Sunday, September 09, 2018

Warren Harding - Address at the Burial of an Unknown American Soldier




I thought I had mentioned this in my journal somewhere but I couldn't find any references. That was the thing with Wayne Burgess, as I remember being told, about him back in the 1960s. Everything was always 'cotton-picking-this' or 'cotton-picking-that'.










http://hvom.blogspot.com/2012/08/im-still-pretty-cotton-picking-angry.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 08, 2012

I'm still pretty cotton-picking angry.










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever [ Star Trek: The Original Series television series episode ]

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


SPOCK: Theft, Captain?

KIRK: Well, we'll steal from the rich and give back to the poor later. I think I'm going to like this century. Simple, easier to manage. We're not going to have any difficulty explaining

(Then he sees the policeman.)

POLICEMAN: Well?

KIRK: You're a police officer. I recognise the traditional accoutrements.

SPOCK: You were saying you'll have no trouble explaining it.

KIRK: My friend is obviously Chinese. I see you've noticed the ears. They're actually easy to explain.

(A crowd is gathering.)

SPOCK: Perhaps the unfortunate accident I had as a child.

KIRK: The unfortunate accident he had as a child. He caught his head in a mechanical rice picker. But fortunately, there was an American missionary living close by who was actually a skilled plastic surgeon in civilian life.










from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 02/11/07 5:46 PM
Yeah - I do have "memories" about changing my nose. There are also a lot of "memories" about Joseph Burgess' nose, in that he had it broken 3 different times when he wrecked his truck. Something else about Thedia telling me his nose looked like mine does now when he was young.












twitter_daniel-stewart_09-09-2018_1.jpg










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/quotes

IMDb

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Quotes

[first lines]

Alex: There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.










http://www.tv.com/shows/star-trek-deep-space-nine/playing-god-20851/

tv.com

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 2 Episode 17

Playing God

Aired Feb 27, 1994 on Syndicado

AIRED: 2/27/94










From 11/11/1921 ( Warren Harding - Address at the Burial of an Unknown American Soldier at Arlington Cemetery ) To 7/13/1984 ( premiere US film "The Last Starfighter" ) is 22890 days

22890 = 11445 + 11445

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/4/1997 is 11445 days



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) To 3/4/1997 is 2238 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/19/1971 ( premiere US film "A Clockwork Orange" )



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) To 3/4/1997 is 2238 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/19/1971 ( premiere US TV series pilot "The Waltons"::"The Homecoming: A Christmas Story" )



From 12/20/1994 ( on the ground in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) To 3/4/1997 is 805 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 1/16/1968 ( Bob Jones dead permanently after perpetuating his monkey-world-view of superstition to thousands of other gullible and cowardly chumps ) is 805 days



From 2/16/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Space Seed" ) To 3/4/1997 is 10974 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/19/1995 ( premiere US film "Toy Story" ) is 10974 days



From 2/6/1911 ( my biological maternal grandfather Ronald Reagan ) To 6/8/1942 ( Time Magazine "Lord Louis Mountbatten" ) is 11445 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/4/1997 is 11445 days



From 2/21/1997 ( the landing of the US space shuttle Discovery orbiter vehicle mission STS-82 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-82 pilot astronaut and my 4th official United States of America National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) To 3/4/1997 is 11 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/13/1965 ( the famed "F-word" incident by Kenneth Tynan on BBC in Britain ) is 11 days



From 4/21/1926 ( my biological paternal grandmother Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II ) To 12/21/1988 ( premiere US film "Working Girl" ) is 22890 days

22890 = 11445 + 11445

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/4/1997 is 11445 days



From 11/18/1996 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: First Contact" ) To 3/4/1997 is 106 days

106 = 53 + 53

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/25/1965 ( Dewayne Dinger ) is 53 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate ) To 3/4/1997 is 2180 days

2180 = 1090 + 1090

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 10/27/1968 ( Lise Meitner deceased ) is 1090 days



From 7/13/1940 ( Patrick Stewart ) To 3/4/1997 is 20688 days

20688 = 10344 + 10344

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/27/1994 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"::"Playing God" ) is 10344 days



http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=53815

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993 - 2001

Remarks Announcing the Prohibition on Federal Funding for Cloning of Human Beings and an Exchange With Reporters

March 4, 1997

The President. Good morning. I'm glad to be joined this morning by the Vice President; Secretary Shalala; Dr. Harold Varmus, the head of NIH; Dr. Harold Shapiro, the president of Princeton and the Chairman of our Bioethics Advisory Commission; and Dr. Jack Gibbons, the President's adviser on science and technology, all of whom know a lot about and care a lot about this issue we are discussing today.

