Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Peak Performance (1989)





http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/08.htm

Breaking The Ice
Mission date: Unknown
Original Airdate: Nov 07, 2001


HOSHI: Captain, I'm detecting a vessel closing on our position. It's Vulcan.

T'POL: The starship Ti'Mur.

ARCHER: Hail them. This is Captain Jonathan Archer of the Starship Enterprise.

VANIK [on viewscreen]: I'm Captain Vanik.

ARCHER: Pleased to meet you.

VANIK [on viewscreen]: You're a long way from Earth, Captain. Are you lost?

ARCHER: Not at all. Just taking a look at this comet.

VANIK [on viewscreen]: Our sensors detected it two days ago. We also decided to investigate.

ARCHER: Really? My science officer tells me that Vulcans that Vulcans aren't very interested in comets.

VANIK [on viewscreen]: Actually, it's your interest in the comet that we're investigating.

ARCHER: We plan to send a drilling team to the surface to collect core samples. You're welcome to participate.

VANIK [on viewscreen]: If you have no objection, we'd like to remain here and observe.










http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/08.htm

Breaking The Ice
Mission date: Unknown
Original Airdate: Nov 07, 2001


REED: I've never stood on a comet before.

TRAVIS: Has anyone?

REED: Good question.

TRAVIS: I've only seen snow twice in my life.

REED: Well, then it's only fitting that we commemorate the occasion.

TRAVIS: You mean plant a flag?

REED: No, too predictable.

TRAVIS: Snowball fight.

REED: The EV suits would take all the fun out of that. We'll just have to see how the spirit moves us when we get there.










From 7/2/1976 ( I intercepted the comet in the outer solar system and set to work at diverting it ) to 11/7/2001 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: Enterprise, Breaking the Ice" ) is: 9259 days

9259 = 1 + 4629 + 4629

From 7/2/1976 ( I intercepted the comet in the outer solar system and set to work at diverting it ) to 3/5/1989 ( actress Phoebe Cates, who is legally my wife and I am her husband ) is: 4629 days



From 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) to 11/7/2001 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: Enterprise, Breaking the Ice" ) is 1 day, 3 weeks, 459 months

'1-34-59' ( my birth date UK )


http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/121968.html

Star Trek: Enterprise

Breaking the Ice

Air Date: 11.07.2001


While the Enterprise crew researches a newly discovered comet, Archer tries to deal diplomatically with a Vulcan ship that is suspiciously watching them.










http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/battlestar/

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/battlestar/season3/galactica-320.htm


BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

3X20 - CROSSROADS (2)

Original Airdate (SciFi): 25-MAR-2007



(Viper 3)

Apollo: Galactica, Apollo. I'm in Viper 3. I have a bogey at my ten. I'm gonna go check it out. [She appears and disappears.] Where'd he go? Where the frak did you go? [She zooms him.] What the frak?!

Starbuck, pulling up alongside: Hi, Lee.

Apollo: Kara?

Starbuck: Don't freak out. It really is me. [Chuckles.] It's gonna be okay. I've been to Earth. I know where it is. And I'm gonna take us there.










From 12/27/1967 ( Bob Dylan “All Along the Watchtower” ) to 4/14/1977 ( I returned to Earth after successfully diverting comet in the outer solar system ) is: 3396 days

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 6/19/1968 ( I am U.S. military fighter jet ace during Vietnam War ) is: 3396 days


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Along_the_Watchtower

“All Along the Watchtower”

Song by Bob Dylan

Album John Wesley Harding

Released December 27, 1967

Recorded November 6, 1967



Crossroads (Battlestar Galactica) - the song is used several times in the episode as a diegetic source of music that only four characters can hear with full rendition in the last act of the episode.










http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/watchtower.html

All Along The Watchtower

Bob Dylan



"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_%28Battlestar_Galactica%29

Original airdate

March 18, 2007
March 25, 2007


"Crossroads" (Parts one and two) are the nineteenth and twentieth episodes of the third season and season finale from the science fiction television series, Battlestar Galactica.


Caprica Six returns again to the opera house. The vision progresses further this time and Caprica Six sees herself, Baltar and Hera looking up at the glowing, robed apparitions of the Final Five Cylons looking down on them from a balcony above. Compelled by their own shared auditory hallucination, Tory, Colonel Tigh, Tyrol, and Anders converge on a secluded room on Galactica, where they all hum the melody together and come to the distressing conclusion that they are all Cylons. When power is restored, DRADIS identifies four Cylon basestars bearing down on the fleet and Admiral Adama orders general quarters. All of the newly discovered Cylons return to their posts but are wary of what they might do. As the other pilots scramble to their ships, Lee returns to his locker to grab his flight gear, despite having been removed from flight status.

