Saturday, December 26, 2015

Once an Eagle




http://www.azlyrics.com/p/pinkfloyd.html

AZ

PINK FLOYD

album: "The Division Bell" (1994)



http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pinkfloyd/agreatdayforfreedom.html

AZ

PINK FLOYD

"A Great Day For Freedom"


I dreamed you had left my side
No warmth, not even pride remained
And even though you needed me
It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day
As friends and neighbors turn away
And there's a change that, even with regret, cannot be undone
Now frontiers shift like desert sands
While nations wash their bloodied hands
Of loyalty, of history, in shades of grey










http://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodes/7F24.html

Stark Raving Dad [ The Simpsons ]


[Bart jots down a message] Uh huh. New Bedlam Asylum. Loves us. Needs us. Fears he may never see us again. Got it. [hangs up] Michael Jackson, woo hoo! I love you, man!


Bart relays the message...

Bart: Hey, Mom! Dad's in a mental institution!

Marge: Oh, my God... Mother was right!


Bart hums `Beat It' and does the moonwalk. Meanwhile...

Man: Don't you worry. Your family's going to be here before you know it.

Patient: Forget it, pal. There's only one way out of here, and it ain't pretty.

Homer: What's that?

Patient: Dating a nurse.

Homer: [whining] Oh!


Back at home...

Marge: I told you kids you were going to send your father to the crazy house!

Bart: No, Mom, you said poor house.

Marge: I said crazy house.

Bart: Poor house.

Marge: Crazy house.

Bart: Poor house.

Marge: Crazy house!


Marge calls the asylum...

Hello, you have reached the New Bedlam ``Wrongly Committed'' Hot-line. All of our operators are currently busy. Please stand by. [Muzak is `Crazy', Patsy Cline's biggest hit










http://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodes/7F24.html

Stark Raving Dad [ The Simpsons ]


Meanwhile, The Man shows Homer around the asylum.

Man: Homer, this is Floyd. He's an idiot savant. Give him any two numbers, and he can multiply them in his head, just like that.

Homer: Okay. Five times nine.

Floyd: Forty-five.

Homer: Wow!


He also introduces the taciturn Chief, who says, `Hello.' The doctors and nurses rush over excitedly. ``Well, it's about time somebody reached out to me.''










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/quotes

IMDb


The Simpsons (TV Series)

Stark Raving Dad (1991)

Quotes


Doctor: Mrs. Simpson, I'm sorry, but your husband suffers from a persecution complex, extreme paranoia, and... bladder hostility.

Marge: Doctor, if you just talk to him for five minutes without mentioning our son Bart, you'd see how sane he is.

Doctor: You mean there really is a Bart? Good lord!










From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 9/19/1991 is 11888 days

11888 = 5944 + 5944

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/10/1982 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Greatest American Hero"::"The Shock Will Kill You" ) is 5944 days



From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 9/19/1991 is 11888 days

11888 = 5944 + 5944

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/10/1982 ( premiere US film "Das Boot" ) is 5944 days



From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 1/17/1985 ( premiere US TV series episode "Mystery!"::"Praying Mantis 2" ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 4/18/1988 ( the United States Navy Operation Praying Mantis ) To 9/19/1991 is 1249 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/4/1969 ( Denton Cooley implants the first temporary human heart ) is 1249 days



From 7/16/1936 ( the assassination attempt on King Edward VIII ) To 4/18/1988 ( the United States Navy Operation Praying Mantis ) is 18904 days

18904 = 9452 + 9452

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 5/17/1987 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy officer survived the Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush-Iraq-Communist scheduled terrorist attack on his location onboard the United States Navy warship USS Stark FFG 31 ) To 9/19/1991 is 1586 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/7/1970 ( Richard Nixon - Statement About the Future of the United States Space Program ) is 1586 days



From 7/20/1969 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy Commander circa 1969 was United States Apollo 11 Eagle spacecraft United States Navy astronaut landing and walking on the planet Earth's moon ) To 9/19/1991 ( ) is 8096 days

