Thursday, December 14, 2023

Today is 12/14/2023, Post #3





by me, Kerry Burgess, 12/14/2023 9:33 PM

Maybe my predecessor really did become a time-traveler back in year 2013

And that's when *I* - his inheritor - because I am the same person - came into existence in his stead

I am simply a rounding-error

That's compounding in "never ending math equation"









by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: 2:14 PM October 12, 2021

There's a new tv-series on NBC that for a while I've seen advertised, named "La Brea"

Seemed mildly interesting but I didn't know very much about it

Today, I watched the first two episodes

Immediately, I hated it.

I mean, I really hate it.

I hate the characters.

The story itself became very interesting to me

Then, they very soon explain where they are and that damp's my interest

Taking away the suspense, there is eventually a rebound in my interest, knowing where they are

The one guy, the former pilot, makes me think this element of the story is another stab at notions established in 2015 tv-series "The Whispers", reported so brilliantly by me personally

There's no other connection here to that story, other than something familiar with pilot guy

I'm sure I'll continue following the tv-series with the new episodes

I just noticed that there's a new episode later tonight, which I won't see until later, tomorrow probably, if I decide to watch it

Some points that seem important to note and that happened before I decided to watch it today, for the first time, of episodes that have been available for two weeks, but I chose only today to watch for first time

Couple observations that could not have caused me to decide today to watch the episodes and that's because I didn't know about the relevant details until I watched - after the fact - the episodes

Hours earlier - all morning - since 5 AM today, the local tv-news reported on visibility of the Aurora Borealis here locally in Spokane, which I didn't see

Also hours earlier, a line of thought formed in my conscious mind about the nature of Time

I began to think about being in the proximity of a gravitational-singularity, or Black Hole

For a moment, I began to think that I almost got it

That I got it, I got how time is relative

A bazillion years could pass at one place while at another, only a moment

[excerpts ends]









From 6/8/1993 ( commencement, Princeton University Class of 1993 ) To 10/12/2021 ( ) is 10353 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/8/1994 ( ) is 10353 days









https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superunknown

Superunknown

From Wikipedia

Superunknown is the fourth studio album by American rock band Soundgarden, released on March 8, 1994









https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ad04de

The Astrophysical Journal

The American Astronomical Society

The Institute of Physics

Solar Evolution Models with a Central Black Hole

Earl P. Bellinger1,2,3, Matt E. Caplan4, Taeho Ryu1,5, Deepika Bollimpalli1, Warrick H. Ball6,7, Florian Kühnel8, R. Farmer1, S. E. de Mink1,9, and Jørgen Christensen-Dalsgaard3

Published 2023 December 13









https://www.science.org/content/article/are-tiny-black-holes-hiding-within-giant-stars

Science

Are tiny black holes hiding within giant stars?

Phenomenon could account for universe’s mysterious dark matter

13 DEC 2023 5:00 PM ET BY ADAM MANN

A version of this story appeared in Science, Vol 382, Issue 6676.

Grunge music: a source of validation for a generation of disaffected youth. And a surprising source of scientific inspiration for Earl Bellinger of the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics. While listening to Soundgarden’s 1994 hit Black Hole Sun 2 years ago, he contemplated a curious question: Might itty-bitty black holes from the dawn of time be lurking in the hearts of giant stars?

A new study by Bellinger and colleagues suggests the idea is not so far-fetched. Astronomers could detect these trapped black holes by the vibrations they cause on the star’s surface. And if there’s enough of them out there, they could function as the mysterious dark matter that holds the universe together.

“It is speculative, but interesting,” says Juan García-Bellido, a theoretical physicist at the Autonomous University of Madrid who was not involved in the work, published today in The Astrophysical Journal. “It opens a new channel for the evolution of stars.”

Ordinary black holes are born in the deaths of gigantic stars, when their massive cores collapse and become so dense that even light can’t escape their gravitational pull. But in 1971, famed physicist Stephen Hawking proposed another possible origin. In the thick soup of particles present moments after the big bang, certain spots might have been dense enough to collapse and create black holes ranging in size from the microscopic to the incredibly huge.

If numerous and pervasive enough, these primordial black holes could function as the dark matter that knits the cosmic web together with its gravity and is thought to make up 85% of the matter in the universe. Astronomers have searched for them by looking for flashes that would arise when they pass in front of a distant, bright object and magnify its light like a lens. None have been spotted so far. But if a primordial black hole was tiny enough, with a mass roughly that of an asteroid and a diameter as small as a hydrogen atom, the flashes would be too dim to be picked up in such surveys.