The recent breakthrough in animal cloning is one that could yield enormous benefits, enabling us to reproduce the most productive strains of crop and livestock, holding out the promise of revolutionary new medical treatments and cures, helping to unlock the greatest secrets of the genetic code. But like the splitting of the atom, this is a discovery that carries burdens as well as benefits.

Science often moves faster than our ability to understand its implications. That is why we have a responsibility to move with caution and care to harness the powerful forces of science and technology so that we can reap the benefit while minimizing the potential danger.

This new discovery raises the troubling prospect that it might someday be possible to clone human beings from our own genetic material. There is much about cloning that we still do not know. But this much we do know: Any discovery that touches upon human creation is not simply a matter of scientific inquiry, it is a matter of morality and spirituality as well.

My own view is that human cloning would have to raise deep concerns, given our most cherished concepts of faith and humanity. Each human life is unique, born of a miracle that reaches beyond laboratory science. I believe we must respect this profound gift and resist the temptation to replicate ourselves. At the very least, however, we should all agree that we need a better understanding of the scope and implications of this most recent breakthrough. Last week I asked our National Bioethics Advisory Commission, headed by President Harold Shapiro of Princeton, to conduct a thorough review of the legal and the ethical issues raised by this new cloning discovery and to recommend possible actions to prevent its abuse, reporting back to me by the end of May.

In the meantime, I am taking further steps to prevent human cloning. The Federal Government currently restricts the use of Federal funds for research involving human embryos. After reviewing these restrictions, our administration believes that there are loopholes that could allow the cloning of human beings if the technology were developed. Therefore, today I am issuing a directive that bans the use of any Federal funds for any cloning of human beings. Effective immediately, no Federal agency may support, fund, or undertake such activity.

Of course, a great deal of research and activity in this area is supported by private funds. That is why I am urging the entire scientific and medical community, every foundation, every university, every industry that supports work in this area, to heed the Federal Government's example. I'm asking for a voluntary moratorium on the cloning of human beings until our Bioethics Advisory Commission and our entire Nation have had a real chance to understand and debate the profound ethical implications of the latest advances.

As we gain a fuller understanding of this technology, we must proceed not just with caution but also with a conscience. By insisting that not a single taxpayer dollar supports human cloning and by urging a moratorium on all private research in this area, we can ensure that as we move forward on this issue, we weigh the concerns of faith and family and philosophy and values, not merely of science alone.

Thank you very much.

1996 Campaign Financing

Q. Mr. President, how do you think the Vice President did in his rebuttal yesterday, and do you agree with him that you two are in a separate category in terms of fundraising from Federal property?

The President. Well, I agree with—number one, I thought he did very well, and I agree with the statement he made, and I agree that what he did was legal. But I also agree with the decision that he made.

I would remind you that we knew we had a very stiff challenge. We were fighting a battle not simply for our reelection but over the entire direction of the country for years to come and the most historic philosophical battle we've had in America in quite a long time over the direction of the budget, over our commitment to education, over whether we would dismantle large chunks of our environmental regulations and our public health regulations. It was a significant thing for America, and we knew that we were going to be outspent and outraised, but we knew we had to do everything we could to at least be competitive enough to get our message out. In fact, that is what happened. We were outspent and outraised by more than $200 million, but thanks to the Vice President's efforts and those of thousands of others and a million small donors, we were able to get our message out.

Q. But did you overdo it in a sense that now you're regretting, obviously—you must be— all the things that have happened since then?

The President. The only thing I regret—and I regret this very much, as I have said—is that a decision was made, which I did not approve of or know about, to stop the rigorous review of checks coming in to the Democratic Committee so that some funds were accepted which should not have been accepted. I regret that very much. And I have said that I feel—as the titular head of the Democratic Party, I feel responsible for that. I think all of us in the line of command are. And I was very proud of Governor Romer and Mr. Grossman and the entire Democratic Committee. When they made a full accounting, they went over all the checks, they did something as far as I know no party has done in modern history, and they gave back money that was not only clearly illegal but that was questionable, and they're going on. I regret that very much, because that never should have happened in the first place.

