Tuesday, February 09, 2016

To Catch a Thief




http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=sherlock-holmes-and-the-woman-in-green

Springfield! Springfield!


Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green


In all four cases.
The murderer
risks capture.
By stopping to
secure a finger.
And what for?
Who knows?
He's just a madman.
Perhaps there's a
method in his madness.
If we could just trace
those missing fingers.



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/quotes

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Quotes


Sherlock Holmes: If we could just trace those missing fingers!










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=sherlock-holmes-and-the-woman-in-green

Springfield! Springfield!


Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green


Now. Take your time.
I couldn't sleep
a wink last night.
Then I started
hearing things.
Hearing things.
What sort of things?
I heard someone
in the garden
underneath my window.
Then I saw a figure moving
down the garden path.
And I recognized
my father.
Stealing through his
own garden like a thief.
He had a spade
in his hand.
And he stopped
by the greenhouse
where he started to dig.
This morning at daybreak.
I strolled on
to the garden.
And found this.
A finger.
A human finger.
Ring up Scotland Yard.
Will you. Watson?
Ask them to get a hold
of Inspector Gregson.
And tell him to
meet us at once at
Sir George Fenwick's
house in Kingston.
Operator?
Give me
Scotland Yard. Quick!










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 4:18 AM Thursday, September 29, 2011 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2011/09/star-constellations.html


Star constellations





I wasn't going to write about a dream I just before waking up and getting out of bed but I was later in the shower and I started thinking about a possible explanation for the star pattern I saw in my dream and so I decided to write about that part and to try to write the least about the rest of the dream as I could, which I feel compelled to not write about for no real reason.

The compelling part about the dream is the pattern of stars I saw. The dream seems to have started with me and I was out in the woods somewhere and the light was dark and I had some kind of ability to radiate laser beams from my fingers or somehow create laser beams. As I think more about that as I write this now I thing again that I did not actually see the laser beams but I am vaguely aware that I could see the patterns I created on people with the laser beams. The notion of the laser beam is never really visually established in the dream but that is a notion that is strongly in my mind after waking up. The last thing I seemed to do with my laser beam power was that I saw myself form a pattern of stars on the ground to my left. The power seemed to stop working at that point. I also found my puzzled about how there were five stars in my creation when I expected only four. Since I was wearing those stars on the epaulet on my black jacket then I was thinking of how the United States Marine Corps has never had a five star general officer and I don't think the USMC should ever have a five star general officer.

What I puzzled about was how the pattern of those stars did not seem consistent with how an officer of the United States military would wear a five-star pattern on his uniform. I seemed to be wearing the winter working dress uniform of the United States Navy. What was unusual was how one of the stars was set away from the other four stars.

When I was in the shower and was thinking about that visualization in my mind of those stars that I had created on the ground and then was wearing my shoulder, on the black jacket that is the type United States Navy sailors used to refer to as the "Eisenhower" jacket, I wondered if that pattern was supposed to represent the star constellation we call the Big Dipper.

Ah, yes. That has got to be it. Just now as I wrote that word "Big Dipper" I remember dialog that happened soon later that is consistent with that notion.

So going back to what I was thinking as I decided to write this note, I thought about how my visualization of the star pattern did not match the Big Dipper very well. But then I started to wonder if I was seeing the pattern of the Big Dipper while I was standing on a planet or moon that circled a star that was very distant from our planet Earth.

I keep thinking of reasons why that all could be just a normal dream. But maybe it is not.

After my laser beam power stopped working, I saw some of the people I had been forming laser beam patterns on and they were all getting into cars and leaving in a long procession of army-type vehicles. They all seemed to be from World War 2. I noted the color pattern of one of the vehicles but I cannot think of any comment to make about it.

Then I seemed to be a sentry on a hill in downtown Seattle Washington. I was aware that I was totally alone in my role. I was also aware I was wearing a United States military uniform but I cannot visualize any details about it from the dream. I was there for a long time. Some kind of conflict started among a few local people that had walked up and I was trying to stay out of it. The next part I remember from the dream is that I was sitting in a room and there were people around me and one was the old woman whose dialog is consistent with the notion that I was seeing the star pattern of the Big Dipper constellation. Then a woman stood up and she was also wearing the winter dress uniform of the United States Navy and I saw the postal clerk rating symbol on her uniform. Then I saw a person walk into the room I was in from the room next door with the half-window walls and where I had been aware that a conference was going on that all of us had been waiting for to get finished and that person who walked out of that room was a person that I understood in the dream to by my brother Thomas Reagan and he seemed to be about eight years old. He was also wearing the winter working dress uniform of the United States Navy and I noticed just after I saw the woman's rating symbol that he was also wearing the postal clerk rating symbol. But he had the E-1 rate white symbol patch on one sleeve and the E-2 rate white stripe patch on the other sleeve, which is definitely not a uniform standard of the United States Navy. After thinking about that after waking up I decided that detail is supposed to represent the E-1 and E-2 aircraft of the United States Navy.

