Monday, May 28, 2012

Freedom Day




Only in the past few minutes, at 1:37 AM according to the clock on my desk, did I write this sentence, which will remain the first sentence listed in this note, and I started writing this sentence a very few minutes after I watched again a scene from the DVD for the 1980 film "The Final Countdown."

Only because I watched that scene just a few minutes ago did I decide to make this note.

And only because of the dialog by the US Navy chief about the "ancient" code and then specifically because the scene follows with the E-2 Hawkeye did I decide to make this note.

When did I have that dream? Yesterday? The day before? I think yesterday. I'm not certain. My sleep is so sporadic my ability to discern the day I was asleep is difficult. One minor consolation is in recent days I discovered a new power for falling asleep much faster than I have ever know before. For the past few days, or past couple days, I discovered if I just think to myself silently in my mind as I am lying in bed and hoping to fall asleep, which is always difficult, "Just clear your mind" and then I think of some place, usually some place in the woods, some peaceful place, that I would rather be trying to fall asleep at, then I do suddenly fall asleep. I have been surprised lately at how well that works. I don't sleep better but I do like that I can fall asleep quickly.

So anyway, I had a dream recently, probably yesterday, that I gave a tremendous amount of thought to.

Why does it matter? It's because of certain details in the dream.

The Sumner line. Never in a million years could I have told you what that means if you had asked me.

But yet my dream was so relevant to that detail that I find it compelling enough to record here.

I awoke from the dream, as best I recall, but I do know for certain when I jumped out of bed and to sit down at my desk I immediately searched the internet for "sumner."

Specifically, "Sumner." I thought it might be a place and when I saw of list on Wikipedia that did not include "Fort Sumner" that I realized I was wrong and that I was actually thinking I might find Fort *Sumter.*

So then I started reading about 'Sumner.'

What I found was surprising.

For one reason I had never heard of Thomas Sumner. Sure, I had been a helmsman on the USS Taylor FFG 50 back in the year 1985 but I was only a helmsman. I didn't navigate the ship. My skills were based only in knowing how much rudder angle would cause the ship to arrive at the number on the compass in front of me. I was aware of certain basic navigation principles but for a very long time, marginally even to this day, but especially back in the year 1985, I am not certain I could even tell you correctly what was the difference between longitude and latitude. I knew about those topics but I was not really certain which one corresponded to which direction around the face of our planet Earth.

THE DREAM that I had in recent hours: the dream started off and I wanted to remember details earlier from the point but I cannot and that annoys me because there seemed to be something miraculous, something extraordinary, going on through that point I can start to remember. The point I can start to remember the dream is as though it is some kind of visualization of an airplane, which I was inside, and which was a commercial airliner, spiraling down, in a flat-spin, meaning the nose and tail remain parallel with the surface of the planet, towards the surface of the ocean. In that dream, I specifically saw the right-side wing impact first on the surface of the ocean.

So I thought, seems to be so far a normal dream for my mind. I have noted before that I have sometimes dreamed about work so that would make sense. I am dreaming about details that I have written about before and, to me, that seems to be possibly a normal dream for my mind.

In the dream, we've crashed in the ocean. After being awake for a while, I started wondering if I should be wondering why I am having a "Poseidon Adventure" dream. And wasn't there the "Airport '77" where the airplane is underwater? I have no idea if I have ever seen "Airport '77" but "Poseidon Adventure" seems familiar.

So in my dream, I see myself, and I think consistently since then that while I see everything from the perspective of my eyes, that I am not seeing the perspective from my personal experience. I see from my eyes that I am looking at the back row of seats in the aircraft. Some of the details are now gone from my mind about the dream but I am aware that the tail section of the airplane is floating above water and that reminds me of my report awhile back about a US Navy submarine in the same predicament and just as I read about that US Navy submarine I see my cutting through the fuselage of the hull so that we can escape before the hull sinks and we all drown.

So I see myself clearly and I have one doorway cut, with it sort of similar, in the dream, to me cutting a door-shape in a curtain that represents the hull, because it was all very simplistic in the dream, and I am aware of a second doorway that has been cut to my left and the left of the first doorway and then I am aware of a third doorway and that detail is what is the most compelling.