As Lee launches in his Viper, the song that Tigh, Tory, Anders, and Tyrol have been hearing is played clearly as music for the scene: it is Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower". After launch, Apollo separates from the other alert Vipers to chase a blip on his DRADIS. In the nebula, he sees Starbuck in a Mark II Viper like the one she had been flying when he saw her crash. She pensively says "Hi Lee. Don't freak out, it's really me. It's going to be OK. I've been to Earth, I know where it is, and I'm going to take us there." The episode ends with a massive zoom out from the two Vipers, past the Colonial fleet and closing basestars and out of the galaxy, then a zoom back that ends with a view of Earth, specifically North America, from space.










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crossroads

crossroads

a road that crosses another road, or one that runs transversely to main roads.

the place where roads intersect.

a point at which a vital decision must be made.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont

Capital Montpelier

Largest city Burlington

Vermont is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America.










http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/08.htm

Breaking The Ice
Mission date: Unknown
Original Airdate: Nov 07, 2001


ARCHER: Come in.

TUCKER: Well, we decrypted the message.

ARCHER: And?

TUCKER: It's not exactly what we expected. It's a letter.

ARCHER: What did it say?

TUCKER: It's personal.

ARCHER: What do you mean?

TUCKER: Very personal. You could order me to tell you, sir, but you wouldn't be happy if I did.

ARCHER: Why the hell was it encrypted?

TUCKER: That's what I want to know. Maybe Vulcans encrypt all their personal letters. All they had to do was send it through regular channels, mark it personal, and we'd have left it alone. But no, they had to encrypt it, force me to start snooping. I feel like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

ARCHER: Let it go, Trip. Come on, it was an honest mistake.

TUCKER: I can't let it go. I've got to tell her.

ARCHER: How's that going to help?

TUCKER: It's the right thing to do. At least I'll be able to look her in the eye without feeling guilty.

ARCHER: You're a good man. You might want to take a phase pistol with you.

TUCKER: I might need one.

TUCKER: Got a minute? In private?

T'POL: Excuse us, crewman. (crewman leaves)

TUCKER: Did you ever, did you ever do anything totally by mistake that you weren't very proud of?

T'POL: No.

TUCKER: Did you ever come across something that you thought was one thing so you reacted in a certain way, but then it turned out to be something completely different?

T'POL: Your point, Commander?

TUCKER: I found out about your message from the Vulcan ship.

T'POL: It was a personal matter.

TUCKER: Why wasn't it sent through normal Starfleet channels?

T'POL: That takes time. The letter was important.

TUCKER: So they sent it in code? Do you have any idea how suspicious that looked?

T'POL: You read my letter?










http://www.cswap.com/1998/Sphere/cap/en/25fps/a/01_00

Sphere


1:00:49
What are you thinking about?

1:00:50
That last part where he said,
"I am happy. "

1:00:52
Don't you want Jerry to be happy?

1:00:54
Honestly?

1:00:56
What's on your mind?

1:00:57
I would be happy if Jerry
had no emotions whatsoever.

1:01:00
Because the thing of it is,
here's Jerry. . .

1:01:03
. . .an emotional being, cooped up
for 300 years with no one to talk to. . .

1:01:08
. . .none of the socialization,
the emotional growth. . .

1:01:11
. . .that comes from contact
with other emotional beings. . . .

1:01:13
So?

1:01:16
What happens if Jerry gets mad?










http://www.cswap.com/1998/Sphere/cap/en/25fps/a/00_06

Sphere


:06:02
-Hold on. We'll get to that.
-I don't even know who you are.

:06:05
I know who you are.

:06:06
Who are you? Navy? Military?
What are you?

:06:09
You ever hear of the OSSA?

:06:11
They don't know who I am.
That should reassure you.










http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/08.htm

Breaking The Ice
Mission date: Unknown
Original Airdate: Nov 07, 2001



[Bridge]

HOSHI: Captain, you should take a look at this. (an image of the comet rotating)

[Comet surface]

(the drilling rig is set up and busy)

ARCHER [OC]: Archer to Lieutenant Reed.

REED: Go ahead, sir.

ARCHER [OC]: How's it going?

REED: We hit a layer of magnesite and cracked a drill bit, but we've replaced it.