8096 = 4048 + 4048

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/2/1976 ( premiere US TV miniseries "Once an Eagle" ) is 4048 days



From 5/29/1962 ( John Kennedy - Statement by the President Announcing a forthcoming White House Conference on Narcotics ) To 4/14/1988 ( the minefield and Soviet Union-George Bush torpedo damage to United States Navy warship USS Samuel B. Roberts FFG 58 and crew because my biological brother United States Navy Fleet Admiral Thomas Reagan the United States Navy SEAL was onboard that United States Navy warship USS Samuel B. Roberts FFG 58 while I US Navy FC2 Kerry Wayne Burgess was somewhere in the area in my assignment onboard the US Navy warship USS Wainwright CG 28 ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 8/17/1971 ( premiere US film "Cry Uncle" ) To 9/19/1991 is 7338 days

7338 = 3669 + 3669

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/19/1975 ( premiere US film "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" ) is 3669 days



From 11/14/1948 ( my biological paternal uncle Charles the Prince of Wales and heir apparent United Kingdom monarchy ) To 10/1/1974 ( premiere US film "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 6/6/1979 ( Jimmy Carter - Air Quality Standards in Ohio Statement on Actions by the Environmental Protection Agency To Preserve Coal-Related Jobs ) To 9/19/1991 is 4488 days

4488 = 2244 + 2244

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/25/1971 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States confined to federal prison in Mexico for illegally smuggling narcotics in Mexico ) is 2244 days



From 4/18/1944 ( premiere US film "Aviation Expert: Donald Douglas" ) To 9/19/1991 is 17320 days

17320 = 8660 + 8660

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/19/1989 ( Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush kills 111 passengers and crew of United Airlines Flight 232 and destroys the United Airlines Flight 232 aircraft because I was a passenger of United Airlines Flight 232 as United States Navy Petty Officer Second Class Kerry Wayne Burgess and I was assigned to maintain custody of a non-violent offender military prisoner of the United States ) is 8660 days



From 8/18/1917 ( Caspar Weinberger ) To 5/21/1969 ( the Princeton University doctor of medicine degree graduation of my biological brother Dr Thomas Reagan MD ) is 18904 days

18904 = 9452 + 9452

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 6/13/1939 ( Franklin Roosevelt - Greeting to the N.A.A.C.P. ) To 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate Columbia South Carolina ) is 18904 days

18904 = 9452 + 9452

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 12/11/1941 ( Germany and Italy have announced they are at war with the United States of America ) To 10/28/1967 ( Julia Roberts ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 3/2/1965 ( premiere US film "The Sound of Music" ) To 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 also known as Matthew Kline for official duty and also known as Wayne Newman for official duty ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days



From 3/2/1965 ( premiere US film "The Sound of Music" ) To 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) is 9452 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/19/1991 is 9452 days





http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/stark-raving-dad-1321/

tv.com


The Simpsons Season 3 Episode 1

Stark Raving Dad

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 1991 on FOX

AIRED: 9/19/91

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/releaseinfo

IMDb


The Simpsons (TV Series)

Stark Raving Dad (1991)

Release Info

USA 19 September 1991

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/

IMDb


The Simpsons: Season 3, Episode 1

Stark Raving Dad (19 Sep. 1991)

TV Episode

Release Date: 19 September 1991 (USA)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/quotes

IMDb


The Simpsons (TV Series)

Stark Raving Dad (1991)

Quotes


Leon Kompowsky: You know Bart, when I was growing up I didn't have much money. So you know what I did every time my sisters' birthdays rolled around?

Bart: Stiffed them?

Leon Kompowsky: No Bart, I wrote them a song to show them I cared.

Bart: I can't write a song! I'm only ten.

Leon Kompowsky: ONLY ten?, When I was your age, I had six Gold records.

Bart: Hey, Looney Tunes!

[pulls out the Thriller album]

Bart: THIS is what Michael Jackson looks like!










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=15768

The American Presidency Project

Franklin D. Roosevelt

XXXII President of the United States: 1933-1945

87 - Greeting to the N.A.A.C.P.