As I heard in the dream, some other person said words to the effect of "We'll call this door 'Sumner.' That was very clear in the dream. The first two doors had no names. Also, the doors were under the water, which was an usual detail I thought of since the day

So I heard "We'll call this door Sumner" and I was looking down at the three doors we had cut into the hull and we were doing that so that everyone onboard could escape from drowning in the ocean.

Just after I heard "We'll call this door Sumner" in that lucid dream I could clearly see the window in the fuselage of the airplane that any commercial airplane traveler would recognize and I noted with alarm that the line of water on that airplane window was rising.

I yelled out "We're rolling over" and that was because the line of water - the LINE OF WATER - that I could plainly see in the dream - was rising towards the top of the window and that was a bad sign.

The last thing I remember, again with certain over the day I was seeing that dream from the perspective of someone elses eyes, was of me gasping in for a large gulp of air as I looked down and was about to jump through one of the open doors and hope I could make it out to the surface before the airplane sank. The water was a yellowish-green I will never forget.

I had a lot of other dreams but that is the only one I can now recall and it is the detail about Sumner and the line of water on the window that gets me. For a long time I didn't know if "E2" was variable for navigators to reference some kind of mathematical function for Sumner's observation but then I read that it is just the page number in a reference material of celestial navigation but that kind of detail lingers in my mind; the variables.










Also, I started looking back through my journal yesterday and I though of how only one year did ago I figure out the detail about the bridge at Vantage.

Last year, Memorial Day was on May 30th. May 28th was the day in the year 2011 when I suddenly thought to look closer at that detail.

This year, the year 2012, Memorial Day is now today May 28th.

I have been wondering if there would be some kind of cosmic significance to that because, the fact is indisputable that I am a cosmic kind of guy.










1980 film "The Final Countdown" DVD video:


US Navy chief petty officer: It's a code.

US Navy commander Dan Thurman - USS Nimitz CVN 68 executive officer: Can you break it, Chief?

US Navy chief petty officer: I think someone's putting us on.

US Navy commander Dan Thurman - USS Nimitz CVN 68 executive officer: Why?

US Navy chief petty officer: Because I learned this code at Great Lakes. It's ancient.





http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Final_Countdown_The_1980_CD1.html


Final Countdown


I want to talk to CI NPAC Fleet.
Captain, we're down across the board. Antennas check out, but we're off the air.
- Any word from our destroyers? - We aren't getting anything
except some code transmissions in the 200-meter band.
Otherwise, we're dead as a doornail.
- Ops, what's our radar picture? - Radar shows us clear, sir.
Clear? Can't you see that Russian trawler?
I have the signal officer on deck, but no visual sighting, sir.
Keep me advised. Navigator, what's our posi?
270, Captain. 280 miles west of Pearl Harbor.
Oh, Dick. Launch a Hawkeye to check ship's communications
a Crusader to make a photo run over Pearl and put two Tomcats on ready alert.
- Aye, aye, sir. - Captain! Captain!
Hey, what happened?
Frankly, I don't know.
Lieutenant, have the heads of all departments
meet me at C.V.I.C. immediately after the launch.
Aye, aye, sir.
- Mr. Lasky, I want you to stay with me. - Captain's off the Bridge.
It's a code.
Can you break it, Chief?
- I think someone's putting us on. - Why?
Because I learned this code at Great Lakes. It's ancient.
Thanks, Chief.
Stand clear at 012. Hawkeye rotating.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumner


Sumner

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sumner may refer to:


Surname

The surname Sumner originates in the English-language word that is spelled, in modern English, summoner, denoting a person who serves a summons. In Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, one of the characters is a summoner (see "The Summoner's Tale")


Other


The Sumner method, a way of finding a ship's location at sea; William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) calculated a set of tables for its ready application


USS Sumner, multiple ships










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sumner

USS Sumner

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sumner has been the name of four ships in the United States Navy. The destroyers, DD-333 and DD-692, were named after World War I Marine Corps Captain Allen Melancthon Sumner. The survey ships, AGS-5 and T-AGS-61, were named after the 19th century Navy captain Thomas Hubbard Sumner.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hubbard_Sumner


Thomas Hubbard Sumner

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Hubbard Sumner (20 March 1807 – 9 March 1876) was a sea captain during the 19th century. He is best known for developing the celestial navigation method known as the Sumner Line or line of position.

