Saturday, February 13, 2016

Skylab




http://www.azlyrics.com/s/sundays.html

AZ

THE SUNDAYS

album: "Reading, Writing, And Arithmetic" (1990)


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sundays/hereswherethestoryends.html

AZ

THE SUNDAYS

"Here's Where The Story Ends"

People I know, places I go
Make me feel tongue tied
I can see how, people look down
They're on the inside

Here's where the story ends

People I see, weary of me
Showing my good side
I can see how, people look down
I'm on the outside

Here's, where the story ends
Ooh here's, where the story ends

It's that little souvenir, of a terrible year
Which makes my eyes feel sore
Oh I never should have said, the books that you read
Were all I loved you for



































2016_Nk20_DSCN0660.jpg






























2016_Nk20_DSCN0661.jpg






























2016_Nk20_DSCN0662.jpg










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/S/Smokey_and_the_Bandit.html


Smokey and the Bandit


Those boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarkana
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes
Eastbound and down loaded up and truckin'
We gonna do what they say can't be done










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 13


Rage struck him with all the unexpectedness of a sweet surprise. He was up, and then he had hold of Deitz’s lapels, and he was shaking him back and forth. From the corner of his eye he saw startled movement behind the double-paned glass. Dimly, muffled by distance and soundproofed walls, he heard a hooter go off.

“What did you people do?” he shouted. “What did you do? What in Christ’s name did you do?”

“Mr. Redman—”

“Huh? What the fuck did you people do?”

The door hissed open. Three large men in olive-drab uniforms stepped in. They were all wearing nose-filters.

Deitz looked over at them and snapped, “Get the hell out of here!”

The three men looked uncertain.

“Our orders—”

“Get out of here and that’s an order!”

They retreated. Deitz sat calmly on the bed. His lapels were rumpled and his hair had tumbled over his forehead. That was all. He was looking at Stu calmly, even compassionately. For a wild moment Stu considered ripping his nose-filter out, and then he remembered Geraldo, what a stupid name for a guinea pig. Dull despair struck him like cold water. He sat down.

“Christ in a sidecar,” he muttered.

“Listen to me,” Deitz said. “I’m not responsible for you being here. Neither is Denninger, or the nurses who come in to take your blood pressure. If there was a responsible party it was Campion, but you can’t lay it all on him, either. He ran, but under the circumstances, you or I might have run, too. It was a technical slipup that allowed him to run. The situation exists. We are trying to cope with it, all of us. But that doesn’t make us responsible.”

“Then who is?”

“Nobody,” Deitz said, and smiled. “On this one the responsibility spreads in so many directions that it’s invisible. It was an accident. It could have happened in any number of other ways.”

“Some accident,” Stu said, his voice nearly a whisper. “What about the others? Hap and Hank Carmichael and Lila Bruett? Their boy Luke? Monty Sullivan—”

“Classified,” Deitz said. “Going to shake me some more? If it will make you feel better, shake away.”

Stu said nothing, but the way he was looking at Deitz made Deitz suddenly look down and begin to fiddle with the creases of his pants.

“They’re alive,” he said, “and you may see them in time.”

“What about Arnette?”

“Quarantined.”

“Who’s dead there?”

“Nobody.”

“You’re lying.”

“Sorry you think so.”

“When do I get out of here?”

“I don’t know.”

“Classified?” Stu asked bitterly.

“No, just unknown. You don’t seem to have this disease. We want to know why you don’t have it. Then we’re home free.”

“Can I get a shave? I itch.”

Deitz smiled. “If you’ll allow Denninger to start running his tests again, I’ll get an orderly in to shave you right now.”

“I can handle it. I’ve been doing it since I was fifteen.”

Deitz shook his head firmly. “I think not.”

Stu smiled dryly at him. “Afraid I might cut my own throat?”

“Let’s just say—”

Stu interrupted him with a series of harsh, dry coughs. He bent over with the force of them.

The effect on Deitz was galvanic. He was up off the bed like a shot and across to the airlock with his feet seeming not to touch the floor at all. Then he was fumbling in his pocket for the square key and ramming it into the slot.

“Don’t bother,” Stu said mildly. “I was faking.”

Deitz turned to him slowly. Now his face had changed. His lips were thinned with anger, his eyes staring. “You were what?”