For the rest, I think the Vice President said he thought that some changes were in order, but I don't regret the fact that we worked like crazy to raise enough money to keep from being rolled over by the biggest juggernaut this country had seen in a very long time. And I think it would have been a very bad thing for the American people if that budget had passed, if their plans to dramatically dismantle the environmental protections and the public health protections the country had passed, and I am glad we stood up to it. I'm glad we fought the battles of '95 and '96, and I'm glad it came out the way it did. And we had to be aggressive and strong within the law, and I'm very proud of what the Vice President did.

Q. Don't you think it puts the Vice President in a vulnerable——

Human Cloning

Q. Mr. President, what is the extent of your order today? How much funds—do you know how much funds were being spent toward this human cloning, if any?

The President. We attempted previously to have a ban on this, going back to '94, I believe. The nature of the new discovery raised the prospect that the technology was not covered specifically by the nature of the ban. So as far as I know, nothing is going on in Governmentfunded research. I just want to make sure that we keep it that way, because our research dollars are spread all across the country in different institutions.

With regard to the private sector, let me say that our staff here in the White House has been in touch with a number of people in the biotech industry, and they seem to be glad that we called and anxious to participate in a moratorium until we think through the implications of this.

I mean, I imagine a lot of you, not as journalists but in your own private homes, have sat around talking about this discovery in the last few days. I know we have in our home. And I just think that we need the best minds that we can bring to bear and the distinguished people on the bioethics advisory committee to think through this, tell us about what we may be missing about—if there's anything positive that could come from this, and also think through the other implications, how can we get the benefits of our deep desire to find any possible cure for any malady that's out there without raising the kind of ethical implications that, in effect, we're in the business where people are trying to play God or to replicate themselves.

1996 Campaign Financing

Q. Mr. President, Democrats and Republicans are bogged down in Congress over whether to conduct hearings on the fundraising issue. Do you want to see that happen, and would you so tell your Democrats, your fellow Democrats up on the Hill?

The President. My understanding is that the Democrats have no objection whatever to the hearings. They just believe that they ought not to go on forever and that they don't need to— they're disputing whether $6 1/2 million needs to be spent. That's something that they need to work out among themselves.

I certainly have no objection to hearings. I've always assumed that they would occur, but I think that the American people are entitled to know that some prudence will be exercised in how much money is spent, because there's a lot of other things out there to be done, and we have the public's business to get on with as well, a lot of other issues that need to be dealt with. And what I'm hoping that we can do is to just reconcile how this is going to be dealt with and maybe spend some of that money to properly fund the Federal Election Commission so they can do the kind of audits they're supposed to do and do the job that they actually have the power to do on the books right now and get on with the big business, get on with balancing the budget, get on with passing the education program, get on with doing the other things that are out there for us to do. And so I'm going to do everything I can to facilitate that.

But it is a decision for the Senate and for the House—in the House—to decide how these hearings will proceed and how they will be funded. But I don't think anybody objects to having hearings. We want them to be fair. We want them to be bipartisan. We want them to be balanced. And as I understand it, the big fight in the Senate is, will there be a date certain for ending, and will there be a limit to how much is spent?

And let me say this: Whatever the hearings produce, in the end, the only real question is, will they produce campaign finance reform? Whatever they produce, will they produce campaign finance reform? I still believe that the only way for the Congress to really deal with this and any questions from the past is to change the system. And we have the McCain-Feingold bill out there. It's a good vehicle. I have endorsed it. I would happily sign it the way it is, but they may want to debate that in some way or another. But the main thing that I want to say again is that there is no excuse for not voting on and passing a good bipartisan campaign finance reform bill this year. There is no excuse. That is the main issue.

Thank you.

NOTE: The President spoke at 9:25 a.m. in the Oval Office at the White House.



http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=53818

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993 - 2001

Memorandum on the Prohibition on Federal Funding for Cloning of Human Beings

March 4, 1997

Memorandum for the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies

Subject: Prohibition on Federal Funding for Cloning of Human Beings

Recent accounts of advances in cloning technology, including the first successful cloning of an adult sheep, raise important questions. They potentially represent enormous scientific breakthroughs that could offer benefits in such areas as medicine and agriculture. But the new technology also raises profound ethical issues, particularly with respect to its possible use to clone humans. That is why last week I asked our National Bioethics Advisory Commission to thoroughly review the legal and ethical issues associated with the use of this technology and report back to me in 90 days.