Bellinger and his colleagues decided to consider the consequences of a universe in which dark matter was made entirely of such teensy black holes. On average, they found, one should be zipping through the Solar System at any given time. Some ought to occasionally get trapped within the gas clouds that give birth to stars, ending up in the center of a newly formed star. “I thought it would be kind of funny to put a black hole inside of a star and just see what happens,” Bellinger says.

The researchers found that the black holes would sink to the star’s core where hydrogen atoms undergo fusion to produce heat and light. At first, very little would happen. Even a dense stellar core is mostly empty space. The most microscopic of the black holes would have a hard time finding matter to consume and its growth would be extremely slow, Bellinger says. “It could take longer than the lifetime of the universe to eat the star.”

But larger ones, roughly as massive as the asteroid Ceres or the dwarf planet Pluto, would get bigger on timescales of only a few hundred million years. Material would spiral onto the black hole, forming a disk that would heat up through friction and emit radiation. Once the black hole was about as massive as Earth, it would produce significant amounts of radiation, shining brightly and churning up the star’s core like pot of boiling water. “It will become a black hole–powered object rather than fusion-powered object,” says study co-author Matt Caplan, a theoretical physicist at Illinois State University. He and his colleagues have dubbed these entities “Hawking stars.”

To cool off, the exterior layers of a Hawking star would puff out, forming a red giant—the expected fate of the Sun as it gets older. But a red giant with a primordial black hole in its center would be slightly cooler than one that reaches that stage through normal means.

The European Space Agency’s Gaia satellite has spotted about 500 such anomalously cool giant stars, known as red stragglers, Bellinger says. To figure out whether these might actually be hiding a black hole, he says, astronomers could tune in to the particular frequencies at which the stars vibrate. Because a Hawking star would churn throughout its interior, rather than just in the topmost layers like an ordinary red giant, it would be expected to thrum with a particular combination of frequencies.

Such waves can be detected in the way the star’s light pulses and throbs. Bellinger is applying for funding to study the known red stragglers and see whether any display the characteristic vibrations of a black hole.

Still, the team appears to have avoided one crucial question—how often these primordial black holes would be expected to get stuck within a star, says astrophysicist Shravan Hanasoge of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. “The whole thing hinges on that calculation,” he says, which “in my opinion should have been performed at the very outset.”

Bellinger agrees and says his team considered the matter, but ultimately found there were too many unknowns to provide a definitive answer. He hopes to make progress on pinning it down in the near future.

And if he were to one day find a red straggler with the right surface features to indicate a primordial black hole? “That would be great,” he says. “I joked with some people that it would be the dumbest ever Nobel Prize, to discover dark matter because you’re inspired by Black Hole Sun.”










2021-10-12_1









album: "Superunknown" (1994)

Soundgarden

"Black Hole Sun"

(from internet transcript, unverified)

In my eyes
Indisposed
In disguise
As no one knows
Hides the face
Lies the snake
And the sun
In my disgrace

Boiling heat
Summer stench
'Neath the black
The sky looks dead
Call my name
Through the cream
And I'll hear you
Scream again

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun
Won't you come?
Won't you come?
Won't you come?

Stuttering
Cold and damp
Steal the warm wind
Tired friend
Times are gone
For honest men
And sometimes
Far too long
For snakes

In my shoes
A walking sleep
And my youth
I pray to keep
Heaven send
Hell away
No one sings
Like you anymore

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun
Won't you come?
Won't you come?

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun









Poltergeist (1982)

(from internet transcript)

Oh, God, I love it when you talk dirty!

Storm is coming closer.









Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

(from internet transcript)

McCOY: It never rains but it pours.

KIRK: As a physician you of all people should appreciate the danger of re-opening old wounds.









Poltergeist (1982)

(from internet transcript)

Sleepwalking.

Nocturnal somnambulism.

You know what?

I will bet you anything it's genetic.

I mean, Carol Anne last night and all last week.

And me when I was ten.

Would you deal with this?

Sure.

You know... once I slept-walked four blocks... and I fell asleep in the back of this guy's car.

He drove all the way to work before discovering me.

God, I woke up, I started screaming.