“Faking,” Stu said. His smile broadened.

Deitz took two uncertain steps toward him. His fists closed, opened, then closed again. “But why? Why would you want to do something like that?”

“Sorry,” Stu said, smiling. “That’s classified.”

“You shit sonofabitch,” Deitz said with soft wonder.

“Go on. Go on out and tell them they can do their tests.”

He slept better that night than he had since they had brought him here. And he had an extremely vivid dream. He had always dreamed a great deal—his wife had complained about him thrashing and muttering in his sleep—but he had never had a dream like this.

He was standing on a country road, at the precise place where the black hottop gave up to bone-white dirt. A blazing summer sun shone down. On both sides of the road there was green corn, and it stretched away endlessly. There was a sign, but it was dusty and he couldn’t read it. There was the sound of crows, harsh and far away. Closer by, someone was playing an acoustic guitar, fingerpicking it. Vic Palfrey had been a picker, and it was a fine sound.

This is where I ought to get to, Stu thought dimly. Yeah, this is the place, all right.

What was that tune? “Beautiful Zion”? “The Fields of My Father’s Home”? “Sweet Bye and Bye”? Some hymn he remembered from his childhood, something he associated with full immersion and picnic lunches. But he couldn’t remember which one.

Then the music stopped. A cloud came over the sun. He began to be afraid. He began to feel that there was something terrible, something worse than plague, fire, or earthquake. Something was in the corn and it was watching him. Something dark was in the corn.

He looked, and saw two burning red eyes far back in the shadows, far back in the corn. Those eyes filled him with the paralyzed, hopeless horror that the hen feels for the weasel. Him, he thought. The man with no face. Oh dear God. Oh dear God no.

Then the dream was fading and he awoke with feelings of disquiet, dislocation, and relief. He went to the bathroom and then to his window. He looked out at the moon. He went back to bed but it was an hour before he got back to sleep. All that corn, he thought sleepily. Must have been Iowa or Nebraska, maybe northern Kansas. But he had never been in any of those places in his life.










1994 television miniseries "The Stand" Disc 1 DVD video:

01:15:51


Stu Redman: [ startles awake from dream ]

Dr. Dietz: Well, how we feeling, Stu?

Stu Redman: Fine.

Dr. Dietz: Fine. Always fine. Now, just think. All the tests we ran on you and we never found a single immunity factor, not one. Oh, I'm curious. How would you explain it, Stu? Have you been touched by God? [ coughing ] Hmm?

Stu Redman: What you got behind your back?

Dr. Dietz: Hmm? [ chuckles ] Ah-ah.

Stu Redman: I see.

Dr. Dietz: Do you?

Stu Redman: I think I do, yeah.

Dr. Dietz: I wonder.

Stu Redman: Where's your buddy, Denninger?

Dr. Dietz: Oh. He's dead. They're all dead. Everyone except for me and thee.

Stu Redman: And you're here to take care of me, is that it?

Dr. Dietz: Hole in one.

Stu Redman: Why?

Dr. Dietz: Why? Because I've decided a piece of chicken-fried crap like you doesn't deserve to live. Not with so many good men dying.

Stu Redman: [ scoffs ] Those good men caused this mess.










From 9/21/1947 ( Stephen King ) To 3/23/1987 ( Ronald Reagan - Statement on the Strategic Defense Initiative ) is 14428 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/4/2005 is 14428 days



From 7/19/1989 ( Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush kills 111 passengers and crew of United Airlines Flight 232 and destroys the United Airlines Flight 232 aircraft because I was a passenger of United Airlines Flight 232 as United States Navy Petty Officer Second Class Kerry Wayne Burgess and I was assigned to maintain custody of a non-violent offender military prisoner of the United States ) To 5/4/2005 is 5768 days

5768 = 2884 + 2884

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/25/1973 ( Richard Nixon - Message to the Skylab 2 Crew Following Splashdown ) is 2884 days



From 10/18/1993 ( the launch of the US space shuttle Columbia orbiter vehicle mission STS-58 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-58 pilot astronaut ) To 5/4/2005 is 4216 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/19/1977 ( premiere US film "Smokey and the Bandit" ) is 4216 days