Biography

Thomas Hubbard Sumner was born in Boston on March 20, 1807, the son of Thomas Waldron Sumner, an architect, and Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Hubbard, of Weston Massachusetts. Sumner was one of eleven children, four of whom died young. Of the seven that survived he was the only son. He entered Harvard at age fifteen.

At the age of 19, shortly after graduating, he married and ran off to New York with a woman with whom he had become entangled but the marriage was short-lived and they were divorced three years later. He then enrolled as a common sailor on a ship engaged in the China trade and within eight years he had risen to the rank of captain and was master of his own ship. On March 10, 1834 he married Selina Christiana Malcolm, of Connecticut and between 1835 and 1848 together they had six children, two of whom died in their infancy.

On November 25, 1837, Sumner sailed from Charleston, South Carolina, bound for Greenock, Scotland, and it was during that voyage, while entering the channel of Saint George and the Irish sea, that he discovered the principle upon which his new method of navigation was based. He took some years to perfect it and published it in the form of a short book in 1843.

Shortly after that his mind began to fail and in 1850 he was committed to the McLean Asylum in Boston. His state gradually deteriorated and in 1865 he was committed to the Lunatic Hospital at Taunton, Massachusetts, where he died in 1876 at the age of 69.

Two survey ships in the United States Navy have been named for him, USS Sumner. Also, the crater Sumner on the Moon is named after him.

Discovery

He "discovered" the (later so-called) line of position, which he named "parallel of equal altitude" on a voyage from South Carolina to Scotland in 1837. On December 17, 1837, as he was nearing the coast of Wales, he was uncertain of his position after several days of cloudy weather and no sights. A momentary opening in the clouds allowed him to take a sight of the sun which he reduced with his estimated latitude but, being uncertain about the latitude he reduced the sight again using 10' greater and 20' greater latitude and he observed that all three resulting positions were located in a straight line which also happened to pass through a navigation light near the coast. He reasoned that he must be located somewhere along that line and so he set course along that line reasoning that he should eventually sight the light which, in fact he did. He realized that a single observation of the altitude of a celestial body determines the position of a line somewhere on which the observer is located. Sumner published his findings six years later in 1843 and this method of resolving a sight for two different latitudes and drawing a "line of position" through the two positions obtained was an important development in celestial navigation. The method was instantly recognized as important and a copy of the pamphlet describing the method was supplied to every ship in the United States Navy.










http://www.angelfire.com/nt/navtrig/E2.html


E2 - - - THE SUMNER LINE - - 10/03/2004

The method of navigation involving the use of the Sumner line, or line of position, takes its name from Capt. Thomas H. Sumner, an American ship-master, who discovered it and published it to the world. As proof of its value, the incident which led to its discovery may be related:

Having sailed from Charleston, S. C., November 25th, 1837, bound for Greenock, a series of heavy gales from the westward promised a quick passage; after passing the Azors the wind prevailed from the southward, with thick weather; after passing longitude 21 W. no observation was had until near the land, but soundings were had not far, as was supposed from the bank. The weather was now more boisterous and very thick, and the wind still southerly; arriving about midnight, December 17th within 40 miles, by reckoning, of Tuskar light, the wind hauled SE. true, making the Irish coast a lee shore; the ship was then kept close to the wind and several tacks made to preserve her position as nearly as possible until daylight, when, nothing being in sight, she was kept on ENE. under short sail with heavy gales. At about 10 a. m. an altitude of the sun was observed and the chronometer time noted; but, having run so far without observation, it was plain the latitude by dead reckoning was liable to error and could not be entirely relied upon.

The longitude by chronometer was determined, using this uncertain latitude, and it was found to be 15' E. of the position by reckoning; a second latitude was then assumed 10' north of that by dead reckoning, and toward the danger, giving a position 27 miles ENE. of the former position; a third latitude was assumed 10' farther north, and still toward the danger, giving a third position ENE. of the second 27 miles. Upon plotting these three positions on the chart, they were seen to be in a straight line, and this line passed through Smalls light.

It then at once appeared that the observed altitude must have happened at all of the three points and at Smalls light and at the ship at the same instant.

Then followed the conclusion that, although the absolute position of the ship was uncertain, she must be somewhere on that line. The ship was kept on the course ENE. and in less than an hour Smalls light was made, bearing ENE. 1/2E. and close abord.