From 1/4/1961 ( biographical - Erwin Schrödinger dead ) To 3/8/1994 ( ) is 12116 days

12116 = 6058 + 6058

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 6/4/1982 ( premiere USA films "Poltergeist" and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" ) is 6058 days



From 12/20/1979 ( premiere USA film "The Black Hole" ) To 3/8/1994 ( ) is 5192 days

5192 = 2596 + 2596

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/11/1972 ( disguised, my biological brother Thomas Reagan the US Navy Commander circa 1972 was United States Apollo 17 Challenger spacecraft US Navy astronaut landing and walking on the planet Earth's moon - his sixth of his 6 lunar-landings with USA Project Apollo ) is 2596 days



From 9/4/1913 ( Stanford Moore ) To 1/8/1942 ( Stephen Hawking ) is 10353 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers, Oklahoma, USA, as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/8/1994 ( ) is 10353 days









Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

(from internet transcript)

COMPUTER VOICE: Security scan approved.

KIRK: Summary, please.

CAROL (on viewscreen): Project Genesis. A proposal to the Federation.

SPOCK: Carol Marcus.

KIRK: Yes.

CAROL (on viewscreen): What exactly is Genesis? Well, put simply, Genesis is life from lifelessness. It is a process whereby molecular structure is reorganised at he subatomic level into life-generating matter of equal mass. Stage One of our experiments was conducted in the laboratory. Stage Two of the series will be attempted in a lifeless underground. Stage Three will involve the process on a planetary scale. It is our intention to introduce the Genesis device into the pre-selected area of a lifeless space body, such a moon or other dead form. The device is delivered, instantaneously causing what we call the Genesis Effect. Matter is reorganised with life-generating results. ...Instead of a dead moon, a living, breathing planet, capable of sustaining whatever lifeforms we see fit to deposit on it.

SPOCK: Fascinating!

CAROL: (on viewscreen) The reformed moon simulated here represents the merest fraction of the Genesis potential, should the Federation wish to fund these experiments to their logical conclusion. When we consider the cosmic problems of population and food supply, the usefulness of this process becomes clear. This concludes our proposal. Thank you for your attention.

SPOCK: It literally is Genesis [ Superstition, in the context of religion and the mythology of the Jesus Christ superstition and the Old Testament superstition ].

KIRK: The power of creation.

SPOCK: Have they proceeded with their experiment?

KIRK: Well, the tape was made about a year ago. I can only assume they've reached Stage Two by now.

McCOY: But, dear Lord, do you think we're intelligent enough to... Suppose, what if this thing were used where life already exists?

SPOCK: It would destroy such life in favour of its new matrix.

McCOY: It's new matrix? ...Do you have you any idea what you're saying?

SPOCK: I was not attempting to evaluate its moral implications, Doctor. As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.

McCOY: Not anymore! Now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis, we'll do it for you in six minutes.

SPOCK: Really, Doctor McCoy, you must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing. Logic suggests...

McCOY: Logic? My God! The man's talking about logic! We're talking about universal Armageddon, you green-blooded, inhuman...

SAAVIK (on intercom): Bridge to Admiral Kirk. Admiral, sensors indicate a vessel in our area, closing fast.

KIRK: What do you make of her?

SAAVIK (on intercom): It's one of ours, Admiral. ...It's Reliant.

KIRK: Reliant!









Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

(from internet transcript)

[Enterprise bridge]

UHURA: Enterprise to Reliant, you are ordered to surrender your vessel. Respond.

[Reliant bridge]

KHAN: No, Kirk. ...The game's not over. ...To the last I will grapple with thee!

(Khan activates the Genesis device)

[Enterprise bridge]

SPOCK: Admiral. Scanning an energy source on Reliant. A pattern I've never seen before.

DAVID: It's the Genesis Wave!

KIRK: What?

DAVID: They're on a build up to detonation!

KIRK: How soon.

DAVID: We encoded four minutes.

KIRK: We'll beam aboard and stop it.

DAVID: You can't!

KIRK: Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes or we're all dead!

UHURA (on intercom): No response, Admiral.

KIRK: Scotty!

KIRK: Get us out of here, best speed possible!










1994-03-08_1

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/chemistry/1972/moore/facts/










1994-03-08_2
1994-03-08_3









"Space Seed" [ Star Trek ]

Original Airdate: Feb 16, 1967

(from internet transcript)

KIRK: Name, Khan, as we know him today. (Spock changes the picture) Name, Khan Noonien Singh.

SPOCK: From 1992 through 1996, absolute ruler of more than a quarter of your world. From Asia through the Middle East.

MCCOY: The last of the tyrants to be overthrown.

SCOTT: I must confess, gentlemen. I've always held a sneaking admiration for this one.

KIRK: He was the best of the tyrants and the most dangerous. They were supermen, in a sense. Stronger, braver, certainly more ambitious, more daring.

SPOCK: Gentlemen, this romanticism about a ruthless dictator is

KIRK: Mister Spock, we humans have a streak of barbarism in us. Appalling, but there, nevertheless.