June 13, 1939

Dear Mr. White:

The opportunities of a democratic people to participate in national progress are legion. Their responsibilities for sharing in the achievement of that progress are equally great. We delight in recognizing the contributions which members of the Negro race have made to American life and the part which they have had in the progress of the nation.

My sincerest wish for all of you is that your opportunities may be increasingly shared and your responsibilities continuously accepted in helping the Negro race to hold fast to the advancements already made and in moving forward to higher planes of accomplishment. As an integral group in our American democracy we look to you to uphold its ideals, to help to carry its burdens and to partake of its blessings.

In extending cordial greetings to the Thirtieth Annual Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, may I express the hope that the Negro race will find steadily expanding fields in which to serve with industry, loyalty and distinction.

Very sincerely yours,

Mr. Walter White,

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People,

New York, N. Y.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-simpsons&episode=s03e01

Springfield! Springfield!


The Simpsons

Stark Raving Dad


This isn't fair! How can you tell who's sane and who's insane? We have a very simple method.
Whoever has that stamp on his hand is insane.
Put him in with the big white guy who thinks he's the little black guy.
Who are you? I'm MichaelJackson from theJacksons.
I'm Homer Simpson from the Simpsons.
I can't believe you never heard of me.
I'm a very popular entertainer.
Of course, I've heard of you.
You'd have to be living under a rock-- What's your name? MichaelJackson.
Doesn't ring a bell.
Heard of MTV or Motown? No.
''Beat It''? You beat it.
''Thriller''? What was that? - ''Thriller.
'' - No.
How about this? # BillyJean is not my lover # # She's just a girl who says that I am the one # # But the kid is not my son # # Hee-hee-hee ## Wow! How do your feet do that? The moonwalk? No, your feet! Raise your heel a bit.
Put a little pressure on the ball of your foot.
Uh-huh.
Huh? D'oh! You seem like a nice guy.
Why are you here? I wore a pink shirt.
I understand.
People thought I dressed crazy.
What did you wear? One white glove covered with rhinestones.
##and Scratchy Show ## In the split second before he died I bet Scratchy appreciated his birthday present.
Do you see how this relates to us? You want that once-a-year empty gesture? You got it.
Hey, Michael, I don't get it.
These guys seem as normal as you and me.
Homer, this is Floyd.
He's an idiot savant.
He can multiply any two numbers in his head just like that.
Five times nine.
Forty-five.
Wow! This guy is the chief.
He's been here since 1 968.
Never says a word.
Hey, Chief.
Hello.
It's about time somebody reach out to me.
























http://aerospacedefenseforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ah-64-apache-1.jpg










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059742/releaseinfo

IMDb


The Sound of Music (1965)

Release Info

USA 2 March 1965 (New York City, New York) (premiere)










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=sound-of-music-the

Springfield! Springfield!


Sound of Music, The (1965)


The hills are alive
With the sound of music
With songs they have sung
For a thousand years
The hills fill my heart
With the sound of music
My heart wants to sing
Every song it hears
My heart wants to beat like the wings
Of the birds that rise
From the lake to the trees
My heart wants to sigh
Like a chime that flies
From a church on a breeze
To laugh like a brook
When it trips and falls
Over stones on its way
To sing through the night
Like a lark who is learning to pray
I go to the hills
When my heart is lonely
I know I will hear
What I've heard before
My heart will be blessed
With the sound of music
And I'll sing...
...once more










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/stark-raving-dad-1321/trivia/

tv.com


The Simpsons Season 3 Episode 1

Stark Raving Dad

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 1991 on FOX

Quotes


Homer: Marge, I can't wear a pink shirt to work. Everybody wears white shirts. I'm not popular enough to be different!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/quotes

IMDb


The Simpsons (TV Series)

Stark Raving Dad (1991)

Quotes


Montgomery Burns: Why is that man wearing pink? Smithers, who is that?

Waylon Smithers: Homer Simpson, one of your boobs from sector 7-G.

Montgomery Burns: Simpson, eh? Judging from his attire, he must be some kind of free-thinking anarchist.