Federal funds should not be used for cloning of human beings. The current restrictions on the use of Federal funds for research involving human embryos do not fully assure this result. In December 1994, I directed the National Institutes of Health not to fund the creation of human embryos for research purposes. The Congress extended this prohibition in FY 1996 and FY 1997 appropriations bills, barring the Department of Health and Human Services from supporting certain human embryo research. However, these restrictions do not explicitly cover human embryos created for implantation and do not cover all Federal agencies. I want to make it absolutely clear that no Federal funds will be used for human cloning. Therefore, I hereby direct that no Federal funds shall be allocated for cloning of human beings.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

Citation: William J. Clinton: "Memorandum on the Prohibition on Federal Funding for Cloning of Human Beings," March 4, 1997.










http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-22/news/mn-31286_1_night-landing

Los Angeles Times


Shuttle Lights the Sky in Rare Night Landing

February 22, 1997 From Washington Post

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — Putting on a spectacular light show, the shuttle Discovery returned to Earth before dawn Friday like a blazing comet, leaving the refurbished Hubble Space Telescope behind in orbit with a new lease on life.

Leaving a trail of fire as it streaked above Houston at 8,700 mph, Discovery settled to a ghostly nighttime landing at the Kennedy Space Center just 18 minutes later, at 3:32 a.m. EST, to close out a five-spacewalk, $350-million overhaul of the famous telescope.

"You lit up the entire sky with the orbiter and its trail," astronaut Kevin Kregel radioed the crew from mission control in Houston. "It was pretty impressive."

"It was a pretty good view from here too," commander Kenneth Bowersox replied. "We almost saw the Astrodome."

It was only the ninth night landing in shuttle history and just the fourth at the Florida spaceport. But Bowersox and pilot Scott "Doc" Horowitz had no problems picking out the shuttle runway's brilliant lights in the darkness.

"You have this yellow brick road right out in front of you," Bowersox said later, referring to new lights embedded in the center of the 3-mile-long runway. "You just keep the orbiter going right down the yellow brick road."

Touchdown came one orbit late because of cloudy weather at the Florida landing site. But by the time Discovery had rounded the planet for another try, the weather had improved and flight director Wayne Hale gave the crew permission to head for home.










https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894963/Why-Britain-wrecked-1965-Fifty-years-ago-UK-socially-morally-culturally-different-country-ways-better-people-far-worse.html

Daily Mail

Why Britain was wrecked in 1965: Fifty years ago the UK was socially, morally and culturally a very different country. In some ways we are a better people. In others, far worse

By DOMINIC SANDBROOK FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 19:01 EDT, 2 January 2015 UPDATED: 06:36 EDT, 3 January 2015


But change was coming, all the same. Indeed, on November 13, 1965, there was an omen of the looming moral transformation.

In a late-night debate on a BBC1 satirical show, the theatre critic Kenneth Tynan sparked outrage by using the word ‘f***’.

In fact, it had been used twice before on television, by an Irish playwright and an Ulster railings-painter, but nobody had noticed.

This time, though, all hell broke loose.

No fewer than 133 Labour and Tory backbenchers signed a Commons motion condemning Tynan, while the moral campaigner Mary Whitehouse even wrote a letter of complaint to the Queen.

But nothing came of it. Indeed, Tynan’s career went from strength to strength, a sign that Britain’s increasingly liberal establishment were no longer shocked by the taboos of the past.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=126416

The American Presidency Project

Warren G. Harding

XXIX President of the United States: 1921 - 1923

Address at the Burial of an Unknown American Soldier at Arlington Cemetery

November 11, 1921

Mr. Secretary of War and Ladies and Gentlemen:

We are met today to pay the impersonal tribute. The name of him whose body lies before us took flight with his imperishable soul. We know not whence he came, but only that his death marks him with the everlasting glory of an American dying for his country.

He might have come from any one of millions of American homes.

Some mother gave him in her love and tenderness, and with him her most cherished hopes. Hundreds of mothers are wondering today, finding a touch of solace in the possibility that the nation bows in grief over the body of one she bore to live and die, if need be, for the Republic. If we give rein to fancy, a score of sympathetic chords are touched, for in this body there once glowed the soul of an American, with the aspirations and ambitions of a citizen who cherished life and its opportunities. He may have been a native or an adopted son; that matters little, because they glorified the same loyalty, they sacrificed alike.

We do not know his station in life, because from every station came the patriotic response of the five millions. I recall the days of creating armies, and the departing of caravels which braved the murderous seas to reach the battle lines for maintained nationality and preserved civilization. The service flag marked mansion and cottage alike, and riches were common to all homes in the consciousness of service to country.

