Sunday, July 05, 2015

"A compendium of all human knowledge."




All right, The System, just you and me.

How about I call you Zoie.

Two intelligent beings trying to figure out how to communicate.

So let's start.

We are pals.

We are sitting around wondering what each other is thinking.

So I'm going to tell you.

I'm sitting here watching another episode selectively from season 3 of the "Stargate SG-1" television series.

So we - just you and I - and engaged in friendly conversations that pals enjoy.

I'm watching the first few minutes of the Season 4 Episode 16 titled "2010" and I am annoyed.

I am annoyed by the transcripts of the dialog. Now, perhaps we are seeing different versions but I have to wonder and that is for reasons I will explain.

I have paused the video right now and I clearly see the text in the video of the newspaper and that text reads in part "Aging" but the transcription is clearly different.

A misspelling or what I jump to the conclusion of the pretension of non-American English.

But wait: the video clearly shows the title of the newspaper. Was that changed, presumably, in the multi-national version of the episode? Seems doubtful.

Well, the text is distinctly different from the video but the context still seems accurate in terms of my complaint. The final result is simply the incompetence of amateurs, I would think. Well, that's something that reminds me of all those years of impersonal work at Microsoft and of the work I went to make it more personal especially considering all the non-United States companies I was the contract representative. And in terms of this free service of the transcription, hell, those could be sixteen years old doing all that work for all I know. A few months ago a meteorology blog I have been following along with interest suddenly sprung us on that he is a high school student aspiring to study weather in college.

Seems so pretentious of lame-oid weaklings that can't even get the spelling right.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/4.16_%222010%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


4.16 "2010" [ Stargate SG-1 ]


EXT—AN OPEN-AIR CAFE

[Joe Faxon is siting at a table reading the Washington Post. The headline reads "Aschen Promise Anti-Ageing Vaccine Worldwide." Carter walks up and sits down.]










That's a coffee pot, you sissy-boy moron.










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-twilight-zone/where-is-everybody-12585/recap/

tv.com


The Twilight Zone Season 1 Episode 1

Where is Everybody?

Aired Unknown Oct 02, 1959 on CBS

EPISODE RECAP

A man appears walking out of a road towards a cafe with loud music playing. When he steps in he notices that there is no one in the seats, the booths, or behind the counter. He decides to explore the cafe for anyone that may be there and he starts off with the back rooms. Still no one so he yells into the back for someone to provide service. No answer again. As he returns inside he sees that the stove is on with pancakes already made and a teapot already hot. He decides to grab a cup and makes some tea, but he accidentally knocks down a clock. The music stops, almost simultaneously. Still thinking that someone might be there he calls out for anyone working there to make hash browns and eggs, over-easy. Continuing to call out he establishes that he is an American and he is in a foreign country.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-twilight-zone-1959&episode=s01e01

Springfield! Springfield!


The Twilight Zone (1959)

Where is Everybody?


I GOT $2.85, AMERICAN MONEY.
SURE.
AMERICAN MONEY.
WELL, WE'VE GOT THAT MUCH SETTLED.
I'M AN AMERICAN.
YOU SEE, THERE'S SOME QUESTION ABOUT MY IDENTITY.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 2:55 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 05 July 2015