Friday, April 26, 2013

Midrats




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 03/28/07 5:50 AM
Another goddamned day in a goddamned circus of jerks.

That's what the POW guards always say: Today, Ray. You're going home today, Ray. You'll be eating dinner with your family tonight, Ray.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 28 March 2007 excerpt ends]










http://www.ejectionsite.com/estories.htm

Broken Launch Bar Linkage

The USS Forrestal (CV-59) was on its last operational cruise in the Med in 1990. We were conducting night flight ops off the coast of Turkey in support of Operation Provide Comfort. I had just shutdown my aircraft and was walking across the flight deck when the sound of snapping metal amidst a Tomcat launch off the port waist cat caught my attention. I turned to see the F-14 sliding sideways towards the edge of the flight deck. Apparently a component of the launch bar had snapped midway through the catapult stroke sequence, giving the Tomcat only a gentle push (approx. 20-30 knots) instead of the huge kick in the butt required to get the aircraft up to flying speed. The pilot had immediately realized something was wrong, and in a split second reacted to attempt to hit the brakes and stop prior to falling off the edge into the ocean 80 feet below. As they approached the edge, a tire blew sending the F-14 sliding sideways, and the pilot judged they wouldn't stop in time and initiated ejection. As the pilot and RIO rode the seat rails up into the night, one of the F-14s main landing gear jumped the deck edge rail but miraculously stuck just over the edge, and the aircraft remained perched precariously partially over the deck edge. The RIO was soon sighted landing further aft on the flight deck, and although he received some bumps, bruises and scrapes from his ejection and rough landing on the flight deck, he was was happy to walk away from it with a good story to tell that night over midrats.










At some point, long ago, I had written about being in a flat-bottom boat on a river back in Arkansas and the boat hit a snag in the water and I thought it was going to tip over so I jumped out and boat driver asked me why I had jumped out into the river presumably since the boat didn't turn over. I thought about that when I read 'Broken Launch Bar Linkage.' I have seen a lot of stuff I talked to people about during the 5 years at Microsoft show up the same way.

You see, someone paid them to bury me. It's a criminal conspiracy against my private property.





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: posted by H.V.O.M at 12:04 AM Saturday, June 30, 2007


I just read this a few minutes ago after finding it on the internet and it sure sounds a lot like what I wrote about the front wheel popping off my blue 1967 Chevrolet in my artificial and symbolic memory. It also reminds me of something I wrote long ago about a visit I made to the USS Taylor FFG-50 in 1987 when the ship was in-port in Norfolk and I was attending school in Virginia Beach, having been previously assigned to the Taylor. Since those "memories" are all completely false and artificial, there must be a reason I "remember" them. In that "memory" of visiting the Taylor, one of my former coworkers was telling me about how a target drone missile had crashed into the superstructure of the ship and someone had to go up there with a fire extinquisher and put out the fire. When I wrote about how the wheel of my truck popped off just before I crossed over a wooden bridge, I believe that bridge is symbolic of the forward edge of the flight deck. I don't know if this description below was me, as this type of accident may be relatively common, if you understand the nature of a catapult launch from an aircraft carrier. That text also reminds me very clearly of a time at night when Micheal was in a tree in the yard and I was trying to find him. It was kind of game of hide-and-seek using walkie-talkies. It took him a while to figure out that I was turning off my walkie-talkie as he would speak and then I would hear where his voice was coming from.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/estories.htm

Broken Launch Bar Linkage

The USS Forrestal (CV-59) was on its last operational cruise in the Med in 1990. We were conducting night flight ops off the coast of Turkey in support of Operation Provide Comfort. I had just shutdown my aircraft and was walking across the flight deck when the sound of snapping metal amidst a Tomcat launch off the port waist cat caught my attention. I turned to see the F-14 sliding sideways towards the edge of the flight deck. Apparently a component of the launch bar had snapped midway through the catapult stroke sequence, giving the Tomcat only a gentle push (approx. 20-30 knots) instead of the huge kick in the butt required to get the aircraft up to flying speed. The pilot had immediately realized something was wrong, and in a split second reacted to attempt to hit the brakes and stop prior to falling off the edge into the ocean 80 feet below. As they approached the edge, a tire blew sending the F-14 sliding sideways, and the pilot judged they wouldn't stop in time and initiated ejection. As the pilot and RIO rode the seat rails up into the night, one of the F-14s main landing gear jumped the deck edge rail but miraculously stuck just over the edge, and the aircraft remained perched precariously partially over the deck edge. The RIO was soon sighted landing further aft on the flight deck, and although he received some bumps, bruises and scrapes from his ejection and rough landing on the flight deck, he was was happy to walk away from it with a good story to tell that night over midrats. Meanwhile, a full scale search was underway for the pilot. The airborne SAR helicopter had witnessed the ejection and was on the scene so rapidly that the image of the RIO floating down in his parachute canopy nearly filled their windscreen as they whipped across the fantail. They quickly set up for an approach to the datum, and commenced a hover search. Flight operations were suspended and all airborne aircraft were given instructions to hold overhead (or expeditiously recovered if low on fuel). Fifteen minutes later there was still no sign of the pilot. As the search proceeded with additional helicopters and ships in the area, the flight deck began to quiet down. An alert deck hand thought he heard a faint cry for help, but didn't see anything over the deck edge. The sound of yelling for help persisted, and suddenly the deck hand looked up, and with the aid of his flashlight, was able to make out the shape of the pilot hanging from his parachute 100 feet above him in the radio antennaes and masts at the top of the carrier's superstructure. Although the recovery of the pilot took an additional half hour, he was recovered uninjured.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 30 June 2007 excerpt ends ]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Re: Journal May 26, 2006


One day, I "launched" my '67 blue Chev. out onto Hicks Road. Earlier, I had been doing something with the front wheels and apparently, I forgot to tighten the lug nuts. I got about a half mile down the road and the front end started shaking violently. Just as I was about to cross over this small wooden bridge, I saw the left front wheel shot up and away down to the edge of the creek I was about to pass over. The truck dropped over to the left a little bit and I managed to keep it from running off the bridge where I stopped on the other side. I left a groove in the road from that incident.