We do not know the eminence of his birth, but we do know the glory of his death. He died for his country, and greater devotion hath no man than this. He died unquestioning, uncomplaining, with faith in his heart and hope on his lips, that his country should triumph and its civilization survive. As a typical soldier of this representative democracy, he fought and died, believing in the indisputable justice of his country's cause. Conscious of the world's upheaval, appraising the magnitude of a war the like of which had never horrified humanity before, perhaps he believed his to be a service destined to change the tide of human affairs.

In the death gloom of gas, the bursting of shells and rain of bullets, men face more intimately the great God over all, their souls are aflame, and consciousness expands and hearts are searched. With the din of battle, the glow of conflict, and the supreme trial of courage, come involuntarily the hurried appraisal of life and the contemplation of death's great mystery. On the threshold of eternity, many a soldier, I can well believe, wondered how his ebbing blood would color the stream of human life, flowing on after his sacrifice. His patriotism was none less if he craved more than triumph of country; rather, it was greater if he hoped for a victory for all human kind. Indeed, I revere that citizen whose confidence in the righteousness of his country inspired belief that its triumph is the victory of humanity.

This American soldier went forth to battle with no hatred for any people in the world, but hating war and hating the purpose of every war for conquest. He cherished our national rights, and abhorred the threat of armed domination; and in the maelstrom of destruction and suffering and death he fired his shot for liberation of the captive conscience of the world. In advancing toward his objective was somewhere a thought of a world awakened; and we are here to testify undying gratitude and reverence for that thought of a wider freedom.

On such an occasion as this, amid such a scene, our thoughts alternate between defenders living and defenders dead. A grateful Republic will be worthy of them both. Our part is to atone for the losses of heroic dead by making a better Republic for the living.

Sleeping in these hallowed grounds are thousands of Americans who have given their blood for the baptism of freedom and its maintenance, armed exponents of the nation's conscience. It is better and nobler for their deeds. Burial here is rather more than a sign of the Government's favor, it is a suggestion of a tomb in the heart of the nation, sorrowing for its noble dead.

Today's ceremonies proclaim that the hero unknown is not unhonored. We gather him to the nation's breast, within the shadow of the Capitol, of the towering shaft that honors Washington, the great father, and of the exquisite monument to Lincoln, the martyred savior. Here the inspirations of yesterday and the conscience of today forever unite to make the Republic worthy of his death for flag and country.

Ours are lofty resolutions today, as with tribute to the dead we consecrate ourselves to a better order for the living. With all my heart, I wish we might say to the defenders who survive, to mothers who sorrow, to widows and children who mourn, that no such sacrifice shall be asked again.

It was my fortune recently to see a demonstration of modern warfare. It is no longer a conflict in chivalry, no more a test of militant manhood. It is only cruel, deliberate, scientific destruction. There was no contending enemy, only the theoretical defense of a hypothetic objective. But the attack was made with all the relentless methods of modern destruction. There was the rain of ruin from the aircraft, the thunder of artillery, followed by the unspeakable devastation wrought by bursting shells; there were mortars belching their bombs of desolation; machine guns concentrating their leaden storms; there was the infantry, advancing, firing, and falling—like men with souls sacrificing for the decision. The flying missiles were revealed by illuminating tracers, so that we could note their flight and appraise their deadliness. The air was streaked with tiny flames marking the flight of massed destruction; while the effectiveness of the theoretical defense was impressed by the simulation of dead and wounded among those going forward, undaunted and unheeding. As this panorama of unutterable destruction visualized the horrors of modern conflict, there grew on me the sense of the failure of a civilization which can leave its problems to such cruel arbitrament. Surely no one in authority, with human attributes and a full appraisal of the patriotic loyalty of his countrymen, could ask the manhood of kingdom, empire, or republic to make such sacrifice until all reason had failed, until appeal to justice through understanding had been denied, until every effort of love and consideration for fellow men had been exhausted, until freedom itself and inviolate honor had been brutally threatened.

I speak not as a pacifist fearing war, but as one who loves justice and hates war. I speak as one who believes the highest function of government is to give its citizens the security of peace, the opportunity to achieve, and the pursuit of happiness.

The loftiest tribute we can bestow today—the heroically earned tribute—fashioned in deliberate conviction, out of unclouded thought, neither shadowed by remorse nor made vain by fancies, is the commitment of this Republic to an advancement never made before. If American achievement is a cherished pride at home, if our unselfishness among nations is all we wish it to be, and ours is a helpful example in the world, then let us give of our influence and strength, yea, of our aspirations and convictions, to put mankind on a little higher plane, exulting and exalting, with war's distressing and depressing tragedies barred from the stage of righteous civilization.