Waylon Smithers: I'll alert security.

Montgomery Burns: Excellent! These color monitors are already paying for themselves.










http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/06/1041566359326.html

FairfaxDigital

THE AGE


Edward's would-be killer leaves a trail of doubt

January 7 2003

The assassination attempt on King Edward VIII was dismissed at the time as the act of a madman. But was it really? Andrew Cook looks at the evidence.

King Edward VIII is best remembered today for his suspected Nazi sympathies and the abdication crisis that brought a sudden end to his short reign. It is now long forgotten that his time on the throne might have been even briefer had an incident on July 16, 1936, had a more sinister outcome.

Now, 67 years later, new research and the belated release to the public record office of one of the previously closed files on the affair raises new questions about what actually occurred that day and why.

The morning of July 16 was sunny and the crowds lining Constitution Hill, London, were three to four deep. Like many in the crowd, Alice Lawrence had been waiting patiently for a glimpse of the king's procession as it returned to Buckingham Palace from a colours ceremony in Hyde Park.

Waiting for a sign that the parade was on its way, those around her had their eyes trained on Wellington Arch - apart from one short, stocky man in a well-worn, brown suit to her immediate left, who every so often turned to look over his shoulder towards the railings of Green Park. It was there, earlier on, that she had first noticed him talking intently to a tall, well-dressed man with a moustache and hat.

About 12.25 the sound of distant cheering told the crowd that the king had left Hyde Park and was only a few minutes away. The man in the brown suit was now gazing at something in his left hand and tapping his thigh with the newspaper he held in the other. At 12.30 the military band leading the parade emerged from Wellington Arch as rippled applause and cheering broke out at the top of Constitution Hill. Following close behind was the king on horseback, in full-dress scarlet tunic and bearskin. As the king's horse passed Mrs Lawrence, the man's newspaper fell to the ground, revealing a revolver, which he raised and levelled at the king. Without thinking, Mrs Lawrence instinctively grabbed his arm and cried out. Alerted by the cry, Special Constable Anthony Dick spun around and, seeing the revolver, struck the man's lower arm with his fist, causing the gun to fly out of his hand and into the roadway.

The man, identified as George Andrew McMahon, was taken to Hyde Park Police Station, where he was cautioned by Chief Inspector Sands. During the car journey McMahon had told Sands that he had no intention of harming the king, and "only did it as a protest". A body search yielded an envelope containing a picture postcard of the king along with two rounds of ammunition for his revolver, and the newspaper he had dropped. On examination, the words, "May I Love You" were found pencilled on the back page.

One of the first telegrams Edward received that afternoon on his safe return to Buckingham Palace was from Adolf Hitler, who told him: "I have just received the news of the abominable attempt on the life of Your Majesty, and send my heartiest congratulations on your escape."

Although McMahon made no further statements that day, and only cursory inquiries by the police had been made, the king was told that evening that Scotland Yard had "unravelled the mystery". McMahon, he was informed, was "a frustrated Irish journalist who had convinced himself that the secretary of state for home affairs had conspired to prevent him from publishing a journal called the Human Gazette". His action was apparently not an attempt to harm the king, but to publicise this perceived injustice.

Special Branch later established that McMahon's real name was Jerome Bannigan and that he was suspected to have Nazi sympathies. Several members of the public later came forward to confirm that they had seen McMahon selling the fascist newspaper the Black Shirt in west London. When McMahon finally appeared at the Old Bailey in London in September, he gave a detailed account of what he maintained was behind the incident. He said he had been approached in October the previous year by an English intermediary who introduced him to representatives of "a foreign power" outside their embassy. A further meeting took place at which they discussed the injustices in Ireland and suggested that he could help their cause. McMahon maintained that he had reported this to MI5 (British counter-intelligence) and then kept in touch with them. Some months later, not long after the death of Edward's father, King George V, it was first suggested by those he had met in October that he become involved in an assassination attempt on the new King Edward. McMahon maintained that he never had any intention of doing the king any harm and was merely going through the motions while informing MI5 about the plot. He was, he claimed, approached by an MI5 officer on the Monday before the incident.

