Thursday, December 31, 2009

Superman II (1980)




http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0081573/quotes

Memorable quotes for

Superman II (1980)


[last lines]

Superman: Good afternoon, Mr. President. Sorry I've been away so long. I won't let you down again.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34283&st=&st1=

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Southeast Regional Editors and Broadcasters

May 15th, 1987

The President. Thank you all, and welcome to the White House. I'm delighted we could have a few moments together today, and I'm anxious to get to your questions. But first I thought I'd begin by giving you a little report on two stories that have been coming over the wires. They're what those of you in the newsroom would call developing stories that will be, I hope, a source of increasing focus and interest.



And with that said, let's make it a dialog instead of a monolog. All right?

Iran Arms and Contra Aid Controversy

Q. Mr. President, Bill Sharp from WCSC in Charleston, South Carolina. Mr. President, to those people who might say your Presidency and you have been mortally wounded by the Iran-contra affair, how would you answer those people?

The President. Well, sometimes before I've used a line from an old Scottish ballad to the effect that, yes, I'd been wounded-"I'll lie me down and rest a bit, and then I'll fight again."

Q. Liz White, WSM Radio in Nashville. My general manager says I can't go home unless you read this aloud. [Laughter]

The President. Oh, boy! [Laughter]

Q. Please. [Laughter]

The President. "I'm Ronald Reagan. Whenever I'm in Nashville, I listen to Radio 650, WSM— [laughter] —the 50,000-watt blowtorch of the South." [Laughter]

Q. Could you do it one more time—

The President. All right. What's that?

Q. Could you do it one more time? And everybody be quiet. [Laughter]

The President. Oh, I thought they were all quiet. Well, the last part was the only place where you started to laugh. "I listen to Radio 650 WSM, the 50,000-watt blowtorch of the South."

Q. Thank you.

The President. Well, it's just like being back at WHO. [Laughter]

Incidentally, on that short answer that I gave you on mortally wounded—I have to say that I get around quite a bit in the country, and the audiences range from blue-collar workers in a factory, as they did just a few days ago, to students and their families at a graduation ceremony. And I haven't seen any evidences that I've been mortally wounded, nor do the people seem to be unhappy about what we've been doing here.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34289&st=&st1=

Remarks at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Commencement Ceremony

May 16th, 1987

Thank you all very much. And Secretary Weinberger, Chairman Olch, Dean Sanford, members of the graduating class, and ladies and gentlemen, I must tell you before I start how relieved I was when Dean Sanford told me that I was going to walk on after the procession. I thought that I was going to come in with the dean, and with his reputation, I'd been afraid that the good news was that we might perch on the backstage rafters and rappel in— [laughter] —and the bad news, that we'd jump from 10,000 feet. [Laughter] But it's a pleasure to be here to welcome you the graduates of this the West Point and Annapolis and Colorado Springs for physicians into your new profession as military and Public Health Service doctors.


When I hear about the can-do spirit of America's doctors in uniform, it reminds me of a story about a group of marines. I hope those of you in the other services will forgive me for telling this, but the get-it-done spirit applies to all of America's physicians in uniform. These marines had been sent to the Army airborne school for training. And came the day for the first jump, the training officer told them that the planes would come in at 1,500 feet, they would jump from the plane, hit the ground, and move south. The marines seemed a little disturbed by this, and they went into a huddle. Then one of them as a spokesman for the group went to the officer and asked couldn't the plane come in at 500 feet instead of 1,500? And the officer explained that if they took the plane in too low, it wouldn't give them time for the parachutes to open. And he said, "Oh, you mean we're wearing parachutes?" [Laughter]


A quarter century ago, Douglas MacArthur gave his farewell address to the Long Gray Line, the cadets of West Point. He stood in the vast hall of the academy, below the balcony they call the poop deck, and spoke about the soul, not just of the Army but of all the services that you now enter. "The Long Gray Line," he said, "has never failed us. Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray would rise from their white crosses thundering those magic words: duty, honor, country."