As he walked up to me, I asked him where he had been because I have been standing on that hill everyday. There was some unspoken dialog about me having food during that time.

There was some other stuff that happened in the dream but I decided to end this note with his response to me about how he had heard I had picked up more stars. I distinctly remember his words to me at that point. He asked me "Is it worth it?"

At that point, I took off two stars from the jacket epaulet on my shoulder, which seemed to be the type used for award stars on United States military medals and ribbons, and I was aware that left me with three stars on my shoulder.

So as I was wondering after getting out of the shower is that I could have just had a normal dream. But I could have just dreamed that final star symbol I need.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 29 September 2011 excerpt ends]










From 1/4/1961 ( Erwin Schrödinger deceased ) To 9/29/2011 is 18530 days

18530 = 9265 + 9265

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate Columbia South Carolina ) is 9265 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate Columbia South Carolina ) To 9/29/2011 is 7502 days

7502 = 3751 + 3751

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/9/1976 ( Gerald Ford - Remarks at a Meeting on the Bicentennial Exposition on Science and Technology ) is 3751 days



From 5/1/1949 ( the discovery of the planet Neptune moon Nereid by Gerard Kuiper ) To 9/29/2011 is 22796 days

22796 = 11398 + 11398

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1997 ( Microsoft Outlook 97 ) is 11398 days



From 10/28/1994 ( premiere US film "Stargate" ) To 9/29/2011 is 6180 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 10/4/1982 ( Leroy Grumman deceased ) is 6180 days



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 also known as Matthew Kline for official duty and also known as Wayne Newman for official duty ) To 9/29/2011 is 7560 days

7560 = 3780 + 3780

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/9/1976 ( Gerald Ford - Statement Announcing Expansion of the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board ) is 3780 days



From 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) To 9/29/2011 is 7560 days

7560 = 3780 + 3780

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/9/1976 ( Gerald Ford - Statement Announcing Expansion of the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board ) is 3780 days



From 4/23/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - George Bush - Remarks Prior to a Meeting With General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Commander of the U.S. Forces in the Persian Gulf ) To 9/29/2011 is 7464 days

7464 = 3732 + 3732

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/21/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut bound for deep space in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the planet Mars and his documented and lawful exclusive claim to the territory of the planet Mars ) is 3732 days



From 6/15/1945 ( premiere US film "The Woman in Green" ) To 5/12/1991 ( I was the winning race driver at the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix ) is 16767 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/29/2011 is 16767 days



From 9/6/1909 ( Robert Peary first reported his earlier supposed discovery of the North Pole ) To 8/3/1955 ( premiere US film "To Catch a Thief" ) is 16767 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/29/2011 is 16767 days



From 12/8/2003 ( premiere US TV miniseries "Battlestar Galactica" ) To 9/29/2011 is 2852 days

2852 = 1426 + 1426

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/28/1969 ( premiere US TV series "The Bold Ones: The Protectors" ) is 1426 days










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/quotes

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Quotes


Dr. John H. Watson: An evil man, Holmes, but... what a horrible death!

Sherlock Holmes: Better than he deserved.

Dr. John H. Watson: What are you thinking of?

Sherlock Holmes: I'm thinking of all the women who can come and go in safety in the streets of London tonight. The stars watch in the heavens, and in our own little way, we too, old friend, are privileged to watch over our city.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Outlook

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook or Outlook (full name Microsoft Office Outlook since Outlook 2003) is a personal information manager from Microsoft, and is part of the Microsoft Office suite.

Although often used mainly as an e-mail application, it also includes a Calendar, Task Manager, Contact Manager, note taking, a journal and web browsing.

It can be used as a stand-alone application, but can also operate in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server to provide enhanced functions for multiple users in an organization, such as shared mailboxes and calendars, Exchange public folders, Sharepoint lists and meeting time allocation.