The Times echoed the widely held belief that McMahon's "melodramatic" story was, "reared as an afterthought" in his defence. This view now seems unlikely in light of inquiries made by Alfred Kerstein, McMahon's lawyer. He had not only been in correspondence with police and the war office in an attempt to corroborate McMahon's story, but had received confirmation from Chief Inspector Sands that McMahon had indeed been in communication with MI5. Sands, however, had refused to comment further on when the meeting with the MI5 officer took place or the information that had been imparted. It is also clear that Kerstein had established the identity of this officer.

If McMahon acted alone, who was the "tall, well-dressed man" he was talking to minutes before his arrest? If MI5 was aware of McMahon in the context of the story he told the jury, what had he told them and to what extent, if any, had they any knowledge that something might occur on July 16?

According to the police, the words, "May I love you", found on the discarded newspaper, referred to McMahon's wife. However, Rose McMahon was rarely referred to as May. Besides, she was not the only May in McMahon's life. Had the nine other occupants who lived at McMahon's London address been interviewed, one May Galley might well have attracted some attention. A close friend of a small group of German-speaking Austrian emigres, May and her associates were seen with McMahon on several occasions. At least one of her emigre friends had been a member of the Austrian Communist Party and would briefly come to the attention of MI5 two years later in connection with Soviet espionage activities at Woolwich Arsenal in south London.

It is clear from the notes McMahon gave to Kerstein about the "foreign power" that he was referring to Nazi Germany. However, none of the names he wrote down match any on the German diplomatic list for 1936 or any other German individuals residing in Britain who were known to be associated with the regime. It would seem that those named were either figments of his imagination or were alternatively individuals posing as Germans. If the "Nazis" McMahon was in contact with were Austrians, a whole new complexion is cast on the story.

In the end, if anyone was seeking to manipulate an impressionable malcontent with three minor convictions for fraud, whose story in the event of arrest would be unlikely to be believed, who better than George Andrew McMahon? Whether McMahon, the classic "lone-nut" assassin, ever had any intention of pulling the trigger may never be known. The full knowledge of his true intentions died with him in 1970. However, it now seems likely that the story he told the Old Bailey jury may have been the tip of a much larger iceberg.

- Guardian










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=2903

The American Presidency Project

Richard Nixon

XXXVII President of the United States: 1969-1974

73 - Statement About the Future of the United States Space Program

March 7, 1970

OVER the last decade, the principal goal of our Nation's space program has been the moon. By the end of that decade men from our planet had traveled to the moon on four occasions and twice they had walked on its surface. With these unforgettable experiences, we have gained a new perspective of ourselves and our world.

I believe these accomplishments should help us gain a new perspective of our space program as well. Having completed that long stride into the future which has been our objective for the past decade, we must now define new goals which make sense for the seventies. We must build on the successes of the past, always reaching out for new achievements. But we must also recognize that many critical problems here on this planet make high priority demands on our attention and our resources. By no means should we allow our space program to stagnate. But--with the entire future and the entire universe before us-we should not try to do everything at once. Our approach to space must continue to be bold--but it must also be balanced.

When this administration came into office, there were no clear, comprehensive plans for our space program after the first Apollo landing. To help remedy this situation, I established in February of 1969 a space task group, headed by the Vice President, to study possibilities for the future of that program. Their report was presented to me in September. After reviewing that report and considering our national priorities, I have reached a number of conclusions concerning the future pace and direction of the Nation's space efforts. The budget recommendations which I have sent to the Congress for fiscal year 1971 are based on these conclusions.

THREE GENERAL PURPOSES

In my judgment, three general purpose should guide our space program.

One purpose is exploration. From time immemorial, man has insisted on venturing into the unknown despite his inability to predict precisely the value of any given exploration. He has been willing to take risks, willing to be surprised, willing to adapt to new experiences. Man has come. to feel that such quests are worthwhile in and of themselves--for they represent one way in which he expands his vision and expresses the human spirit. A great nation must always be an exploring nation if it wishes to remain great.

