Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Pink Floyd

I’m not sure precisely what was my relationship with the band Pink Floyd. I have theories, but I have conflicting thoughts about the nature of my work with that band. One theory is that I wrote and composed all the music while the people known as Pink Floyd were actors I hired to perform the music in live concerts and to generally promote my work. But I am not sure. But yet, I feel there is something there that I can almost remember.

I sense connections to other bands, such as The Doors, which I have already described, as well as to Depeche Mode. I wonder a lot about Depeche Mode because of the CD’s I remember listening to during my artificial life. Why would I “remember” any of that? I "remember" that I listened to a dual-set of CD's from The Doors - "The Best Of The Doors" - as well as two CD's from Depeche Mode. I listened to those CD's over and over. Most nights, as I "remember" it, I sat there in my computer room playing a game on my Commodore computer named "Wasteland" while those CD's were playing.

In my artificial “memories,” I got out of the Navy in 1990 and moved to Greenville, South Carolina, where I got a job providing electronic and mechanical support to Automated Teller Machines for a bank named First Federal. I moved into my apartment there in Greenville and bought some new furnishings. I “remember” that I bought a Mitsubishi television and VCR that I liked a lot. I don’t know what happened to the VCR but I still had that television, along with the Philco television, until 2005. I also bought a Kenwood amplifier/tuner and multi-disc CD player that I was very happy with and I still had those also until 2005. So anyway, I moved into an apartment on a street named Wexford, and about a year ago, I began to understand that location was a major clue in itself.

There was one day I was sitting there in that homeless shelter in Seattle’s Pioneer Square and the thought occurred to me that I had never actually lived at any of the addresses as I “remembered” any of it. One of the first clues I started to research was to find out if there was any special meaning to the name Wexford other than what I actually “remembered.” Even before I discovered the source of the name Wexford – relative to the U.S. Navy – I knew it was going to be something profound. Even before the page came up describing that County Wexford, Ireland, was the birth place of John Barry, I knew it was going to mean something very important to me. John Barry, in some sources, is considered the father of the U.S. Navy and I have also read that he was given the first officer’s commission in the U.S. Navy. From there, I was equally puzzled over why I later lived off a road named Dresden that was near a park named Sheffield. I would later interpret those as clues that I was onboard the HMS Sheffield on 5/4/82 when it was hit by an anti-ship missile and then burned out of control.

All of my “memories” are symbolic of my real life. Those “memories” of repairing cash machines in Greenville are highly symbolic of how much money is associated with my life. In a sense, I am a cash machine. I even have a “memory” from my youth of a kid named Varner who wrote in my class year book that I was “THE BANK.” If my memories are ever replaced again, this period will be represented by someone writing that I am “THE SANDBAG.”

The number of days from 3/3/1959 to 4/14/1977 is 6617 days. The date 4/14/77 is when I think I returned to Earth after blowing up the comet that was threatening Earth. From 3/3/1959 to 8/29/1989 is 11137 days. The date 8/29/89 is the release date of the single “Personal Jesus” from Depeche Mode.

Dividing 6617 by 11137 equals 0.59414

"Personal Jesus" is Depeche Mode's twenty-third UK single, released on August 29, 1989, and the first single from the then upcoming album Violator.
...
The song became a big hit across the world, and is one of Depeche Mode's most successful songs, along with the following single, "Enjoy the Silence". It was the first time the guitar was used as the main instrument on a Depeche Mode song. The single took the world by storm and featured more advertising than usual with Depeche Mode, with magazine ads and a telephone campaign (people could call a number seen on magazine ads that would play the song). In addition, the single was particularly successful commercially thanks to the fact that it was released six months prior to the album it would later appear on. Up to that point, it was best selling 12" single in Warner Brothers history.