ARCHER [OC]: You may want to pick up the pace a little bit.

REED: Sir?

ARCHER [OC]: The comet's rotational axis shifted when you set off those charges. In about two hours the shuttlepod will be facing the star.

[Bridge]

ARCHER: The temperature's going to shoot up by a couple of hundred degrees. I want you out of there before then.

[Comet surface]

REED: We'll be done with time to spare, sir.

ARCHER [OC]: Be sure you are. Archer out.

[T'Pol's quarters]

T'POL: (sitting on the floor, meditating) Come in.

TUCKER: You decide to tell me what Vanik said?

T'POL: Please, sit down.

TUCKER: I've never seen your quarters before. Cozy. (sits on floor) You know you're not supposed to have an open flame on the ship.

T'POL: I was given permission from the Captain. They're for meditation.

TUCKER: So, what can I do for you?

T'POL: Doctor Phlox believes that it might help if I was to discuss my problem with someone I felt comfortable confiding in.

TUCKER: You want to talk to me? Well, I'm not sure I'm going to be much help. I mean, I've only been in three relationships and they all went bust. Are you sure you wouldn't rather talk to Hoshi or Ensign Kimball? She's married.

T'POL: You were far from my first choice, but speaking with someone else would mean more people knowing about my situation.

TUCKER: I'll do anything I can. What's your problem?

T'POL: You read the letter.

TUCKER: Yes.

T'POL: Then you know that unless I leave Enterprise immediately, my wedding plans will be cancelled.

TUCKER: Have you talked to?

T'POL: Koss.

TUCKER: Have you talked to Koss about all this?

T'POL: We haven't spoken in many years. Marriages on Vulcan are arranged during childhood. I've only met Koss four times.

TUCKER: How can you be in love with a guy you've only met four times?

T'POL: It's assumed that we'd eventually develop an affection for one another.

TUCKER: So his parents send you an ultimatum? He doesn't have a say?

T'POL: His parents planned the union. It's their decision.

TUCKER: Boy. Where I come from, arranged marriages went out with slavery.

T'POL: Are you going to give me advice or criticize my people's tradition.

TUCKER: I'm still a little fuzzy on why they threatened to call it off in the first place.

T'POL: The ceremony was supposed to take place next week. When I decided to remain on Enterprise I requested a postponement. Koss's parents were insulted that I would put off our plans to serve on a human vessel.

TUCKER: Well, Vanik can take you home. Why don't you go marry Koss, then come back?

T'POL: It's customary for a husband and wife to reside together for at least one Vulcan year.

TUCKER: Maybe he can come to Enterprise.

T'POL: He's an architect. It would be illogical for him to live aboard a starship.

TUCKER: This whole thing sounds illogical.

T'POL: Your advice, Commander.

TUCKER: What do you want to do?

T'POL: That is irrelevant.

TUCKER: No, it's not. It's very relevant. Do you want to go back and marry this guy, spend a year with him, ten years, a hundred years, or do you want to stay on Enterprise?

T'POL: I have an obligation.

TUCKER: You've got an obligation to yourself. You've spent the last year around humans. If there's one thing you should have learned it's that we're free to make our own decisions. There's a lot to be said for personal choice.

T'POL: If you'd spent the last year on Vulcan, you would have learned that our commitment to tradition outweighs personal choice.

TUCKER: I respect your customs, but this marriage was arranged when you were a kid. A lot's happened since then. People change.

T'POL: Vulcan's don't.

TUCKER: Really.

T'POL: My obligation is to my culture, my heritage. It has to take precedence.

TUCKER: Sounds to me like you already made up your mind. Why the hell did you ask me here?

T'POL: It was a mistake. I apologise. (stands)

TUCKER: (goes to leave) Did it ever occur to you that you might have postponed the wedding because subconsciously you wanted to get out of it?

T'POL: That would imply that my subconscious mind controls my decisions. It doesn't.

TUCKER: Well it happens to humans all the time. Maybe you're picking up some of our bad habits.










http://www.cswap.com/1994/Timecop/cap/en/25fps/a/00_08

Timecop


:08:18
There's never enough time.

:08:21
Never enough for what?

:08:23
To satisfy a woman.

:08:26
Then you never want
to miss an opportunity.

:08:29
Are you busy?

:08:32
I'm meeting my husband.

:08:35
If I were him,
I would not keep you waiting.

:08:39
If he's not here when I turn around,
I'll go home with you.