From 1/19/1993 ( in Asheville North Carolina as United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess I was seriously wounded by gunfire when I returned fatal gunfire to a fugitive from United States federal justice who was another criminal sent by Bill Gates-Nazi-Microsoft-George Bush the cowardly violent criminal in another attempt to kill me the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/4/2005 is 4488 days

4488 = 2244 + 2244

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/25/1971 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States confined to federal prison in Mexico for illegally smuggling narcotics in Mexico ) is 2244 days



From 12/19/1915 ( Alois Alzheimer deceased ) To 12/20/1994 ( in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) is 28856 days

28856 = 14428 + 14428

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/4/2005 is 14428 days



From 9/4/1976 ( the unpublished true birthdate of singer Beyonce Knowles ) To 5/4/2005 is 10469 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/2/1994 ( premiere US TV movie "Related by Birth" & the crash of US Airways Flight 1016 in Charlotte North Carolina ) is 10469 days



From 9/4/1976 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States arrested again by police in the United States ) To 5/4/2005 is 10469 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/2/1994 ( premiere US TV movie "Related by Birth" & the crash of US Airways Flight 1016 in Charlotte North Carolina ) is 10469 days


[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2015/12/metamorphosis.html ]
[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2016/02/skylab.html ]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 11/1/2006 3:14 PM
May 4, 2005, was the day I went to the Kent Police department for help. I named George W. Bush specifically as one of the people harassing me. The policeman didn’t ask me any questions. He dumped me off at the St. Francis hospital in Federal Way where the first thing they did was secretly drug my food. I found it very hard to restrain the urge to laugh shortly after I had eaten.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 01 November 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000175/bio

IMDb


Stephen King

Biography

Date of Birth 21 September 1947, Portland, Maine, USA

Birth Name Stephen Edwin King



http://www.britannica.com/biography/Stephen-King

Encyclopædia Britannica


Stephen King

American novelist

Stephen King, in full Stephen Edwin King (born September 21, 1947, Portland, Maine, U.S.)










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-simpsons&episode=s05e17

Springfield! Springfield!


The Simpsons

Bart Gets an Elephant


[ Trumpets ] - Whoa! This is the moment we've feared, people.
Many of you thought it would never happen but I insisted we spend two hours every morning training for it.
You all thought I was mad.
Many of you requested to be transferred to another peanut factory.
- But now, we-- - [ Trumpets ] Stampy! Stampy, where are you, boy?










http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/227.htm

Time's Arrow, part 2 [ Star Trek: The Next Generation ]

Stardate: 46001.3

Original Airdate: 21 Sep, 1992


[Morgue]

RIKER: (dressed as a policeman) The coroner said this is where they kept all the cholera victims.

CRUSHER: (taking tricorder scans) It doesn't make sense that so many people are dying of cholera. It just isn't that virulent. Will, this is strange.

RIKER: What is it?

CRUSHER: The cerebellum, the cerebral cortex, the brain stem, the entire nervous system has been depleted of electrochemical energy. Here's another one. Same neural depletion. These people did not die of cholera. They died because their neural energy was drained somehow.

RIKER: Drained and taken to Devidia Two for those aliens to ingest? If you were a time traveller with a taste for human neural energy where would you get your supply?

CRUSHER: I would travel back to a time when there were plagues and epidemics, so I could murder and use disease as a cover.

[Rented room]

(all the away team are in period costume)

CRUSHER: Over half the victims whose neural energy had been drained came from the Sisters of Hope Infirmary.

RIKER: A charity hospital near the waterfront.

TROI: If the aliens have been killing people there, well, someone might have noticed something unusual.

PICARD: And if they're moving among humans, they must have taken on human form. But the question is, how do we know who we're looking for?



































092315_a_spwl_ (797).jpg










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=under-the-dome&episode=s01e03

Springfield! Springfield!


Under The Dome

s01e03


BEN: Dude, you're not gonna believe this. The guys got The Simpsons Movie going on a loop. They totally saw the dome coming.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/79701/Clancy_-_Red_Storm_Rising.txt


Tom Clancy

Red Storm Rising


35 – Time on Target


USS REUBEN JAMES

"Vampire, vampire! We have incoming missiles."

Here we go again, Morris thought. The tactical display was more modern than what he'd had on Pharris--each of the incoming missiles was marked with a velocity vector that indicated speed and direction. They were coming in low.

