Sunday, March 28, 2010

"This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About" (1996)




}}}}} JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Thu, May 25, 2006 3:11:36 PM

Subject: Journal May 25, 2006

I'm feeling more comfortable, confident even, that this stuff I am remembering is true. There is still something I am missing though. I suspect that it is something I have to figure out, to remember, to recognize, on my own. It is something I will know when I see. For a while, sometime ago, I was thinking to myself something about how this wasn't over til "the bat lady sings," but I don't know what that means precisely, other than a variation of the well-known phrase. I feel the answer is somewhere in my memory, if I could just grasp it. I felt like I almost remembered something last night, something I wrote more about in my notes, but not sure if I will put it in here. I can't remember that thought now, but it was some kind of family choice, and that half-remembered choice was reflected in something later, but I can't remember.


So much went wrong after returning from the Persian Gulf, in my memory. Among everything that went wrong, is something trivial that may actually mean something a lot more complicated than I realize. After we returned to homeport in Charleston, I couldn't drive my Nissan pickup because the license tags had expired. There is something more to that than I can explain. On the surface, it reminds me of a great desire to get out and drive to clear out my head, but it may represent something else as well that I can't remember. When I was writing about this in my notes last night, I was wondering if there is some similarity to the part in that movie Flight Of The Intruder, in that he was grounded for his rogue mission. Who knows, I sure don't. It seems too crazy to be true.

{{{{