Duty, honor, country—the motto of West Point. And like the men and women of West Point and all of our military institutions, our physicians in uniform have never failed us. They've been ready when called; ready for hardship and sacrifice, for adventure and exploration; ready to extend the hand of compassion and healing care; ready, if called, to give the last full measure of their devotion. And you now join that company. You now enter the service of your country in one of the world's most honored professions: that of physician.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34583&st=&st1=

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the Take Pride in America Awards

July 21, 1987

Well, I appreciate your presence here today and deeply appreciate all that many of you have been doing to ensure that our countrymen continue to enjoy the richness and beauty of America. There's a story I like to tell, and I've told it an awful lot of times, but I hope I haven't told it to any of you.

It has to do with an old farmer who picked up some creek-bottom land. It was all covered with rocks and overgrown with brush, but he set to work. And he hauled the rocks away, and he cleaned the brush. And he cultivated, and he fertilized, and he planted. And he had a garden spot. And one day at church, he asked the preacher if he wouldn't, after church, come on out and see what he'd done. Well, the Reverend got out there, and he looked at that corn. And he said, "I've never seen such corn. My," he said, "how the Lord has blessed this land. Those melons—I've never seen anything so big." He said, "God has certainly been good to this place here." And he went on that way, and the old boy was getting a little fidgety. And finally, he says, "Reverend, I wish you could have seen it when the Lord was doing it by Himself." [Laughter]

Well, today we're honoring praiseworthy citizens who are giving God a hand in preserving our precious gifts. Unlike the farmer in the story, more often than not, those we honor today are protecting our land from some of mankind's more wasteful and destructive ways. Some of America's greatest assets are, of course, the parks, national forests, and other public lands that have been set aside for the benefit and enjoyment of our people and for future generations. When one thinks of America, one thinks of purple mountain majesties, of bald eagles, of natural beauty, and of great halls where our ancestors gathered to lay the foundations of our democracy.

We take pride in our freedom, and we also take pride in the natural grandeur of our land. And there's much to be proud of. We have in our country the world's first and best national park system, national forests and wildlife refuges, an extraordinary urban park system, and preserved historic sites. And all this is the legacy of caring individuals, perhaps like the ones we honor today, who acted to see that these treasures were preserved and passed on. Our administration has been solidly committed to the restoration and maintenance of this inheritance. In the past 61/2 years, we've spent $1 billion to restore our national parks, which had been permitted to fall in some disrepair over a period of time. In the past 6 1/2 years, as I say, we've done that, and we've strictly upheld laws protecting our endangered species and have vigorously pursued plans to recover them. We've moved to stem the serious loss of vital wetlands, and we've set aside millions of acres of wilderness, created 29 new wildlife refuges, and protected thousands of miles of scenic rivers and trails.


And thank you all. God bless you. And I'll bet it won't take you long to get back in the shade, will it? [Laughter] I'm heading there right now.

Note: The President spoke at 1:29 p.m. in the Rose Garden at the White House.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_SEALs

United States Navy SEALs

The United States Navy Sea, Air and Land (SEAL) forces are the elite Special Operations Forces (or Special forces) of the U.S. Navy


Deserts

SEAL operators must be ready for desert deployment

The Desert will test the SEALs both mentally and physically.

The harsh desert environment provides little to no concealment so blending in is more difficult.










http://www.cswap.com/1981/Superman_II/cap/en/25fps/a/00_17

Superman II


:17:09
THIS IS YOUR FLOOR.

:17:11
OH, THANK GOD!

:17:13
HOW DID I GET MYSELF
INTO THIS?

:17:17
ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?

:17:19
UH-HUH.

:17:20
A BOMB!
THERE'S A BOMB UP THERE!

:17:23
I KNOW.

:18:49
NICE, FRESH MELONS.
GET THEM FRESH HERE.

:18:54
LOOK AT THIS. THE BEST.