Versions

Outlook 97 (version 8.0) included in Office 97 released January 16, 1997



http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1997_1389154

chron

Houston Chronicle Archives

New `Office' launch likely to improve Microsoft's outlook

STEVE LOHR New York Times

TUE 01/14/1997

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

NEW YORK - Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft, will take the stage of Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center in Manhattan on Thursday to introduce "Office 97," the new version of the company's software bundle for office computing.

But the real star of the show, analysts say, will probably be a new application, called "Outlook," that has been added to the Office software suite, joining such popular programs as Word and Excel.

Outlook, analysts say, shows the progress Microsoft Corp. has made in linking its traditional products with the Internet, a key element in the company's effort to keep its sales rising rapidly.

And the new application, they add, also represents Microsoft's bid for leadership against rivals such as IBM and Netscape Communications in the fast-growing market for so-called groupware programs, which help employees work in collaborative groups.



http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1997/jan97/97avilpr.mspx

Microsoft Announces the Immediate Availability of Office 97

Market Momentum Builds for Innovative New Product Designed for Customers

NEW YORK, Jan. 16, 1997 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the immediate availability of Office 97, the new version of the world's best-selling productivity suite, which integrates the ease of intelligent applications with the power of the Web. Microsoft launched Office 97 with a worldwide, 30-city tour and a customer event today in New York that includes a keynote address by Microsoft Chairman and CEO Bill Gates










http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms268893.aspx

Microsoft Developer Network

Outlook Object Model Overview

To develop add-ins for Microsoft Office Outlook, you can interact with the objects that are provided by the Outlook object model. The Outlook object model provides classes and interfaces that represent items in the user interface. For example, the Application object represents the entire application, the MAPIFolder object represents a folder that contains e-mail messages or other items, and the MailItem object represents an e-mail message.

This topic provides a brief overview of some of the main objects in the Outlook object model. For resources where you can learn more about the entire Outlook object model, see Using the Outlook Object Model Documentation.


VBA Object Model Reference

The VBA object model reference documents the Outlook object model as it is exposed to Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code. For more information, see Outlook 2010 Object Model Reference.

All of the objects and members in the VBA object model reference correspond to types and members in the Outlook PIA. For example, the Inspector object in the VBA object model reference corresponds to the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.Inspector object in the Outlook PIA. Although the VBA object model reference provides code examples for most properties, methods, and events, you must translate the VBA code in this reference to Visual Basic or Visual C# if you want to use them in an Outlook add-in project that you create by using Visual Studio.





http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff865816.aspx

Office Dev Center


Automating Outlook from a Visual Basic Application

Office 2013

Because Microsoft Outlook supports Automation, you can control Outlook from any program that is written with Microsoft Visual Basic. Automation provides a standard method for one application to access the objects, methods, properties, and events of other applications that support Automation.

The Outlook object model provides all of the functionality necessary to manipulate data that is stored in Outlook folders, and it provides the ability to control many aspects of the Outlook user interface (UI).

To start an Outlook Automation session, you can use either early or late binding. Late binding uses either the Visual Basic GetObject function or the CreateObject function to initialize Outlook. For example, the following code sets an object variable to the Outlook Application object, which is the highest-level object in the Outlook object model. All Automation code must first define an Outlook Application object to be able to access any other Outlook objects.





http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff864479.aspx

Office Dev Center


Security Behavior of the Outlook Object Model

Office 2013

The Outlook object model includes entry points to access Outlook data, save data to specified locations, and send e-mails. These entry points are available to legitimate and malicious application developers alike. Versions of Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 applied with the Outlook E-mail Security Update, and all subsequent versions starting from Outlook 2000 SP2 use the Object Model Guard to help protect users. The Object Model Guard warns users and prompts users for confirmation when untrusted applications attempt to use the object model to obtain e-mail address information, store data outside of Outlook, execute certain actions, and send e-mail messages. Although the Object Model Guard succeeds in identifying and protecting these entry points, two main issues exist that render the Object Model Guard rather unpractical:

The default circumstances that applications invoke the Object Model Guard in earlier versions of Outlook can result in excessive security prompting for legitimate applications.