There have been a thousand defenses justly and patriotically made; a thousand offenses which reason and righteousness ought to have stayed. Let us beseech all men to join us in seeking the rule under which reason and righteousness shall prevail.

Standing today on hallowed ground, conscious that all America has halted to share in the tribute of heart and mind and soul to this fellow American, and knowing that the world is noting this expression of the Republic's mindfulness, it is fitting to say that his sacrifice, and that of the millions dead, shall not be in vain. There must be, there shall be, the commanding voice of a conscious civilization against armed warfare.

As we return this poor clay to its mother soil, garlanded by love and covered with the decorations that only nations can bestow, I can sense the prayers of our people, of all peoples, that this Armistice Day shall mark the beginning of a new and lasting era of peace on earth, good will among men. Let me join in that prayer.

Our Father who are in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_but_not_religious

Spiritual but not religious

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Spiritual but not religious" (SBNR) also known as "Spiritual but not affiliated" (SBNA) is a popular phrase and initialism used to self-identify a life stance of spirituality that takes issue with organized religion as the sole or most valuable means of furthering spiritual growth. Historically, the words religious and spiritual have been used synonymously to describe all the various aspects of the concept of religion, but in contemporary usage spirituality has often been associated with the interior life of the individual, placing an emphasis upon the well-being of the "mind-body-spirit",while religion refers to organizational or communal dimensions.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_anxiety_(psychology)

Death anxiety (psychology)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Death anxiety is anxiety caused by thoughts of death. One source defines death anxiety as a "feeling of dread, apprehension or solicitude (anxiety) when one thinks of the process of dying, or ceasing to 'be'". Also referred to as thanatophobia (fear of death), death anxiety is distinguished from necrophobia, which is a specific fear of dead or dying people and/or things (i.e., fear of others who are dead or dying, not of one's own death or dying).

Additionally, there is anxiety caused by death-recent thought-content, which might be classified within a clinical setting by a psychiatrist as morbid and/or abnormal, which for classification pre-necessitates a degree of anxiety which is persistent and interferes with everyday functioning. Lower ego integrity, more physical problems and more psychological problems are predictive of higher levels of death anxiety in elderly people perceiving themselves close to death.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy

Energy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sun is the source of energy for most of life on Earth. As a star, the Sun is heated to high temperatures by the conversion of nuclear binding energy due to the fusion of hydrogen in its core. This energy is ultimately transferred (released) into space mainly in the form of radiant (light) energy.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex

Cerebral cortex

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Association areas

The association areas are the parts of the cerebral cortex that do not belong to the primary regions. They function to produce a meaningful perceptual experience of the world, enable us to interact effectively, and support abstract thinking and language. The parietal, temporal, and occipital lobes - all located in the posterior part of the cortex - integrate sensory information and information stored in memory. The frontal lobe or prefrontal association complex is involved in planning actions and movement, as well as abstract thought. Globally, the association areas are organized as distributed networks. Each network connects areas distributed across widely spaced regions of the cortex. Distinct networks are positioned adjacent to one another yielding a complex series of interwoven networks. The specific organization of the association networks is debated with evidence for interactions, hierarchical relationships, and competition between networks. In humans, association networks are particularly important to language function. In the past it was theorized that language abilities are localized in the left hemisphere in areas 44/45, the Broca's area










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degeneration_(medical)

Degeneration (medical)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Degeneration is deterioration in the medical sense. Generally, it is the change from a higher to a lower form. More specifically, it is the change of tissue to a lower or less functionally active form.

True degeneration: when there is actual chemical change of the tissue itself.










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulator_(electricity)

Insulator (electricity)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An electrical insulator is a material whose internal electric charges do not flow freely; very little electric current will flow through it under the influence of an electric field. This contrasts with other materials, semiconductors and conductors, which conduct electric current more easily. The property that distinguishes an insulator is its resistivity; insulators have higher resistivity than semiconductors or conductors.

A perfect insulator does not exist, because even insulators contain small numbers of mobile charges (charge carriers) which can carry current. In addition, all insulators become electrically conductive when a sufficiently large voltage is applied that the electric field tears electrons away from the atoms. This is known as the breakdown voltage of an insulator. Some materials such as glass, paper and Teflon, which have high resistivity, are very good electrical insulators. A much larger class of materials, even though they may have lower bulk resistivity, are still good enough to prevent significant current from flowing at normally used voltages, and thus are employed as insulation for electrical wiring and cables. Examples include rubber-like polymers and most plastics which can be thermoset or thermoplastic in nature.