NOTE

Smalls light is located off the coast of Wales at;

51° 43' N 05° 40' W

and Tuskar light is located off the coast of Ireland at;

52° 10' N 06° 12' W










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 09/23/08 9:36 PM
I was steering a boat along a river that looked kind of green and then I came to a point where I had to drag the pontoon boat onto the ground because the river seemed to end. I could see a large lake off to the right but I could not figure out how to get there with the boat. The river seemed to have stopped very near to a cliff as I could see the cliff I was standing at and that lake was at a much lower elevation than I was at. I don't know where the water was going. I didn't see a waterfall. I guess the river channel had just stopped and it was some kind back-channel that was not flowing.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 23 September 2008 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 09/23/08 9:47 PM
I have been trying hard to remember the part of the dream that leads up to the point I remember dreaming about but as usual I cannot remember. The first part I remember is that I was steering the pontoon boat along the river and I seemed to be alone but details from later in the dream suggest I was not. On the bank to the right, I saw a group of people and there might have been another river channel leading off in that direction that they were on. I remember a woman saying "How dare you" but I don't know who she was referring to and I cannot actually remember seeing her. One person in the group started swimming in the river and crossed behind the boat towards the other side. Then there was something about a sign posted in the middle of the river channel that cautioned about a buried cable and then something about how people seldom used caution about that particular buried cable or about any other buried cable. I am not certain if the detail I heard from some unseen person was about that particular buried cable or about how people seldom use caution with buried cables in general. I might have cranked up the speed right about then but I am fuzzy on that part. The next part I remember was about dragging the boat out of the water and after being awake for a while I started to wonder if that has something to do with the portage area I was reviewing all those times at Allyn, Washington, but I do not think that is it although it could be some general reference to portage for boat. But I don't know. I don't think that is it.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 23 September 2008 excerpt ends]










[ Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi the cowardly International Terrorist Organization violently against the United States of America actively instigate insurrection and subversive activity against the United States of America with all Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi staff partners contributors employees contractors lawyers managers of any capacity as severely treasonous criminal accomplices and that are active unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States that actively make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in the United States and in the Severely Treasonous and Criminally Rebellious State of Washington by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings ]


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1256258/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

"The Mentalist"

Pilot (2008)

Country Date

USA 23 September 2008
UK 26 March 2009

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1256258/

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

The Mentalist: Season 1, Episode 1

Pilot (23 Sep. 2008)


Simon Baker ... Patrick Jane


Police consultant Patrick Jane is suspended after inadvertently driving a wife to shoot her devoted husband, by deducing a family drama at first sight. He's soon asked back to the CBI profiling unit, however, for what initially appears to be a victim of the serial killer Red John. He takes extreme risks and uses his dirtiest tricks to solve the sinister, complicated case which involves prescription drug lies and a diary.


Release Date: 23 September 2008 (USA)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053571/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960)

Country Date

USA 17 June 1960 (premiere)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120082/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Scream 2 (1997)


Mickey: It's a perfect example of life imitating art imitating life.










http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/corpinfo/overview/history-e.html


TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY


Corporate Information


History


March 26, 1971 TEPCO's first nuclear power facility, the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station's No. 1 reactor (460 MW) began operation










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120082/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

Scream 2 (1997)

Country Date

USA 10 December 1997 (Hollywood, California) (premiere)










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanapum_Dam


Wanapum Dam

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Wanapum Dam is a hydroelectric project located on the Columbia River downstream (south) from Vantage, Washington where Interstate 90 crosses the Columbia from Grant County into Kittitas County. It is owned by the Grant County Public Utility District. Its reservoir is named Lake Wanapum.

The dam, and its lake, are named after the Wanapum Indians. The dam has a rated capacity of 1,038 megawatts and annually generates over 4 million megawatt-hours.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_48_torpedo


Mark 48 torpedo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


The Mark 48 and its improved ADCAP (Advanced Capability) variant are heavyweight submarine-launched torpedoes. They were designed to sink fast, deep-diving nuclear-powered submarines and high-performance surface ships.





http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/red-storm-rising/trivia


Moby Games


Red Storm Rising

Commodore 64


Published by

MicroProse Software, Inc.

Developed by

MicroProse Software, Inc.

Released

1988


The game actually has FOUR mode, theorizing the the actual time of the conflict. The book was written with the technology of 1988, but you can play the game in 1984, 1988, 1992, or 1996 respectively, with different orders of battle.