The limitations of COM and Windows in identifying the specific application that is invoking the Object Model Guard have made it difficult for users to respond to the security prompts with certainty.





http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818529

Microsoft


Microsoft Support


Article ID: 818529 - Last Review: March 31, 2011 - Revision: 9.0


If you are running a version of Windows or of Internet Explorer that is in the extended phase of the product life cycle and you have an Extended Support Contract, contact your Technical Account Manager (TAM) or Applications Development Consultant (ADC)










http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/nereid/indepth

NASA


Nereid: In Depth


Nereid is one of the outermost of Neptune's known moons and is among the largest. Nereid is unique because it has one of the most eccentric orbits of any moon in our solar system. Nereid is so far from Neptune that it requires 360 Earth days to make one orbit. This odd orbit suggests that Nereid may be a captured asteroid or Kuiper Belt object or that it was greatly disturbed during the capture of Neptune's largest moon Triton.

Discovery:

Nereid was discovered on 1 May 1949 by Gerard P. Kuiper with a ground-based telescope. It was the last satellite of Neptune to be discovered before Voyager 2's discoveries four decades later.




















http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160123.html

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.

2016 January 23

Big Dipper, Deep Sky



































http://hethrael.org/big-dipper/as-seen-from-regulus-celestia.html

The Big Dipper as seen from Regulus.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 02:29 AM Pacific Time Seattle USA Friday 29 March 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/03/gemini.html


Gemini



03/28/2013 01:10 AM
According to AstroViewer Online 3.1.6

http://www.astroviewer.com/interactive-night-sky-map.php


On 29 September 2011 the stars Castor and Pollux, forming Gemini, or The Twins, both rose above the horizon of the Seattle night sky just after midnight.

Both stars would have become visible in the night sky just after midnight on 29 September 2011.

03/28/2013 01:16 AM
The Queen constellation, which is what AstroViewer labels Cassiopeia, is always visible in the night sky in Seattle. The Queen nebula is just about opposite in the sky from the Big Dipper and I think that is the "old woman" I saw in that dream that morning. which is something I thought of only this morning.

In the sleeping dream that morning she said to me "At least we can go somewhere we can spit."

03/28/2013 01:29 AM
As best I can tell September 29th is the only day of the year when Castor and Pollux have just become visible right at midnight. As the days progress after September 29th Castor and Pollux are higher in the sky at the point of midnight.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 29 March 2013 excerpt ends]










http://www.tv.com/shows/battlestar-galactica/battlestar-galacticathe-mini-series-1603714/

tv.com


Battlestar Galactica Episode 1

Battlestar Galactica:The Mini-Series

AIRED: 12/8/03










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-bold-ones-the-protectors/a-case-of-good-whiskey-at-christmas-time-12505/

tv.com


The Bold Ones: The Protectors Season 1 Episode 1

A Case Of Good Whiskey At Christmas Time

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 28, 1969 on NBC

AIRED: 9/28/69










http://www.oocities.org/elzj78/bsgminiseries.html


BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: Miniseries (2003)


[ Opening scene: ] Caption: The Cylons were created by man.

They were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies.

(Image of a ship docking with a space station.)

And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_E_series

Honda E series

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Models

E0 developed in 1986

E1, developed in 1987

E2, developed in 1989























https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Honda_E1_Fan_Fun_Lab.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_E1_Fan_Fun_Lab.jpg


File:Honda E1 Fan Fun Lab.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Description Honda E1































https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Honda_E2_Fan_Fun_Lab.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_E2_Fan_Fun_Lab.jpg


File:Honda E2 Fan Fun Lab.jpg

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository


Description Honda E2






















https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/E-1B_VAW-121_CVW-6_CVA-42.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E-1B_VAW-121_CVW-6_CVA-42.jpg


File:E-1B VAW-121 CVW-6 CVA-42.jpg

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
























https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/US_Navy_090713-N-2798I-005_An_E-2C_Hawkeye_assigned_to_the_Greyhawks_of_Carrier_Airborne_Early_Warning_Squadron_%28VAW%29_120_flies_over_Jacksonville%2C_Fla.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_090713-N-2798I-005_An_E-2C_Hawkeye_assigned_to_the_Greyhawks_of_Carrier_Airborne_Early_Warning_Squadron_(VAW)_120_flies_over_Jacksonville,_Fla.jpg


File:US Navy 090713-N-2798I-005 An E-2C Hawkeye assigned to the Greyhawks of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 120 flies over Jacksonville, Fla.jpg

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=catch-a-thief-the

Springfield! Springfield!