Insulators are used in electrical equipment to support and separate electrical conductors without allowing current through themselves. An insulating material used in bulk to wrap electrical cables or other equipment is called insulation. The term insulator is also used more specifically to refer to insulating supports used to attach electric power distribution or transmission lines to utility poles and transmission towers. They support the weight of the suspended wires without allowing the current to flow through the tower to ground.


Telegraph and power transmission insulators

Overhead conductors for high-voltage electric power transmission are bare, and are insulated by the surrounding air. Conductors for lower voltages in distribution may have some insulation but are often bare as well.










https://www.bju.edu/about/history.php

Bob Jones University [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Founding

Bob Jones University was established in 1927 by evangelist Bob Jones Sr.


Greenville, South Carolina

1940s

In 1946, the construction of a new campus began in Greenville, S.C. With the addition of 6 academic schools, Bob Jones College became Bob Jones University in 1947.


On January 16, 1968, the Lord called Dr. Bob Jones Sr., the university founder, to meet his Savior after a lifetime of faithful service.










https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lie

Dictionary.com

lie

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.










http://www.tks.org/BioOfBobJonesSr.htm

Evangelist Bob Jones, Sr

Biographical Sketch

Robert Reynolds Jones

by R.K. Johnson

Robert Reynolds Jones: October 30, 1883 Shipperville, Alabama; January 16, 1968 Greenville, South Carolina












https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross










From 5/21/1969 ( the Princeton University doctor of medicine degree graduation of my biological brother Dr Thomas Reagan MD ) To 12/19/1971 is 942 days

942 = 471 + 471

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/16/1967 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"Space Seed" ) is 471 days



From 7/20/1969 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy Commander circa 1969 was United States Apollo 11 Eagle spacecraft United States Navy astronaut landing and walking on the planet Earth's moon ) To 12/19/1971 is 882 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/2/1968 ( premiere US film "2001: A Space Odyssey" ) is 882 days


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/releaseinfo

IMDb

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Release Info

USA 19 December 1971 (New York City, New York) (premiere)



https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/fullcredits

IMDb

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Full Cast & Crew

Writing Credits

Anthony Burgess ... (novel)

Cast

Malcolm McDowell ... Alex










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/taglines

IMDb

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Taglines

Being the adventures of a young man ... who couldn't resist pretty girls ... or a bit of the old ultra-violence ... went to jail, was re-conditioned ... and came out a different young man ... or was he ?










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/releaseinfo

IMDb

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Release Info

USA 2 April 1968 (Washington, D.C.) (premiere)










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/quotes

IMDb

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Quotes

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.












http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19420608,00.html

TIME

Lord Louis Mountbatten June 8, 1942










https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001772/bio

IMDb

Patrick Stewart

Biography

Born July 13, 1940 in Mirfield, Yorkshire, England, UK

Birth Name Patrick Stewart










https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708580/quotes

IMDb

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (TV Series)

Playing God (1994)

Quotes

Arjin: You're nothing like I expected.

Lieutenant Jadzia Dax: I'm nothing like I expected. Life after life, with each new personality stampeding around in your head, you get desires that scare you, dreams that used to belong to someone else.










https://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-dark-tower-ii-drawing-of-three.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2018

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

Posted by Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 6:10 PM Thursday, December 30, 2010

My return in 1998 was different though. I returned but I am a composite version of Tom Reagan and Kerry Burgess. I am not as tall as Tom Reagan and I am as tall as Kerry Burgess but I do not have the physical scars of Kerry Burgess, such as the gunshot wound scar he had on his shoulder.












http://img.medicalexpo.com/images_me/photo-m2/118002-11035272.jpg










https://www.britannica.com/biography/Lise-Meitner

Encyclopaedia Britannica

Lise Meitner

AUSTRIAN PHYSICIST

Lise Meitner, (born November 7, 1878, Vienna—died October 27, 1968, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England), Austrian-born physicist who shared the Enrico Fermi Award (1966) with the chemists Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann for their joint research that led to the discovery of uranium fission.

