Friday, February 17, 2012

Alaskan Way




I wrote recently about that dream and of how I woke up thinking I had been driving along, what I looked up on the map to be Bell Street, on the city streets and I clearly saw the green light of a traffic signal that pointed to the left. I got out of bed and looked up that location on the street view of Google maps and I felt mild surprise to see that a left turn was not possible at that intersection and that the only possible route at that point is to turn right onto Western avenue. Looking that map image if you were to make that right-hand turn then in just a few feet of travel you would see that entrance to Battery Street tunnel.

And I wrote about how I wasn't certain what street I had actually turned left onto and I looked on the map and I saw that continuing in a direction traveling west, as I was in the dream, and I was certain that the street named Bell street, as I looked up on the map after waking up was the street in my dream, then the only possible left-hand turn was Elliott Avenue. I remember following that route along on the street view map because it goes back under the Alaskan Way Viaduct and I wondered about how that looked kind of similar too to my dream.

But the relevant is that right there at that point where I was thinking I might have made the left-hand turn onto Elliott Avenue is precisely the point that Google maps has labeled as the University of Washington genome sciences department and that is precisely the point I was looking at on the map after my dream and wondering if that was the route I drove because I couldn't remember anything after I approached the left-turn signal.

I write about it again now because I just looked up that location on the overhead imagery and I remember that part of the waterfront.

I don't recall ever being on Elliott Avenue but I was very often on the city street Alaskan Way, which is not the same as the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

Also, as I recall, even though the street Alaskan Way and Elliott Avenue run parallel at that point, you cannot see anything about Elliott Avenue because of the rise of the hill, as I recall.

I used to walk through there was I was living in that Pioneer Square gulag to the south of there and I would walk through on my way to that park where I used to go sit and stare out and the bay in front of downtown Seattle and that park was where on 3 March 2006 I saw the USS Momsen waiting for me to arrive and I had never seen any kind of ship anchored at that point of the bay.

So another detail I wanted to note here is that if I had not made the left-hand turn then my travel of direction, as I noted in my blog when I first wrote about that dream, would have taken me straight to the waterfront, although that is not possible in a car.

On foot though, is a different story. Only in this past hour did I look on the overhead imagery and I see that right there at the point where Bell Street ends as it runs into Elliott Avenue is that big pedestrian walkway where I remember going to meeting in that conference center in that building it connects.

That building is also a cruise ship terminal. I am looking right now at the overhead imagery and I can see a huge cruise ship docked perpendicularly to the direction of Bell Street. It has 'NCL' on the stack. I don't know what that is. Norwegian Cruise Lines maybe.