Saturday, July 14, 2007

HMS Sheffield (D80)

From 5/4/1982 to 4/14/2005 is: 2 days, 1197 weeks

2-11-97

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/games/2005-04-14-yankees-red-sox-sheffield_x.htm

Posted 4/14/2005 11:20 PM

Fans have incident with Sheffield in Red Sox's victory


By Howard Ulman, The Associated Press

Gary Sheffield kept his cool just as another confrontation between Fenway Park fans and the New York Yankees was heating up.

Sheffield was fielding Jason Varitek's two-run triple along the low right-field fence in the eighth inning of Boston's 8-5 victory Thursday night when a fan swung a short uppercut in his direction, appearing to graze the side of the slugger's face with his right arm.

"Something hit me in the mouth. It felt like a hand," Sheffield said. "I thought my lip was busted."




2-11-97

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-82

STS-82 was a mission of the United States Space Shuttle.

Launch: February 11, 1997




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sheffield_%28D80%29

HMS Sheffield (D80) was the second Royal Navy ship to bear the name Sheffield, after the city of Sheffield in Yorkshire. She was a Type 42 Guided Missile Destroyer laid down by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering at Barrow-in-Furness on 15 January 1970, launched on 10 June 1971 and commissioned on 16 February 1975.

The ship was part of the Task Force sent to the Falkland Islands during the Falklands War. She was struck by an Exocet cruise missile fired by a French-made Dassault Super Étendard belonging to the Argentine Navy on 4 May 1982 and finally foundered on the 10 May 1982.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Thursday, December 07, 2006

I believe I was a POW for a time, but I escaped during a bombing raid by the Navy when the guards were distracted. They searched for me but I went the last place they expected me to go: into the Sahara. I crossed the desert, and was almost dead but some locals found me and nursed me back to health. I continued my escape and I am thinking that I made my way to Kenya and from there back to the States, maybe in July 1987. My DD-214 has a date in the "Sea Service" field that supports this theory as well as the theory that I was on the HMS Sheffield, as some kind of NATO observer, I guess when that ship was hit. The "Sea Service" field value of 3 years, 9 months, 10 days, is a precise fit of the time period between 5/4/82, which was the date the Sheffield was hit, and 2/14/86, which was the date I believe I was shot down. I think that after I completed my escape in 1987, and returned to the Navy, I did not get to return to Navy fleet aviation as my primary role and instead was assigned to lead a Navy SEAL platoon or team. One theory though is that I was in command of the Blue Angels for at least a year some time after that, maybe 1989. It is my theory that I had once before been a member of the Blue Angels, back when I was a Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy.



JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Thursday, May 24, 2007

HMS Sheffield (D80)

The HMS Sheffield was commissioned 34.59 years after the birth date listed for Patrick Stewart. The distance from Mirfield to Sheffield is about 30 miles.

HMS Sheffield (D80) was the second Royal Navy ship to bear the name Sheffield, after the city of Sheffield in Yorkshire. She was a Type 42 Guided Missile Destroyer laid down by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering at Barrow-in-Furness on 15 January 1970, launched on 10 June 1971 and commissioned on 16 February 1975.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Stewart

Patrick Stewart OBE (born July 13, 1940) is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-nominated English film, television and stage actor. He is also Chancellor of the University of Huddersfield.[1] Stewart has had a distinguished career in theatre for nearly fifty years, including performances as various characters in Shakespearean productions. However, he is most famous for his roles as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and as Professor Xavier in the X-Men film franchise.

Stewart was born in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, England to Gladys, a weaver and textile worker, and Alfred Stewart, a Regimental Sergeant Major in the British Army.