In 1984, Russian naval forces did not receive any of the "acquired" western technology, but the US subs only have the original Harpoon and Mk 48 torpedo.

In 1988, the Russian SIERRA and KILO subs enter service, and more ships get tech upgrades. The US gets Tomahawk missile and the Mk48 ADCAP torpedo.

In 1992, the Russians gets the Kuznetzov nuclear aircraft carrier with more tech upgrades for the other ships. The US gets Sea Lance AWS missile and Stinger SAM mast.

In 1996, almost all Russian ships get tech upgrades, and they also get more ships. For the NATO side, the Seawolf-class sub enters service with the silent "swim-out" Mk. 48 torpedo.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/79701/Clancy_-_Red_Storm_Rising.txt


Clancy Tom, Red Storm Rising [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

Tom Clancy

Red Storm Rising


USS INDEPENDENCE

Toland switched viewgraphs, in the projector. "Okay, these satellite shots are less than three hours old. Ivan has three mobile radars, here, here, and here. He moves them about daily-meaning that one's probably been moved already-and usually has two operating around the clock. At Keflavik we have five SA-11 launch vehicles, four birds per vehicle. This SAM is very bad news. You've all been briefed on its known capabilities, and you'd better figure on a few hundred hand-held SAMs, too. The photo shows six mobile antiaircraft guns. We don't see any fixed ones. They're there, gentlemen, they're just camouflaged. At least five, perhaps as many as ten MiG-29 fighter interceptors. This used to be a regiment until the guys from Nimitz cut them down to size. Remember that the ones who're left are the ones who survived two squadrons of Tomcats. That is the opposition at Keflavik."

Toland stepped aside while the wing operations officer went over the mission profile. It sounded impressive to Toland. He hoped it would be so for the Russians.

The curtain went up fifty minutes later. The first aircraft launched for the strike were the E-2C Hawkeyes. Accompanied by fighters, they flew to within eighty miles of the Icelandic coast and radiated their own radar coverage all over the formation. More Hawkeyes reached farther out to cover the formation from possible air-and submarine-launched missile attack.

KEFLAVIK, ICELAND

Ground-based Soviet radar detected the Hawkeyes even before their powerful systems went active. They could see two of the slow propeller-driven aircraft hovering beyond SAM range, each accompanied by two other aircraft whose extended figure-eight-course tracks denoted them as Tomcat interceptors guarding the Hawkeyes. The alarm was sounded. Fighter pilots boarded their aircraft while missile and gun crews raced to their stations.

The fighter-force commander was a major with three kills to his credit-but who had learned the virtue of caution the hard way. He'd been shot down once already. The Americans had sprung one trap on his regiment and he had no wish to participate in a second. If this was an attack and not a feint to draw out what fighters remained on Iceland-how would he know? He reached his decision. On the major's command, the fighters lifted off, climbed to twenty thousand feet, and orbited over the peninsula, conserving their fuel and remaining over land, where they could be supported by friendly SAMs. They had exercised carefully the previous few days with these tactics, and were as confident as they could be that the missile crews could distinguish between friendly and unfriendly aircraft. When they got to altitude, their radar threat receivers told them of more American Hawkeyes to the east and west. The information was relayed home with a request for a strike by the Backfires. What they got back was a request to identify the American fleet's location and composition. The air-base commander didn't bother forwarding that. The Soviet fighter commander swore under his breath. The American radar aircraft were prime targets, and tantalizingly within reach. With a full regiment, he'd streak after them and risk losses from their fighter escorts, but he was sure that that was precisely what the Americans were hoping he'd do.

"Red Storm Rising"

The Intruders went in first, skimming above the wavetops from the south at five hundred knots, Standard-ARM missiles hanging from their wings. More Tomcat fighters were behind them at high altitude. When the fighters, passed the radar aircraft, they illuminated the circling MiGs with their radars and began to fire off Phoenix missiles.

The MiGs couldn't ignore them. The Soviet fighters separated into two-plane elements and scattered, coached from their ground-based radar controllers.

The Intruders popped up at a range of thirty miles, just outside range of the SAMs, and loosed four Standard-ARM missiles each, which homed in on the Russian search radars. The Russian radar operators faced a cruel choice. They could leave their search radars on and almost certainly have them destroyed or turn them off and lessen the chance-and completely lose track of the overhead air battle. They chose a middle ground. The Soviet SAM commander ordered his men to flip their systems on and off at random intervals, hoping to confuse the incoming missiles while keeping tenuous coverage of the incoming strike. The missile flight time was just over a minute, and most of the radar crews took the time to switch their systems off and leave them off-each misunderstanding the order in the most advantageous manner.