SCOTT: There were no massacres under his rule.

SPOCK: And as little freedom.

MCCOY: No wars until he was attacked.

SPOCK: Gentlemen.

KIRK: Mister Spock, you misunderstand us. We can be against him and admire him all at the same time.

SPOCK: Illogical.

KIRK: Totally.









album: "Superunknown" (1994)

Soundgarden

"Black Hole Sun"

In my shoes
A walking sleep
And my youth
I pray to keep
Heaven send
Hell away
No one sings
Like you anymore









Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

(from internet transcript)

Captain's log, stardate 8141.6. Starship Enterprise departing for Ceti Alpha Five to pick up the crew of the U.S.S. Reliant. All is well. And yet I can't help wondering about the friend I leave behind. 'There are always possibilities' Spock said. And if Genesis is indeed 'Life from death', I must return to this place again.

[Enterprise bridge]

McCOY: He's really not dead. As long as we remember him.

KIRK: 'It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. ...A far better resting place that I go to than I have ever known'.

CAROL: Is that a poem?

KIRK: No, no. Something Spock was trying to tell me. On my birthday.

McCOY: You okay, Jim? How do you feel?

KIRK: Young. I feel young.

(the torpedo coffin lays in a clearing in the new, verdant forest on the Genesis planet)

Spock's Voice: Space, the final frontier. ...These are the continuing voyages of the Starship Enterprise. ...Her ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds, ...to seek out new lifeforms and new civilisations. ...To boldly go where no man has gone before.

END CREDITS









from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

From: Kerry Burgess {me}

Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:04 AM

To: Kerry Burgess {me}

Subject: Re: Journal May 21, 2006

Kerry Burgess wrote:

I also have these unexplained thoughts that I was a fighter pilot in the U.S. military, although I'm not sure which service, but I may have been in two different branches over time. I am also confused about thoughts that I may have been a helicopter pilot. What's next? A space shuttle pilot? Seems like a lot for someone that is only 40. And, while I am not sure when this divergence happened, I am reasonably certain it was before I turned 33. So I must have been a pretty busy guy. Especially because I have thoughts that I was some kind of mathmetician too. I have these thoughts too that I was captured by enemy forces at some point and tortured while in captivity.



by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journal: 9/26/2006 3:06 PM

As I was trying to go to sleep last night, I had a thought that I have a doctorate in computer science from Princeton.

and I had thoughts that I studied music as well at Princeton.



from my private journal, as me, Kerry Burgess, typed after being released from the USA Veterans Affairs psychiatric hospital enduring many months sitting in a grungy two-computer room in a homeless shelter on the waterfront in downtown Seattle:

by me, Kerry Burgess, excerpts from my private journals: 9/28/2006 7:13 PM

This sounds very interesting. In my memory of taking Physics my Senior year at Ashdown, I remember being very interested in the class, but we didn’t cover such an interesting topic.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/about/present/

Ayan Chatterjee (left) and Mark Daly measure piano strings as part of a lab project for professor Pierre Piroué's freshman seminar on "Sound, Music and ... Physics."

9/28/2006 7:37 PM

I think I even have memories of the graduate degree process. I am not sure of the terms to describe the process.

9/28/2006 7:47 PM

I actually do remember... something... I can’t explain it. It feels that I am holding an unmarked, undistinguishable book that I don’t know the name of or the contents but I know I have read it already.

9/28/2006 8:34 PM

A few minutes ago I started thinking that maybe I started at Princeton University in 1972. I would have been 13 at the time as Thomas Ray. I remember that Kerry Burgess started first grade in 1972. But then I decided that I probably started Princeton earlier than 1972 and maybe 1972 was the year I completed my first major degree. Or 1972 doesn’t really mean anything in particular to Thomas Ray; rather it is there for continuity sake for the life of Kerry Burgess.



by me, Kerry Burgess, posted by me: H.V.O.M at 3:06 AM Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Salesman

Also, "Salesman." I saw that in a dream while sleeping recently. I saw myself going through an induction process in the United States Marine Corps and I woke up understanding that I was dreaming of my actual experience in 1990. I saw a document that indicated I was being inducted to the United States Marine Corps with the officer grade of Chief Warrant Officer 2. I saw in the dream another document associated with my induction and that document indicated I had been assigned the informal name "Salesman."











https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPm_W9Pmlc

Never Ending Math Equation

Modest Mouse



- by me, Kerry Wayne Burgess, posted by me: 9:43 PM Pacific-time USA Thursday 12/14/2023