Morris lifted his phone. "Bridge, Combat. Execute separation maneuver."

"Bridge, aye. Separating now," Ernst said. "Crash stop! All back emergency!"

The helmsman pulled the throttle control back, then abruptly reversed the pitch of the propeller blades, throwing the ship from ahead to full astern. Reuben James slowed so rapidly that men had to brace themselves, and Battleaxe forged ahead, accelerating to twenty-five knots. As soon as it was safe, the British frigate turned hard to port, and Reuben James went to ahead full and turned sharply to starboard.

Any Soviet radar operator who had lingered behind would have been impressed by the deception. The oncoming AS-4 missiles had been targeted on a single blip. Now there were two, and they were separating. The missiles divided their attention evenly, with three opting for either target.

Morris watched his display intently. The distance between his ship and his companion was widening rapidly.

"Missiles are tracking us!" the ESM operator said loudly. "We have multiple missile seeker heads tracking us."

"Right full rudder, reverse course. Fire off chaff rockets!"

Everyone in the Combat Information Center jumped as four canisters exploded directly overhead










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 8:50 PM Sunday, May 22, 2011


I clearly remember this aviation incident in 1994. That day 2 July 1994 was only five days after 27 June 1994.

I looked it up a short while ago because I was trying to remember other details about 1994 in my memory. I mentioned that incident in my private journal back in 2006 and I haven't looked up the exact day but I think that was pre-May 2006.

The way I remember it, I was sitting a bar in Charlotte North Carolina that I had started going to just about every evening after work. The bartender was also a fan of Atlanta Braves baseball, as was I. I told him one time he resembled in appearance a guy I went to United States Navy basic training with in 1984 but I don't think he ever actually told me whether he knew that guy and I wondered if they were related.

The way I remember it, I heard that thunderstorm roll through and I thought later, probably talking to other people in that bar, that we probably could have seen that aircraft flying nearby if we had walked to the frontdoor of that bar. That bar was not very far from where I lived at the time at Whitehall Estates in Charlotte North Carolina and that area is close to the airport. Commercial jet airplanes were always screaming over my apartment. I looked on the map to see if I could see the name of that bar in the images but I don't see it although I clearly remember where that bar was located.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 22 May 2011 excerpt ends]













https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1793819,-80.8904907,3a,75y,105.15h,91.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX56bhClR2tluC65btqJGFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Google Maps


4855 NC-49

Charlotte, North Carolina








https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1793819,-80.8904907,3a,15y,115.83h,89.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX56bhClR2tluC65btqJGFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Google Maps


4855 NC-49

Charlotte, North Carolina










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=flight

Springfield! Springfield!


Flight (2012)


On the morning of the accident...
I was drunk.
I'm drunk now.
I'm drunk right now, Miss Block.










[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2015/07/i-see-your-grandfather-and-i-raise-you.html ]


http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/DDG56.htm

NVR

Naval Vessel Register

USS JOHN S MCCAIN (DDG 56)

GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYER

Class: DDG 51
Fleet: Pacific
Status: Active, in commission
Homeport: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN
Force: Battle Force

Award Date: 12/13/1988
Keel Date: 09/03/1991
Launch Date: 09/26/1992
Commission Date: 07/02/1994










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=3978

The American Presidency Project

Richard Nixon

XXXVII President of the United States: 1969 - 1974

273 - Message to the Skylab 2 Crew Following Splashdown.

September 25, 1973

AT THE completion of mankind's longest journey beyond the boundaries of human knowledge, I congratulate you on behalf of all the American people.

The record of your Skylab mission combines the traditions of those great explorers of history who have faced the uncharted reaches of the physical unknown, with the traditions of those men of science who have unlocked the secrets of the universe and have thus opened the doors to man's future progress.

'By your scientific endeavor and your physical endurance, you have converted a space vehicle into a repository of more scientific knowledge than mankind can immediately consume. In doing so, you have provided the basis for a quantum jump in human knowledge.

As we salute you in your moment of personal triumph and of our national pride, we are mindful of the men and women whose contributions made your own accomplishments possible--your colleagues in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, in the armed services and the civilian scientific community, and the men and women of America's vast technological and industrial establishment. Your accomplishments reflect the power and potential of the American democracy at its best: out of the efforts of many, individual accomplishment is made possible, and from the deeds of the individual, all benefit.