A second purpose of our space program is scientific knowledge--a greater systematic understanding about ourselves and our universe. With each of our space ventures, man's total information about nature has been dramatically expanded; the human race was able to learn more about the Moon and Mars in a few hours last summer than had been learned in all the centuries that had gone before. The people who perform this important work are not only those who walk in space suits while millions watch or those who launch powerful rockets in a burst of flame. Much of our scientific progress comes in laboratories and offices, where dedicated, inquiring men and women decipher new facts and add them to old ones in ways which reveal new truths. The abilities of these scientists constitute one of our most valuable national resources. I believe that our space program should help these people in their work and should be attentive to their suggestions.

A third purpose of the United States space effort is that of practical application-turning the lessons we learn in space to the early benefit of life on earth. Examples of such lessons are manifold; they range from new medical insights to new methods of communication, from better weather forecasts to new management techniques and new ways of providing energy. But these lessons will not apply themselves; we must make a concerted effort to see that the results of our space research are used to the maximum advantage of the human community.

A CONTINUING PROCESS

We must see our space effort, then, not only as an adventure of today but also as an investment in tomorrow. We did not go to the moon merely for the sport of it. To be sure, those undertakings have provided an exciting adventure for all mankind and we are proud that it was our Nation that met this challenge. But the most important thing about man's first footsteps on the moon is what they promise for the future.

We must realize that space activities will be a part of our lives for the rest of time. We must think of them as part of a continuing process--one which will go on day in and day out, year in and year out-and not as a series of separate leaps, each requiring a massive concentration of energy and will and accomplished on a crash timetable. Our space program should not be planned in a rigid manner, decade by decade, but on a continuing flexible basis, one which takes into account our changing needs and our expanding knowledge.

We must also realize that space expenditures must take their proper place within a rigorous system of national priorities. What we do in space from here on in must become a normal and regular part of our national life and must therefore be planned in conjunction with all of the other undertakings which are also important to us. The space budget which I have sent to Congress for fiscal year 1971 is lower than the budget for fiscal year 1970, a condition which reflects the fiscal constraints under which we presently operate and the competing demands of other programs. I am confident, however, that the funding I have proposed will allow our space program to make steady and impressive progress.

SIX SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES

With these general considerations in mind, I have concluded that our space program should work toward the following specific objectives:

1. We should continue to explore the moon. Future Apollo manned lunar landings will be spaced so as to maximize our scientific return from each mission, always providing, of course, for the safety of those who undertake these ventures. Our decisions about manned and unmanned lunar voyages beyond the Apollo program will he based on the results of these missions.

2. We should move ahead with bold exploration of the planets and the universe. In the next few years, scientific satellites of many types will be launched into earth orbit to bring us new information about the universe, the solar system, and even our own planet. During the next decade, we will also launch unmanned spacecraft to all the planets of our solar system, including an unmanned vehicle which will be sent to land on Mars and to investigate its surface. In the late 1970's, the "Grand Tour" missions will study the mysterious outer planets of the solar system-Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. The positions of the planets at that time will give us a unique opportunity to launch missions which can visit several of them on a single flight of over 3 billion miles. Preparations for this program will begin in 1972.

There is one major but longer-range goal we should keep in mind as we proceed with our exploration of the planets. As a part of this program we will eventually send men to explore the planet Mars.

3. We should work to reduce substantially the cost of space operations. Our present rocket technology will provide a reliable launch capability for some time. But as we build for the longer-range future, we must devise less costly and less complicated ways of transporting payloads into space. Such a capability-designed so that it will be suitable for a wide range of scientific, defense, and commercial uses--can help us realize important economies in all aspects of our space program. We are currently examining in greater detail the feasibility of reusable space shuttles as one way of achieving this objective.

4. We should seek to extend man's capability to live and work in space. The Experimental Space Station (XSS)--a large orbiting workshop--will be an important part of this effort. We are now building such a station--using systems originally developed for the Apollo program--and plan to begin using it for operational missions in the next few years. We expect that men will be working in space for months at a time during the coming decade.