Catch a Thief, The (1955)


My jewels! I've been robbed! Someone stole my jewels! Help! Police! My diamonds! They've gone! Help! Help! Call the police! My jewels have been stolen! You had only one person to tail. Someone who lives in one of the greatest hotels of Cannes, who comes and goes as he pleases, and you manage to let him slip through your fingers!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/releaseinfo

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Release Info

USA 15 June 1945 (New York City, New York)



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/fullcredits

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Full Cast & Crew

Basil Rathbone ... Sherlock Holmes
Nigel Bruce ... Dr. John H. Watson










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/quotes

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Quotes


[first lines]

Inspector Gregson of Scotland Yard: [voiceover] I won't forget that morning, not if I live to be a hundred. I counted the men as they marched out of the yard; they'd hardly slept for weeks. We of the CID had slept even less, but the nightmare that kept us awake was all the same nightmare. That's why we weren't surprised when the commissioner asked us up to the conference room for a bit of a talk. He'd talked to us plenty, we knew that, but it didn't help any to know what was ahead of us.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/quotes

IMDb


The Woman in Green (1945)

Quotes


Sherlock Holmes: What a beautiful view, Watson. I'm quite enjoying it.

Dr. John H. Watson: No, you're not - your hypnotized. Stand still, Holmes, stand still.

Sherlock Holmes: Stop it, Watson. I'm quite alright.

Dr. John H. Watson: You mean you're not hypnotized?

Sherlock Holmes: Certainly not!

Dr. John H. Watson: Then what on earth are you doing, you idiot? Get down!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048728/releaseinfo

IMDb


To Catch a Thief (1955)

Release Dates

USA 3 August 1955 (Los Angeles, California)



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048728/fullcredits

IMDb


Full cast and crew for

To Catch a Thief (1955)


Cary Grant ... John Robie
Grace Kelly ... Frances Stevens










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_1909


September 1909

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following events occurred in September 1909:


September 6, 1909 (Monday)

Arctic explorer Robert Peary telegraphed the first report of his discovery, on April 6, of the North Pole. The transmission to the New York Times, which had purchased the rights to his story, was from Indian Harbor at Labrador, where the ship Roosevelt had brought him. Peary's wire to the Times read, "I have the pole, April sixth. Expect arrive Chateau Bay September seventh. Secure control wire for me there and arrange expedite transmission big story. PEARY." At that time, Peary learned that the previous week, explorer Frederick Cook had claimed to have reached the North Pole on April 21, 1908.



https://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/features/2009/northward-over-the-ice.shtml

Bowdoin


Northward Over the Great Ice

Story posted February 10, 2009

Author: Edgar Allen Beem

100 Years After Peary’s Quest to the North Pole, The Race Is Still On.

So declared Commander Robert E. Peary in the October 1904 issue of National Geographic. Five years later, Peary, Bowdoin Class of 1877, would stake his claim to being the first man to reach the Pole, an epic endeavor that was the early 20th century equivalent of a moon landing.

From 1900 to 1913, more column inches in The New York Times were devoted to the North Pole than to any other story, in large part due to the Great Polar Controversy that played out in the press over competing claims to its attainment.

In 1908-09, Robert Peary, with fellow Bowdoin graduate (and later explorer in his own right) Donald B. MacMillan ’98 heading one of the supply support parties, raced to the North Pole amidst speculation that there would be undiscovered lands and a fortune in natural resources to be found at the top of the Earth.

On September 6, 1909, Peary cabled the Associated Press from Labrador that he and a small party of explorers had indeed reached the North Pole by dog sledge on April 6 of that year. The week before, however, Dr. Frederick A. Cook, a former Peary associate, had asserted that he had made it to the North Pole a year earlier on April 21, 1908. A century’s worth of books (and now websites) have kept the controversy alive, though the general consensus has been that Robert Peary’s claim was the more credible.

As Peary and Cook slipped into history, the North Pole disappeared from the public’s radar screen for much of the 20th century. In 2008-09, however, the North Pole is again very much in the news, as the Arctic Ocean is the focus of debates over climate change and competing international claims to its control. With the Arctic sea ice and Greenland ice cap melting at a record pace and the fabled Northwest Passage between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans opening up to shipping as the Arctic Ocean becomes ice-free, commercial, military, diplomatic, and scientific interest in the North Pole has never been greater.

“When Peary discovered that there was no land at the North Pole, the world turned its back on the place,” observes Susan Kaplan, director of Bowdoin’s Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum. “There was no economic advantage to going there, so countries were no longer interested. One hundred years later, the supreme irony is that now we’ve got global warming and the world is again realizing the Arctic Ocean is of tremendous strategic and economic significance.”

