Thursday, May 06, 2010

Technology




http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=36982

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the National Medals of Science and Technology

March 12, 1986

Thank you, and welcome to the White House. To paraphrase an earlier President, this must be one of the most extraordinary collections of talent and human intelligence that has ever come together in one room in the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone. [Laughter]

You know, a favorite story of mine is about one of the first times the White House played host to an event concerning science and technology, and that was back in '76—1876. A demonstration of a recently invented device was put on here for President Rutherford B. Hayes. "That's an amazing invention," he said, "but who would ever want to use them?" He was talking about the telephone. [Laughter] I thought at the time when I heard him that he might be mistaken. [Laughter] We've come a long way from those times. But I sometimes feel that, just like President Hayes, some of the journalists who cover our everyday political affairs here in Washington have a tendency to miss the real news: the transforming discoveries and achievements that you and your colleagues are making every day.

I remember just a little over 5 years ago when all the headlines were of shortages. Every morning it seemed we read some new scare story telling us that the Earth's resources were about to run out for good, leaving our world poorer and shrinking our hopes for the future. But at the same time, scientists, inventors, and entrepreneurs were mining the most abundant resource in the world: the human mind










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: August 1, 2006


had actually told me that the power drill actually went through his hand, not up through it towards the wrist. Since I thinking that actually occured to me, I wonder why I think sometimes about the drill going into my hand since the scars seem to support that it went through my hand, if that even happened at all. I told my doctor today that as the person I used to be, the memory is probably harder to relive than it was to actually live through. It's not really bothering me all that much but some times these things really give me a jolt.

[JOURNAL ARCHIVE]










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=36982

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the National Medals of Science and Technology

March 12, 1986


I can't help but remember an incident back when I was an adjutant on an airbase in World War II and learned of a letter that bucked all the way up to the top of the military command asking for permission to destroy some records that were just filling the file cases and that were no longer of any use. And when the mail came back down with permission from the person in the top command, it was permission granted to destroy those records, providing that copies were made of each one. [Laughter]










http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/battlestar-galactica-2003-miniseries--part-1.0/episode/291740/trivia.html

tv.com

Battlestar Galactica (2003)

Battlestar Galactica (2003 Miniseries) - Part 1.0

Air Date

Monday December 8, 2003

Quotes

Number Six: Gaius, I can't die. When this body is destroyed, my memory, my consciousness, will be transmitted to a new one. I'll just wake up somewhere else in an identical body.

Baltar: You mean there's more out there like you?

Number Six: There are twelve models. I'm Number Six.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=36982

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the National Medals of Science and Technology

March 12, 1986


But as we look at the record of scientific achievement, there remains one area crying out for attention. I believe that our nuclear dilemma presents us with some of the major unfinished business of science. We have begun research on a nonnuclear defense against nuclear attack. As I said before, yesterday's impossibilities have become commonplace realities today. Why should we start thinking small now? In protecting mankind from the peril of nuclear destruction, we must be ambitious. We can't lock ourselves into a fatalistic acceptance of a world held in jeopardy. In this area, more especially, we must approach the future with vision and hope that reach for the greatest possibilities. Only if we try can we succeed. You know, people who say it can't be done—they remind me of a story, too. At my age practically everything reminds me of a story. [Laughter]










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=37129

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at a White House Meeting with the Associated General Contractors of America

April 14, 1986

Somebody must have told you that my first job was with a contractor who was remodeling old homes. [Laughter] I was 14 years old and before the summer was over I'd laid hardwood floor and shingled roof and dug foundation and all those things. Well, I thank you very much, and welcome back to the White House. I always add the word "complex." They keep telling me that this is part of the White House. You know, I haven't had a cup of coffee here.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093822/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Raising Arizona (1987)


H.I.: Wake up, Son.

[aims gun at the clerk]

H.I.: I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got.

Ed McDonnough: [sees H.I. from the car] That son' bitch. That son of a bitch! You son of a bitch!

H.I.: Better hurry it up, I'm in dutch with the wife.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093822/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Raising Arizona (1987)


H.I.: That night, I had a dream. I drifted off thinking about happiness, birth and new life, But now I was haunted by a vision of... He was horrible. The lone biker of apocalypse. A man with all the powers of Hell at his command. He could turn turn the day into night and lay to waste everything in his path. He was especially hard on little things-the helpless and the gentle creatures. He left a scorched earth in his wake befouling even the sweet desert breeze that whipped across his brow. I didn't know where he came from or why. I didn't know if he was dream or vision. But I feared that I myself had unleashed him. For he was the fury that would be as soon as Florence Arizona found her little Nathan gone.