We have much to learn about what man can and cannot do in space. On the basis of our experience with the XSS, we will decide when and how to develop longer lived space stations. Flexible, long-lived space station modules could provide a multipurpose space platform for the longer-range future and ultimately become a building block for manned interplanetary travel.

5. We should hasten and expand the practical applications of space technology. The development of earth resources satellites-platforms which can help in such varied tasks as surveying crops, locating mineral deposits, and measuring water resources--will enable us to assess our environment and use our resources more effectively. We should continue to pursue other applications of space-related technology in a wide variety of fields, including meteorology, communications, navigation, air traffic control, education, and national defense. The very act of reaching into space can help man improve the! quality of life on earth.

6. We should encourage greater inter. national cooperation in space. In my address to the United Nations last September, I indicated that the United States will take positive, concrete steps "toward internationalizing man's epic venture into space--an adventure that belongs not to one nation but to all mankind. I believe that both the adventures and the applications of space missions should be shard by all peoples. Our progress will be faster and our accomplishments will be greater if nations will join together in this effort, both in contributing the resources and in enjoying the benefits. Unmanned scientific payloads from other nations already make use of our space launch capability on a cost-shared basis; we look forward to the day when these arrangements can be extended to larger applications satellites and astronaut crews. The Administrator of NASA recently met with the space authorities of Western Europe, Canada, Japan, and Australia in an effort to find ways in which we can cooperate more effectively in space.

It is important, I believe, that the space program of the United States meet these six objectives. A program which achieves these goals will be a balanced space program, one which will extend our capabilities and knowledge and one which will put our new learning to work for the immediate benefit of all people.

As we enter a new decade, we are conscious of the fact that man is also entering a new historic era. For the first time, he has reached beyond his planet; for the rest of time, we will think of ourselves as men from the planet earth. It is my hope that as we go forward with our space program, we can plan and work in a way which makes us proud both of the planet from which we come and of our ability to travel beyond it.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/quotes

IMDb


The Hunt for Red October (1990)

Quotes


Admiral James Greer: Now, understand, Commander, that torpedo did not self-destruct. You heard it hit the hull. And I...

[showing him his identification]

Admiral James Greer: ... was never here.










https://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/topics/apollo/apollo-program/landing-missions/apollo11-facts.cfm

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum


The Apollo Program


APOLLO 11

Facts

Lunar Module: Eagle

Command and Service Module: Columbia


Launch: July 16, 1969

13:32:00 UT (09:32 a.m. EDT) Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39A

Landing Site: Mare Tranquillitatis (Sea of Tranquility)


Landed on Moon: July 20, 1969

20:17:40 UT (4:17:40 p.m. EDT)

First step: 02:56:15 UT July 21, 1969

(10:56:15 p.m. EDT July 20, 1969)

EVA Duration: 2 hours, 31 minutes


LM Departed Moon: July 21, 1969

17:54:01 UT (1:54:01 p.m. EDT)

Time on Lunar Surface: 21 hours, 38 minutes, 21 seconds










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1734358/releaseinfo

IMDb


Once an Eagle (TV Mini-Series)

Part 1 (1976)

Release Info

USA 2 December 1976

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1734358/

IMDb


Once an Eagle: Season 1, Episode 1

Part 1 (2 Dec. 1976)

TV Episode

Sam Damon, from small-town Nebraska, finds life in the U.S. Army, just prior to World War I, so appealing that he breaks off his relationship with Celia, his childhood sweetheart. When war does break out, Sam is sent to fight in France where his courage and initiative raise him in rank from private to sergeant to lieutenant to captain. Along the way he crosses paths with an assertive nurse - "Tommy" Caldwell, daughter of Col. Caldwell - and an ambitious officer, Courtenay Massengale, whose promotions have come from manipulating his contacts with his superiors.

