Monday, July 23, 2007

Comet Hyakutake

So I'll bet I see that same guy lurking around me when they are breaking into my apartment. He's a lookout for the insurgents and a pending United States federal convict facing a rather lenghty prison sentence.






What is it about that stuff I "remembered" about Dino Bohanon's sister a while back? Is that how Phoebe is going to return to conscious memory? Am I going to start remember details about Dino's sister that are going to connect to my real memories of Phoebe?

I see flashes of images in my mind of Phoebe that I don't know the source of. I just see her face and I don't know how I......something. And it is not just still images I see of Phoebe. I am started to discern some motion to them. Not much. Just slight movements of her face and of her head moving, as though she is talking and I am remembering something about her. A lot of other stuff is making sense, too. I have a much better understanding - I assume - of why I do not consciously remember any of the real details. But I can feel.....something. I can feel it start to return. I can't articulate it yet.

I don't think Dino was a real person; rather someone I created as part of my official United States federal undercover identity. I think he represents certain aspects of my real identity. I am trying to remember why his last name is Bohanon but I don't remember yet. In the context of my artificial and symbolic memory, I can "remember" trying to make fun of his last name but no one else thought it was funny. I also have artificial and symbolic memories of going back to Ashdown for our 10 year reunion in 1994 and of people saying they didn't remember who I was, although there were people who did remember me.

I also understand that there is so much that is ingrained into my mind that affects what I am consciously aware of. I can't fully articulate that yet, either. But it is expressed well with the notion of riding a bicycle. When I ride a bicycle, there isn't a lot of conscious thought that goes into it. So what is the difference of how I am now? I don't remember when I learned to ride a bicycle in reality, but yet I can do it very well. The same goes with swimming. I swim very well and I have a great deal of endurance in the water. I saw a photo a while back on the internet that suggested I had backup on those last really long swims I completed.

I do not have any artificial memories of learning to ride a bicyle or of learning to swim. I "remember" when I got my first bicycle, the one with Westpoint on it, but I already knew how to ride it and I have no memories of being taught. The same goes with swimming. I have memories of taking swimming lessons, but I already knew how to swim before those lessons and I don't remember anyone teaching me either activity.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Re: Journal May 27, 2006

Ah...."bat lady," of course. I found something like a bat-shaped fishing lure that I really liked when I was a kid, but one of the older neighborhood kids said it was his and took it from me.
Andrew. That was Mogge's middle name.

I was thinking about these times when the hood flew up on my red Ford as I was traveling down Hicks Road. It was lucky we didn't crash.

The woman holding the torch during the intro for Columbia pictures looks a lot like a girlfriend I used to have.

1980. That was the year we moved from DeQueen to Ashdown. I think it was '81 when we moved onto Hicks Road. I started school at Ashdown Jr. High in '80. We had our 10 year reunion in '94 at the junior high school. I was teaching myself how to read Russian that year. Received a Science award. Started shaving. 14 years old when we moved there. Michael and I constructed a tall television antenna to get better reception. We put an American flag at the top. As we were admiring our work, Michael commented something similar to: "we sure are some patriotic s.o.b.'s aren't we?" Mom made us take it down, might have been the landlord, and she told us we were supposed to take it down every night. The school bus stop was a long ways from the house and our landlord, who was next door where we lived in one of the two houses on their farm, let me drive one of their cars to take my siblings and their kids to the bus stop. One day, I parked the car at their house but left it in neutral without the parking brake engaged. As I was walking away, the landlady yelled out that the car was rolling away down the hill. I dropped my books, swiveled around and sprinted for the car. I got the door open, jumped in and got it stopped right before it went into the pond. I think my mom chastised me for that, but I didn't know if it was for not setting the brake or for jumping in the car as it was about to go into the pond. Started going out into the woods a lot there in that place. All I had at first to carry with me was a BB gun. I very much enjoyed just getting out there and exploring. I never got lost despite how much terrority I covered, which was a lot. People at school were really getting annoyed at hearing me reciting Poe's The Raven, as I was trying to memorize it for some reason, in my memory it wasn't a class assignment. Denzil and mom gave me a 20 gauge shotgun for my birthday that year. I think Denzil traded a guitar for it. They left the gun and a camo hunting vest on my bed. The gun had a problem though but they tried telling me I was operating it wrong. They said I was "shortchanging" the action, but that wasn't it because I did what they said and it still wouldn't work. Finally, the guy Denzil got it from disassembled it one day and apparantly found the problem because I don't remember any other problems with it. Eventually I traded it to Michael for a knock-off Franchi semi-auto 12 gauge he had. That was a mistake because it was a piece of crap and would always jam after the first round. I bought a 35-caliber lever action rifle that I used for deer hunting that I absolutely loved. For some reason, I would proud that it wasn't a 30-30, but why I was proud of that is a mystery to me. There was a guy named Dino who was the star of our 9th grade football team. I remember him because I ran into his sister some years later. It was weird because she was working at that same bank in South Carolina. Small world. I remember getting dragged through a swamp during junior high as part of an initiation into Future Farmers of America. Made a chess board in shop class. It snowed on Thanksgiving day of 1980. Went to Camp Couchdale in the summer of '81, after graduating 9th grade. Tried to organize a panty raid on the girls buildings on the other side of the compound, but the staff was obviously listening and showed up at the screen door of our building with a big dog. Tried to start a food fight in the cafeteria but no one else got into it. Met a girl named Phoebe, took her out on the lake in a boat and paddled around. We wrote letters for a long time afterwards.



JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 06/01/07 8:54 AM

I had a dream last night that I was flying a desk in an office. Phoebe was there and she seemed impressed as I was pushing buttons to get whatever engine was in the desk, not unlike a VTOL contraption, to get it off the floor. I wasn't flying it very well though because it kept hitting the walls and doorway.



JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 10/19/2006 3:18 PM

I am guessing that it was so active because it was the first time all that surface area had been exposed to the Sun as a result of it being hit in 1976 and blown into large chunks of the original comet.

2 kilometers is 1.24 miles and who knows how large it was to begin with. 15 kilometers is 9.32 miles and 40 kilometers is almost 25 miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hyakutake

Radar results from the Arecibo Observatory indicated that the nucleus of the comet was about 2 km across, and surrounded by a flurry of pebble-sized particles ejected from the comet at a few metres per second. This measurement of the nucleus size corresponded well with indirect estimates using infrared emission and radio observations.[7][8]

The small size of the nucleus (Halley's Comet is about 15 km across, while Comet Hale-Bopp was about 40 km across) implies that Hyakutake must have been very active to become as bright as it did. Most comets undergo outgassing from a small proportion of their surface, but most or all of Hyakutake's surface seemed to have been active.