:08:47
You'll do.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity%2C_Washington

Opportunity is a former census-designated place in Spokane County, Washington, United States. The population was 25,065 at the 2000 census. The area has been a city neighborhood of Spokane Valley since the city incorporated in 2003.










http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=47.657788~-117.231848&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24762991&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&sp=Polyline.ry8r5g56x54z_ry8qym56xsrm_ry8r0h56xtmq_Riverside____%230000FF_%23008000_2pt_Single_Solid_ry8r1z56xgfv_~Point.ry8qrt56xj2b_Riverside____&encType=1




http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=ry8qbs56xd34&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24762980&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&sp=Point.ry8np056xcgk_Opportunity%20Plaza____&encType=1










http://gallery.phoebe-cates.com/v/current/3722002.jpg.html





http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comforter

comforter

a quilt.

One who administers comfort or consolation.










From 3/5/1989 ( actress Phoebe Cates, who is legally my wife and I am her husband ) to 3/15/1998 ( as a U.S. Navy officer, I was secretly deployed on an official United States federal assignment and I remain 100% deployed ) is: 3297 days

From 3/15/1998 ( as a U.S. Navy officer, I was secretly deployed on an official United States federal assignment and I remain 100% deployed ) to 3/25/2007 ( William Shakespeare's King Lear, starring Kevin Kline, closes ) is: 3297 days


http://www.playbill.com/news/article/106767.html

Exit the King: Kevin Kline's Lear Closes March 25

The Public Theater's production of William Shakespeare's King Lear, starring Kevin Kline, closes March 25.

James Lapine directed the production, which began previews Feb. 9 and opened March 7.










From 11/15/1966 ( Gemini 12 spacecraft splashdown and I was Gemini 12 spacecraft astronaut ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 8271 days

8271 = 1 + 4135 + 4135

From 3/13/1978 ( Department of the Army Order 31-3, General Of The Armies ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 4135 days



From 11/19/1969 ( I was Apollo 12 Intrepid astronaut walking on Earth's moon ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 7171 days

7171 = 1 + 3585 + 3585

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 12/25/1968 ( I was Apollo 8 spacecraft astronaut in orbit of Earth's moon ) is: 3585 days



From 10/9/1971 ( I am board-certified surgeon ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 6482 days

From 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) to 4/14/1981 ( I was the commander aboard the STS-1 spacecraft Columbia ) is: 6482 days



From 7/23/1973 ( I passed the Multistate Bar Examination ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 5829 days

5829 = 1 + 2914 + 2914

From 7/16/1981 ( my wife ) to 7/8/1989 ( premiere TV episode "Star Trek: The Next Generation, Peak Performance" )(Saturday) is: 2914 days


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708753/

"Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Peak Performance (1989)

Original Air Date: 8 July 1989 (Season 2, Episode 21)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708753/plotsummary

Plot summary for

"Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Peak Performance (1989)


The Enterprise crew is ordered to participates in an elaborate Federation war game - in preparation for the Borg - in which Riker will command an inferior 80 year old ship. The Enterprise is joined by Kolrami who is a battle strategist from Zakdorn, who are know as having the most strategic minds in the known galaxy. Kolrami doesn't believe Riker is any good. However, Riker does a number of clever tricks to even the odds of the mock battle, but then a Ferengi battleship decides to join in since the Enterprise's weapons are off line for the war game. Riker and Picard trick the Ferengi and they flee. Kolarmi then agrees that Riker is one of the best.










From 9/15/1945 ( Roy Brocksmith ) to 2/6/1964 ( I was Olympic gold medalist at Innsbruck Olympics again on this day ) is: 6718 days

6718 = 3359 + 3359

'33-59' ( my birth date US )



From 9/15/1945 ( Roy Brocksmith ) to 3/13/1978 ( Department of the Army Order 31-3, General Of The Armies ) is: 11867 days

11867 = 1 + 5933 + 5933

'59-33' ( my birth date US )


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110735/

Roy Brocksmith
Date of Birth: 15 September 1945

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" .... Sirna Kolrami
- Peak Performance (1989) TV episode .... Sirna Kolrami










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708753/quotes

Memorable quotes for

"Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Peak Performance (1989)



[last lines]

[Data]: [on his final game of Strategema] While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement and settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely.

Doctor Pulaski: Then you *have* beaten him.

Lt. Cmdr. Data: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win.

Counselor Deanna Troi: Data!

Lt. Cmdr. Data: I busted him up!