Friday, May 25, 2012

I don't care what undercover rock you crawled out from, there's a dress code for detectives in Robbery-Homicide.




For some reason, and for no particular reason I make this note, I always recall that July 9th was the day we returned to port aboard the USS Wainwright CG 28. That must have been the year 1988.

I don't have any references to confirm that day of month and year.

I do remember the local television station in Charleston South Carolina was onboard to videotape an interview with the captain of our ship.

I remember that because the television camera was pointed at me personally for most of the time we traveled from the outer harbor to whenever the interview happened with the captain and that seemed to me to be a long time.

At that time I was the intership phone talker for the commanding officer of the ship. On the bridge, during the evolution titled 'Sea and Anchor Detail' the commanding officer was in control of the ship and the ship was usually in restricted maneuvering. That meant we were usually mooring to a pier or even more cautiously maneuvering an extremely close distance to another very large ship as we had large rubber hoses connected to each other transferring fuel or a lot of ropes connected to each other transferring ammunition to our ship.

I didn't want the job, which was typically a watchstander position among the dozens of sailors in my division, as was understood by me because the watchstander at the time was in my division, but an officer in my division talked me into taking the role because I had experience no one else had in my division. His rationale was that because I had been a deck division sailor aboard the USS Taylor FFG 50 then I was best qualified to serve as the captain's phone talker on the bridge of the USS Wainwright CG 28. That made sense to me so I accepted the role, of which I accepted quickly enough to never be sure later if I ever had a choice. That argument was very true that I did serve many hours and days and weeks and months on the bridge and Sea and Anchor Detail stations aboard the USS Taylor FFG 50. I remember a spell when the commanding officer of the USS Taylor FFG 50, when we were out to sea back in the year 1985, would often, it seemed to me, be saying to me, "You, get out of here," or words to that effect.

As for the year 1988, when those details were in progress I was the person, aboard the USS Wainwright CG 28, who relayed the orders of other stations aboard the ship who were not in voice proximity of the commanding officer of our ship.

I remember we were on the television news in Charleston South Carolina because my girlfriend, my very-soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend, commented that she even saw me when they flashed me on the television screen as I stood there on the bridge of the USS Wainwright CG 28 as we traveled through the harbor and past the island fort to our left and my favorite Battery Street beyond that and then the Patriots Point commercial operation to our right and then the massive Cooper River bridge ahead of us, and I thought of how much the captain said and of how little the news broadcast that night but I recall he said he was looking forward to getting back home to his wife and I think he said that "little girl from Arkansas," his home state, I had heard, and I am not certain if I remember his precise words but that is close, perhaps, to how he referred to his wife in that television broadcast that I saw later that night on the local television news in Charleston South Carolina.

So I am pretty certain I was referring to that date July 9th a very long time ago. Back before the year 2006.

I decided to write here about those details because I recall that our arrival was broadcast on television news in Charleston South Carolina the day we arrived and that was when we returned in 1988 from our deployment to the Persian Gulf.










http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1989_639125/list-of-surviving-passengers-crew-from-crash-of-un.html

chron Houston Chronicle Archives

List of surviving passengers, crew from crash of United Flight 232

Associated Press

WED 07/26/1989 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

CHICAGO - Here are the names of surviving passengers and crew from the crash of a United Airlines' DC-10 near Sioux City, Iowa. The names were provided by United and from reports from survivors' families; ages and hometowns were gathered from a variety of sources.

Crew

Capt. Al C. Haynes, Seattle


Passengers


Clifton Marshall, Ostrander, Ohio










From 10/26/1956 ( Rita Wilson ) To 4/30/1961 ( United States postal code 43061 - Ostrander Ohio ) is 1647 days

From 4/30/1961 ( United States postal code 43061 - Ostrander Ohio ) To 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) is 1647 days










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090274/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Volunteers (1985)


Lawrence Bourne III: Just a minute, stewardess!

Tammy: Yes?

Lawrence Bourne III: Could you get the pilot to send a telegram for me?

[Writes down message]

Lawrence Bourne III: 'Dear Dad. Have made terrible mistake and joined the Peace Corps. Please arrange to have me brought home at once. Your loving son, blah, blah, blah Lawrence'.

Tammy: Are you sure?

Lawrence Bourne III: Do I look like I'm associated with this hootenanny? And when you come back, bring me something with alcohol in it.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/B/Big.html


Big


(Mom) Honey? I put out some clean clothes.
Bring down your dungarees and stuff for the laundry, OK?
(deep voice) OK.
- Are you getting a cold, Josh? -(high-pitched) No! I'm fine.
He's got a cold. Now Rachel's gonna get a cold, I'm gonna get a cold...










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/B/Big.html


Big


Susan, I'm not what you think I am.
What do you mean?
Before I met you, I was in Little League.
Um... I was in Little League,...
..and I rode my bike to school





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Big (1988)


Interviewer: Where did you go to school?

Josh: It was called George Washington.

Interviewer: Oh G.W. My brother-in-law got his doctorate there. Did you pledge?

Josh: Yes. Every morning.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092007/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)


Ambassador Sarek: As I recall, I opposed your enlistment in Starfleet. It is possible that judgment was incorrect. Your associates are people of good character.

Spock: They are my friends.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Final_Countdown_The_1980_CD1.html


Final Countdown The


Captain, we're getting something you might wanna hear.
- In the Plot Room. - Aye, sir.
The Germans are retreating on the 70-mile front in southern Russia.
However, forces were reported 200 miles from Moscow
and long-range artillery fire was heard in the suburbs of Moscow.
- Meanwhile in Washington... - What the hell's going on here?
Sir, I think you ought to see
these aerial reconnaissance photographs of Pearl Harbor.
- Turn that off! - Yes, sir.
That'll be all. You.
- It's not Pearl Harbor. - Sure as hell is.
Look at that old battle rig.
It's a memorial now. It's the Arizona.
- But she's completely intact. - That's right.
- Get Mr. Lasky back up here. - Yes, sir.
What's the matter with you?
I was just on the Bridge. They're scared. Real scared.
- What happened? - It's crazy.
The Russians, us, even the Germans.
- We've finally done it. - Done what, for Christ's sake?
- War. We're at war. - You always talkin' shit.





- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 11:09 PM Pacific Time USA Friday 25 May 2012