Release Date: 2 December 1976 (USA)










http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_688682

Smithsonian

The National Museum of AMERICAN HISTORY


Liotta-Cooley Artificial Heart

DESCRIPTION

This is the first total artificial heart implanted in a human body. It was developed by Domingo Liotta and implanted by surgeon Denton Cooley on April 4, 1969, at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston. The recipient, Haskell Karp, lived for sixty-four hours with the artificial heart pumping oxygenated blood through his body until a human heart was available for transplant.



http://www.texasheart.org/Research/Devices/liotta.cfm

Texas Heart Institute


Liotta Total Artificial Heart

This device is described here for historical purposes. It is no longer in use.

On April 4, 1969, Dr. Denton A. Cooley performed the first total artificial heart implant in the world. The device, developed by Dr. Domingo Liotta, was implanted in a 47-year-old patient with severe heart failure. The Liotta heart supported the patient for nearly three days, at which time a donor heart was found for transplantation. This experience showed doctors that patients could be "bridged" to transplantation, meaning that mechanical circulatory support systems could be used to keep a patient alive until a donor heart is found.










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-greatest-american-hero/the-shock-will-kill-you-78713/

tv.com


The Greatest American Hero Season 2 Episode 13

The Shock Will Kill You

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 1982 on ABC

AIRED: 2/10/82










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/releaseinfo

IMDb


Das Boot (1981)

Release Info

USA 10 February 1982










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=das-boot

Springfield! Springfield!


Das Boot (1981)


- Top secret. For the captain only.
Very strange.
It's triple enciphered.
Christmas in La Rochelle.
Real girls in Christmas stockings.
Sexy little nurses
to comfort and kiss.
- We'll have a ball!
- A Valkyrie, big and fat.
Now here this.
La Rochelle is out I'm sorry.
We have a new destination.
La Spezia Naval Base in Italy.
We'll pick up fuel and supplies
at Vigo in Spain. That's all.
Swine. He must be crazy.
- What a rotten trick.
- There goes our Christmas stocking.
- No sexy little nurses.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-simpsons&episode=s03e01

Springfield! Springfield!


The Simpsons

Stark Raving Dad


Bart.
Bart! Hey, Bart.
Lisa! It's 6:00 a.m.
Something's wrong.
Dad died.
No, no, he's fine.
What do you know? I'm relieved.
My birthday's in two days.
I'll be eight years old.
It's a big number-- almost double digits.
Enjoy it while you can.
Everything changes when you hit the big 1 -0.
Your legs go.
Candy doesn't taste as good.
Let me pour my little heart out.
Sorry.
This old-timer does ramble on sometimes.
I do so much for you and you have disappointed me - on all my birthdays.
- Okay.
I've made things for you-- Okay, okay, okay! It's done.
Birthday gift coming your way! Oh, thank you.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701217/quotes

IMDb


The Simpsons (TV Series)

Stark Raving Dad (1991)

Quotes


Homer: [Being shown an inkblot that looks like Bart] THE BOY!










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo%E2%80%93Soyuz_Test_Project

Apollo–Soyuz Test Project

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Apollo–Soyuz Test Project (ASTP), conducted in July 1975, was the first joint U.S.–Soviet space flight, and the last flight of an Apollo spacecraft.


Docking

First docking: July 17, 1975 - 16:19:09 UTC

Last undocking: July 19, 1975 - 15:26:12 UTC


Launch and mission

The Soyuz and Apollo flights launched within seven-and-a-half hours of each other on July 15










https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11


Apollo 11

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apollo 11 was the first spaceflight that landed humans on the Moon


Mission highlights


A Saturn V launched Apollo 11 from Launch Pad 39A, part of the Launch Complex 39 site at the Kennedy Space Center on July 16, 1969










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-simpsons&episode=s03e01

Springfield! Springfield!


The Simpsons

Stark Raving Dad


[ Lisa Simpson: ] Dear Bart I am using the stationery Mom and Dad gave me for my birthday to inform you that we are now brother and sister in name only. Perhaps, if a professional so advises I will give you a hug at some far distant family reunion but rest assured, it will be purely for show.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 06:47 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Saturday 26 December 2015