS I was seeing. The NASA website reports the location generally the same as I was seeing. The time was off. But the difference is only about 90 minutes or so. And I am not in precisely the same location the NASA website reports. Still, I don't know. The time difference seems to be too much. If I remember then I am going to try to catch it again tomorrow morning. Too damn cold though to stand around in the dark morning looking for it though. Fortunately I later found a website that shows the present location of the ISS above the surface of the Earth.

In the video I captured today to accompany my photos of the sunrise shows the object drop into the frame about the 1 minute 24 second point of the video and at the top of the screen towards the right-hand side.

The NASA website indicates the sightings are in the local timezone.

One other factor I thought of while crafting this note and waiting for my videos to upload to YouTube is about how fast the ISS moves around the Earth.

The NASA website seems to use a sort of subjective standard in terms of "sightings".

I vaguely remembered the orbital period is about 90 minutes and that is a detail I just find confirmation about on the internet.

So, yeah, that could be the ISS.












https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqYhjWTV-8







https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTxOpdtfeg










https://www.flickr.com/photos/142158814@N06/albums

flickr


Kerry Burgess

Albums



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 11:16 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Wednesday 04 January 2017