Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Space Travel Is Boring"





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Re: Journal June 12, 2006


Early this morning, I suffered through about the first half-hour of Fast Times At Ridgemont High until I got bored and changed it.










http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/modestmouse/spacetravelisboring.html

MODEST MOUSE LYRICS

"Space Travel Is Boring"

Won herself a pass to some far off moon
It was second class but what's to lose
And looking out her window she could more than assume
That you can't see air or time
She's the only rocketeer in the whole damn place
They gave her a mirror so she could talk to a face
She still got plenty lonely but that's just the case
With time, time, time
Started hearing voices sometime in June
She knew she could go crazy but didn't think that soon
Now she doesn't feel lonely but she'd just as soon
Try, try, try try
Man shot to the moon
I read a paperback and want to come home soon
I'm shot to the moon
Been there a half an hour, I want to come home soon










From 7/21/1987 ( formal wedding ceremony for my wife Phoebe and me ) to 4/16/1996 ( Modest Mouse album "This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About" ) is: 3192 days

3192 = 1596 + 1596

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) is: 1596 days



From 12/24/1968 ( I was Apollo 8 spacecraft astronaut in orbit of Earth's moon ) to 4/16/1996 ( Modest Mouse album "This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About" ) is: 9975 days

From 3/4/1959 ( my birth date UK ) to 6/25/1986 ( Proclamation 5506—National Homelessness Awareness Week, 1986 ) is: 9975 days


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_a_Long_Drive_for_Someone_with_Nothing_to_Think_About

This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About

Studio album by Modest Mouse

Released April 16, 1996


Track listing

"Dramamine"
"Breakthrough"
"Custom Concern"
"Might"
"Lounge"
"Beach Side Property"
"She Ionizes & Atomizes"
"Head South"
"Dog Paddle"
"Novocain Stain"
"Tundra/Desert"
"Ohio"
"Exit Does Not Exist"
"Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset"
"Make Everyone Happy/Mechanical Birds"
"Space Travel Is Boring"










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/quotes

Memorable quotes for

Gremlins (1984)



Kate: Now I have another reason to hate Christmas.

Billy Peltzer: What are you talking about?

Kate: The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.










From 11/28/1976 ( I launched from the Jupiter moon Callisto for Earth and home ) to 1/10/1999 ( premiere TV episode "The Simpsons, Viva Ned Flanders" ) is: 8078 days

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 4/14/1981 ( I was the commander aboard the STS-1 spacecraft Columbia ) is: 8078 days



From 4/12/1981 ( I was the commander aboard the STS-1 spacecraft Columbia ) to 1/10/1999 ( premiere TV episode "The Simpsons, Viva Ned Flanders" ) is: 6482 days

From 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) to 4/14/1981 ( I was the commander aboard the STS-1 spacecraft Columbia ) is: 6482 days


http://www.snpp.com/episodes/AABF06

Viva Ned Flanders

Original Airdate on FOX: 10-Jan-1999



% Pulling into "Nero's Palace", Homer and Ned notice a man on a
% motorcycle high above them.



Homer: Hey! Lance Murdock!

Ned: If he's not careful, his scooter could roll right down that ramp.

Homer: He's a daredevil, Ned! He laughs at death.

Ned: Huh, when I wanna laugh, I'll take Bob Saget, thank you very much!



% Lance gets ready to defy death.



Announcer: And now, the indestructible Lance Murdock will jump his "suicycle" over an audience member. And he'll do it while attempting to open a locked safe on his head!

Any volunteers?

Homer: [pointing out Flanders] Pick him! Pick him!

Ned: No, Homer, no! I want do something exciting, but I can't just go from zero to thirty like that! I could be killed!

Homer: Fine, I'll do it. [to Murdock] Where do you want me?

Murdock: On the 'X'!

[Homer looks to a nearby ramp with a skull and crossbones 'X' on it. Red colored splatters decorate the incline]

Homer: You mean the one with the red paint?

Murdock: Uh, yeah, paint. Now, it's of critical importance that you don't ...

Homer: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll figure it out. This isn't rocket science.

Murdock: Well actually, there are several rockets mounted to the ...

Homer: Boring!










http://www.boeing.com/history/mdc/skyhawk.htm

A4D/A-4 Skyhawk Light Attack Bomber

Douglas built 2,960 Skyhawks between 1954 and 1979. Built small to be cost effective and so that more could be accommodated on a carrier, the lightweight, high-speed bombers were affectionately nicknamed "Heinemann's Hot Rod" (after Douglas designer Ed Heinemann), the Bantam Bomber, Mighty Mite and Scooter.


The Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron flew the A-4 Skyhawk II from 1974 to 1986.










http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/2000s/2004/jf/jf04text.htm

January–February 2004

NAVAL AVIATION NEWS

Farewell,

Scooter


With the deactivation of Composite Squadron 8 in September 2003, the last TA-4 Skyhawks were retired from Navy service. In the following account, a former aerial photographer remembers the aircraft as a superior photographic platform.

My first exposure to the A-4 Skyhawk came in 1970 when I was in junior high school. My father took me to the Cape May, N.J., National Air Races where the Air Barons of NAS Glenview, Ill., performed a tactical aerial display for the crowd of thousands. Flying A-4Ls they demonstrated toss bombing, in-flight refueling and formation fly-bys. I thought the “Scooter” was a really neat, noisy little aircraft.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-4_Skyhawk

The A-4 Skyhawk was an American attack aircraft originally designed to operate from United States Navy aircraft carriers. The aircraft was designed and produced by Douglas Aircraft Corporation (later McDonnell Douglas)

The diminutive Skyhawk soon received the nicknames "Scooter," "Bantam Bomber," "Tinker Toy Bomber," and, on account of its nimble performance, "Heinemann's Hot-Rod."

The A-4's nimble performance also made it suitable to replace the F-4 Phantom II when the Navy downsized their aircraft for the Blue Angels demonstration team until the availability of the F/A-18 Hornet in the 1980s.










From 7/21/1979 ( my wife Phoebe and I are married ) to 5/5/1998 ( Modest Mouse "Never Ending Math Equation" ) is: 6863 days

From 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) to 4/30/1982 ( my graduation and commissioning U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1982 ) is: 6863 days



From 11/26/1976 ( my first landing Jupiter moon Callisto ) to 5/5/1998 ( Modest Mouse "Never Ending Math Equation" ) is: 7830 days

7830 = 3915 + 3915

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 11/20/1969 ( I was Apollo 12 Intrepid astronaut walking on Earth's moon ) is: 3915 days


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Ending_Math_Equation

“Never Ending Math Equation”

Single by Modest Mouse

Released May 5, 1998