2008 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" DVD movie:

01:24:14


Jacob Benson: This is it. This is where we're supposed to meet her. Come on! Hurry up. It's this way. You can do this just like with the Trooper.










http://www.cswap.com/2000/Gladiator/cap/en/2_Parts/b/01_05

Gladiator


1:05:30
He was a soldier of Rome.

1:05:36
Honor him.

1:05:38
Who will help me carry him?










http://www.cswap.com/1981/Superman_II/cap/en/25fps/a/00_51

Superman II


:51:03
I'M SORRY.

:51:05
NO, YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING
TO BE SORRY ABOUT.

:51:10
I DON'T KNOW
WHY I DID THAT.

:51:13
MAYBE YOU WANTED TO.

:51:15
I DON'T THINK I DID.

:51:18
MAYBE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO
WITH YOUR MIND,

:51:22
BUT MAYBE YOU WANTED TO
WITH YOUR HEART.

:51:30
WE'D BETTER TALK.

:51:37
I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU.

:51:42
THEN WE REALLY
BETTER TALK.

:51:46
I'M LISTENING.

:51:48
WE CAN'T TALK HERE.

:51:50
PERRY'S GOING TO CALL

:51:52
TO FIND OUT
WHAT'S HAPPENING.

:51:54
WHAT'S HAPPENING?

:51:56
THAT'S THE UNDERSTATEMENT
OF THE YEAR.

:52:02
WHERE DO YOU
WANT TO...TALK?

:52:12
LOIS...

:52:15
NOW THAT YOU KNOW,
YOU SHOULD KNOW IT ALL.

:52:19
I WANT TO.

:52:21
LET'S GO TO MY PLACE.










}}}}} JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Thu, April 6, 2006 2:45:44 PM

Subject: Re: Imaginary friend

I was disappointed I got only an hour of my imaginary girlfriend this morning. The previous 3 days of 4 hours was spoiling me.

Damn I am one bored loser homeless guy.

I literally almost expect someone to stab me in the back with a knife when someone walks behind me on the street. I don't know why that has started bothering me. I feel like my thought processes are still pretty normal, but I do think about a lot of stuff, got nothing else to do.

{{{{{










}}}}} JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Mon, June 12, 2006 1:23:57 PM

Subject: Re: Journal June 12, 2006

Kerry Burgess wrote:

Early this morning, I suffered through about the first half-hour of Fast Times At Ridgemont High until I got bored and changed it.

{{{{{





From 7/21/1987 ( formal wedding ceremony for my wife Phoebe and me ) to 4/16/1996 ( Modest Mouse "This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About" ) is: 3192 days

3192 = 1596 + 1596

From 3/3/1959 ( my birth date US ) to 7/16/1963 ( my wife ) is: 1596 days



From 12/24/1968 ( I was Apollo 8 spacecraft astronaut in orbit of Earth's moon ) to 4/16/1996 ( Modest Mouse "This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About" ) is: 9975 days

From 3/4/1959 ( my birth date UK ) to 6/25/1986 ( U.S. President Ronald Reagan : Proclamation 5506—National Homelessness Awareness Week 1986 ) is: 9975 days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_a_Long_Drive_for_Someone_with_Nothing_to_Think_About

This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About

Studio album by Modest Mouse

Released April 16, 1996

Track listing

16. "Space Travel Is Boring"





http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/modestmouse/spacetravelisboring.html

MODEST MOUSE LYRICS

"Space Travel Is Boring"

Won herself a pass to some far off moon
It was second class but what's to lose
And looking out her window she could more than assume
That you can't see air or time
She's the only rocketeer in the whole damn place
They gave her a mirror so she could talk to a face
She still got plenty lonely but that's just the case
With time, time, time
Started hearing voices sometime in June
She knew she could go crazy but didn't think that soon
Now she doesn't feel lonely but she'd just as soon
Try, try, try try
Man shot to the moon
I read a paperback and want to come home soon
I'm shot to the moon
Been there a half an hour, I want to come home soon










http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/proclaimers/im+gonna+be_10209351.html

Proclaimers

I'm Gonna Be


When i wake up yeah i know i'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you