That happened again sometime later on the way to school. Micheal had told me something looked wrong with the left wheel but I drove anyway. Shortly after that, I saw that familar sight of the wheel shooting up and away to the left as the front end slammed into the pavement. This time the spindle had broken off because it hadn't been greased. Mt future-brother-in-law went out into the field and got the wheel for me. Then a schoolbus came by. My buddy who was later an Air Force mechanic, gave me a ride to school in his midget car. Not sure what kind of car that was. Denzil was at home on vacation that day and he sent out a tow truck to get my truck.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 26 May 2006 excerpt ends ]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ah.... a cookbook. If that was me that was stuck in the aircraft carrier's superstructure after ejecting from a failed launch of my F-14 Tomcat, I created an artificial and symbolic memory of me sitting underneath the ships radar while reading a book. I almost got cooked by that radar so I symbolized that with me sitting under it reading a book to create a reference to a cookbook. I have other vague memories, artificial or real, I'm not certain, that support this notion.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 01 July 2007 excerpt ends ]










1991 film "The Last Boy Scout" DVD video: [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

00:26:17


Joe Hallenbeck: I didn't vote for you, son of a bitch. So I'm a low-life.

Alley Thug: That's him. He was with her.





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102266/releaseinfo

IMDb


Release dates for

The Last Boy Scout (1991)

Country Date

USA 12 December 1991 (Westwood, California) (premiere)





http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/battlestar

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/battlestar/season2/galactica-215.htm

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

2X15 - SCAR

Original Airdate (SciFi): 03/FEB/2006


Starbuck: This isn't dueling pistols at dawn, this is war. You never wanna fight fair. You wanna sneak up behind your enemy, and club 'em over the head. You see, Scar understands that. And so do I.





http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/m/manchurian-candidate-script-transcript-denzel.html


Manchurian Candidate [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Were you wounded?
I was, I was injured.
Concussion, lost focus.





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102266/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Last Boy Scout (1991) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Darian Hallenbeck: The hell's that number on the back of your head? Is that like a license plate in case somebody tries to steal it?










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:POWM.jpg


File:POWM.jpg



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner_of_War_Medal


Prisoner of War Medal


The Prisoner of War Medal is a military award of the United States armed forces which was authorized by Congress and signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on 8 November 1985. The United States Code citation for the POW Medal statute is 10 U.S.C. § 1128.

The Prisoner of War Medal may be awarded to any person who was a prisoner of war after April 5, 1917, (the date of the United States entry into World War I was the 6th). It is awarded to any person who was taken prisoner or held captive while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing Armed Force; or while serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing Armed Force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. As of an amendment to Title 10 of the United States Code in 1989, the medal is also awarded for captivity by foreign armed forces that are hostile to the United States, under circumstances which the Secretary concerned finds to have been comparable to those under which persons have generally been held captive by enemy armed forces during periods of armed conflict. The person's conduct, while in captivity, must have been honorable. This medal may be awarded posthumously to the surviving next of kin of the recipient.



http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/medals/pow

Department of Defense

United States of America

DPMO

Defense Prisoner of War

Missing Personnel Office


Prisoner of War Medal


Instituted: 1985

Dates: All

Devices: (Silver Star, Bronze Star)

Notes: Gold and Silver Star attachments apply only to USN, USMC and USCG. Bronze and Silver Oak Leaf attachments apply only to Army and USAF.

Eligibility: The POW Medal is authorized by Public Law 99-145 (Nov. 8, 1985), as amended by Public Law 101-89 (Nov. 29, 1989), and codified at section 1128, title 10, United States Code. The POW Medal is authorized for any person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Armed Forces, was taken prisoner and held captive after April 5, 1917. The POW Medal is to be issued only to those U.S. military personnel and other personnel granted credible U.S. military service who were taken prisoner and held captive:

(1) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;

(2) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force;

(3) while serving with friendly forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing force in which the United States is not a belligerent party; or

(4) by foreign armed forces that are hostile to the United States, under circumstances which the Secretary concerned finds to have been comparable to those under which persons have generally been held captive by enemy armed forces during periods of armed conflict.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:32:30 -0800 (PST)

From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Re: Every one that flatters thee

To: "Kerry Burgess"


Kerry Burgess wrote:
http://www.online-literature.com/short.php/333

As it fell upon a day
In the merry month of May,
Sitting in a pleasant shade


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 February 2006 excerpt ends]



JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:32:30 -0800 (PST)

From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Re: Every one that flatters thee

To: "Kerry Burgess"


I want to sit down and try to write out as much of a timeline after that as possible, but I can't remember a lot of the details, although I knew all along that my tormentors knew exactly what I was doing and where I was located every minute of every one of those days. And so in this message below, he is talking basically about how people can talk about being your friend, but it is when the world throws you down into some really dark place, it is your friends that are going to be there with you. And I remember those first 9 days I was starving


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 February 2006 excerpt ends]



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 05:09 AM Pacific Time Seattle USA Friday 26 April 2013