We welcome you back to Earth and back home to the United States of America.

Note: The message was relayed to astronauts Capt. Alan L. Bean, USN, Dr. Owen K. Garriott, and Maj. Jack R. Lousma, USMC, on board the recovery ship U.S.S. New Orleans.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylab_3


Skylab 3

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skylab 3 (also SL-3 and SLM-2) was the second manned mission to the first American space station, Skylab. The mission began July 28, 1973, with the launch of three astronauts on the Saturn IB rocket, and lasted 59 days, 11 hours and 9 minutes. A total of 1,084.7 astronaut-utilization hours were tallied by the Skylab 3 crew performing scientific experiments in the areas of medical activities, solar observations, Earth resources, and other experiments.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_overloading


Function overloading

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In some programming languages, function overloading or method overloading is the ability to create multiple methods of the same name with different implementations. Calls to an overloaded function will run a specific implementation of that function appropriate to the context of the call, allowing one function call to perform different tasks depending on context.

For example, doTask() and doTask(object O) are overloaded methods. To call the latter, an object must be passed as a parameter, whereas the former does not require a parameter, and is called with an empty parameter field. A common error would be to assign a default value to the object in the second method, which would result in an ambiguous call error, as the compiler wouldn't know which of the two methods to use.










http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/archives/sts-58.html

NASA


Space Shuttle


STS-58

Mission: SLS-2

Space Shuttle: Columbia

Launch Pad: 39B

Launched: October 18, 1993 10:53 a.m. EDT

Landing Site: Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

Landing: November 1, 1993. 07:05:42 a.m. PST










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/quotes


Armageddon (1998)

Quotes


Chick: Man, what are you doing with a gun in space?










http://the-walking-dead.hypnoweb.net/episodes/saison-1/episode-101/script-vo---101.186.42/

hypnoweb.net


The Walking Dead

Days Gone Bye

Episode 101


Room - Hospital

Rick sees Shane in the hospital.

Shane: Hey, bud… We're still here. We're still hanging in. Look, I'm sorry, man. I mean watching the same crap every time I come in here. Everybody pitched in on these. They uh… They wanted me to bring them down, they send their love and they just… They hope you come back real soon. Linda and Diane from dispatch, they picked these out. You probably could tell, hmm? I'll just set this on your side table, ok?

Shane sits them on the drawer next to the bed. When he goes out of sight, we see Rick is hallucinating.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076729/releaseinfo

IMDb


Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

Release Info

USA 19 May 1977 (New York City, New York)










1994 television miniseries "The Stand" DVD video:

01:15:50 Disc 1


Mother Abagail: Hello there, East Texas. What kept you?

Stu Redman: I was lost in the corn. Then I heard the guitar. It sounds so sweet.

Mother Abagail: I ain't been able to make a decent F chord in 20 years. But thank you kindly.

Stu Redman: Who are you? Where is this?

Mother Abagail: I'm Abagail Freemantle. And this is Hemingford Home. Stuart, those folks who got you won't leave you to live much longer. You know that, don't you?

Stu Redman: I reckon maybe I do.

Mother Abagail: The beast is loose in the streets of Bethlehem. The rats are in the corn.

Stu Redman: I don't follow you, ma'am. Ma'am? Ma'am, ma'am? Where are you?

Mother Abagail: Folks around these parts just call me Mother Abagail, East Texas.

Randall Flagg: AHHH!!!










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=bourne-supremacythe

Springfield! Springfield!


Bourne Supremacy,The (2004)


Timeline it with what we know
about Bourne's movements.
Turn it upside down and see what we find.
Come on, guys. We ran this guy's life
with total control for all those years.
We should be a step ahead of him.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 9:39 PM Pacific Time USA Monday 14 July 2014 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/07/and-it-was-called-yellow.html


And I still have the ribbons to prove it, I wrote in that email I sent to the White House from where I was living at the Crossland on Sprague back in the summer of the year 2004.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: July 27, 2006


That must be why I declared in protest that time that I, thinking of myself still as Kerry Burgess, had been out fighting against terroristic actions when George W. was still driving around drunk here in the U.S.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 27 July 2006 excerpt ends]
[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 14 July 2014 excerpt ends]













https://www.google.com/maps/@47.657124,-117.2326135,3a,21.9y,324.64h,97.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFCNe0-Rv7D38hzdNeFT-CQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Google Maps


12805 E Sprague Ave

Spokane Valley, Washington










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/quotes

IMDb


Apocalypse Now (1979)

Quotes


[first lines]

Willard: [voiceover] Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse.