The Phoenixes arrived first. The MiG pilots suddenly lost their ground-control guidance, but kept maneuvering. One aircraft had four missiles targeted, and evaded two missiles only to blunder into another one. The major in command swore at his inability to hit back as he tried to think of something that would work.

Next came the Standard-ARMs. The Russians had three air-search radars and three more for missile-acquisition. All had been turned on when the first alarm sounded, then all had gone black after the missiles had been detected in the air. The Standards were only partially confused. Their guidance systems had been designed to record the position of a radar in case it did go off the air, and they homed in on those positions now. The missiles killed two transmitters entirely and damaged two others.

The American mission commander was annoyed. The Russian fighters were not cooperating. They hadn't come out even when the Intruders had popped up-he'd had more fighters waiting low for that eventuality. But the Soviet radars were down. He gave the next order. Three squadrons of F/A-18 Hornets streaked in low from the north.

The Russian air-defense commander ordered his radars back on, saw that no more missiles were in the air, and soon picked up the low-flying Hornets. The MiG commander saw the American attack aircraft next, and with them, his chance. The MiG-29 was a virtual twin to the new American aircraft.

The Hornets sought out the Russian SAM launchers and began to launch their guided weapons at them. Missiles crisscrossed the sky. Two Hornets fell to missiles, two more to guns, as the American fighter-bombers scoured the ground with bombs and gunfire. Then the MiGs arrived.

The American pilots were warned, but were too close to their bombing targets to react at once. Once free of their heavy ordnance, they were fighters again, and climbed into the sky-they feared MiGs more than missiles. The resulting air battle was a masterpiece of confusion. The two aircraft would have been hard to distinguish sitting side by side on the ground. At six hundred knots, in the middle of battle, the task was almost impossible, and the Americans, with their greater numbers, had to hold fire until they were sure of their targets. The Russians knew what they were attacking, but they too shrank from shooting with abandon at a target that looked too much like a comrade's aircraft. The result was a swarming mix of fighters closing to a range too short for missiles, as pilots sought positive target identification, an anachronistic gun duel punctuated by surface-to-air missiles from the two surviving Russian launchers. Controllers on the American aircraft and the Russian ground station never had a chance to direct matters. It was entirely in the hands of the pilots. The fighters went to afterburner and swept into punishing high-g turns while heads swiveled and eyes squinted at familiar shapes while trying to decide if the paint scheme was friendly or not. That part of the task was fairly even. The American planes were haze-gray and harder to spot, allowing easier target identification at long range than at short. Two Hornets died first, followed by a MiG. Then another MiG fell to cannon fire, and a Hornet to a snap-shot missile. An errant SAM exploded a MiG and a Hornet together.

The Soviet major saw that and screamed for the SAMs to hold fire; then he fired his cannon at a Hornet blazing across his nose, missed, and turned to follow him. He watched the American close for a high-deflection shot on a MiG-29 and damage its engine. The major didn't know how many of his aircraft were left. It was beyond that. He was engaged in a struggle for personal survival-which he expected to lose. Caution faded to nothing as he closed on afterburner and ignored his low-fuelstate light. His target turned north and led him over the water. The major fired his last missile and then watched it track right into the Hornet's right engine as his own engines flamed out. The Hornet's tail fragmented and the major screamed with delight as he and the American pilot ejected a few hundred meters apart. Four kills, the major thought. At least I have done my duty. He was in the water thirty seconds later.

"Red Storm Rising"

Commander Davies crawled into his raft despite a broken wrist, cursing and blessing his luck at the same time. His first considered action was to activate his rescue radio. He looked around and saw another yellow raft a short distance away. It wasn't easy paddling with one arm, but the other guy was paddling toward him. What came next was quite a surprise.

"You are prisoner!" The man was pointing a gun at him. Davies's revolver was at the bottom of the sea.

"Who the hell are you?"

"I am Major Alexandr Georgiyevich Chapayev-Soviet Air Force."

"Howdy. I'm Commander Gus Davies, U.S. Navy. Who got you?"

"No one get me! I run out of fuel!" He waved the gun. "And you are my prisoner."