After receiving her doctorate at the University of Vienna (1906), Meitner attended Max Planck’s lectures at Berlin in 1907 and joined Hahn in research on radioactivity. During three decades of association, she and Hahn were among the first to isolate the isotope protactinium-231 (which they named), studied nuclear isomerism and beta decay, and in the 1930s (along with Strassmann) investigated the products of neutron bombardment of uranium. Because she was Jewish, she left Nazi Germany in the summer of 1938 to settle in Sweden. After Hahn and Strassmann had demonstrated that barium appears in neutron-bombarded uranium, Meitner, with her nephew Otto Frisch, elucidated the physical characteristics of this division and in January 1939 proposed the term fission (which Frisch elicited from American biophysicist William Arnold) for the process. She retired to England in 1960. The chemical element meitnerium was named in her honour.










http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie8.html

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)


[Montana settlement]

LAFORGE: Doctor!

Doctor Zefram COCHRANE: Yeah.

LAFORGE: Would you mind taking a look at this?

COCHRANE: Yeah.

LAFORGE: I've tried to reconstruct the intermix chamber from what I remember at school. Tell me if I got it right.

COCHRANE: School? You learned about this in school?





LAFORGE: Oh yeah. 'Basic Warp Design' is a required course at the Academy. The first chapter is called 'Zefram Cochrane'.

Doctor Zefram COCHRANE: Well, it looks like you got it right.










http://adc.arkansas.gov/inmate_info/search.php?dcnum=088756&sex=b&age=70&RUN=68

Arkansas.gov

ARKANSAS DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION

ADC Inmate Search - Inmate Details

ADC Number: 088756

Name: Dinger, Thomas D

Birth Date: 12/25/1965

Initial Receipt Date: 07/31/1987

Current Facility: Maximum Security Unt

PE / TE Date*: Life WO

Current Prison Sentence History

Offense Sentence Date County Case # Sentence Length

Capital Murder 07/31/1987 LITTLE RIVER 1987-18 Life w/o







From 4/21/1926 ( my [ when I was still a natural { human being cloned from another } human being ] biological paternal grandmother Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II ) To 10/1/1947 ( Stephen Collins ) is 7833 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/14/1987 is 7833 days



From 2/6/1959 ( Jack Kilby filed his patent application for the integrated circuit ) To 4/14/1987 is 10294 days

10294 = 5147 + 5147

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/6/1979 ( premiere US film "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" ) is 5147 days


http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1987/AWOL-Marine-Charged-in-Deaths-of-Parents-Brother/id-22fb448f8c9d9d8ded24c52e9cc40dde

AP News Archive


AWOL MARINE CHARGED IN DEATHS OF PARENTS, BROTHER

AP , Associated Press

AP NEWS ARCHIVE Apr. 15, 1987 11:46 AM ET

ASHDOWN, ARK. ASHDOWN, Ark. (AP) _ A 21-year-old man who was absent without leave from the Marine Corps has been charged with capital murder in the shooting deaths of his parents and younger brother, whose bodies were found in their fire-gutted home, authorities say.

Marine Cpl. Thomas Dewayne Dinger was arrested about 1:20 a.m. today when he showed up at the house on foot, wearing a backpack and carrying a fishing rod, said Prosecutor Jim Bob Steel.

State police and Little River County deputies were at the house three miles south of Ashdown because members of the Ashdown Volunteer Fire Department had discovered three bodies when they responded to a fire call late Tuesday, Sheriff Dallas Keller said.

The sheriff identified those killed as James Thomas Dinger, 41; his wife, Shirley Dinger, about 40; and their 14-year-old son, Brian Dinger.

According to Keller, Dinger told police his younger brother was shot first, in a bedroom, with a .22-caliber pistol, and then Mrs. Dinger was shot with the pistol. Their bodies were found inside the house.

The sheriff said the senior Dinger was wounded with a shotgun outside the house as he arrived home from work for a painting contractor, and then was shot several times with the pistol.

An empty gasoline can was found atop the 14-year-old's body in the bedroom, the sheriff said, adding the house had apparently been set afire shortly after the elder Dinger was shot.

Steel said Dinger was being held in the county jail at Ashdown, and an arraignment was scheduled today.

Neither Steel nor Keller knew where Dinger had been stationed with the Marine Corps. Officials said he had been AWOL for about 10 days.

Steel said Dinger told authorities he had been planning to leave home yesterday and turn himself in to Marine officials.

''We figure the argument was over him leaving,'' Keller said. ''His daddy said he was going back.''



- posted by Kerry Burgess 8:50 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 09 September 2018