[grabs at flying insect]

Willard: I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.



































DSC08264.jpg










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=apocalypse-now

Springfield! Springfield!


Apocalypse Now (1979)


It was|a real choice mission, and when it was over,|I'd never want another. What do you want?

Are you all right,|Captain?

What's it look like?

Are you Captain Willard,|505th Battalion?

Affirmative. Hey, buddy, are you going to|shut the door?

We have orders to|escort you to the airfield.

What are the charges?

Sir?

What did I do?

There's no charges,|Captain. You have orders to report|to Com-Sec Intelligence, Nha Trang. All right?










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34007

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Message to the Senate Transmitting Two Conventions on Nuclear Accidents

March 23, 1987

To the Senate of the United States:

I submit herewith, for Senate advice and consent to ratification, the Convention on Early Notification of a Nuclear Accident, with declaration, and the Convention on Assistance in the Case of a Nuclear Accident or Radiological Emergency, with declarations. These conventions were adopted on September 26, 1986, in Vienna at a Special Session of the General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency and signed by the United States on that date. I also transmit herewith, for the information of the Senate, the report of the Department of State concerning the conventions.

At the May 1986 Tokyo Economic Summit, in view of the Chernobyl accident, I proposed, and the other heads of government agreed, that a convention providing for prompt notification of nuclear accidents with significant transboundary effects should be urgently drafted. The international community has acted with exceptional speed. Two conventions have been prepared and adopted by consensus. The convention on notification requires state parties to report promptly the occurrence of the accident and to provide information relevant to minimizing radiological consequences. The convention on assistance sets out an international framework to facilitate prompt assistance in the event of a nuclear accident or radiological emergency.

The United States has initiated many steps to deal with nuclear safety in the aftermath of the Chernobyl accident. These conventions fill key gaps that existed in the international structure; they reflect an international consensus. There should be a domestic consensus in support of the conventions as well, and I urge the Senate to act expeditiously in giving its advice and consent to ratification.

RONALD REAGAN

The White House,

March 23, 1987.





http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34006

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Statement on the Strategic Defense Initiative

March 23, 1987

It was 4 years ago today that America's Strategic Defense Initiative was set in motion. Then, in a television address to the Nation, I called on America's scientific community to determine if it were possible to develop a defense against ballistic missiles, a system based on deterring aggression through protection rather than threatening retaliation, a system that could, perhaps, free the world from the threat of these deadly weapons. And so, in March 1983 America and its allies began on the journey toward finding a defense against ballistic missiles.

Today, 4 years later, we have made remarkable progress towards that great objective. This is to the credit of the many members of our scientific and technical communities who joined this effort and to the Members of the Congress who have supported this plan. They understood that the Soviet Union has been working for more than a decade on its own strategic defense systems, even while it has been deploying hundreds of new offensive nuclear weapons. They understood how dangerous it would be if the Soviet Union had a defense and we did not. They understood, also, that it is possible for us to design and build a strategic defense. And they understood that a system not only had to work but also had to be able to survive attacks itself and be more cost-effective than proliferating offenses. Now, thanks to them and their hard work and vision, and to the vision and perseverance of the American people and of our allies, all humanity can begin to look forward to a new era of security when the burden of nuclear terror is lifted from its shoulders.

One thing is clear: SDI truly serves the purposes of offensive weapons reduction. SDI can help us move toward a safer world. I have repeatedly pledged that SDI capabilities will never be used for offensive purposes. Like an effectively verifiable arms reduction agreement with which all parties comply, SDI can reduce the risk of war and the threat of ballistic missiles to mankind. It can reduce the danger of accidental warfare and give us the kind of insurance policy we need against violations of a future arms reduction treaty. And it has been a singularly effective instrument for bringing the Soviets to the bargaining table. In 4 years we have come far, and together we can continue on this journey toward achieving humanity's ancient dream: a world in which swords are beaten into plowshares and war is preached no more.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 9:42 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Saturday 13 February 2016