"Oh, horseshit!"

Major Chapayev shook his head. Like Davies, he was in a near-state of shock from the stress of combat and his close escape from death.

"Hold on to that gun, though, Major. I don't know if there're sharks around here or not."

"Sharks?"

Davies had to think for a moment. The code name for that new Russian sub. "Akula. Akula in the water."

Chapayev went pale. "Akula?"

Davies unzipped his flight suit and tucked in his injured arm. "Yeah, Major. This is the third time I've had to go swimming. Last time I was on the raft for twelve hours, and I saw a couple of the Goddamned things. You got any repellant on your raft?"

"What?" Chapayev was really confused now.

"This stuff." Davies dipped the plastic envelope in the water. "Let's rope your raft to mine. Safer that way. This repellant stuffs supposed to keep the akula away."

Davies tried to secure the rafts one-handed and failed. Chapayev set the gun down to help. After being shot down once, then surviving an air battle, the major was suddenly obsessed with the idea of being alive. The idea of being eaten by a carnivorous fish horrified him. He looked over the side of the raft into the water.

"Christ, what a morning," Davies groaned. His wrist was really hurting now.

Chapayev grunted agreement. He looked around for the first time and realized he couldn't see land. Next he reached for his rescue radio and found that his leg was lacerated, the radio pocket on his flight suit ripped away in the ejection.

"Aren't we two sorry sons of bitches," he said in Russian.

"What's that?"

"Where is land?" The sea had never looked so vast.

"About twenty-five miles that way, I think. That leg doesn't look too good, Major." Davies laughed coldly. "We must have the same kind of ejector seats. Oh, shit! This arm hurts."










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067809/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971)

Country Date

USA 26 May 1971 (New York City, New York)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Armageddon (1998)


Colonel Davis, USAF: Good luck, Freedom.










http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/LCS1.htm

NVR

Naval Vessel Register

USS FREEDOM (LCS 1) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

LITTORAL COMBAT SHIP
Class: LCS
Fleet: Pacific
Status: Active, in commission Homeport: SAN DIEGO, CA
Force: Battle Force

Award Date: 12/15/2004
Keel Date: 06/02/2005
Launch Date: 09/23/2006
Commission Date: 11/08/2008





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102216/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

King Ralph (1991)


Ralph Jones: There's no problem that can't be ignored if we really put our minds to it.





http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/LCS2.htm

NVR

Naval Vessel Register


USS INDEPENDENCE (LCS 2) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

LITTORAL COMBAT SHIP
Class: LCS
Fleet: Pacific
Status: Active, in commission
Homeport: SAN DIEGO, CA
Force: Battle Force

Award Date: 10/14/2005
Keel Date: 01/19/2006
Launch Date: 04/29/2008
Commission Date: 01/16/2010










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Independence Day (1996) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


David Levinson: You really think you can fly that thing?

Captain Steven Hiller: You really think you can do all that bullshit you just said?










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Independence Day (1996) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Capt. Jimmy Wilder: You scared, man?

Captain Steven Hiller: No. You?

Capt. Jimmy Wilder: No. Hold me.

Captain Steven Hiller: Hey, pay attention!

Lt. Colonel Watson: Something you want to add to this briefing, Captain Hiller?

Captain Steven Hiller: No Sir, just a little anxious to get up there and whoop E.T.'s ass, that's all!










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pansy

Dictionary.com


pansy


a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Independence Day (1996) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Captain Steven Hiller: THAT'S RIGHT! Thats what you get! Look at you, ship all banged up! WHO'S THE MAN? HUH? WHO'S THE MAN? Wait until I get another plane! I am going to line all your friends RIGHT BESIDE YOU!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039808/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)

Country Date

USA 4 August 1947 (Chicago, Illinois) (premiere)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Independence Day (1996) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Captain Steven Hiller: [after crashing the alien spaceship by the Grand Canyon] *That's* what you get! Ha Ha! Look at you! Ya ship's all banged up!

[shouts]

Captain Steven Hiller: Who's the man? Huh? Who's the man? Wait till I get another plane! I'm a line ya friends up right beside you! Where ya at, huh? Where ya at?

[Hiller opens the spaceship, the alien screams, Hiller smacks him in the head]

Captain Steven Hiller: Welcome to earth.





- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 04:02 AM Pacific Time USA Monday 28 May 2012