Bowdoin College, as the alma mater of Peary (1856-1920) and MacMillan (1874-1970), is very much involved not only in preserving the history of Arctic exploration but also in contemporary scientific, cultural, and political studies of the region.



http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/geography/geography/arctic/peary.htm

THE ROBINSON LIBRARY


Robert E. Peary

leader of the first "land" expedition to the North Pole

Robert Edwin Peary was born in Cresson, Pennsylvania, on May 6, 1856. He graduated from Bowdoin College in1877, served as a draftsman for the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey in Washington, D.C., from 1879 to 1881, and became a civil engineer in the United States Navy, with the rank of Lieutenant, in 1881. From 1884 to 1885 and from 1887 to 1888, Peary worked on surveys for a canal across Nicaragua. He served as assistant engineer during the first period, and chief engineer during the second.

Peary's first foray into the Arctic came in 1886, when he made a trip into the interior of Greenland. This experience interested him in undertaking further expeditions to explore the uncharted Arctic regions, and upon his return to the United States he began courting the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences for its support in sponsoring such explorations. In 1891 the Academy put him charge of a polar expedition. Setting out from Inglefield Gulf on the northwest coast of Greenland in the spring of 1892, Peary accompanied Norwegian explorer Eivind Astrup to the northeast coast, thereby proving that Greenland is an island. During this expedition Peary discovered and named Independence Bay on the northern coast of Greenland, on July 4, 1892. He also studied the Cape York Eskimos, the most northerly people in the world. Other expeditions between 1893 and 1897 also resulted in important scientific discoveries about the nature of the polar regions. In 1898, Peary published Northward over the Great Ice, an account of his work and discoveries to that time.

In 1897, Peary was granted a five-year leave of absence from the Navy to continue his exploration of the Arctic. The following year, he set out in the Windward on a voyage that he hoped would result in discovery of the North Pole. He was gone for four years, but did not succeed in his main purpose. His party surveyed the northern coast of Greenland and reached a latitude of 84º 17' 27", about 390 miles south of the North Pole, the farthest north that anyone had then gone in the Western Hemisphere. The expedition also reached Greenland's northernmost point, which Peary named Cape Morris Jessup, in honor of the president of the American Museum of Natural History. Most importantly, however, Peary gained an intimate knowledge of Eskimo survival skills that would serve him well in his future expeditions and established advance placements of supply depots in developing the so-called Peary System of Arctic travel.

Promoted to Commander upon his return to the United States, Peary began making preparations for another expedition almost immediately. On July 16, 1905, he and his party set sail from New York City aboard the Roosevelt, a ship he had had especially built for the purpose, with two years' supplies on board. The Roosevelt wintered on the north coast of Ellesmere Island, and on February 21, 1906, the party set out across the ice fields of the Arctic Ocean. The expedition reached latitude 87º 6', establishing a new "farthest north" record, but was forced to turn back about 200 miles from the pole because of melting ice and bad weather. Peary's book Nearest the Pole (1907) tells of this journey.

In 1908, Peary again set out in the Roosevelt for the North Pole. After wintering at Ellesmere Island, Peary's expedition set out across the ice from Cape Columbia on March 1, 1909. The party moved in sections, one in front of another, and one after another of the group turned back as supplies diminished. Only four Eskimos and Peary's chief assistant, Matthew A. Henson, were with Peary when, on April 6, 1909, the North Pole was reached. The group spent 30 hours at the pole, taking soundings that proved that the sea around the North Pole is not a shallow body of water as had been believed, before setting out on the return trip. The party, with the exception of one drowned, returned safely to the Roosevelt, which left her winter quarters on July 18 and reached civilization on September 5.

Peary announced his achievement to the world on September 6, 1909.



http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/22576108/peary-cook-who-discovered-north-pole

EBSCO HOST Connection


TITLE Peary or Cook: who discovered the North Pole?

AUTHOR(S) Weems, John Edward

PUB. DATE April 1962

SOURCE American Heritage;Apr1962, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p18

SOURCE TYPE Periodical

DOC. TYPE Article

ABSTRACT The article focuses on the controversy concerning the discovery of the North Pole being contested by Americans Frederick A. Cook and Robert E. Peary. On September 1, 1909, Cook sent a telegram and announced his success of reaching the North pole on April 21, 1908. However, on September 6, 1909, Peary sent a telegram claiming the same feat as Cook. It was later found out that Cook is a fraud and that Peary is the one who is telling the truth.











































http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/yck/gdE/yckgdEeXi.png



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 12:59 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 09 February 2016