This Is What I Think.

Friday, October 09, 2015

The Morlocks




http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/35/pg35.html


Project Gutenberg's The Time Machine, by H. G. (Herbert George) Wells


Title: The Time Machine

Author: H. G. (Herbert George) Wells


IX


'Now, the smoke of the fire beat over towards me, and it must have made me heavy of a sudden. Moreover, the vapour of camphor was in the air. My fire would not need replenishing for an hour or so. I felt very weary after my exertion, and sat down. The wood, too, was full of a slumbrous murmur that I did not understand. I seemed just to nod and open my eyes. But all was dark, and the Morlocks had their hands upon me. Flinging off their clinging fingers I hastily felt in my pocket for the match-box, and—it had gone! Then they gripped and closed with me again. In a moment I knew what had happened. I had slept, and my fire had gone out, and the bitterness of death came over my soul. The forest seemed full of the smell of burning wood. I was caught by the neck, by the hair, by the arms, and pulled down. It was indescribably horrible in the darkness to feel all these soft creatures heaped upon me. I felt as if I was in a monstrous spider's web. I was overpowered, and went down. I felt little teeth nipping at my neck. I rolled over, and as I did so my hand came against my iron lever. It gave me strength. I struggled up, shaking the human rats from me, and, holding the bar short, I thrust where I judged their faces might be. I could feel the succulent giving of flesh and bone under my blows, and for a moment I was free.

'The strange exultation that so often seems to accompany hard fighting came upon me.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 6:06 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 10 October 2014 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/10/patient-zero.html


Patient Zero



Only the third time in the past 11 years I have been sick with some kind of respiratory illness. I thought I changed my earlier blog post to indicate 11 years instead of 8 years but I didn't seem to.

I have only been sick only three times since at least the year 2003. Might have been the year 2002 the last time. Definitely not after 2003 except for the three occurrences I have tracked the dates for. The second time was just after I considered moving into an apartment named West Point and traveled there to view it. For this third time I think of it as just a cold. I don't really know the difference between a cold and the flu. I just think the flu has stronger symptoms than a cold. I didn't measure my body temperature. I was out of it for a few days. At one point I seemed to have to get up every hour to go to the bathroom because I had drank so much bottled water thinking that would help.

I remember that incident very well. I remember because I have been especially aware of sickness since I worked at Microsoft and so I was keeping track of it after I was in the VA hospital.

And so in December 2014 [ correction: December 2013 ] I remember especially well because of a comment a woman made to me when uncharacteristically I went to the supermarket late in the day on Christmas Eve. I remember thinking about it when I started feeling bad the next day. At first I thought the air quality was just bad. I was coughing and I thought the reason was the so-called ridiculously resilient ridge of High Pressure causing stagnant air and wood smoke pollution.

I haven't written about it because something just seems wrong. Something about my so-called time-traveler effect I cannot figure out. I also can't remember what the hell the light fixtures are supposed to be about. Sometimes rarely my cryptic method of recording my observations backfires and I can't remember what the hell it was I was noting.

Doesn't matter. I have established that just because I document something here in this theoretical time-traveler journal that doesn't cause anything to happen in the future.

Look at how their supposed facts are changing. Supposedly that infant in Africa got sick and died at precisely the same time I got sick for only the third time in at least 11 years.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 10 October 2014 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 09:01 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 28 August 2015 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2015/08/minds-eye.html


So that was actually the day before Christmas Eve when "uncharacteristically I went to the supermarket".

Makes more sense anyway; I doubt that store was even open for business that time of day on Christmas Eve. I wrote before in my blog I was there late in the day Christmas Eve and then I referenced that again several times without stopping to really consider what I had written.

I wonder if that was the day I switched back to my old-time favorite brand of Coors beer. Can't recall. But that is certainly a detail my vast trove of register receipts would reveal.

I try to avoid supermarkets around holidays so I do not recall their business hours on Christmas which I vaguely recall the notices they post but I ignore those because as a habit I avoid shopping around those times.

I have also noted from my receipts that I was over there again on the 28th so as I have written here my symptoms must not have been too overwhelmingly bad.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 28 August 2015 excerpt ends]



































DSC00922.JPG



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 05:53 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 09 October 2015